GDT: Jets fly into Montreal where it's Priceless (Habs vs Jets tonight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Jets allow as much 5/5 goals as they score and they don't have captain high on drugs for the Jets tonight. :laugh:

Habs have Monty in net I'm assuming so I expect this one to have more than 6 goals. Anybody's guess on who scores more in this one

Hellebuyck played yesterday so we get their back-up.
I can't believe the way people rip on Monty. The guy is a good goaltender.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Is he though? I mean, sure, he's been playing for a bottom dwelling team, but GAA of 3.61 and save percentage of 0.896 suggest otherwise. Heck, since turning pro he's had a save percentage over 0.900 1 time and under 3.00 GAA once as well; both in the AHL. 7 wins in 33 NHL starts. Not any better in the AHL either.

Sure, he looks like a fine guy. But a good goaltender is not something that he has proven to be thus far at the pro level.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He's good at times and I like him. I just don't think he is consistent enough yet. He's earned my respect the way he battled through the season but the way the Habs play where we let the players be creative offensively, it just exposes the goalies

Reactions: Rockomax

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Is he though? I mean, sure, he's been playing for a bottom dwelling team, but GAA of 3.61 and save percentage of 0.896 suggest otherwise. Heck, since turning pro he's had a save percentage over 0.900 1 time and under 3.00 GAA once as well; both in the AHL. 7 wins in 33 NHL starts. Not any better in the AHL either.

Sure, he looks like a fine guy. But a good goaltender is not something that he has proven to be thus far at the pro level.
The habs have given up the 3rd most shots per games played. God only knows how many quality chances. Even Allen's numbers aren't much better. I think most people agree with me.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
The habs have given up the 3rd most shots per games played. God only knows how many quality chances. Even Allen's numbers aren't much better. I think most people agree with me.
I strongly doubt mostr people agree with you, but who knows?

And you'd have a point if his abysmal stats were exclusive to his time here. He's had 16 wins in 58 career games with almost equally terrible GAA and save percentage.

I'm not saying that he's had it easy here either, because he hasn't and was put in a tough season to begin with. But I don't know by what parameters you can conclude that he's a good goalie. Otherwise, how many good goalies are there in the NHL? 80?

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He's good at times and I like him. I just don't think he is consistent enough yet. He's earned my respect the way he battled through the season but the way the Habs play where we let the players be creative offensively, it just exposes the goalies
It's not even that. They allow them to play that way because there's no other choice. They either play total defence and lose 3-1, or they go all out and lose 6-5. Maybe I'm not wording this correctly, but they truly haven't had a solid lineup and still have so many holes that you might as well let them play loosey goosey hockey. At least it's entertaining. I mean, seriously, they lack a 1 and arguably 2 defenceman, a number 2 centre, and play 4 or 5 rookies on any given night. Sure, Monty might let in a bad one here or there, but he's still inexperienced. If he was still with Florida, I'd bet his numbers would look great.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If the Habs were to lose tonight it’ll ensure they have their worst regular season record in more than 70 years. It’s even worse when one factors in there never use to be loser points or shootouts.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not even that. They allow them to play that way because there's no other choice. They either play total defence and lose 3-1, or they go all out and lose 6-5. Maybe I'm not wording this correctly, but they truly haven't had a solid lineup and still have so many holes that you might as well let them play loosey goosey hockey. At least it's entertaining. I mean, seriously, they lack a 1 and arguably 2 defenceman, a number 2 centre, and play 4 or 5 rookies on any given night. Sure, Monty might let in a bad one here or there, but he's still inexperienced. If he was still with Florida, I'd bet his numbers would look great.

I agree that he is good and still improving but the facts are the Habs will expose him so this game will be high scoring with both back-ups. Like or hate Monty, he has a big challenge to keep it to 2 goals or less the way the Habs play with MSL.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I strongly doubt mostr people agree with you, but who knows?

And you'd have a point if his abysmal stats were exclusive to his time here. He's had 16 wins in 58 career games with almost equally terrible GAA and save percentage.

I'm not saying that he's had it easy here either, because he hasn't and was put in a tough season to begin with. But I don't know by what parameters you can conclude that he's a good goalie. Otherwise, how many good goalies are there in the NHL? 80?
Yes, those numbers were from before,, but he's gained experience. You mean to tell me you haven't noticed a marked difference in his play from the beginning of the season until now? I certainly have.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I agree that he is good and still improving but the facts are the Habs will expose him so this game will be high scoring with both back-ups. Like or hate Monty, he has a big challenge to keep it to 2 goals or less the way the Habs play with MSL.
I'd say I agree with you for "this year". Logically, they're going to improve their defence and probably won't have 3 rookies back there. You add in a true number 1 and maybe a more defensive defenceman, a better number 2 centre, you're going to cut down on chances whether MSL wants them to play pond hockey or not.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Monty was a victim of the "Ducharme"" method, just like the rest of the team. I'd give him a bit more time to right himself. But he's gonna have to be damn good, cause he's had some bad games. I'm getting anxious for some playoff hockey though; these irrelevant games are starting to pile up. Habs win in OT, 5-4.

GO:habsGO

Reactions: schwang26

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Monty was a victim of the "Ducharme"" method, just like the rest of the team. I'd give him a bit more time to right himself. But he's gonna have to be damn good, cause he's had some bad games. I'm getting anxious for some playoff hockey though; these irrelevant games are starting to pile up. Habs win in OT, 5-4.

We also don't know how his wrist or hand injury affects his play either. It could certainly mess him up occasionally.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

How does a goalie is victim of a coach?
Did Ducharme had a red laser that kid uses and aim at Montombeau eyes during the game?

In what case that Ducharme was the reason that Montombeau couldn't save a puck? Because the defensive squad was not helping him? Because nothing changed in that case.

I get it Ducharme was bad , but blaming absolutely everything into him is just complete non-sense.
There is a reason why Montombeau always struggled to be a backup in the NHL. Ducharme is not the reason why.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
and yet we are not even sure to be 1 of the bottom 3 worse team on the league.

Which is crazy. Arizona, the Habs, and Seattle are all in the top 12, currently, for worst records (points %) in the salary cap era. NJ (20th worst in that timeframe), Philly (22nd), and Ottawa (28th) have all been just as bad.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
How does a goalie is victim of a coach?
Did Ducharme had a red laser that kid uses and aim at Montombeau eyes during the game?

In what case that Ducharme was the reason that Montombeau couldn't save a puck? Because the defensive squad was not helping him? Because nothing changed in that case.

I get it Ducharme was bad , but blaming absolutely everything into him is just complete non-sense.
There is a reason why Montombeau always struggled to be a backup in the NHL. Ducharme is not the reason why.
Getting outshot by a margin of 3 to 1 on a regular basis and seeing a team in front of you that doesn't give a shit. That'll make a goalie perform with confidence, doncha think?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Which is crazy. Arizona, the Habs, and Seattle are all in the top 12, currently, for worst records (points %) in the salary cap era. NJ (20th worst in that timeframe), Philly (22nd), and Ottawa (28th) have all been just as bad.
It's even more hilarious when you consider there isn't a generational talent in the draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's even more hilarious when you consider there isn't a generational talent in the draft.
They don't need to be generational to fill glaring needs. Draft is always a crapshoot that way.

If the Habs can get a top 6 player, it's all good. They have a lot of deadwood to ditch so it'll be better than what they have.

Reactions: 1909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad