Proposal: Jets - Flyers JVR

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Andrew Copp was a pure rental last deadline and returned a 1st and 2nd in the same year plus Morgan Barron who had been playing 3LW this season but has been out with an illness the last few games.
Barron is not blue chip. I see blue chip as potential as a top 4 d or top 6 forward. Barron fits firmly in the third line.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Andrew Copp was a pure rental last deadline and returned a 1st and 2nd in the same year plus Morgan Barron who had been playing 3LW this season but has been out with an illness the last few games.
Exactly. Yes there's a few high end guys available this year but they will Garner big returns

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Exactly. Yes there's a few high end guys available this year but they will Garner big returns
and had the rangers just gave us an outright 1st the package would have been far less, nobody is going to give up a 1st 2nd and blue chip prospect for a rental

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Who are those few Meier, Toews, Tarasenjo, ROR, Monohan, Schenn, Kuzmenko, Kane. If you ask Mtl Edmundson. Sunkvist. All those players are not getting 1sts. JVR is not better than those guys. So the most I’d give up is a 2nd and a 3rd with the condition if the Jets make the wcf it becomes a 1st. We don’t need JVR as badly as NYR wanted Copp to improve their 3rd line and pk.

Reactions: Buffdog and CarlG

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I really doubt that. Given all of the uncertainty next offseason, I would expect Chevy would want maximum cap flexibility without prematurely adding a contract with term.

My belief is that the Jets ownership does not want a self-initiated rebuild if they can avoid it and getting good players with term could extend the team's playoff window (not necessarily contention window) to maximize playoff revenue following COVID.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's been pointed out already.
  • Copp was the better player lately
  • Morgan Barron wasn't a blue chip prospect. He was 23 at the time of being traded. He was also drafted as a center and has currently been moved to a winger position.
  • The 1st was conditioned on Rangers getting through in the playoffs.
Btw, how come JVR gets so many shifts a game during the games he seems little ice time? Does Torts make the Flyers change after every 20 seconds some games?

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
JVR is not returning a first. If he gets a second that may well be the only asset in the deal.

I also don't see why the Jets would be interested. He's vastly inferior to the Offensive Wings they already have, he's not going to to bump Appleton or Barron as both of those are important to the Jets on the PK. He could potentially replace Maenalanen on the 4th line, but will he produce in a spot like that? If he can't Maenalanen's size, physical play and forechecking are probably more valuable.

If the Jets are looking for anything at F it's a quality 2-way 3rd or 4th line C who's good at faceoffs. Toews would be ideal, but I expect the price will be too high for what he really is as a player these days.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Who are those few Meier, Toews, Tarasenjo, ROR, Monohan, Schenn, Kuzmenko, Kane. If you ask Mtl Edmundson. Sunkvist. All those players are not getting 1sts. JVR is not better than those guys. So the most I’d give up is a 2nd and a 3rd with the condition if the Jets make the wcf it becomes a 1st. We don’t need JVR as badly as NYR wanted Copp to improve their 3rd line and pk.
No sane GM will pay a 1st for Schenn or Monohan.

Toews will require substantial retention.

And no mention of Chychrun? Dont think he will be moved now?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
JVR is not returning a first. If he gets a second that may well be the only asset in the deal.

I also don't see why the Jets would be interested. He's vastly inferior to the Offensive Wings they already have, he's not going to to bump Appleton or Barron as both of those are important to the Jets on the PK. He could potentially replace Maenalanen on the 4th line, but will he produce in a spot like that? If he can't Maenalanen's size, physical play and forechecking are probably more valuable.

If the Jets are looking for anything at F it's a quality 2-way 3rd or 4th line C who's good at faceoffs. Toews would be ideal, but I expect the price will be too high for what he really is as a player these days.
I disagree with the bolded, JVR isn’t better then wingers Connor, Ehlers or Wheeler.

JVR has more goals than the Jets wingers except for Connor, Wheeler and Gagner despite missing 20 games with a broken finger.

Appleton is still injured and Barron has yet to establish himself more then a 3rd line winger, Maenalanen probably won’t stick around after this season, even Perfetti doesn’t have as many goals as JVR.

JVR could easily slot into 2LW and 2nd PP as a net front presence.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
It's been pointed out already.
  • Copp was the better player lately
  • Morgan Barron wasn't a blue chip prospect. He was 23 at the time of being traded. He was also drafted as a center and has currently been moved to a winger position.
  • The 1st was conditioned on Rangers getting through in the playoffs.
Btw, how come JVR gets so many shifts a game during the games he seems little ice time? Does Torts make the Flyers change after every 20 seconds some games?
Torts has short shifts of 30 to 40 seconds especially towards the end of games.

JVR is 16:13 ATOI good enough for 7th among Jets forwards average time on ice, Appleton has only played in 14 games so his ATOI could fluctuate.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree with the bolded, JVR isn’t better then wingers Connor, Ehlers or Wheeler.

JVR has more goals than the Jets wingers except for Connor, Wheeler and Gagner despite missing 20 games with a broken finger.

Appleton is still injured and Barron has yet to establish himself more then a 3rd line winger, Maenalanen probably won’t stick around after this season, even Perfetti doesn’t have as many goals as JVR.

No way do I put JVR ahead of Perfetti in the lineup. Again, since he doesn't kill penalties so there is no way he gets in the lineup over Barron or Appleton (once healthy). He may have better production than Gagne but Gagne plays on the 4th line and has become a solid defensive player as he's aged so I think he's a better fit.

Unless there is a season ending injury to someone I just don't see where JVR could fit on this Jets team, and like everyone has said, no way does he return a first.

If the Jets look for anything at the trade deadline it will be C not a W. The only way they look at a W is if they send a late pick to someone to get a veteran to sit in the press box in case of injury. A larger trade for a D with term isn't impossible either but I don't see the Jets looking for rentals on D either.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
:jetsWinnipeg Acquires: LW James van Riemsdyk (50% Retained)

:flyersPhiladelphia Acquires: RD Tyrel Bauer a 2024 1st round pick (top 8 protected) and a 2025 5th round pick.

The Jets get JVR for the playoffs run as JVR has 71 games of playoff experience and should help the Jets middle 6.

Philly gets a RD prospect Bauer who turned professional this season in the AHL with the Moose, and a few draft picks.
Sorry JVR is not worth a 1st.
Jets will not give up a RD prospect.
For the Jets at lease a good RD prospect is worth his weight in gold.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Flyers are going to be fortunate to get a second and probably a second second/third rounder based on playoff conditions.

JVR is probably going to be a decent pickup for someone looking to juice their power play netfront.

Reactions: IronMarshal

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Lol, no

1673825987052.gif

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

Even if JVR was worth a 1st, you're overlooking the fact that 2/3 of the Jets top goal scorers are centers, so adding a shooting winger really isn't up there on their list of priorities. Especially when you consider that that it would push their young playmaking winger doing well in his first full season out of the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad