Jets in game music

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
We're gonna cheer to one song, and one song only. Lady Humps by the Black Eyed Peas.

230114_908223010.png

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
CAN WE PLEASE DISPENSE WITH THE DINOSAURS OF ROCK CRAP?!!!!

It's 2016! I'm sick of the 70's 80's 90's music.

Something from this decade perhaps? At least from this century!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I'd love to see a song with a guitar riff.... Something like this would do

As an ex DJ, this song's only purpose is its long enough to allow for a bathroom break.

Now depending on what you needed to do in that bathroom break, this song might not be long enough, which in that case, Paradise by the Dashboard Lights would be a better choice. But both songs make me kinda puke in my mouth.

The only other acceptable place for Black Betty is if you are watching Blow with the montage were they are making stacks of cash.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
wait...
so the fighter pilot helmet's ridiculous but "Dancing Babes" isn't? lolzx9

Hahahaha I just died

The fighter helmet is actually pretty neat in my opinion. Since when do fighters have flight attendants haha

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

2016 has garbage music tho

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
2016 has garbage music tho

If that's what you think, then you're listening to the wrong 2016 music. ;) There's tons of good new music out there.

I grew up with the stuff from the 80's, and enjoy listening to music from the 50's to today, but I do agree that it'd be nice if they moved on from some of the old 80's standby's.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Hee hee. Dinosaurs became extinct, our music never will. :p:

However, I could get behind the rousing chorus from Avenged Sevenfold's Hail to the King. After all, we will soon be hailing the king.

The Laine King! (yes, you heard it here first) :nod:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Avenged Sevenfold worked really well and they screwed up changing it.

I've been told this was Rev Theory lol

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If that's what you think, then you're listening to the wrong 2016 music. ;) There's tons of good new music out there.

I grew up with the stuff from the 80's, and enjoy listening to music from the 50's to today, but I do agree that it'd be nice if they moved on from some of the old 80's standby's.

I'm referring to the radio

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty much every posters' 2016-2017 roster predictions have half the team being 18-25 & the other half 26-31. Having worked many events with Jets in attendance I can tell you first hand that a good portion enjoy country, the Europeans all EDM with only a small percentage like Stafford liking rock, in his case metal.

Yes of course the music played is meant to enhance the entertainment value to the fans in attendance, but with the team itself being as young as they are, shouldn't to at least a small degree the music be identifiable to them, particularly during warm-up when most fans aren't yet even in the arena anyways?

When a goal is scored does a track that didn't dent the top 40 way back in 1959 really inspire this team at all? Even if the more identifiable version from the 1978 soundtrack of Animal House was used, is it any better?

I believe the mean demographic of age pertaining to the fans in attendance is mid 40's & if you were to go through this crowd itunes purchases it would be mostly music released from the late 80's-today.

Regardless of their stature as being one of the most influential bands of all time, True North can certainly do much better for a goal song than selections from the Isley Brothers.

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Radios been crap for a long time. They overplay everything so much you begin to hate even the little quality music they actually play.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm referring to the radio

Then I agree with you. Haven't listened to the radio in at least a decade - prefer to curate my own music via online services. There's TONS of good new stuff that would make for excellent in-game music, IMHO.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Then I agree with you. Haven't listened to the radio in at least a decade - prefer to curate my own music via online services. There's TONS of good new stuff that would make for excellent in-game music, IMHO.

It's been decades of the "big four" record labels monopolizing the music industry worldwide & the recent demise of EMI now has 3 major record labels owning essentially everything one hears everyday be it on commercial radio, satellite radio, itunes, youtube, spotify, ect. All provide the exact same content within whatever genre one listens to.

Yes great music still exists, but the masses are certainly not subjected to it to the degree that would warrant any of it being played at MTS Centre. As a rule people want to hear music that is familiar to them & this has never been more the case than in todays' world.

This past year Billboard reported that for the first time ever catalogue music outsold new releases. Even then to a large degree most every new release samples a past recording.

There is no way anything from an independent record label will ever find it's way into a commercial playlist at MTS Centre or any other sporting venue in North America so what we're left choosing from is music that the public is already to a some degree is either familiar with or is a current priority of Universal, Sony or Warner.

Every song appearing currently on the Hot 100, Country, & Rock charts is owned & distributed by the labels listed above. It is rare to ever have anything beyond their respective catalogue appear or played as much as once via a mainstream method.

The one exception over the past decade was EDM charts, but this once underground genre crossed over many years ago with 90% of these artists now distributed by the aforementioned labels.

You man be able to escape it's grasp at home & in your car, but you'll never hear anything "indie" in a large public venue other than at a festival.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
*checks calendar*. What year do you guys i have?.. mine says 2016.....

Radio.....radio....I feel like I've heard that word before but can't place it.

Oh! Is that the weird thing in your car you listen to when you reach your data limit on your phone?

Jk

But if your still using the radio as your primary exposure to music now your 2016ing wrong. I'd also argue that "young people" don't even listen to whTs on the radio because I don't know the last time I've heard of a young person LISTENING to the radio.

The narrative of "musics dead radio killed everything blah blah" started dieing about five years ago and received the deathknell with the mass penetration of Spotify etc.

Now to listen to new music I think of a band I like from a genre I want to listen to, type it in, and spend the next 2 hours listening to an array of music by similar artists MANY of which, arguably MOST of which are not signed to the big three.

All this said I am HEAVILY OPPOSED to using any music from the 70s-earky 90s rock because well, that's just one more thing that makes it feel like a gigantic portion of our fan base went into stasis in 95, just woke up in 2011 when the team came back, and thinks the NHL, hockey, and everything associated with it out the exact same beast they were obsessed with 20 years ago.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I should also preface my distaste for classic/arena rock stems from growing up in a small town where this music was in fact the music played on everybody's radio every single day until your ears bled.

It wasn't better, just a different kind of awful.

As for genre of game sing I'd love something g sort of folksy, foot stomping, barroom singalongy but Boston's kind of cornered that market with dropkick Murphy's.

Something like that but not exactly the same. Maybe there some sort of outlaw country gem out there that'd work.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
*checks calendar*. What year do you guys i have?.. mine says 2016.....

Radio.....radio....I feel like I've heard that word before but can't place it.

Oh! Is that the weird thing in your car you listen to when you reach your data limit on your phone?

Jk

But if your still using the radio as your primary exposure to music now your 2016ing wrong. I'd also argue that "young people" don't even listen to whTs on the radio because I don't know the last time I've heard of a young person LISTENING to the radio.

The narrative of "musics dead radio killed everything blah blah" started dieing about five years ago and received the deathknell with the mass penetration of Spotify etc.

Now to listen to new music I think of a band I like from a genre I want to listen to, type it in, and spend the next 2 hours listening to an array of music by similar artists MANY of which, arguably MOST of which are not signed to the big three.

All this said I am HEAVILY OPPOSED to using any music from the 70s-earky 90s rock because well, that's just one more thing that makes it feel like a gigantic portion of our fan base went into stasis in 95, just woke up in 2011 when the team came back, and thinks the NHL, hockey, and everything associated with it out the exact same beast they were obsessed with 20 years ago.

I'd have to completely disagree

https://spotifycharts.com/regional

Every artist in this top 200 are on Universal, Sony or Warner.

Without even bothering to glance I'll tell you the math on this will be 55% Universal, 25% Sony & 10% Warner.

It's pretty much a verbatum list of the current Billboard Hot 100.

The only difference of course is that as a listener you can stray briefly from the beaten path, but if you're not clicking away on your desktop in the end the algorhthym used will bring you right back to what you'd hear on traditional radio.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I should also preface my distaste for classic/arena rock stems from growing up in a small town where this music was in fact the music played on everybody's radio every single day until your ears bled.

It wasn't better, just a different kind of awful.

As for genre of game sing I'd love something g sort of folksy, foot stomping, barroom singalongy but Boston's kind of cornered that market with dropkick Murphy's.

Something like that but not exactly the same. Maybe there some sort of outlaw country gem out there that'd work.

Which is why I suggested Daniel Ratecliff "S.O.B." in this thread 10 months ago while it was just beginning to trend. Perfect track for a singalong, catchy as hell, lonly a year old & no one else uses it. Only problem is the lyrics, but who needs the chorus. Just:

"Mhm, mhm
Mhm, mhm, mhm, mhm
Mhm, mhm
Mhm, mhm, mhm, mhm"

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I spent several years using Chelsea Dagger as a sports song at events I worked. I was quite pleased when the Blackhawks adopted it as their song.

There's lots of great modern rock by bands like the Fratellis, but you wouldn't know it living in Winnipeg where rock radio refuses to play anything that doesn't sound like it could have been written by Kim MItchell. (ps I have a signed box of patio lanterns by Kim himself along with Paul DeLong and Bob Wilson if anyone is interested)

Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Neon Trees, MGMT, The Strokes, Fitz & The Tantrums are all good examples of artists that the UK considers rock, but North America in general traditionally dismisses.

That's one of the great things about streaming services like Spotify. There's certainly no regional bias when it comes to programming.

Jetz

Dec 21, 2011
Omnipresent
Yes of course the music played is meant to enhance the entertainment value to the fans in attendance, but with the team itself being as young as they are, shouldn't to at least a small degree the music be identifiable to them, particularly during warm-up when most fans aren't yet even in the arena anyways?

It's well known that the Jets players pick all the warm-up songs... I don't recall ever hearing classic rock in the warm-up.

I spent several years using Chelsea Dagger as a sports song at events I worked. I was quite pleased when the Blackhawks adopted it as their song.

There's lots of great modern rock by bands like the Fratellis, but you wouldn't know it living in Winnipeg where rock radio refuses to play anything that doesn't sound like it could have been written by Kim MItchell. (ps I have a signed box of patio lanterns by Kim himself along with Paul DeLong and Bob Wilson if anyone is interested)

Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Neon Trees, MGMT, The Strokes, Fitz & The Tantrums are all good examples of artists that the UK considers rock, but North America in general traditionally dismisses.

That's one of the great things about streaming services like Spotify. There's certainly no regional bias when it comes to programming.

They used to play Chelsea Dagger (and a few other Fratellis songs) a lot during Moose games the first time they were here. They stopped playing Chelsea Dagger when it changed to the Jets. I presume it was to avoid a clash with Chicago.

I have heard songs from Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, MGMT, The Strokes, Fitz & The Tantrums at the rink. I don't recall hearing Neon Trees at the rink though.

Ninja edit: I agree about Winnipeg radio being a wasteland for music. Hopefully, now that Power97 is back they will start to play some new rock and not just a new album from Kiss or ACDC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad