Jets' Hellebuyck looks good

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Never doubted the kid

Been dominant and very good in all the leagues he played and tournaments.

He is going to rock and roll now :)

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Jets have had garbage goaltending for every season the team has been back.

Hellebuyck is finally playing good and the team is winning.
That is such a weird concept.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He was hot garbage last season but glad he's working out I always thought he had potential in the likes of Gibson etc

funny how down Jets fans were on the guy last year after hyping him soooo much, he's young

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He was hot garbage last season but glad he's working out I always thought he had potential in the likes of Gibson etc

funny how down Jets fans were on the guy last year after hyping him soooo much, he's young

I'm not sure where the "hot garbage" part comes from. He had a winning record last year (26-19-4) on a team that couldn't put it together. Granted his numbers weren't great (0.907%, 2.89 GAA). If anyone was hot garbage, it was Hutch (9-12-3, but similar numbers) or the team playing in front of him. We knew last year would be a growth year, especially since we were running an inexperienced goalie as our #1.

Hellebuyck deserved the hype, and this year he's delivering.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'm not sure where the "hot garbage" part comes from. He had a winning record last year (26-19-4) on a team that couldn't put it together. Granted his numbers weren't great (0.907%, 2.89 GAA). If anyone was hot garbage, it was Hutch (9-12-3, but similar numbers) or the team playing in front of him. We knew last year would be a growth year, especially since we were running an inexperienced goalie as our #1.

Hellebuyck deserved the hype, and this year he's delivering.

Depends on what you mean by hype. He's a blue chip but you guys were putting him up with Talbot Vasilevskiy Murray

That's not even the issue, the issue was how fast you guys turned on him. Relax he's a young starter

Also the bolded part cracks me up. 0.907 isn't hot garbage but still horrific in a 15 game sample size.
we talking 50 games not 15
whew

That save percentage costed me muh LWMD championship and a 2nd place in my league

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

As a Jets fan, I never understood why Hellebuyck was given such a rough ride last year when he put up a 26-19-4 record with a 0.907% avg, which was better than Pavelec did most years, and a record that was better than Pavelec in any year. For some bizarre reason, Pavelec was given a free ride in Winnipeg, and even when he briefly was called up last season, fans gave him a standing ovation, and were chanting his name, despite going 4-4-0, and a 0.888%.

It's interesting to note that with the exception of Montoya in 2013-14, all Jets goalies have either played like garbage, or receded in play as the season progressed. This summer, Hellebuyck worked on his technique with an ex-pro goalie, who also worked with Dubnyk in 2014-15. I'm convinced that the Jets coaching nearly ruined Helle. Wade Flaherty has been the Jets goalie coach since 2011, and has proven inadequate.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Depends on what you mean by hype. He's a blue chip but you guys were putting him up with Talbot Vasilevskiy Murray

That's not even the issue, the issue was how fast you guys turned on him. Relax he's a young starter

Also the bolded part cracks me up. 0.907 isn't hot garbage but still horrific in a 15 game sample size.
we talking 50 games not 15
whew

That save percentage costed me muh LWMD championship and a 2nd place in my league

Compared to Pavelec's numbers in Winnipeg, who was the #1 goalie from 2011-16, it was relatively good:

Pavelec's numbers:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pavelec does not belong in the league

you can admit Hellebuyck had trash #s last year (edit: he was trash) but agree that it's not reflective of his true value and you have up and downs with a young starter

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Sorry for another Jets thread (and hopefully not a jinx one) but I think Hellebuyck's play deserves a mention.
He's still undefeated in regulation (8-0-2 record) with a .936 and 2.12 GAA in 11 games. :amazed:
He got a personal goalie coach in the summer and it seems to be returning dividends.

Looks like Mason's also pushing him to play better.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Looking at those stats is like music to my eyes. I'm really happy about the Mason signing because I think it lit a huge bonfire under Hellebuyck's a**.

Winnipeg may have finally found their answer in goal.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see him and the Jets doing so well. As others have said looks like the Jets may have found their long term solution in net.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Whenever a young guy has his first or second year as the #1 and struggles, think of Hellebuyck and you can sleep well at night.

Establishing yourself as the #1 goalie as a young guy is the hardest thing in hockey IMO. Everyone should give their goalies time to become stronger mentally and accept the fact that, to become stronger, you need to go through some tough times.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It's very rare to have a #1 goalie of under something like 25. It is probably a lot about mental strength that takes a lot longer for professional goalies than skaters. The pressure is much higher and for 60 minutes instead of ~15 - 20.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Indeed, he's looked extremely good. It's pretty ridiculous how much good goaltending (or bad) can completely change a narrative about a team's defense. Jets have looked sloppy at times (not a shot at them) and Hellebuyck has played elite. Not good, he's played at an elite level so far- small sample size.

It's early into the year obviously, but if someone would have said in the off-season that Price/Andersen would look this bad early on.......and Hellebuyck would be playing lights out, most of everyone would think its crazy talk.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
I don’t think many jets fans were giving up on him as much as we were just frustrated that he let in a weak short side goal every game it seemed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad