NFL: Jets fire GM Mike Maccagnan and VP of Player Personnel

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seriously...I am not a fan of the pay the RB philosophy either but who the **** else were the Jets going to use that money on the next couple years? Might as freaking well if you're the Jets.

And I've never heard of a head coach being worried about money concerns before. The guy's got a Napoleon complex.
Coaches leave the money situation to the GM. They want talent but Gase is playing the long game here I guess.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gase pulling a Chip Kelly I see.

This ALWAYS ends well :facepalm: :sarcasm:

Redskins firing McCloughan a few weeks before the draft finds this timing odd

Another victim of an internal power struggle.

I was just told by a friend who works for a network in Boston he supposedly had some sort of out of work incident last year as well. Ownership wanted to fire him right then and there but decided not to. It then evidently occurred again this winter which FWIW ownership supposedly didn’t find out about til last week or the week before. I have to assume it’s DWI or domestic in nature if this is true

Kills me how these billion dollar organizations with essentially unlimited money never find out about these events. IMO its worth it to have a PI/former law enforcement guy with connections on your payroll for stuff like this. Get ahead of the headlines/rumors.

Jay Glazer is having a bonkers off-season

Lets see how he performs on Ballers first before we make that claim ;) :naughty:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
back-3.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It turns out that maybe hiring the guy who was Peyton Manning's position coach was probably bad. Again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jets meeting with Joe Douglas tonight. He is the favorite. But I don’t know if he’ll take it without final say, nor should he. Saints director of scouting and someone from Seattle also in the mix.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Gase was on the Broncos staff when McDaniels pulled this maneuver, which should give you an idea how quick on the uptake he is.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Has there been any reasonable explanation on why they did this when they did? Other than Gase being a snake in the grass and forcing him out?

I mean I support them firing Maccagnan but it should have been done before the draft and off-season and certainly before hiring Gase.

Sports hirings always are a little odd to me but NFL at times is the most perplexing as it seems like some of the worst guys are given the most rope based on nothing, ie Gase, Garrett, Kingsbury, Taylor, La Fleur. I guess it is because it seems in football owners have/want more input than other sports but there just seems to be more bad coaches, that are obviously bad coaches, not only hired but then kept too long and given too much control than in any other sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad