Post-Game Talk: Jets def. Canucks - 4-0

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He was still on the ice. It counts.

I'm not taking umbrage with Demko. I love the kid, arrogant as he was down here. I am taking umbrage at the merciless attacks on Holtby who has been under siege every night as well. He has stopped 2 on 1 s and breakaways on a regular basis, but a tip in or a screen shot goes in and he sucks. I'm not and will not buy it. Has he been Vezina level? NO. How many keepers in any season are?
At this point in his career, Holtby is a backup goalie, period. And this would be fine if the guy was earning under $1m a season. But he's earning five times that.

I think what frustrates Canuck fans is Holtby is just the latest in a long line of players on this team who are performing miles below their contract levels. This is a cap-strapped team headed for early tee times on the golf course for the sixth time in seven seasons. And I'm not even sure you can count last year's bubble as a 'playoff year' because every team with basically a pulse got in.

I tend to agree that dumping on Holtby probably isn't fair. After all, nobody was holding a gun to Jimbo's head when he signed him. But simply put, Holtby is a poor fit on team as atrocious defensively as this Canuck team. And now they're stuck with him for another season.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
We have Hawerchuk?!
cut.jpg

Oops...wrong Hawerchuk. :)

Man, was he absolutely incredible to watch...

Last edited:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
At this point in his career, Holtby is a backup goalie, period. And this would be fine if the guy was earning under $1m a season. But he's earning five times that.

I think what frustrates Canuck fans is Holtby is just the latest in a long line of players on this team who are performing miles below their contract levels. This is a cap-strapped team headed for early tee times on the golf course for the sixth time in seven seasons. And I'm not even sure you can count last year's bubble as a 'playoff year' because every team with basically a pulse got in.

I tend to agree that dumping on Holtby probably isn't fair. After all, nobody was holding a gun to Jimbo's head when he signed him. But simply put, Holtby is a poor fit on team as atrocious defensively as this Canuck team. And now they're stuck with him for another season.
Only one solution really:
Convince Aqua-boy to stop interfering in hockey ops, and Fire Benning.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
About what you'd expect coming off a long road trip with a very depleted lineup. Give credit for try but execution just not there. Losing all of your starting centers has got to be something of a record. Remember a few years ago when team lost near all their defensemen and thing turned into laughable farce with the team bringing in raw rookies and guys seemingly from the East Coast League. May end up doing that now at center. Might end up with lightweight and totally not good enough Jasek getting a chance. Worst of all I guess old Loui might draw back in as well.

Good

Miller - doing yeoman's work trying to hold things together. Showing real leadership with his hustle and determination

Demko - could have been a lot worse - some of the goals were fluky.

Vesey - didn't end up getting much done but by far his best effort. The heartening thing was that he showed a good turn of speed, good lateral moves and an ability to move the puck at speed. May be something here after all.

Hoglander - really you can't say enough about this player. Created so many turnovers and chances. Might have been our best player tonight. Does not seem to be trailing off as the season goes on.

Bad

Hughes - thought he was a little better than of late but still far from good enough around his net. Canucks have got to make assessment whether these problems are fixable. If not then moving him may be a consideration while they can get something for him.

Edler - same as always. Gets played too much and game sags. Starts making mistakes - especially mental mistakes. Neither him or Schmidt were effective.

Gaudette - with MacEwen sort of epitomizes the Canucks in this game. All the effort you could want but zero skill to complete plays. Gaudette simply can't carry the puck at speed or in traffic. When he tries to maneuver the puck he has to slow down losing any edge he has on the opponent. Lot of the time he pushes the puck ahead and simply chases it. He is not an NHL center.

Others

Virtanen - made that one rush and you see what would be possible if he had ahead on his shoulders. At some point you'd like to tell Virtanen to forget everything and just take the puck to the net. Forget trying to be a defensive player or a player trying to manage the play. Just go to the net and rip your shot. Might be, in the end, the only way you get much out of him.

Injuries might finally convince Canucks to think toward next year but I doubt it. Might even see them buy at the deadline in an attempt to replace the injured. Like some homeless person who has little idea where he will bed down tomorrow, the Canucks will likely lurch along with their "lets only think of today" mindset.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
About what you'd expect coming off a long road trip with a very depleted lineup. Give credit for try but execution just not there. Losing all of your starting centers has got to be something of a record. Remember a few years ago when team lost near all their defensemen and thing turned into laughable farce with the team bringing in raw rookies and guys seemingly from the East Coast League. May end up doing that now at center. Might end up with lightweight and totally not good enough Jasek getting a chance. Worst of all I guess old Loui might draw back in as well.

Good

Miller - doing yeoman's work trying to hold things together. Showing real leadership with his hustle and determination

Demko - could have been a lot worse - some of the goals were fluky.

Vesey - didn't end up getting much done but by far his best effort. The heartening thing was that he showed a good turn of speed, good lateral moves and an ability to move the puck at speed. May be something here after all.

Hoglander - really you can't say enough about this player. Created so many turnovers and chances. Might have been our best player tonight. Does not seem to be trailing off as the season goes on.

Bad

Hughes - thought he was a little better than of late but still far from good enough around his net. Canucks have got to make assessment whether these problems are fixable. If not then moving him may be a consideration while they can get something for him.

Edler - same as always. Gets played too much and game sags. Starts making mistakes - especially mental mistakes. Neither him or Schmidt were effective.

Gaudette - with MacEwen sort of epitomizes the Canucks in this game. All the effort you could want but zero skill to complete plays. Gaudette simply can't carry the puck at speed or in traffic. When he tries to maneuver the puck he has to slow down losing any edge he has on the opponent. Lot of the time he pushes the puck ahead and simply chases it. He is not an NHL center.

Others

Virtanen - made that one rush and you see what would be possible if he had ahead on his shoulders. At some point you'd like to tell Virtanen to forget everything and just take the puck to the net. Forget trying to be a defensive player or a player trying to manage the play. Just go to the net and rip your shot. Might be, in the end, the only way you get much out of him.

Injuries might finally convince Canucks to think toward next year but I doubt it. Might even see them buy at the deadline in an attempt to replace the injured. Like some homeless person who has little idea where he will bed down tomorrow, the Canucks will likely lurch along with their "lets only think of today" mindset.

Well said.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Then place the blame where it belongs---------JB.

Everyone who knows hockey had seen Holby fall off the cliff while still playing in front of one of the NHL's elite teams. Picking him up was not a good idea unless the price was that of a normal backup keeper. Jim was enthralled with his past as is the case with most of his acquisitions and the results are in the pudding.

So many HF fans were convin3ed it was a great deal They saw him taking over the #1 spot and the split would be maybe 60/4o or even less for Demko as the backup. A little work with the world's best goalie coach and we'd have Vezina level Holtby back in the nets.

The guy is playing just like he was when acquired, maybe better. If Demko was performing at his past NHL average, Holtby wouldn't actually look all that bad. Got him for another year? Don't blame the guy for taking his money to the bank. All the power to him. Career is coming to an end and the bigger the paycheck the better. I never hold it against anybody who can make a deal for himself with management. They never feel bad about screwing workers. Feels good to see them get some of their own. JB is at the root of another shit contract that adds to the cap debacle. best proof of how bad his deals are is the fact that he can't get out from under them no matter how hard he tries. GMs won't touch those contracts with a ten-foot pole. The only way they could get rid of them is if Aquq were to pay their full salaries + a pick.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Then place the blame where it belongs---------JB.

Everyone who knows hockey had seen Holby fall off the cliff while still playing in front of one of the NHL's elite teams. Picking him up was not a good idea unless the price was that of a normal backup keeper. Jim was enthralled with his past as is the case with most of his acquisitions and the results are in the pudding.

So many HF fans were convin3ed it was a great deal They saw him taking over the #1 spot and the split would be maybe 60/4o or even less for Demko as the backup. A little work with the world's best goalie coach and we'd have Vezina level Holtby back in the nets.

The guy is playing just like he was when acquired, maybe better. If Demko was performing at his past NHL average, Holtby wouldn't actually look all that bad. Got him for another year? Don't blame the guy for taking his money to the bank. All the power to him. Career is coming to an end and the bigger the paycheck the better. I never hold it against anybody who can make a deal for himself with management. They never feel bad about screwing workers. Feels good to see them get some of their own. JB is at the root of another shit contract that adds to the cap debacle. best proof of how bad his deals are is the fact that he can't get out from under them no matter how hard he tries. GMs won't touch those contracts with a ten-foot pole. The only way they could get rid of them is if Aquq were to pay their full salaries + a pick.
Exactly. Nice.

I'll leave my 'theory' of injuries for another time...

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not with Benn he doesnt

Don’t care who QH43 plays with. He cannot defend. Simple. Just a shitty defender all around. Should play 12 mins a night max and PP time. Another Yannik Webber. Small quick defensman that was only useful on the PP and terrible 5 on 5. Except YW could hammer the puck at least.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I called the game (and team) uninspired tonight.
Yet I get the new guys coming in with all the injuries, the lack of game time and cohesion, and the coaches thrown for a bit of a loop. Which left me uninspired I guess..

But, I didn't feel an overwhelming feeling of desire (by our Nucks) to go out there tonight and win this game - compete, yes..
Maybe it's just me.

No more excuses please of new guys in and out. Every team has the same issues every year. We are outplayed every game. Even the games we win.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Yes and bulldog stepped up big time

Reactions: I am toxic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad