Pre-Game Talk: Jets in Helsinki

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The dark actually ****s up your brain for half a year. I'd trade it to some -30 to -40 with pleasure. I know you won't believe it before you experience it, but It's crazy what it does to your mood.

Not saying that a weather that cold is nice either. It's just easier to get away from.

Weak minded individuals.

It's as easy to get out of the cold as it is the dark.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
True, early November isn't that dark, but it's very depressing since the weather is pretty much rainy and cloudy. That's probably what people are getting at. My earlier remark about rather having cold weather than really short days was just about winter months in general.

I'll second this any day of the week! Give me cold over darkness. Can't even imagine how bad it is up there considering Denmark was enough to make me flee to palm trees. Winter depression is a real thing that I definitely don't miss.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I swear. Finland is not SO awful place to visit. Not even in november:laugh:;)
Helsinki is expensive and boring. And November might actually be the worst month to visit Helsinki. It's going to be dark, not necessarily because of the sun, but because of constant cloud coverage and no snow to reflect the light. Also even if the temperature doesn't fall below zero, it's still going to feel pretty chilly because of the humidity and the windiness of the coast. I don't think dry freezing temperatures feel nearly as bad.

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
Helsinki is expensive and boring. And November might actually be the worst month to visit Helsinki. It's going to be dark, not necessarily because of the sun, but because of constant cloud coverage and no snow to reflect the light. Also even if the temperature doesn't fall below zero, it's still going to feel pretty chilly because of the humidity and the windiness of the coast. I don't think dry freezing temperatures feel nearly as bad.
..Or then you could tell some tips what a hockey fan can do in that boring and expensive city:laugh::thumbu:

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
But you guys aren't actually from Helsinki, right?
I used to live 9 years in the city and been living the rest of my live on the area (23 years bn the bordering city and 9 years on the suburb town 30 kilometers away). I've also been working on the city the last 15+ years, so I do find my way around.

Reactions: roccerfeller

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Oh that's good. Do you have any particular recommendations of things to do or places to go to? What is typical Finnish food and where should you get it in Helsinki?

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Oh that's good. Do you have any particular recommendations of things to do or places to go to? What is typical Finnish food and where should you get it in Helsinki?
Well, the Finnish taste these days is pretty “international” but I guess you were referring to our traditional dishes instead. Traditional Finnish food is for the most part basically Scandinavian with some Russian influences. Helsinki has lots of restaurants serving traditional/updated Finnish dishes. This article introduces 9 of the most well-known ones. If you want to sort the restaurants yourself, I recommend using Tripadvisor or such. Mind that Tripadvisor don’t have a possibility to choose a “Finnish” restaurant, but “Scandinavian” will do the job.

I guess you were after some first-hand opinions also, but I’m afraid I have to disappoint you a bit regarding to that, as I pretty rarely eat on Finnish restaurants, or these days eat out in Helsinki at all. Anyways, some restaurants that fit the category and I’ve liked are: Kosmos, Ravintola Lasipalatsi, Ravintola Savoy. Of these three the first two are affordable and the third one quite expensive, although lunch is reasonably priced there also. If you don’t want to be surprised, I recommend checking out the restaurants website first. They can easily be found by google and all of them have the site in English also, including menus with prices.

Reactions: GJF

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland

buy beer and drink it in parks, typical food is kebab and pizza. Sometimes mcdonalds

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So any thoughts on if the live crowd is going to be into this or are people going to be passive observers? You have Laine on one team and Barkov on the other team so Fins have star players on both sides? Is this going to be a big deal or is it a lower priority novelty type event?

Am I right is assuming Laine is a bigger star in Finland than Barkov? Why is that I think Ales might be the better player currently although Pate is awesome and has the swagger?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
So any thoughts on if the live crowd is going to be into this or are people going to be passive observers? You have Laine on one team and Barkov on the other team so Fins have star players on both sides? Is this going to be a big deal or is it a lower priority novelty type event?

Am I right is assuming Laine is a bigger star in Finland than Barkov? Why is that I think Ales might be the better player currently although Pate is awesome and has the swagger?
It's Finland. I wouldn't expect a German soccer crowd. I think people will observe and cheer for both sides whenever they make plays.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's Finland. I wouldn't expect a German soccer crowd. I think people will observe and cheer for both sides whenever they make plays.

It would be similar here if the roles were reversed. Winnipeg has a passionate Jets crowd but they were tepid when it came to watching teams that weren’t their own or at least nationally linked.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Yeah, you are right. They are the two biggest stars, and Laine is the bigger one here. Like PoMo above, I also think it will be cheering for both sides. Jets maybe a bit more, as Jets is getting more media time here due to Laine (and Teemu). The friday game is likely to be a bit louder, for obvious reasons.

I have to be a bit boring too, but My Helsinki (like FinJetster linked) has some good lists of different types of restaurants in Helsinki, ranging from street food to the finer options. The cafes and restaurants they list are relevant and liked by locals, not just any random tourist traps. The market halls are also very nice if you want to try some Finnish delicacies, like traditional pastries, or any imaginable form of salmon or reindeer etc.

Obviously if you are into it, try the saunas. Allas Sea Pool is nice, they have a sea water pool and a warmed pool on top of the Baltic Sea. Löyly is the most famous sauna here, a unique building that was recently chosen as one of TIME magazine's world's 100 greatest places.

Reactions: GJF and ps241

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
True, early November isn't that dark, but it's very depressing since the weather is pretty much rainy and cloudy. That's probably what people are getting at. My earlier remark about rather having cold weather than really short days was just about winter months in general.

Combined with the fact they are most probably working during that daylight time. You go to the work in darkness and get back in darkness. If there is snow and clear sky, it's pretty nice, but without snow and raining water it's so black and pretty depressing.

Back in the day when those head lamps were basically nonexistent, LED technology or even MagLite was not invented yet, I remember skiing many times with only moonlight and stars. With white snow, that works nicely, and you can feel that there is quite a lot light.

At military we got trained with night vision goggles, but as they were using image intensifier technology, in a dark, wet forest with full cloud cover at late October you still could see almost nothing as some light is needed so that you could intensify it. As there was next to none to begin with, darkness stayed dark even with high tech.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad