Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I can't believe Chevy past on Mark Barberio, I mean he is so good he got out on waivers twice in one season.

Just for the people that don't know only the elite of the elite defenseman get out on waivers multiple times per season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Or absolutely nothing happens because everyone sits on their hands. That would be funny.

Everybody will be waiting for someone else to get it started. There will be a few buy-outs but otherwise I could see there being very little activity before the XD. There will certainly be action after though. VGK will have at least 8 players to move.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Calm down, I wasn't aware. When was the first time?

:laugh: Sorry. It was roughly 6 weeks earlier. It has been discussed here and pointed out many times and yet it keeps coming back. You are only the latest but far from the only one.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I expect there is probably some stuff done but won't be announced until the final is over.

I doubt it personally. If there is the level of deals people are expecting it means there will be deals that depend other deals, etc. It's not as easy to make trades in the NHL as people think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oct 5th. Essentially at the end of TC a time when very few teams are in a position to claim players.

I didn't think it was that early. I remember it being discussed here and quite a bit of support for claiming him. That timing does explain him clearing a bit but with our need we still should have been all over him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I didn't think it was that early. I remember it being discussed here and quite a bit of support for claiming him. That timing does explain him clearing a bit but with our need we still should have been all over him.

Well had we claimed him at the time someone needed to go to the minors.

The easiest would have been JoMo (which would have been a travesty) . The org was already sending $5 million down in Pavs and Strait so sending Stuart (who also was our expansion requirement player) likely wasn't feasible.
I would have sent down Chariot myself but Id guess the org wanted to give him another chance to see if he could replicate his play when he was first called up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Everybody will be waiting for someone else to get it started. There will be a few buy-outs but otherwise I could see there being very little activity before the XD. There will certainly be action after though. VGK will have at least 8 players to move.

I wouldn't count on this. LV is likely to make at least a few deals where they build up their prospect pool and take on some of the unwanted to do so. They'll be available but no one will want them.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't believe Chevy past on Mark Barberio, I mean he is so good he got out on waivers twice in one season.

Just for the people that don't know only the elite of the elite defenseman get out on waivers multiple times per season.

Nobody is claiming he is an all-star but he is a clear upgrade on Chiarot and by a substabtial margin. That just happens to be exactly what we needed and still need. That need is not something that was just discovered long after either. It has been the same for some years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well had we claimed him at the time someone needed to go to the minors.

The easiest would have been JoMo (which would have been a travesty) . The org was already sending $5 million down in Pavs and Strait so sending Stuart (who also was our expansion requirement player) likely wasn't feasible.
I would have sent down Chariot myself but Id guess the org wanted to give him another chance to see if he could replicate his play when he was first called up.

Oh well, it is OK then. :sarcasm: Sorry for the sarcasm but trying to see it from the POV of 'the org' (code for Chevy) is a little lame. I can think of that POV for myself. It was a clear mistake that many of us 'just fans' saw at the time. Who to send down should never stand in the way of a cheap upgrade to the roster. The amount of money buried in the AHL doesn't mean a lot either. It is sunk cost. The only real cost is the additional salary taken on. What did Barberio make last year? 800k? Then that is the cost.

Grabbing Barberio and Halak might very well have got us into the play-offs. What would the net cost have been then? No guarantee of course, but a real possibility.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I doubt it personally. If there is the level of deals people are expecting it means there will be deals that depend other deals, etc. It's not as easy to make trades in the NHL as people think.

It's also difficult to keep substantial deals quiet. Agents and/or players will need to be contacted in many cases.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't count on this. LV is likely to make at least a few deals where they build up their prospect pool and take on some of the unwanted to do so. They'll be available but no one will want them.

That's possible. But they have said they want to get competitive quickly. There seems to me to be a number of conflicting ideas for them. Longer term value is likely best served by youth. Quick competitiveness might be better served by some older players, for example.

From a cursory look around here it seems that every fanbase is imagining scenarios where VGK's best interests happen to coincide with their team's. Some of those speculations will probably play out. All of them almost certainly won't.

It is going to be interesting theatre no matter how it goes.:) :popcorn:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh well, it is OK then. :sarcasm: Sorry for the sarcasm but trying to see it from the POV of 'the org' (code for Chevy) is a little lame. I can think of that POV for myself. It was a clear mistake that many of us 'just fans' saw at the time. Who to send down should never stand in the way of a cheap upgrade to the roster. The amount of money buried in the AHL doesn't mean a lot either. It is sunk cost. The only real cost is the additional salary taken on. What did Barberio make last year? 800k? Then that is the cost.

Grabbing Barberio and Halak might very well have got us into the play-offs. What would the net cost have been then? No guarantee of course, but a real possibility.

Haha, fair enough. I personally just like to look at things from a number of angles (obviously one of them will be managements) when trying to form opinions. I'd rather try to understand why they may make some of the let's say less popular decisions that they make.

But ok here i go - boo Chevy for not grabbing a couple of real good players for free :p

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haha, fair enough. I personally just like to look at things from a number of angles (obviously one of them will be managements) when trying to form opinions. I'd rather try to understand why they may make some of the let's say less popular decisions that they make.

But ok here i go - boo Chevy for not grabbing a couple of real good players for free :p

I admit I may be making too much of it but, to me and given the context of the obvious match to our obvious need I put the 2 passes combined into the same bin as failing to sign Stempniak and signing Pav for 5 bad years.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
That's possible. But they have said they want to get competitive quickly. There seems to me to be a number of conflicting ideas for them. Longer term value is likely best served by youth. Quick competitiveness might be better served by some older players, for example.

I think it all depends on whether or not they are actually guaranteed top-three lottery odds for three or four years, or whatever. It was reported, by decent sources, very early in the announcements but has barely been mentioned in the last year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it all depends on whether or not they are actually guaranteed top-three lottery odds for three or four years, or whatever. It was reported, by decent sources, very early in the announcements but has barely been mentioned in the last year.

I don't think there is any doubt about them getting no worse than 3rd place lottery odds. It was very widely reported. I just don't remember if it was 3 years, or more. That'll be a very good player in '18.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I don't think there is any doubt about them getting no worse than 3rd place lottery odds. It was very widely reported. I just don't remember if it was 3 years, or more. That'll be a very good player in '18.

I looked for a recent, reliable source--preferably on the NHL site--and came up blank.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...) the expected failure to address coaching have severely shaken my confidence in Chevy.

The expected failure? If he doesn't do what he should do this summer I'll be pretty pissed, but I'm not going go lambaste him for something he hasn't done yet simply because I expect it. :D

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Feel like the best thing we could do this summer (maybe besides adding a goalie) is trade Connor for a LHD.

46070194.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The expected failure? If he doesn't do what he should do this summer I'll be pretty pissed, but I'm not going go lambaste him for something he hasn't done yet simply because I expect it. :D

There has been some talk about retaining all of the assistants and extending Maurice. There hasn't been any about moving on from any of them. Its not like I am just imagining something here.

Do you see any realistic chance Maurice is not back next year?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There has been some talk about retaining all of the assistants and extending Maurice. There hasn't been any about moving on from any of them. Its not like I am just imagining something here.

Do you see any realistic chance Maurice is not back next year?

There's a chance, albeit a slim one. Like: very, very slim. ;)

But as I said: I personally don't get upset about things that haven't happened yet, and I never, ever trust anything that anyone in sports management says, either good or bad. They're sales and marketing people when speaking publicly.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Well, he's not Brian-Strait-elite! :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's a chance, albeit a slim one. Like: very, very slim. ;)

But as I said: I personally don't get upset about things that haven't happened yet, and I never, ever trust anything that anyone in sports management says, either good or bad. They're sales and marketing people when speaking publicly.

True - but we are talking about my personal level of confidence in Chevy. It has been shaken and will take some positives this off-season to repair. :) a good draft and an NHL starter will go a long way toward restoring it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
True - but we are talking about my personal level of confidence in Chevy. It has been shaken and will take some positives this off-season to repair. :) a good draft and an NHL starter will go a long way toward restoring it.

Sorry Mort: I only care about me. I'm selfish that way. ;) I hear you, and understand. I'm personally going to reserve judgement to see what transpires this off-season before dusting off my pitchfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad