Jets end of 2023-24 season media availability

Bladerunner62

Mar 16, 2022
55 had a lot to say about what players need to do to get better, improve their game
But had nothing to say about ramping up, urgency, compete, or that next level - like most of the others did.
I don't get his comments at all - this isn't about being 10% better hockey players - it's about ramping up your effort (like the Aves did for example) rather than skills learned over the summer, or what you eat, etc -
It's as though he feels nutrition and working out is the missing pce - although he did mention that he does all those things - lol.
You don't think Nutrition leads to better energy or focus? Nutrition is a HUGE part of an athletes game. Nate Mackinnon is a testament to this. He demands his entire team omit carbs and sugar. So Yes, it plays a big role in an athletes and their teammates. And he is far from the only one that does this. When Fergy drafted Hawerchuck and Arniel, he got them a nutritionist as he knew these guys needed to eat better and take care of themselves better.

Here's the interview with Zadorov on Mack.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
To simply. Schiefele went with what he's doing next, Train hard, get better. Others went with we need to give it 110%. It's all hockey trope. None of it means anything. Other than Hellebuyck. He was pretty direct and specific of what he saw.
The assumption is they are all going to train hard and get better - so maybe his point is that they not good enough and more training will help NY - maybe.
But it is simple IMO - if you are not good enough, you need to out work who is better - and it was nice to hear some of them admit that they needed to bring a higher sense of urgency rather than simply stating, we need to be better.
Not worth dwelling on - we'll likely all take away something a little different from the comments - but that was my impression

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Hellebuyck's pressers are gold. He never criticizes himself, which is sometimes annoying and many will see as complete denial, but I think its precisely that mental toughness which has translated into 4 Vezina nominations. He's carried this team for YEARS. And so when he is asked if he needed to make more saves, he points to the fact that the entire team switched up on him from defensive juggernaut to the orchestra on the Titanic. .And then he points to 10 goals that were scored the exact same way in the series and the team made no adjustments. He's 100% right.
The team went from allowing 2.9 xG against a night to allowing 4.8, which is a larger difference than the change in Hellebuyck's individual GSAX/60 numbers from the regular season to the playoffs (+0.55 to -1.1). Seeing people blame Helle for not stealing games is just hilarious.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Hellebuyck's pressers are gold. He never criticizes himself, which is sometimes annoying and many will see as complete denial, but I think its precisely that mental toughness which has translated into 4 Vezina nominations. He's carried this team for YEARS. And so when he is asked if he needed to make more saves, he points to the fact that the entire team switched up on him from defensive juggernaut to the orchestra on the Titanic. .And then he points to 10 goals that were scored the exact same way in the series and the team made no adjustments. He's 100% right.

To win, we needed him to be Patrick Roy in '93. And thats asking WAY too much.

As for the rest, I really like our leadership group. Lowry, Morrissey, Connor, Hellebuyck and to a lesser extent Scheifele (his comments on offseason training could be read as a criticism to the guys who arent doing it, which is probably correct).

Sounds like Demelo is 100% re-signing, so long as we don't cheap out in negotiations. Monahan very open to staying. This sounds like Ehlers last season as a Jet unless something changes. Toffoli can't wait to GTFO of dodge, which is perfectly fine with me.
It always fascinates me that 7 people can listen to someone speak and then come away with 6 different interpretations of what they heard. I'd like to get my wife -- whose an experienced trial lawyer -- to listen to these interviews and see what she thinks of these guys.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
It always fascinates me that 7 people can listen to someone speak and then come away with 6 different interpretations of what they heard. I'd like to get my wife -- whose an experienced trial lawyer -- to listen to these interviews and see what she thinks of these guys.
These guys have all had professional media training since they were 17 years old and almost all of them will tell you exactly what you want to hear. And so for 99% of them, we just have to rely on body language and their on-ice play to figure out if they are actually sincere.

Bucky's interviews are so unconventional and against the script that they make you question the narrative. Or your own narrative. My interpretation is what I took from it, but I could be wrong....

Reactions: hockeyarena

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sure looks like Bowness is back next year - hopefully something unlocks the Connor-Scheif mystery and the team finally moves on from Pionk... if not, the season will just repeat itself

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't understand some of these comments on here about the players pressers.
What exactly do you want the players to say?
Yes we lost because players x, y and z blew their coverage and made too many mistakes?
Scheifele is not going to talk about others players ... he is doing to talk about what he can do better.
Hellebuyck told the truth he could not see half the goals that went in ... he also make the most saves of any goalie in the playoffs.
I don't think the players should even do these pressers ... what does it accomplish?
Anyone who watched the series knows what went wrong and why they lost.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yes we lost because players x, y and z blew their coverage and made too many mistakes?
Scheifele is not going to talk about others players ... he is doing to talk about what he can do better.
Hellebuyck told the truth he could not see half the goals that went in ... he also make the most saves of any goalie in the playoffs.
I don't think the players should even do these pressers ... what does it accomplish?
I was hoping that Pionk would say he wasn't good at hockey and is retiring.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
True, but we are Jets fans which also makes us masochists. In my case, I am both a hockey sadist and masochist because I derive extreme pleasure from watching the Leafs and their fanbase lose.

But if you really want to see an Olympic gold medal for mindless hockey twaddle, stay tuned for Chevy's presser.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure looks like Bowness is back next year - hopefully something unlocks the Connor-Scheif mystery and the team finally moves on from Pionk... if not, the season will just repeat itself

Did he say he was coming back. I haven't had a chance to listen. Personally think he should move on.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The regular season was pretty decent, although Helle does mask the deficiencies to a large degree.
Cheveldayoff will get a pass.
Chipman will complain about attendance.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Bet this was a real eye opener for them & you would expect a much better response IF we get to post season next year.
Colorado was better and faster in all aspects of the game and we had no answers

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Bones wants to come back, I'm sure his coaching staff would like to come back but really should they. There's going to be changes with this roster this year and we need to start bringing younger more talented players. A great regular season just doesn't cut it anymore

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bones wants to come back, I'm sure his coaching staff would like to come back but really should they. There's going to be changes with this roster this year and we need to start bringing younger more talented players. A great regular season just doesn't cut it anymore

Yup, they need to give Cole and Snerg larger roles. They also need to make room for Ville and one of Lambert/Chibrikov imo.

I don't see Bones being thr coach to facilitate that unless Chevy starts putting his foot down.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I really do feel that it's time for Chevy to move on, he has had more than enough time to get this team further then they have. 3 coaches and they still can't get over the hump. The organization needs someone with fresh eyes to come in and evaluate the current roster and prospects and the plan for the future.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Difficult to read too much into these end of year interviews, but from the players’ perspectives, my guess is:

- Dillon open to extending
- DeMelo open to extending
- Monahan open to extending
- Toffoli likely to explore free agency

This is kinda what I expected to happen, and I think the priorities are Monahan, DeMelo, Dillion (depending on being able to fit things under the cap, maybe only two of those three, but we’ll see), and Toffoli walking into UFA (and hopefully Perfetti becomes an everyday top-6 for us). Just a guess, but that’s my sense of how it’ll go. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Ehlers with 1y left.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I really do feel that it's time for Chevy to move on, he has had more than enough time to get this team further then they have. 3 coaches and they still can't get over the hump. The organization needs someone with fresh eyes to come in and evaluate the current roster and prospects and the plan for the future.
Cheveldayoff’s plans are just to keep everything status quo for as long as possible, and hope for the best. Won’t change anything until he’s absolutely forced to.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Yup, they need to give Cole and Snerg larger roles. They also need to make room for Ville and one of Lambert/Chibrikov imo.

I don't see Bones being thr coach to facilitate that unless Chevy starts putting his foot down.

Yeah, my concern with Bones is I think the organization is at a point right now where it needs to give those younger players opportunities in this upcoming season in order to transition into that next “era”, so-to-speak (and I think we can actually be a winning team even while we do that). That needs to happen for us to really have that multi-year window. There are a lot of young players in the pipeline (and Perfetti currently with the club) who have pretty high ceilings but in order to see that through they will need some ice time. And if a few of these players pan out, it could meaningfully change the makeup of our roster (of course some core players will still be here) and take things to another level.

And my concern/my point here: Based on how Bones did things this year (the prime example being how he dealt with Perfetti), I just don’t think he’s the guy to accomplish this for the jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad