Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm hypothesizing that they will say that being claimed in an expansion draft isn't getting traded, so a NTC will not protect from that. A NMC prevents all movement so that will prevent expansion draft claiming. Just me theorizing.

It will be negotiated with the NHLPA.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Could see some interesting last minute moves / trades performed, when teams realize that they have to expose some players of value.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Players eligible for expansion draft (assuming all RFAs re-signed and Perreault is the only UFA re-signed):

Forwards:
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Burmistrov
Copp
Dano
Armia
Scheifele
Lowry
Kosmachuk
Lipon
Cormier
Brassard
Olsen

Defense:
Enstrom
Myers
Byfuglien
Trouba
Chiarot
Stuart
Kichton
MacWilliam
Melchiori

Goalies:
Hellebuyck
Hutchinson

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I would protect

This is considering Wheeler,Little,Enstrom,Buf,Stuart and Myers have no trade/movement clauses and will be exempt

Burmistrov
Perreault
Copp
Scheif
Lowry
Armia
Dano

Trouba
Chiarot
Postma

Helly

Umm that's not the way it would work. The guys with NMC would have to be on your list of protected players. Otherwise everyone would be throwing out NMC's this summer. I would work on the assumption that NTC don't have to be protected, but NMC would have to be. That's how Friedman said it would be anyway.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Will have to see what and how this all shakes out, but so looking forward to visiting Vegas and watching Pavelec play for the Las Vegas Whatevers. :naughty: Assuming it was for next season. If the expansion draft is for 2017-18 a lot can be different by then on the Jets.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Umm that's not the way it would work. The guys with NMC would have to be on your list of protected players. Otherwise everyone would be throwing out NMC's this summer. I would work on the assumption that NTC don't have to be protected, but NMC would have to be.

Its unclear as to who can or can't be protected. When you want to trade a guy with a NMC clause usually its one where they provide you with a list of teams they don't want to go to. I am assuming they have to figure out between the League and the PA if this constitutes the same thing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thorburn won't be under contract then. Stuart has a NTC so he would likely be a player we are required to protect.

Darren Dreger
✔ ‎@DarrenDreger

GM's told expansion decision expected before June draft. If expand by 1 team, each team loses 1 player...if two teams, 2 players.
9:43 AM - 16 Mar 2016

Is that before this June's draft? Or next year's draft?

Thorburn is under contract till July 1, 2017. Seems reasonable that it won't include players who are only under contract for 1 more month but technically he would still be under contract.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Darren Dreger
✔ ‎@DarrenDreger

GM's told expansion decision expected before June draft. If expand by 1 team, each team loses 1 player...if two teams, 2 players.
9:43 AM - 16 Mar 2016

Is that before this June's draft? Or next year's draft?

Thorburn is under contract till July 1, 2017. Seems reasonable that it won't include players who are only under contract for 1 more month but technically he would still be under contract.

It's next June they are talking about. So 2017 draft

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
It's next June they are talking about. So 2017 draft

Pretty sure they are referring to this Junes draft. Letting the teams know if there will be expansion or not prior to this years draft. The expansion draft would only occur the summer prior to the new team's taking the ice which would be at the earliest spring/summer 2017

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
When I first read it, I thought Comrie Ehlers etc... Would not be exempt. But since they would still be in yr2 of their ELC until July 1, i now think they would be exempt.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm hypothesizing that they will say that being claimed in an expansion draft isn't getting traded, so a NTC will not protect from that. A NMC prevents all movement so that will prevent expansion draft claiming. Just me theorizing.

And the NHLPA disagrees. Fight's on. They don't want to fight this issue. That means their lawyers have told them they will lose or else that it will take years to settle.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pretty sure they are referring to this Junes draft. Letting the teams know if there will be expansion or not prior to this years draft. The expansion draft would only occur the summer prior to the new team's taking the ice which would be at the earliest spring/summer 2017

I'm pretty sure it was said the expansion draft if it were to happen would take place in June just prior to the NHL entry draft

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Protected Forwards (7):
Wheeler*
Scheifele
Little*
Perreault
Dano
Armia
Lowry

Exposed Forwards:
Burmistrov
Copp
Kosmachuk
Lipon
Cormier
Brassard
Olsen

Protected Defensemen (3):
Enstrom*
Byfuglien*
Trouba

Exposed Defensemen:
Myers
Chiarot
Stuart*
Kichton
MacWilliam
Melchiori

Protected Goalie (1):
Hellebuyck

Exposed Goalie:
Hutchinson

* NTC/NMC

Hopefully the rule is only to auto-protect full NMCs and not NTCs and limited NTCs. Otherwise we're screwed with Stuart. If our D protected list is Enstrom, Buff and Stu and that means we have to expose Trouba, well that Stuart signing jumps ahead of the Pavelec deal to Number 1 on the list of bad moves by management. We could do the 8 skaters option to protect Trouba, but then we're exposing 3 forwards we could otherwise protect (Armia, Lowry, Perreault/Dano?).

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm pretty sure it was said the expansion draft if it were to happen would take place in June just prior to the NHL entry draft

Right, but the tweet by dregger was about when the GM's would know about the expansion decision. Which is before this Junes draft.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So will they give Vegas Pick # 1 in the 17 draft? Pick # 4? or give them the #1 spot in next year's lottery?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Protected Forwards (7):
Wheeler*
Scheifele
Little*
Perreault
Dano
Armia
Lowry

Exposed Forwards:
Burmistrov
Copp
Kosmachuk
Lipon
Cormier
Brassard
Olsen

Enstrom*
Byfuglien*
Trouba

Exposed Defensemen:
Myers
Chiarot
Stuart*
Kichton
MacWilliam
Melchiori

Protected Goalie (1):
Hellebuyck

Exposed Goalie:
Hutchinson

* NTC/NMC

Hopefully the rule is only to auto-protect full NMCs and not NTCs and limited NTCs. Otherwise we're screwed with Stuart. If our D protected list is Enstrom, Buff and Stu and that means we have to expose Trouba, well that Stuart signing jumps ahead of the Pavelec deal to Number 1 on the list of bad moves by management. We could do the 8 skaters option to protect Trouba, but then we're exposing 3 forwards we could otherwise protect (Armia, Lowry, Perreault/Dano?).

Try again. Meyers has a NMC that kicks in this July 1.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Right, but the tweet by dregger was about when the GM's would know about the expansion decision. Which is before this Junes draft.

We're both right. They would also never hold an expansion draft after the FA period opens

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Before they lose Trouba to expansion because of Stuart, they'd buy him out of his contract. Not even Chevy is THAT much in love with Stuuuuu.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Protected Forwards (7):
Wheeler*
Scheifele
Little*
Perreault
Dano
Armia
Lowry

Exposed Forwards:
Burmistrov
Copp
Kosmachuk
Lipon
Cormier
Brassard
Olsen

Enstrom*
Byfuglien*
Trouba

Exposed Defensemen:
Myers
Chiarot
Stuart*
Kichton
MacWilliam
Melchiori

Protected Goalie (1):
Hellebuyck

Exposed Goalie:
Hutchinson

* NTC/NMC

Has anything we have been told differentiated between NTCs and NMCs? Has anything differentiated between full and partial NTC/NMC? If the player gets to submit a list of acceptable teams Las Vegas is not on it so he is not eligible. If a player gets to submit a list of unacceptable teams LV is on it so he is not eligible. That is unless he wants to be drafted of course.

Have we been given clarity on the effective date of all this? Does under contract mean under contract on the day of the draft? Or does it mean under contract on the impending July 1?

Hypothetically, if the expansion draft were held June 15 ahead of the amateur draft June 25 and it goes by contracts in effect on June 15 they could draft a pending FA (restricted or unrestricted) and have a 15 day window to sign them. All the usual RFA rules would apply but the expansion team could lose any UFAs they draft.

Thorburn would be an example of that. I don't know that he is a player they would be interested in. I expect they would go for younger players. Only being able to take 1 from each team there should be better than Thor to choose from. From your list of our exposed players it looks like Myers would be vulnerable and the 1 most likely to be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad