Jets Concept

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Like the idea, but I’d drop the speed lines because they make it hard to read, and make the stick shapes look more like sticks.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Great effort Jets2020! I always appreciate new logo concepts (especially Jets ones), and used to spend a lot of time perusing the Chris Creamer forums.

As far as constructive feedback (emphasis as a reminder for other posters), I think it could be improved by making the shape of the stick and wings a little more obviously Jet-like. Currently it's a bit too abstract, but a few tweaks and the Jet could stand out more.

If I'm not mistaken, your jet is seen from below and taking off to the upper right. I think it would improve if you more closely follow the shape like this F15, and make the stick fit within that shape.
f-15-eagle-fighter-jet-take-off-photo-print-5.jpg

I like the wordmarks. IMO, they be better if you remove the grey from them. I like the simplicity of a 3 colour logo, which is a strength of your primary logo (and conversely, too many colours is a weakness of the Jets current primary).

Thanks for showing us your work!

Reactions: Trilliann

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I agree with the other poster. It's visually weak and cluttered. A logo should have a clear outline - e.g. a circle, a letter, an immediately recognizable object like the Sharks logo (which is still stronger in a triangle) or the Patriots logo. The dominant visual aspect of your design is the tail fin of the jet, which is disproportionate to the rest and almost unrecognizable. Also, by making turning the jet like that you get 4 sharp points in an asymmetric shape - again not something visually pleasing like a circle. It looks unbalanced. A jet viewed overhead at least has a cleaner outline and is immediately recognisable.

Even your own description of it as "abstract" is not at all fitting of a sports logo. Can you name a popular sports logo that is best described as "abstract"? Possibly the spaghetti skate, but that's a stretch and it's hardly popular.

I honestly couldn't see the Jet until I read your post. thank you. The tail is so massively oversized that it overwhelmed my perception of the jet.

All I could see was the hockey stick at first but the part which is supposed to be the nose of the plane kept reminding me of the Esplanade Riel Pedestrian Bridge

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
View attachment 131143
The red puck/engine was originally blue with white outline, however lost from a distance.

a hockey stick and what is the other thing in the logo? it took me a bit to figure out it was a hockey stick until I looked at the shoulder patch. nice effort but confusing.

I can see what you are going for there but I agree its confusing. Doesn't automatically coalesce into a hockey stick and a jet.

I like the text 'Jets' and 'Winnipeg'.

I will echo Jet's comment too. :laugh: Its better than what I could do.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I’ll grade what I think:

“Winnipeg”: B+, I like it!

“Jets”: B, pretty good!

Logo: D, I had to look at it for 30 seconds to figure out what I’m looking at and even then I wasn’t sure and missed some of what you were trying to do.

Jets2020

Jul 14, 2018
072318 jets set cj.jpg

simplifed original version and added a second "jet as hockey stick" concept. Uniform templates - still a work in progress...

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I like your effort and motivation but your concept is very far away from being polished and properly good IMO. Don't get discouraged by that though :P Keep working on it!

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I feel that an outsider looking at this would have no idea what the logo represents. We, at least, have past history to inform our view of what you're trying to do here, and while that's important, from a marketing standpoint, I don't see a vague logo being successful. I don't mind the Winnipeg and the Jets. Also feel there should be some common color link between the home and away, whereas you have different blue shades as the only close match. That's just personal preference though.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If we were going to have a new logo, I have to say that I actually love the image the Jets' players had in their locker room during the playoffs. I don't think the organization would ever have the won-tons to use something like it, but its "cool factor" is through the roof. Maybe it's because I liked Iron Maiden back in high school, but let's do something with this...

jetsdeathfromabove-e1523468548405.jpg

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I haven't seen an alternative Jets logo better than what we have now. Even heritage classic, while beautiful jerseys, the logo doesn't really grab me with anything besides nostalgia.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Truth is the Jets current logo is uninspiring, and basically clip art... and from what I've read, the design was never meant as a permanent symbol... Thanks for your (minority) opinion of my original abstract work... The concept is well received on sports/hockey logo websites, while most people see and appreciate the unique idea presented.
Looks like a lot of work went in to it. I'd be ok with the logo if it's ehat the team were wearing. I don't love how high the stripes go up the jersey, though.

A thing I don't love about hockey logos in general is how the artists seem to feel compelled to include a stick and/or puck. Seems cheesy somehow. I like that your inclusion was subtle.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If we were going to have a new logo, I have to say that I actually love the image the Jets' players had in their locker room during the playoffs. I don't think the organization would ever have the won-tons to use something like it, but its "cool factor" is through the roof. Maybe it's because I liked Iron Maiden back in high school, but let's do something with this...

jetsdeathfromabove-e1523468548405.jpg

This is kinda cool.......except for the fact we don't really have Jets in Winnipeg and CFB Winnipeg is a transport wing.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Uninspiring? I’m not sure I would describe our logo using that term. Having said that I will admit that when I first saw our current logo I wasn’t an immediate fan. However I do love it now and perhaps that is due to the fact that I needed some history and memories with this current to connect with it.

I still think that this logo on the Hertitage Classic colour scheme would make the nicest jerseys in the entire league.

Reactions: Naturaledge

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I like the writing, not so much the logo. I am also one of the folks that like the current jersey’s and really wish they would play more games wearing the Heritage Classic.

If they trot out a new design I will of course get one as you really can’t have too many.

Reactions: Trilliann

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
View attachment 131463
The red puck/engine was originally blue with white outline, however lost from a distance.
I really like the creativity here. I love how the part of the Jet makes a giant J (I'd make the tail a bit smaller but I'm no artist) but overall I love what has been done here. I'm not sure it fits as a logo for the club, if you toned the coloring down a bit (went with modern blue and red vs 90's) and use some of the silver in the Jets current set up I'd bet it would be liked more.

I'd remove the blue background too as I think it takes away from the logo.

Otherwise, a great effort and better than most around here could do - be proud!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No I like the current jerseys too.

I like the heritage classic better, but I still really like the regular current jerseys.
I dislike the current Jets logo/ jerseys TBH. I have accepted them and will wear it because I love my team. I got my very first 2.0 jersey cause the guy who shared the pic of the new 3rd gave me one :laugh:

I would be so pumped to wear the HC jersey as our main jersey. Look at the Oilers sweaters - those orange unis are absolutely classic and gorgeous. If/ when the Nords come back I would never want to see a new logo there, either.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think our main jerseys are good/fine. For me it does feel like it’s part of our identity. Now I understand if you 1.0 guys aren’t fans of them. But I think that’s why our WC jerseys were so popular. A little of both worlds and I think they knocked it out of the park with those. There’s a reason they were my first Jet jersey. It’s a dam shame we may not see them again.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Just a bit too much like a jersey from a Hockey Video game that didn’t have a licence from the NHL to use actual logos circa 1998

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad