Value of: Jets Cap Crunch (Myers to Toronto) (Mason, Perreault + Others?)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
OP is seeing the light. But unfortunately for the Jets, next season is just the tip of the iceberg. In year two they are looking at the salary inflation of the salaries of Patrik Laine, Kyle Connor and Blake Wheeler and Tyler Myers, should he still be around. So you're looking at around another $20m of inflation in 2019/20.
Another scary thought. Jets are such a deep team. Will they be the ones most hurt by the next expansion draft, like MN was this year?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Jets are pretty close to the brink of facing a cap crunch next season. With extensions needed for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Armia, Tanev, Comrie, Dano, Petan and Morrow. The last four are likely to get QO's. But the previous 6 are likely to put us right to the brink of the cap.

If the cap goes up to $80mil, which is between the projected 78-82 figures the NHL released. We are going to be pushing $79,784,150 by the time we lock those guys up.

Note: The above figures are with Enstrom, Matthias and Hendricks all being let go to FA.

So most Jets fans are in agreement that we need to move on from two of Myers, Perreault and Mason this off season at the very least just one. We also need to make a little bit of room on the roster and may move on from one of Petan and Dano as well.

So here is my offer to Toronto.

To Toronto
Tyler Myers

To Winnipeg
Toronto 2018 1st Round Pick
Andrew Nielsen or Connor Carrick

- Not sure how prized of a prospect Nielsen is but the Jets would likely need someone to give Poolman some competition on the backend for the 3RD spot and Nielsen could probably do that. Another fan suggested Carrick as a better deal for us.

As far as Perreault goes we'd like to keep him for a bit longer but realize he will be likely be a cap casualty in due time. Mason is another one that we would like to move this off season to open up cap. Not sure about our options there. Moving one of Dano or Petan is also an option to keep our PB from overcrowding.

Value is probably fine but I dont think the Leafs brass would give up a 1st for Myers.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Another scary thought. Jets are such a deep team. Will they be the ones most hurt by the next expansion draft, like MN was this year?

Maybe, but Minnesota kind of authored their own mess and chose to give up multiple players to protect Dumba. As long as the Jets don't panic and do something similarly stupid they'll be losing one player.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jets and Leaf fans generally agreeing on a trade?

What is happening.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't see a world where Chevy accepts a 23rd OA pick and one of Carrick or Nielsen. Heck, I'd give you both players and the pick. It's still not enough.
Nielsen is a never will be if you ask me.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yeah I've had some mixed emotions from leafs fans. Some love it, some hate it. Probably depends on how you feel about developing talent rather then trying to take a step forward sooner.
There's shouldn't be.

Our pick will be between 22 - 25. So not that great.
Carrick - He's had chances but can't stay in the line up. Good 4th pair RHD. Should easily be pushed out by Holl.
Nielsen - Career AHL'er. No value.
I'll give you both defenders and the pick.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't see a world where Chevy accepts a 23rd OA pick and one of Carrick or Nielsen. Heck, I'd give you both players and the pick. It's still not enough.
Nielsen is a never will be if you ask me.
There is a good chance of someone offering more, but given our needs and the fact that this move would be done to preserve cap space, this might be the best package the Leafs could offer. We are quite short on prospective depth at D, and since we are already missing our 1st rounder, acquiring one would help.

I have a gut feeling that Edmonton will look at that 10th OA pick and do something monumentally stupid with it, though. Maybe Chiarelli coughs that up for Myers, which would be lovely.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Those pluses would have to be big
I wasn't speaking specifically about Trouba, i can't see a reason why the Jets would deal him. My ideal target is still Tanev, i think he could be acquired for a 1st+2nd+ something small...keeps the roster intact, and Tanev's style is perfect next to Rielly....Hainsey can then shelter Gardiner's defensive mistakes, and Zaitsev can pair with Dermott.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd do it. Myers wouldn't be the main PMD here and with our need for RHD seems like a fair enough deal. Far prefer that to other teams peddling around their D-men.

Immobility or not, he's physical and provides some size to our back-end. And his skating isn't awful.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets should do their best to keep the lineup. but playing along, I think Myers will gather the highest return but MP will be the easiest to digest because of organizational depth at W for the Jets.

Myers would be a good spot for EDM IMO as an offensive catalyst in the back end. Myers does have some defencies at playing actual D. He is good in one on one situations vs a puck carrier, he uses his long reach really well. However when a play starts to breakdown he will get lost and have very questionable defensive IQ.

MP whoever needs a useful top 6 W. Has huge durability concerns but is a workhorse of a player. great passer, pest on the forecheck, can play lines 1-4 and sparingly at C. makes any line with him better. I think the Tatar trade would be a good estimate for a return for MP perhaps ? Maybe something between tatar and Marcus Johansen (late first, second, third vs a second and third)

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
My guess,
Enstrom - walks
Trouba - 7.5M Longterm
Hellebuyk - 5.5M Longterm
Morrissey - 5.5M Longterm
Armia - 2.5M 2/3yrs
Petan - 1.0M 2yrs
should leave around 2.5M for 3 spares if cap goes up to 80M

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Assuming Myers is opening to staying long term, I'd do that deal.

However, the + to the 2018 1st can't be much as a rental, so Nielsen is a fair price (Lijgren, Dermott are off the table for Myers)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd do it. Myers wouldn't be the main PMD here and with our need for RHD seems like a fair enough deal. Far prefer that to other teams peddling around their D-men.

Immobility or not, he's physical and provides some size to our back-end. And his skating isn't awful.

Tyler Myers physical? guy is a gentle giant out there lol

edit - should reiterate/rephrase a bit, he does use his body but not for huge hits ie: Dustin Byfuglien. He uses his stick/reach to disrupt puck carriers more often than not. He's not soft, but I wouldn't say he is a physical dman

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
My guess,
Enstrom - walks
Trouba - 7.5M Longterm
Hellebuyk - 5.5M Longterm
Morrissey - 5.5M Longterm
Armia - 2.5M 2/3yrs
Petan - 1.0M 2yrs
should leave around 2.5M for 3 spares if cap goes up to 80M
Couldn't we do something like 8x6.5 for Trouba, like Cam fowler?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad