Player Discussion: Jets have suspended Dustin Byfuglien for failing to report to camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No, I disagree with you completely. Jets run a classy organization (see Meyers for example) with young stars wanting to sign in Winnipeg of all places.

If you can’t handle the trolls, I’ll deal with them. That’s my specialty! :)
I agree...except one must be careful who they label as trolls. Some people point out the "negative truths", and label those who are offended by that as "fan boys", "lackeys"or simply not very knowledgeable. I don't think those labels are always accurate either.

If anybody has the right to criticize the Jets, it's their ticket-buying public. Of course, balance is very important, but a critic isn't necessarily a troll or a bad fan. Trolls are usually those from other fan bases who just want to stir up trouble.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree...except one must be careful who they label as trolls. Some people point out the "negative truths", and label those who are offended by that as "fan boys", "lackeys"or simply not very knowledgeable. I don't think those labels are always accurate either.

If anybody has the right to criticize the Jets, it's their ticket-buying public. Of course, balance is very important, but a critic isn't necessarily a troll or a bad fan. Trolls are usually those from other fan bases who just want to stir up trouble.
Criticizing the organization for evident mistakes is fine, but very different from making up narratives and flaying the organization based on that imagined narrative. Leave that to McIntyre, who seems to think that is a good role for him because he doesn't really understand hockey very well, anyway (I've cancelled my subscription to the Freep because I mostly had it for sports coverage, but can't stand the string of writers they've employed over the past few years).

But mature media members and fans and other observers should reserve their opinions, positive or negative, until we actually know the facts.

Reactions: Huffer

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Not even close. The organization just had 3 of its biggest young stars sign back on, with some really nice talent just about ready for prominent roles. What they have is a unique player who came to the point where he is ready to call it a career but with $14 M still on the table. A classy organization does what TNSE is doing, they are letting the pieces gradually fall while keeping the door open. I'd hazard a guess some of the more powerful organizations would have steamrolled this to a conclusion by making it very public and forcing Buff's hand.
don't agree that the jets were like Ottawa in terms of how they are run but what does signing 3 rfa's mean. they were not going anywhere. they had no rights. hardly an accomplishment. Ottawa signed all there rfa's no problem. I can assure you also every team in the league has some young talent ready for some prominent roles. even Ottawa.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Criticizing the organization for evident mistakes is fine, but very different from making up narratives and flaying the organization based on that imagined narrative. Leave that to McIntyre, who seems to think that is a good role for him because he doesn't really understand hockey very well, anyway (I've cancelled my subscription to the Freep because I mostly had it for sports coverage, but can't stand the string of writers they've employed over the past few years).

But mature media members and fans and other observers should reserve their opinions, positive or negative, until we actually know the facts.
What do you have against McIntyre, anyways? I don't know the man, so I can't say anything other than what I read. What I read in today's Free Press pretty much reflected my feelings... the organization has always been in total lockdown, and unless there is truly something to do with "personal issues" going on (addictions, mental illness, family breakdowns), the fanbase should be given more info on what's going on and the two sides need to stock dickering around. This has had a direct impact on the on-ice product, which season ticket holders are paying 5 per cent more to watch this season. Enough of the garbage Chevy interviews. A Chevy interview has always been laughably bad because of the lack of insight or information it provided (regardless of the subject). This last one was the worst yet.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
What do you have against McIntyre, anyways? I don't know the man, so I can't say anything other than what I read. What I read in today's Free Press pretty much reflected my feelings... the organization has always been in total lockdown, and unless there is truly something to do with "personal issues" going on (addictions, mental illness, family breakdowns), the fanbase should be given more info on what's going on and the two sides need to stock dickering around. This has had a direct impact on the on-ice product, which season ticket holders are paying 5 per cent more to watch this season. Enough of the garbage Chevy interviews. A Chevy interview has always been laughably bad because of the lack of insight or information it provided (regardless of the subject). This last one was the worst yet.
Well that's what happens when the media demand an interview and Chevy has nothing to say.

Reactions: JetsUK

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Chevy can't say anything more than he has. This situation seems like it's gone badly south and there could be legal implications as a result of stuff he reveals publicly...that's the impression I got from his tone anyway.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McIntyre fancies himself a provocateur, and although that plays well to the cynical section of fandom, I find it unnecessary and off-putting. Wiecek was the worst, but McIntyre seems to be cut from the same cloth.

Every media member knows that the situation with Buff is "complicated" and involves some issues that Buff would like to keep private. Trying to goad Chevy into revealing more just to satisfy the curiosity of the media and fans isn't good journalism.

I'm a STH and I don't expect to know more about players' private lives than they are willing to share. That extends to Buff's situation. Chevy isn't a great interview, but I don't expect the GM to entertain me. I just want him to put together a good organization and a solid team. I'll evaluate him on that basis. One thing I do respect him for is that he's not a blabbermouth that is always looking for the cameras. Overall, I think it's best to keep much of what a GM does confidential, whether it be trades, contract negotiations, or dealing with players who are having personal or family issues. That might mean a lot of ho-hum interviews and press conferences, but generally Chevy shares enough about his overall hockey-related strategies and decisions for me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
chevy called the press conference
The media were apparently requesting a press conference, and Chevy obliged.

From Wiebe's article in the Athletic:

“You guys asked me to come and speak here. There’s not much I can enlighten you with more than what’s already out there,” Cheveldayoff said before the Jets hit the ice for a skate at SAP Center.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Lets say player wants surgery, team doesn't think he needs it. If the Jets didn't want Buff to have surgery because they didn't want him out for a long time, how is that worse than having him stay away from the team or even retiring? And even if there is a disagreement between Buff and the Jets over the ankle injury, there are procedures in place in the CBA to deal with these issues.

I just don't see how Buff thinking about retiring and walking away from the team and not getting paid could just be a result of a disagreement over how to treat an injury.

Chevy says this is complicated, but if it was all just about an ankle injury it's not complicated. It's only complicated because there is a hell of a lot more going on here than just Buff's ankle IMO.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No, I disagree with you completely. Jets run a classy organization (see Meyers for example) with young stars wanting to sign in Winnipeg of all places.

If you can’t handle the trolls, I’ll deal with them. That’s my specialty! :)

Jets may run a classy organization as far as how they deal with their players, but as far as how they deal with their customers, they are inherently dysfunctional from the top down. But, we have a different thread to discuss that.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
How can you say that without knowing the full story?

Simply because he wants to.

Virtually no one in media has been critical of the Jets as it related to how they have been handling this situation. You won't find anyone out there who says the Jets aren't a world class organization.

Reactions: Huffer

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
McIntyre fancies himself a provocateur, and although that plays well to the cynical section of fandom, I find it unnecessary and off-putting. Wiecek was the worst, but McIntyre seems to be cut from the same cloth.

Every media member knows that the situation with Buff is "complicated" and involves some issues that Buff would like to keep private. Trying to goad Chevy into revealing more just to satisfy the curiosity of the media and fans isn't good journalism.

I'm a STH and I don't expect to know more about players' private lives than they are willing to share. That extends to Buff's situation. Chevy isn't a great interview, but I don't expect the GM to entertain me. I just want him to put together a good organization and a solid team. I'll evaluate him on that basis. One thing I do respect him for is that he's not a blabbermouth that is always looking for the cameras. Overall, I think it's best to keep much of what a GM does confidential, whether it be trades, contract negotiations, or dealing with players who are having personal or family issues. That might mean a lot of ho-hum interviews and press conferences, but generally Chevy shares enough about his overall hockey-related strategies and decisions for me.

Yep, though I'd McIntyre differs from Wiecek in that while he regards himself as a "crusading reporter" (with a crime reporting background) he doesn't seem to aggregate every perceived slight into an overarching narrative of TNSE as some evil empire bent on the oppression of Wiecek himself. That guy was absolutely toxic.

I agree that this story isn't our story to have and to tell. I do think that the Jets could do with outsourcing their media and rep management to a more sophisticated outfit -- it's now an org with international reach, and homespun strategies and narratives just won't fly there, IMO. I think we've seen that repeatedly this year, from the Trouba and Laine (and even Copp) sagas to the ongoing Buff mystery. Chevy-style waffling and obfuscation is not going to calm this down, however honourable and correct in light of the circumstances it is.

Reactions: hn777

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Digging into the private lives of celebrities has been media practice for decades. You want a private life? Choose a career path that doesn't involve being grossly overpaid for the amount of actual work you put in and the benefits you provide to society as a whole. Moving beyond this particular situation, it's good to see we have some media who aren't content to just nod and smile and be content with the disinformation and propaganda that are the hallmarks of the apparently ironically named True North. Of course, if he's not careful, MM could find his media credentials revoked. And maybe that wouldn't be bad. I would love to see a major media outlet provoked into withdrawing promotional services for the team, and have them take on a more adversarial role with Chip Corp.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
When you sign star RFA players to 7-8 year deals for relatively good AAV’s, I think that speaks well for the organization.

Sure it speaks well. But it's not something to write home to mom about. All teams do this.

I just got a great deal on a tv today. Not something I go around bragging about because most people get good deals

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

On the one hand you have Wiecek, on the other end of the spectrum you have the "good company men" that we hear all the time on "The Big Show". The "company men" are way more of a turn off to me.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
But but but there was a guy just yesterday claiming he could PM the listing as sold! This thread should be shut down already the ****ing **** that people are throwing against the wall is brutal already.

The sold listing that was making the rounds was several years old. Presumably from when the Byfugliens purchased the home.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
According to the Big Show this morning, someone had put Buff's home address on social media....how incredibly insane for someone to pull stunt like that in today's world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad