Player Discussion: Jets have suspended Dustin Byfuglien for failing to report to camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
No one would be stupid enough to try that now with how much cap space we have.

I would think that this is a sign that things are close with Connor and Laine myself. It's likely that the team will need to exceed the cap to do it hence the suspension.
I agree ... I think Connor has agreed already but the Jets could not announce it just in case an offer sheet came in for Laine. Now they have the room so expect something this week.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Just going to throw this out there for consideration:

How many offer sheets have we seen in the last ten years? Of those, how many were put out there in September?

Now consider that the cap did not go up much.

Many teams do not have the cap space to give a substantial (i.e. $10 million +) offer sheet at this point in the year. If they do, how many of those have the required picks to proceed with compensation should the Jets not match.

Here's the cap space: CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Anything lower than $10 on Laine and $8 on Connor and the Jets likely match, depending on term.

Breathe.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Just going to throw this out there for consideration:

How many offer sheets have we seen in the last ten years? Of those, how many were put out there in September?

Now consider that the cap did not go up much.

Many teams do not have the cap space to give a substantial (i.e. $10 million +) offer sheet at this point in the year. If they do, how many of those have the required picks to proceed with compensation should the Jets not match.

Here's the cap space: CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Anything lower than $10 on Laine and $8 on Connor and the Jets likely match, depending on term.

Breathe.

Agree.

Just hope these 2 sign already.

Like sooooon

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I am not sure there is urgency to suspending Buff. It was always going to happen before real games start. But if they signed Connor tomorrow, and Laine was offer sheeted Monday, they could just suspend him them.

I wonder if they don't see that there is some permanence to this now (or at least a long time to play out), so they are moving on.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
How do you offer sheet Rantanen without Liut's knowledge/consent?

Well, you don't obviously. It's to send the message, yeah we've pretty much lost interest in Laine because of your bullshit. If we have to deal with a dickhead like you, it's going to be for a much better player.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think if management was actually trying to exploit a loophole, they wouldn’t have Buff be the vet that sits. It would be Little, Kulikov, Perreault before Buff ...

Buff is legitimately considering retirement, he’s played a heavy and hard game for over a decade. At his size, it takes a toll

Reactions: hn777

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So what happens in this scenario?:

- Jets uses the extra space gained by Buff's cap hit not counting to help sign both Laine and Connor
- Buff eventually decides to play
- The Laine-Connor deals + Buffs return (cap back on the books) puts the Jets over the cap

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think at this point that the jets are trying hard to sign both KC and Laine long term.

Buff is being a team player by going along.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So what happens in this scenario?:

- Jets uses the extra space gained by Buff's cap hit not counting to help sign both Laine and Connor
- Buff eventually decides to play
- The Laine-Connor deals + Buffs return (cap back on the books) puts the Jets over the cap
The Jets get Buff's cap space for every day he's suspended. They probably have an understanding that if he does return, it won't be soon. So, for example, if he misses around 20 games they would add about $1.62 million in extra cap space (assuming he's replaced by a low salary player). If Buff comes back midseason, they would have an extra $3.34M in cap space.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Seriously doubt this has anything to do with laine and connor. Like they needed more space then they had. Jets have all the leverage they want and will get connor and laine to what they are comfortable paying.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Jets get Buff's cap space for every day he's suspended. They probably have an understanding that if he does return, it won't be soon. So, for example, if he misses around 20 games they would add about $1.62 million in extra cap space (assuming he's replaced by a low salary player). If Buff comes back midseason, they would have an extra $3.34M in cap space.

I figured it would probably something along those lines but wasn't sure, Thanks for that.

Personally, I'm hoping this measure is mainly for offer sheet protection. If the Jets can get Laine and Connor signed to a cumulative amount that still allows for Buff to return on day one, that would be my preference. Bonus if the Jets could also trade for a D and still squeeze under the cap. Would likely need to move a Perreault ( pay a team to take him) for that to fit though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think Chevy is either a masterful mind or a mindless master. Not sure which one, but very much hoping for the 1st option to be the case...

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
4d chess move - Chevy asks Buff to not report, as he hears a rumor of an offer sheet for both laine AND Connor (as we can’t match both). Huddy and Maurice try to convince Buff that it will benefit him to rest for extra month. Buff gets mad at losing a month of play time and salary and storms out of meeting (as someone here reported). Chevy now has room to match any offer sheets by filing the suspension.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
4d chess move - Chevy asks Buff to not report, as he hears a rumor of an offer sheet for both laine AND Connor (as we can’t match both). Huddy and Maurice try to convince Buff that it will benefit him to rest for extra month. Buff gets mad at losing a month of play time and salary and storms out of meeting (as someone here reported). Chevy now has room to match any offer sheets by filing the suspension.

Interesting conspiracy theory. The part that doesn't make sense to me is Im not seeing how Jets management can force Buff not to report. Wouldn't Buff have reason to complain to the PA if this happened? Also if Buff is mad I don't think Maurice would go out of his way to say they had a "wonderful" conversation.

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Can you direct me to this post?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Have you factored in the bit where Buff misses out on 20 games and only ends up being paid $6m of his $8m salary this season? Very generous of him to forfeit $2m in paychecks.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Can you direct me to this post?
It’s on page 28 of the closed buff loa thread, 4th post from bottom:

An acquaintance works in the hospitality industry, and this person says they were witness to a very loud shouting match between Buff, Maurice, and Huddy at a recent get together. It got so bad, the manager of the establishment, had to ask them to leave. And on the way out they heard Buff say... "**** it, I'm done with this ".

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seriously doubt this has anything to do with laine and connor. Like they needed more space then they had. Jets have all the leverage they want and will get connor and laine to what they are comfortable paying.

This.

Byfuglien situation is irrelevant. That 15.4M cap space before Buff's suspension is still enough to sign both.

Reactions: hn777 and Derfel

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think at this point that the jets are trying hard to sign both KC and Laine long term.

Buff is being a team player by going along.

Ummmmmm....no.

Sorry. But that isn't it. Buff is retiring. Well, he's seriously considering it and very likely will retire. It's not some loophole to sign Laine and KC.

Reactions: larmex99

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

oh brother.

How bout Buff and Wheeler don't get along and Buff has decided that on top of the injury concerns and his age (I mean he's 35. This wouldn't even be a particularly early retirement...) and the personality conflict he'd rather just not?

Reactions: hn777 and Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad