Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm taking part in a mock right now.
I traded Stanley+2nd+3rd for Mattias Ekholm. I think he could be the perfect Buff partner and his contract is great. I protected 3F and 5D. That would guarantee us the deepest D corps in the league. I was a bit uncomfortable exposing Perreault but Vegas picked Dano instead.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I traded Stanley+2nd+3rd for Mattias Ekholm. I think he could be the perfect Buff partner and his contract is great. I protected 3F and 5D. That would guarantee us the deepest D corps in the league. I was a bit uncomfortable exposing Perreault but Vegas picked Dano instead.

I would add a first to that to get Ekholm.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm a bit surprised that there's been no trades this weekend. I thought that with the 3 day break some of the summering business of the league may have boiled over.

Oh well. Hoping for a quick series.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm a bit surprised that there's been no trades this weekend. I thought that with the 3 day break some of the summering business of the league may have boiled over.

Oh well. Hoping for a quick series.

Very rarely to player for player trades get made during the Stanley cup playoffs. You get the odd trading of rights to pending UFA's but that is usually about it. No doubt GM's are in almost non stop discussions at this point especially with the pending XD but I wouldn't expect anything official until the playoffs wrap up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Could happen just due to the age factor. VGK are going to want as much youth as possible. But I think they would grab MP.

I would add a first to that to get Ekholm.

:laugh:Ditto.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kane/Bogo and Ladd moves were pretty "aggressive".

5 years. Chevy's hand was forced in both cases.

We needed aggressive last season when it was obvious our goaltending was going to let us down and there were easy options right in front of us. Or, when it was clear that Tyler Myers was going to be out for a significant amount of time.

Surely a GM with a little more savvy could have done something in both circumstances to get us in the post season without sacrificing too much?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

We needed aggressive last season when it was obvious our goaltending was going to let us down and there were easy options right in front of us. Or, when it was clear that Tyler Myers was going to be out for a significant amount of time.

Surely a GM with a little more savvy could have done something in both circumstances to get us in the post season without sacrificing too much?

I've been most patient with Chevy. But for me this is his biggest off season. He needs to get creative before or after XD, at the draft and in summer with acquisitions. Vet goalie, mid or bottom pairing D, and a solid fourth line PKer. The time is now, I expect the jets to move ahead much like the oilers did this year. If he fails, even I will lose my patience with him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Both Halak and Barberio on waivers. The argument can be made that they weren't that good or they wouldn't have cleared waivers but they precisely fit out needs, not necessarily anyone else's.

Passing on those 2 is simply unfathomable. There was no significant downside. :shakehead

I've been most patient with Chevy. But for me this is his biggest off season. He needs to get creative before or after XD, at the draft and in summer with acquisitions. Vet goalie, mid or bottom pairing D, and a solid fourth line PKer. The time is now, I expect the jets to move ahead much like the oilers did this year. If he fails, even I will lose my patience with him.

The above fumbles, the Stanley trade up and pick, the expected failure to address coaching have severely shaken my confidence in Chevy. He needs to redeem himself before next season starts to restore my confidence.

No more excuses, no more chances, no more silver linings, no more development years. It is time to step up and get it done. That applies to both Chevy and Maurice.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Both Halak and Barberio on waivers. The argument can be made that they weren't that good or they wouldn't have cleared waivers but they precisely fit out needs, not necessarily anyone else's.

Passing on those 2 is simply unfathomable. There was no significant downside. :shakehead

The above fumbles, the Stanley trade up and pick, the expected failure to address coaching have severely shaken my confidence in Chevy. He needs to redeem himself before next season starts to restore my confidence.

No more excuses, no more chances, no more silver linings, no more development years. It is time to step up and get it done. That applies to both Chevy and Maurice.

There is no evidence that we passed on Barbario, He was picked up by the 1st team in the pecking order

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
There is no evidence that we passed on Barbario, He was picked up by the 1st team in the pecking order

And we all know only reason they passed on halak was money, I'm sure they didn't wanna pay hutch and pavs that kind of money in the A. I'm convinced if pavs was not down there they woulda jumped on halak.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

NO NO NO. This must have been pointed out 50 times. He was waived twice. The first time he cleared. The second time he was picked up by Col.

And we all know only reason they passed on halak was money, I'm sure they didn't wanna pay hutch and pavs that kind of money in the A. I'm convinced if pavs was not down there they woulda jumped on halak.

Good god but that is a horrible reason under the circumstances. It has to be a very strong possibility that they could have traded Hutch for him the day after he cleared. Probably would have been able to get some retention on him too. That would have been before he was able to redeem himself with the Isles by good play from then on.

Those 2 passes are just horrible IMO. Screaming effing inexcusable - under the circumstances.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Very rarely to player for player trades get made during the Stanley cup playoffs. You get the odd trading of rights to pending UFA's but that is usually about it. No doubt GM's are in almost non stop discussions at this point especially with the pending XD but I wouldn't expect anything official until the playoffs wrap up.

We are in a rare circumstance. Would have thought a GM or two would have jumped the gun during a break in the action. Likely some strong pleads from the league office not to transact until after the final.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We are in a rare circumstance. Would have thought a GM or two would have jumped the gun during a break in the action. Likely some strong pleads from the league office not to transact until after the final.

Problem is that the playoffs wrap up on night of June 14th potentially. List must be submitted by end of work day on June 17th. The gives teams about 2.5 days. If there was a flurry of deals to be made, it will start before the end of the playoffs, IMO. Unless it's a sweep.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Problem is that the playoffs wrap up on night of June 14th potentially. List must be submitted by end of work day on June 17th. The gives teams about 2.5 days. If there was a flurry of deals to be made, it will start before the end of the playoffs, IMO. Unless it's a sweep.

I expect there is probably some stuff done but won't be announced until the final is over.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Halak was playing poorly at the time he was waived, cost a boat load of cash for the remainder of the season and the season after. There where also rumblings that he may have been an issue in the locker room. I think there where plenty of reasons for the Jets to pass on him if they didn't seem him as a solution last season as well as this upcoming one.

We don't know that they didn't Babario the second time he was waived. No one wanted him the first time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Halak was playing poorly at the time he was waived, cost a boat load of cash for the remainder of the season and the season after. There where also rumblings that he may have been an issue in the locker room. I think there where plenty of reasons for the Jets to pass on him if they didn't seem him as a solution last season as well as this upcoming one.

We don't know that they didn't Babario the second time he was waived. No one wanted him the first time.

Halak was playing a lot better than any of our goalies at the time. Even then it turned out to be just a short slump. We had his career record to consider as well. The cost would have been prorated for the rest of the year. Peanuts in the big picture. I'm sure it was the fear of his contract for next year but, come on. It was only for 1 more year if it didn't work out. The risk was small. Very small.

Now it will cost us an asset to get him - if we can get him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I expect there is probably some stuff done but won't be announced until the final is over.

This would be my guess as well. Deals done in principle waiting for the Stanley cup finals to end. Other than the 2 remaining teams the players aren't playing so further injuries etc. aren't a complicating factor. But boy it should be a lot of fun.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This would be my guess as well. Deals done in principle waiting for the Stanley cup finals to end. Other than the 2 remaining teams the players aren't playing so further injuries etc. aren't a complicating factor. But boy it should be a lot of fun.

Or absolutely nothing happens because everyone sits on their hands. That would be funny.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Or absolutely nothing happens because everyone sits on their hands. That would be funny.

There are almost always fewer trades than fans expect and hope for. I think a lot of fans just like the rush of news and trade action, but that's not the way most NHL teams approach things.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I guess that's always a possibility but I'd expect some action. There seems to be lots of opportunity for teams to make mutually beneficial moves to maximize protection lists.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I guess that's always a possibility but I'd expect some action. There seems to be lots of opportunity for teams to make mutually beneficial moves to maximize protection lists.

Yep, job #1 right now for all teams should be to screw over the guys that just paid half a billion dollars to join the club. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad