Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

“Maybe we’re the team that makes that blockbuster,†Cheveldayoff told Sportsnet this week.

I'll believe it when I see.... forget it.. we know how Chevy rolls.

At this point I don't care about watching the Cup, I just want it to be over and the draft to arrive. So we can see all the trades around the NHL. The Jets better be one of those teams trading. I wouldn't be upset seeing both Buff and Kane traded as long as we get good value and a couple first round picks in 2015. Let's hope and pray Chevy can work some magic.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
At this point I don't care about watching the Cup, I just want it to be over and the draft to arrive. So we can see all the trades around the NHL. The Jets better be one of those teams trading. I wouldn't be upset seeing both Buff and Kane traded as long as we get good value and a couple first round picks in 2015. Let's hope and pray Chevy can work some magic.

Agreed.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Assuming the teams won't balk at an intra-division trade, if the Blues expressed interest in Byfuglien, what kind of return do you think would be fair and realistic?

The Blues' most likely roster player trading chips are Berglund and Shattenkirk. Their two most prized prospects are Jaskin and Rattie. They have no first round pick next year, but assume this year is in play also.

Off the table for STL are Schwartz, Tarasenko, Backes, Oshie and Pietrangelo.

Given contract considerations and mutual needs, I would propose Shattenkirk straight up, but I would add Jaskin to the package if a Jets' 2d rounder were added.

What would you counter?

I doubt they'd be interested in Shattenkirk. In moving Byfuglien they have to address needs and Shattenkirk just puts them back in a situation of surplus. Actually a worse situation of surplus because Byfuglien could at least play at forward.

Berglund would be a moderately attractive piece. The Jets definitely need a 3rd line center. But of all the holes on the Jets roster 3rd line center is one that would be more easily addressed via FA or a smaller trade. But in any case, I can't see any other players on the Blues roster that could serve as a centerpiece.

In addition to Berglund I think they'd also be looking for Rattie or Jaskin. Personally I'd lean towards Jaskin.

From the Jets perspective I'm not sure Berglund and Jaskin get it done. I suspect the Jets would rather hold out for a deal in which the centerpiece is a guy as proven as Berglund, but younger and with more upside. But I think that Berglund + Jaskin is more/less the best package it is reasonable for the Blues to put together in this situation.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I doubt they'd be interested in Shattenkirk. In moving Byfuglien they have to address needs and Shattenkirk just puts them back in a situation of surplus. Actually a worse situation of surplus because Byfuglien could at least play at forward.

Berglund would be a moderately attractive piece. The Jets definitely need a 3rd line center. But of all the holes on the Jets roster 3rd line center is one that would be more easily addressed via FA or a smaller trade. But in any case, I can't see any other players on the Blues roster that could serve as a centerpiece.

In addition to Berglund I think they'd also be looking for Rattie or Jaskin. Personally I'd lean towards Jaskin.

From the Jets perspective I'm not sure Berglund and Jaskin get it done. I suspect the Jets would rather hold out for a deal in which the centerpiece is a guy as proven as Berglund, but younger and with more upside. But I think that Berglund + Jaskin is more/less the best package it is reasonable for the Blues to put together in this situation.

I agree with this. I would guess that ideally the Jets would want the Berglund type piece to be younger as well.

Berglund and Jaskin is pretty decent, I would be asking for Edmundson to be added myself if this was the best offer out there. Also would much prefer Jaskin to Rattie.

Rattie and a 2nd would be a very bad deal.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup. Jimmy Rutherford? Guess he didn't like his new gig in Carolina.

Jim was classy on the way out of Carolina and it was time for a change there. He was a pro who knew how to take his lumps. I know the Canes won a cup but I have never been much of a Rutheford fan.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jim was classy on the way out of Carolina and it was time for a change there. He was a pro who knew how to take his lumps. I know the Canes won a cup but I have never been much of a Rutheford fan.

Yeah, not a fan of his either. Seemed notorious for rushing prospects and overpaying on his contracts. I really don't see how this is at all an upgrade for Pitts.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Not a fan of Rutherford either. Wonder if he'll want Jordan Staal back in Pittsburgh? At the ridiculous contract he signed him to. Likely not.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm wondering if San Jose will be a fit now that they have traded away Boyle's rights

Maybe. They have some interesting prospects, though they may be going through a bit of a rebuild where they go with younger players and take a step back, before going forward, rather than loading up with a guy like Buff (who is signed for only 2 more years).

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I'm wondering if San Jose will be a fit now that they have traded away Boyle's rights

A fit for Buff? Doug Wilson did mention Buff by name this offseason. But they're moving Burns back to D. And they want to get younger. Never say never though.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Its not like Byfuglien is an old man though he's what, 28-29?

Younger as in draft picks and prospects. They want to transition the team over to Couture and Pavelski.

I think Buff would be perfect for the team, but becomes somewhat redundant with Burns. Unless Buff is willing to play F for them.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Younger as in draft picks and prospects. They want to transition the team over to Couture and Pavelski.

I think Buff would be perfect for the team, but becomes somewhat redundant with Burns. Unless Buff is willing to play F for them.

Buff is younger than Pavelski.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Buff is younger than Pavelski.

Not to put words in Drumzan mouth, but the rumours have Wilson looking to unload Boyle, Thornton and/or Marleau and turning the team over to their younger players. Pavs is in that group.

Not sure Buff works, but he is younger than their old core, so that might be a fit.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not to put words in Drumzan mouth, but the rumours have Wilson looking to unload Boyle, Thornton and/or Marleau and turning the team over to their younger players. Pavs is in that group.

Not sure Buff works, but he is younger than their old core, so that might be a fit.

That's all well and good, but Drumzan was making a point that Buff might not be a fit because they are looking to move towards a younger core, and cited Pavelski.

If Pavelski is considered a younger core, than so is Buff (as Buff is younger).

I actually don't consider either of them as a younger core, and think Drumzan (and maybe others) might be surprised at actually how old Pavelski is.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know it would be nice to trade Buff to a team in the east but I think he might have more trade value to a club in the West where teams need a guy that can deal with the big boys. I believe Buff will fetch more than people think, I have said for a while he is not for every team but there will be a small but intense market for him IMHO. You only need two teams bidding to drive up the value and AT THIS POINT it is not a fire sale.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That's all well and good, but Drumzan was making a point that Buff might not be a fit because they are looking to move towards a younger core, and cited Pavelski.

If Pavelski is considered a younger core, than so is Buff (as Buff is younger).

I actually don't consider either of them as a younger core, and think Drumzan (and maybe others) might be surprised at actually how old Pavelski is.

I hear ya, Huff. Though compared to Thornton and Marleau, he's a wide-eyed pup. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad