Post-Game Talk: Jets hit break on a good note!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Obviously. I don't think it is necessary to state that something is an opinion when there is no possibility whatsoever of it being anything else.

I don't think you have any way of knowing this. There is always a possibility.

You obviously have extreme bias regarding this player. If that's what you're trying to say. I get it.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
This. These things have a way of balancing out over time. Bucky hasn't miraculously turned into an elite goalie in the off season. I predict he will revert to his norm, which is less than average. 4 wins in 7 games will become 3 wins in 7, 2 wins in 7. Don't expect Mason to help. Once again, Chevy has saddled us with another loser in goal. Could I be wrong? Sure, but so far the history of this franchise says, pessimists come out on top.
Hellebuyck's norm is not less than average as Mortimer Snerd pointed out. His worst season was last year where he won 26 out of 49 decisions, which was a 3.71 win per 7 game win rate. His history is that of a well above average goalie and it seems that his seeking outside coaching help in the offseason has helped mitigate the Flaherty effect. Beyond this season's vey good statistical results Hellebuyck's play has passed the eye test as well.

Reactions: CaptainChef

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hey! I used 2 smiley faces in my response. The Wild game lightened my mood quite a lot. :laugh:

The 'Canes to me are a funny team. Should get better results than they do. They are doing alright so far this year. We are the only team to beat them in regulation (I guess I can take something from that :laugh:). They are only down in the satndings because of having played few games. If Darling can come through for them they should do well. Not looking good so far tonight though.
Yep the Wild game, albeit against a very beat up crew showed me a couple things to be encouraged by. Firstly, management isn't going to wait for weeks to call up suitable replacements from the farm -- they are there, lets use them. Secondly, they will actually USE these call-ups; not sit them for weeks watching. Lemieux was a big shot in the arm; lets hope thats the side we see of him consistently. Helle, still undefeated & playing well. Laine woke up (who'd have ever guessed that inserting him with Ehlers would do the trick:huh: And Connor is here to stay, unless PMo in his wisdom shuffles the lines right away again.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This. These things have a way of balancing out over time. Bucky hasn't miraculously turned into an elite goalie in the off season. I predict he will revert to his norm, which is less than average. 4 wins in 7 games will become 3 wins in 7, 2 wins in 7. Don't expect Mason to help. Once again, Chevy has saddled us with another loser in goal. Could I be wrong? Sure, but so far the history of this franchise says, pessimists come out on top.
If you're referring to last year as his norm I will confidently predict you are wrong. He's been dang good, maybe even elite, through his NCAA & AHL career. Last year was a learning curve -- with Flaherty coaching him on how to be a flop artist, what did you expect. He went out & sought outside advice (like REAL goaltending advice, and presto he's back to being a dang good goalie. Aint rocket science, its more like ignore anything Flaherty tells you & go back to what got you here with some sensible advice to fix the slight glitches.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think you have any way of knowing this. There is always a possibility.

You obviously have extreme bias regarding this player. If that's what you're trying to say. I get it.

What?

Of course I don't know this. Lots of people here, probably most people here have opinions on which players would clear waivers and which ones would not. Not one of them needs to state that it is an opinion because no one knows these things for certain until it is tested. NO ONE!

I don't think it is a bias at all, of any degree much less "an extreme bias" to believe that Brandon Tanev would clear waivers. It was pretty widely believed here that he should not have been signed at all. He has surprised many of us by playing better than expected. I still don't think he has played well enough to get claimed on waivers. That is my UNBIASED opinion.

Does that make it a certainty? Of course not. Does that mean that I must append IMO? Don't be ridiculous!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Very well said YW - and I totally agree !!! You never know though, Maurice has had a lot of time to learn on the job, and does have 600 wins, so you'd think he could put it all together ??? :laugh:
To hear Mo talk, he has it all figured out pretty well. Then the stubborn side of him takes over, and the old dog can't learn a thing.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What do you guys think of signing Jerome Iginla ?? ( 3-rd line)

I was very impressed with the Leafs signing Patrick Marleau - they have some good talent management keeping their eyes open to give the Leafs an "edge." Marleau still brings decent speed, veteran presence, and can score, and is scoring.( I'm impressed)

I hear Iginla still wants to play, was a former 50 goal scorer. He's a gritty tough player, and people say he's a little slow now. If the Jet's signed him for a good price, and played him on the 3-rd line, with fast players, he would score quite a few goals. This is what the Jet's need, and that's scoring on the 3-rd line.

What do you guys think of this ???
Next to signing Hendricks, this makes a ton of sense. Otherwise, sheer silliness. With an exceptionally inexperienced group, Marleau on the Leafs was a very wise choice. But the Jets have some experience, and Iginla is no Marleau.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
What?

Of course I don't know this. Lots of people here, probably most people here have opinions on which players would clear waivers and which ones would not. Not one of them needs to state that it is an opinion because no one knows these things for certain until it is tested. NO ONE!

I don't think it is a bias at all, of any degree much less "an extreme bias" to believe that Brandon Tanev would clear waivers. It was pretty widely believed here that he should not have been signed at all. He has surprised many of us by playing better than expected. I still don't think he has played well enough to get claimed on waivers. That is my UNBIASED opinion.

Does that make it a certainty? Of course not. Does that mean that I must append IMO? Don't be ridiculous!

I didn't intend for you to amend anything but when you make a statement like this "when there is no possibility whatsoever of it being anything else." I call BS. I always will .........sorry but that is an incorrect statement. there are other possibilities.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I like the humour!

I am torn on the one hand Pavs seems like a good guy and I want the best for him. On the other hand if he continues to fail and flounder like he did here for the vast majority of his career maybe our org and "veteranists" like Beyak can wake the **** up and learn a lesson.

*veteranist is an old school person who doesn't care about skill only about tenure. So a "veteran Starter" like Pavs was always a great thing in Dennis's mind even though Pavs Sucked.

Pavs was a key cog in rebuilding our talent base though so I should be a bit more grateful.
No kidding:huh: Without Pavs we'd have been in the playoffs 2-3 times, probably won a series or two, but no Laine, no Ehlers, ..... basically no future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
BTW that "half-AHL" Minny team beat the Flames 4-2 so let's not belittle Jets effort against them :thumbu:
... yup, on the back-end of a back-to-back.

Lots of things need to settle in before we really know the "haves" and "have nots" in the NHL season. It's just important not to be buried too far in the standings early in the season.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Both the team and players have been clear hendricks was always going to be on 4th line. But the person that might find himself going down with petan is copp. When we are all healthy it looks like maurice will run mathias hendricks and tanev and not copp on 4th line. It seems he trusts tanev more then copp and he acctually is playing better right now. If they run 8 dmen then dano is the only guy that would have to clear waivers and they might elect to keep him up. If they dont move dano or send poolman down i can see copp being sent down.
Copp is going nowhere. have you forgaotten that he was moved up to the top lines last year rather than Petan or Dano. Mo has never benched him in recent years that I can recall & is unlikely to. He's ome of the "Mo likes em" crew out there for certain & is nowhere close to going back to the A

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
... yup, on the back-end of a back-to-back.

Lots of things need to settle in before we really know the "haves" and "have nots" in the NHL season. It's just important not to be buried too far in the standings early in the season.

October is always bizarre but here we like to make snap judgements based on a single game or a single period even

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Our bottom 6 drew 2 great penalties - why dont we give them credit when we score on the PP? I thought they were pretty solid with no big mistakes
We can't say that because that could be interpreted as PoMo having some type of hockey sense which seems like an unacceptable concept here.:sarcasm:

Nov 24, 2006
We are 4-3 and 1-0 in the division and everyone agrees we haven't been at our best. So I guess that makes us a contender? No:huh:

I hate to be "that guy" but no, I don't think we're even close. Weve gutted out some tough wins, aided alot by Hellebuyck, and were blown out three times. That isn't the play of a contender at this point.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Got to say that Enstrom had a good game , and I'm not a real fan of his but hopefully he plays like this more often . Last season we played way to many games without much of a break to start the year and this year it's the exact opposite , happy medium maybe NHL schedule maker . I cannot believe how many games that the Jets come out flat in the 2nd periods , just like last year , Maurice has to get this fixed fast . Go JETS Go .
#101 on Maurice's fix list:naughty:

Meanwhile he's still working on his top 10 which include getting more grit and toughness into his lineup

Meanwhile he's still toiling on his top 10 list -- how to get more grit & toughness into the linup, how to replace Stu's contributions on the PK, etc. etc

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Hellebuyck's norm is not less than average as Mortimer Snerd pointed out. His worst season was last year where he won 26 out of 49 decisions, which was a 3.71 win per 7 game win rate. His history is that of a well above average goalie and it seems that his seeking outside coaching help in the offseason has helped mitigate the Flaherty effect. Beyond this season's vey good statistical results Hellebuyck's play has passed the eye test as well.

Sorry, I should have clarified that a return to below average was in reference to his SV%. Obviously, a goalie is only a small part of whether a game is a win or a loss. But hey, you may be right. I may be crazy. He just might be the goalie we've been looking for. ;)

Reactions: Luc Labelle

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Copp is going nowhere. have you forgaotten that he was moved up to the top lines last year rather than Petan or Dano. Mo has never benched him in recent years that I can recall & is unlikely to. He's ome of the "Mo likes em" crew out there for certain & is nowhere close to going back to the A

If it was between Dano, Petan, and Copp, I can see why Copp would get the nod - but that's not much of an argument for Copp being untouchable. I think Copp makes sense on the 4th but it's a log jam down there and that line will likely be "work in progress" for a number of games

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He

He was never a starter but the organization had a ***** to make it so.
Once they started paying him as a starter the dye was cast. I think Chevy started learning on the job after a couple of early bad contracts. If you could go back in time he was a player who should never been given a long term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad