Value of: Jets Cap Crunch (Myers to Toronto) (Mason, Perreault + Others?)

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I like the idea of acquiring Tyler Myers for the Leafs but not at the price of the first round pick... don't like giving futures to alleviate cap troubles for a contender and I'd just go hard for Myers in free agency.
Myers won’t hit FA!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
All the projections have been done with all of those players except Dano and Tanev gone. Losing those 2 can only make it worse since they cost very little.
Tanev I might be able to understand, if just asks for the 105%, or even 110%. Dano, the man doesn't figure into any future plans, that's a million better spent elsewhere. The fact that a dress is on discount doesn't make it worth buying.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The Jets are pretty close to the brink of facing a cap crunch next season. With extensions needed for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Armia, Tanev, Comrie, Dano, Petan and Morrow. The last four are likely to get QO's. But the previous 6 are likely to put us right to the brink of the cap.

If the cap goes up to $80mil, which is between the projected 78-82 figures the NHL released. We are going to be pushing $79,784,150 by the time we lock those guys up.

Note: The above figures are with Enstrom, Matthias and Hendricks all being let go to FA.

So most Jets fans are in agreement that we need to move on from two of Myers, Perreault and Mason this off season at the very least just one. We also need to make a little bit of room on the roster and may move on from one of Petan and Dano as well.

So here is my offer to Toronto.

To Toronto
Tyler Myers

To Winnipeg
Toronto 2018 1st Round Pick
Andrew Nielsen or Connor Carrick

- Not sure how prized of a prospect Nielsen is but the Jets would likely need someone to give Poolman some competition on the backend for the 3RD spot and Nielsen could probably do that. Another fan suggested Carrick as a better deal for us.

As far as Perreault goes we'd like to keep him for a bit longer but realize he will be likely be a cap casualty in due time. Mason is another one that we would like to move this off season to open up cap. Not sure about our options there. Moving one of Dano or Petan is also an option to keep our PB from overcrowding.
Myers shoots right and he is only 28 so he has value, especially since the Leafs are thin on the right side. At 5.5million he is overpaid though, and that hurts his value, but that is only for one year (Cap-a-geddon is in the offseason after this one when they have to sign Marner and Matthews).

Toronto probably isn't the best place for a cap-dump, although this is intriguing and would be nice if it could be made to work for both sides. If Myers could be signed for a reasonable extension (say sub-5 million), then I think this could definitely work. The Jets would get immediate Cap relief and Carrick or Neilson would be a serviceable 6-7th dman next year. as well as a 1st round pick The Leafs would get a right shooting top-4 dman to help cut Hainsey and Zaitsev's minutes down which would really help shore up that weak right side. As a fan of both teams, in this scenario (where an extension is in place) I think this would help both the Jets and the Leafs.

Weirdly, I think Montreal might make the better trading partner: They desperately need a mobile top-4 Dman, have the cap space to absorb the overpriced contract and a boatload of draft-picks to send back to the Jets.

Last edited:

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Neither offers are even close......between his skill, performance, production and contract (both dollars & term) Mark is untouchable.
The Toronto package isn't bad given how Nylander is already a top-line winger and could potentially become a future top-6 C and Liljiegren does project to be a top-4 D. But no, Scheifele right now is a franchise C, and those are hard to come by. The Jets are contenders right now, they can't afford to ship out their 1C and best player. Not for wingers and futures. Unless the Leafs are willing to part with Matthews (and they obviously won't be) then no trade with Toronto should involve Scheifele.

The Montreal offer is just a joke.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The Toronto package isn't bad given how Nylander is already a top-line winger and could potentially become a future top-6 C and Liljiegren does project to be a top-4 D. But no, Scheifele right now is a franchise C, and those are hard to come by. The Jets are contenders right now, they can't afford to ship out their 1C and best player. Not for wingers and futures.

The Montreal offer is just a joke.

Agreed.....but Leafs offer is about to get worse when Nylander ends getting a deal paying him more money then Mark gets paid. But yes of the two offers the Leafs one is better, just not good enough.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Agreed.....but Leafs offer is about to get worse when Nylander ends getting a deal paying him more money then Mark gets paid. But yes of the two offers the Leafs one is better, just not good enough.
Yeah, Nylander could be...dicey. He didn't slump this year but at 61 points (again) he didn't improve to the same degree as Matthews and Marner. I see leafs fans throwing out numbers like $5million per year long-term contract offers... and that is unrealistic. $6-7 million is probably what happens, which is semi-reasonable given what he has done and what he likely will do in the future (especially if he becomes a full-time centre).

The talent going back and forth in that hypothesized trade is comparable given the age of the pieces in Toronto (I would say a second round pick should be included too for Mark), but it doesn't make sense given Winnipeg is looking to win a Cup right now. Teams like that don't trade out a franchise centre for anything. If Scheifele played for a bottom feeder then I could see such a trade happening, but not on the Jets.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Done and done. Though based on Myers play now and his ability to remain a top 4 defender moving forward what contract do you feel he will look at? I would give him a 6 year 5.3 million deal. Would that be an underpayment or overpayment based on his age, durability, and current level of play.

That seems like a decent deal - he has his shortcomings but is a pretty solid #3-type guy. He's young enough that that term would be fine (unless his injuries return, who knows about that).

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Why exactly would the Jets let him walk to FA instead of trading him?
What does trading him have to do with free agency?
He has a year left on his contract, whether he plays out that year with the Jets or on another team doesn't affect him going to free agency.
The Leafs simply have to wait a year to be able to sign him without giving up any assets.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Myers is a pilon. We don't want him.

Non the less he is a pilon that is still in the playoffs.

Moving on, I think the Sabers would be a good destination for Myers to migrate back into as they’d be looking for a potential Dahlin pairing. I could see us getting the Sabers 2nd and 4th round pick for that.

Perreault is probably a keeper for now but we could use the value into finding a future prospect or pick.

Ideally now that the Jets know they’re core(Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, Trouba and guys who will start to age out of the core in Wheeler and Buff) so they need to stalk pile prospects for positional needs of the future while saving money for that core(through ELC’s and the Cap rise). Getting rid of 9m and retaining future needs is probably the best for the organizations future but they do need to be careful because messing with a teams chemistry and veteran talents can potentially ruin a success franchise(for instance Ottawa).

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What does trading him have to do with free agency?
He has a year left on his contract, whether he plays out that year with the Jets or on another team doesn't affect him going to free agency.
The Leafs simply have to wait a year to be able to sign him without giving up any assets.
I imagine it’s quite likely he could be traded and even more likely he re-signs with the team he is traded to.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tanev I might be able to understand, if just asks for the 105%, or even 110%. Dano, the man doesn't figure into any future plans, that's a million better spent elsewhere. The fact that a dress is on discount doesn't make it worth buying.

I'm not talking about his utility as a player. But in the context of dealing with the cap crunch Dano has no effect, one way or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad