Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see ror on our team, but don't love the Avs asking price or ror contract demands.

We need more top end talent (all areas) on this team.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Love to see ror on our team, but don't love the Avs asking price or ror contract demands.

Yes. We finished where we likely should have, a bubble playoff team (could have gone either way, IMO - I wouldn't have gambled on Pav being the hero). Much as I've advocated moving Buff his loss will create a substantial hole, depending on what's coming back. If we step back a bit due to moving him then what to do with Ladd? I feel like we need both Ladd/Buff to compete at the higher level and for leadership but that's just me. Ah well, something hopefully interesting happens over the next ten days.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
I think Buff and Ladd are very highly looked at in the Jets room and by management and owner , one thing about Chipman is he is very loyal , hence giving Noel the head coaching job when Noel was not a NHL caliber coach . If i had to bet , i think Buff and Ladd are going to both get signed long term .

Maybe I am wrong but I think Buff scored himself some points with management when he took a stand against Kane's track suit thing.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed. I'd love to have ROR as well. Either as a C with Little on the wing, or vice versa.

But also agree that I wouldn't want to give up a boatload of assets for him, especially if he's also wanting a contract north of 6.5 million (guess).

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed. I'd love to have ROR as well. Either as a C with Little on the wing, or vice versa.

But also agree that I wouldn't want to give up a boatload of assets for him, especially if he's also wanting a contract north of 6.5 million (guess).

Agreed.

Paul has went on record stating he liked ror and that's he's a good player (played for Paul inEurope).

But the Avs won't let him go cheap and ror agent is a money grabbing........agent.

We would have offer the Avs a good hockey trade to get their attention and then pay ror full on Ufa top dollar. I shudder at those two costs.

But he would great in our top 6.

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
Radar is a tremendous hockey player and would love him on Winnipeg if worst case scenario was to happen but an educated guess would have Radar dealt to fix a glaring problem on LHD which isn't exactly a strength for Winnipeg either. Winnipeg threw a big contract at Stastny last season so at the time they were open to taking in a big contract or overpaying for services of a good center.

I remember Winnipeg being linked to O'Reilly rumours either last off-season or during the season so interest was expressed in the past. I just hope internally either Radars camp or Colorado find a solution to keep him long term as he is one of the most complete players i've ever seen with extraordinarily insane hockey IQ and his almost perfect positioning. Two seasons ago he had 2 PIMs in 80 game season and the penalty came off a face-off when his stick broke from the face-off and he didn't realize and continued to fight for the puck.

Just don't hate on character issues as its all financially from his father and newport sports. He's always played the hardest and cared the most out of any player from the Avalanche and took the loss to the Wild the hardest.

ryan-o-reilly.jpg

Will be an extremely difficult day seeing him traded.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed.

Paul has went on record stating he liked ror and that's he's a good player (played for Paul inEurope).

But the Avs won't let him go cheap and ror agent is a money grabbing........agent.

We would have offer the Avs a good hockey trade to get their attention and then pay ror full on Ufa top dollar. I shudder at those two costs.

But he would great in our top 6.

Buff for ROR?
I think I poohed on that suggestion when someone else made it but there is a certain logic. Both are entering their last year before UFA and both will be expensive to sign.

I think both teams would want to be allowed to negotiate before agreeing to the trade.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Buff for ROR?
I think I poohed on that suggestion when someone else made it but there is a certain logic. Both are entering their last year before UFA and both will be expensive to sign.

I think both teams would want to be allowed to negotiate before agreeing to the trade.

In the last days, with the Detroit rumors going on, I had some weird fantasy of a three-way trade:
WPG: O'Reilly
DET: Byfuglien
COL: Mantha; defense (Quincey? Ouellet?); stuff
Balance it out.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the last days, with the Detroit rumors going on, I had some weird fantasy of a three-way trade:
WPG: O'Reilly
DET: Byfuglien
COL: Mantha; defense (Quincey? Ouellet?); stuff
Balance it out.

Could work. My first thought was why not just go back to the direct trade with Detroit but there is a kind of funny mirror image between us and Colorado that could suit this.

They have high-end forward talent but lack the supporting cast and are shallow at D. We have a great supporting cast but lack high-end talent. We have plenty of depth at D though not spread out optimally. It would be a complicated trade for the GMs to work out. Do those kinds of deals even happen anymore?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Buff for ROR?

Depending on what we have to add I might consider that deal. Buff being older we would likely have to add something. Plus I think the Avs ideally want a LHD guy not RHD.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's highly unlikely that the Jets trade Ladd. I expect he'll get a contract extension.

On balance, I think they should trade Buff, but I won't be surprised if they also give him an extension with the plan to play him on LD.

If they do trade Buff, then I don't see the need to do that on the draft floor. As I've noted before, draft picks are over-valued at the draft. Maybe the occasion would allow for a trade of good young players and prospects for Buff, but if they use Buff to get a first round pick I don't think they are likely to be getting enough in return.

I was saying a Buff trade on or before draft day, as I think there will be a fair amount of player movement very soon. Also throwing in picks either way might be a way to get a deal done. But it is appearing that Chevy will be working to re-sign Buff I'm just hoping it is something that doesn't come back to haunt us in a few years. Maybe $28-30 M over 4 years gets it done?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Depending on what we have to add I might consider that deal. Buff being older we would likely have to add something. Plus I think the Avs ideally want a LHD guy not RHD.

The thing that would scare me about a ROR deal, is I don't think any rational offer gets him re-signed. He seems set on testing the free market...even more so than Frolik.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I was saying a Buff trade on or before draft day, as I think there will be a fair amount of player movement very soon. Also throwing in picks either way might be a way to get a deal done. But it is appearing that Chevy will be working to re-sign Buff I'm just hoping it is something that doesn't come back to haunt us in a few years. Maybe $28-30 M over 4 years gets it done?

If he signs a 4 year deal, he should fire his agent. He should be signing a 6-7yr deal around 7+ mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad