Proposal: Jets and Kings Blockbuster Trade

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jet's can't afford Doughty, And Trouba by all accounts wants the east coast of US. Nuff said.

If Trouba does sign a contract with any West team I think you need to take out full page apology ads in all NA newspapers to let everyone know that you're 100% rock solid theory was incorrect.
If he signs out east then you can just start a Main thread board and paste all 10,000 of your posts about what he was going to do as proof you were right.

Deal?

Reactions: Snowman

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You sign a long-term extension to play out the twilight of your career in Southern California, make sure to get full NMC protection (which he also managed to get appended to this final year of his old deal), and then your team proposes to send you to live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. You refuse.

Doughty has already won his Cups, and he isn't about to go chasing them elsewhere because a team's fortunes eclipse those of his present club. The allure of a deep Jets team is likely lost on him.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
You sign a long-term extension to play out the twilight of your career in Southern California, make sure to get full NMC protection (which he also managed to get appended to this final year of his old deal), and then your team proposes to send you to live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. You refuse.

Doughty has already won his Cups, and he isn't about to go chasing them elsewhere because a team's fortunes eclipse those of his present club. The allure of a deep Jets team is likely lost on him.

Disagree. Money is important to Doughty just like every player, but he HATES losing. He's been pretty blunt about it all season, and last season as well. Winning is very important to him, and given the right opportunity, I could see him willing to move elsewhere, especially if he doesnt "see the light at the end of the tunnel" with the Kings.

Not sure the Jets would be the right fit. Also, if Kings move Doughty, it means we are DONE trying to compete, and everyone else (Kopitar, Carter, Muzzin, Quick) which has any value must go immediately. Which means we'd want only picks and prospects under 20 years, cause it will be an ugly 3-4 year period.

Personally, I'd want like 3 1st round picks for Doughty, could be staggered over 4-5 years.[/QUOTE]

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Jets are winning with who we already have.

Kings can keep all their players.

See ya!!

That's all well and good, and I like the Jets so I wish you the best, but if Jake Muzzin or Alec Martinez is the difference between winning and not winning the cup, you trade for one of them. Even if it costs a first.

Reactions: Oseductive

E76

Sep 29, 2018
In my opinion, whenever a team adds or signs a player for 10+ million it shortens your competitive window (no matter how good they are). You may be able to keep your core in tact for a period of time but when you start having 2-3 players around the 10+ Million you are making sacrifices somewhere else.

Any team could find a way to squeeze Doughty on to their roster today, but in turn would probably have to start shedding contracts of others (Top 6 FWDs & Top 4Ds) as soon as the next offseason.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He's a guy who can do it all half of every game and stay healthy and he's in his prime. He's worth every penny. And if you disagree that's fine, but no one is worth more. Unless, as mentioned before, you're using a 1/3 season to completely invalidate a HoF-probable career, which you were clearly doing, so shrug.

He's still not worth 11 million lol
He's getting that because he's a ufa. If he was still an rfa he wouldn't be getting that because it's worth it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Kings fell in the trap, a common one, of falling in love with their own players. Successful players previously, and now paying them more for which likely be diminishing returns. Next year Kopitar 10m Doughty 11m,(new comer) Kovalchuk 6.25,,,,,27.25m. One third of the cap on those guys. Add in 5.8m Quick and Brown. 44m for five players and THOSE players.
Makes the cap crunch of the Jets, Leafs and Lightning next year look very reasonable.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
So Karlsson isn’t a Doughty level player?
Right. So let's all just completely overlook the fact that the Senators were a dumpster fire and Karlsson WAS NOT going to re-sign there, and also forget that Doughty just signed a long term extension.

Please do some research before coming up with an argument for your cause. Doughty is not getting traded for some scraps that won't re-sign here and late 1st round picks.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
This might be the funniest/worst clapback I've seen on these boards :laugh:

God damn right we did. Truly hope you get to enjoy at least half the success we had.
Hey thanks man appreciate the sentiment.

I wasn’t making fun of your team for winning cups you’re just going to be bad for quite a long time now so I hope you enjoyed the cups.

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
He's still not worth 11 million lol
He's getting that because he's a ufa. If he was still an rfa he wouldn't be getting that because it's worth it

Huh? He's only worth $11M because he was an UFA? Yeah, that's the point of making it to UFA, the market dictates how much a player is worth. I'm not sure why you say "he isn't worth it" when more teams than not would have been happy to sign him for $11M.

Not only that, but after making $11M per year, a lot of teams would happily pick up the phone if the Kings called about trading him.

That alone is what makes him "worth" his contract.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Huh? He's only worth $11M because he was an UFA? Yeah, that's the point of making it to UFA, the market dictates how much a player is worth. I'm not sure why you say "he isn't worth it" when more teams than not would have been happy to sign him for $11M.

Not only that, but after making $11M per year, a lot of teams would happily pick up the phone if the Kings called about trading him.

That alone is what makes him "worth" his contract.

Yes so he's onky worth that much becsuse gms are willing to compete for a player. That ufa price makes him more expensive than he should be if youre building s consistent contending team

So doughty isn't worth scheifele plus ehlers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad