Confirmed with Link: Jets agree to terms on a 2-year contract with Paul Postma (887.5k AAV)

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Morrissey isn't affected by the 9 game trial anymore. That applies only to junior players.

Harrison is not slightly more valuable than Pardy. The best thing that could happen would be if he was claimed off waivers.

Exactly. If that were the worst case scenario then it is manageable. Pardy will clear waivers, he has before and will continue to. Unless a team is in a pinch and claims, in which case he was a very serviceable D man while here.

Either way it is low risk in sending them down.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
2 years... interesting.

Hope this signals an impending Byfuglien trade. Paul Postma is an NHL defenseman. I would hate to see him wasted another year and find it hard to believe he'd sign for 2 years if the deal was to keep him in the press box.

Good value.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Except the evidence would suggest that the Jets don't consider Stuart and Chiarot fringe players (okay maybe Chairot). But if Stuart is on the team and is healthy he will be in the line-up. The organization loves him. Even 10,000 fan forum posts won't change that.

Some of our signings do have a bit of a "good ol boys club" feel to them.....which is disappointing.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
2 years... interesting.

Hope this signals an impending Byfuglien trade. Paul Postma is an NHL defenseman. I would hate to see him wasted another year and find it hard to believe he'd sign for 2 years if the deal was to keep him in the press box.

Good value.

Not debating or arguing your logic, I just don't understand it. Can you explain your point regarding Buff potential trade and Postma signing?

I look at as just another meh signing of a another fringe player to a two year deal. See Thor, Clitsome, Peluso, etc....

Thx

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Not debating or arguing your logic, I just don't understand it. Can you explain your point regarding Buff potential trade and Postma signing?

I look at as just another meh signing of a another fringe player to a two year deal. See Thor, Clitsome, Peluso, etc....

Thx

Because it keeps our right depth intact.

Trouba
Myers
Postma

As opposed to what we have now down the right side. With the amount of right defenders we have it makes little sense to re-up a bottom pairing guy when we have three potential top pairing guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Thx

I see a connection between us on signing a boat load of defenseman mostly short term and having a lack of forwards signed a fare-bearing to a potential Buff trade. I see a Buff trade bringing back a young middle 6 forward and a defense prospect a year or 2 away. Just seems like it is setting up to me.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Because it keeps our right depth intact.

Trouba
Myers
Postma

As opposed to what we have now down the right side. With the amount of right defenders we have it makes little sense to re-up a bottom pairing guy when we have three potential top pairing guys.

I understand that of course, but to be honest I don't give Chevy that much credit based on some of his other moves/nonmoves.

I see a connection between us on signing a boat load of defenseman mostly short term and having a lack of forwards signed a fare-bearing to a potential Buff trade. I see a Buff trade bringing back a young middle 6 forward and a defense prospect a year or 2 away. Just seems like it is setting up to me.

Mmmm, maybe.....let's hope. Thus is a bit more evidence than just looking at the defense. But again not holding my breath on Chevy. I'll believe when I see it.

I've seen no evidence Chevy is willing to make tough decisions regarding core players. Once he starts doing that I'll believe more. To date he's made on trade (NHL players for NHL player) and that was forced on him so it means nothing to me regarding his ability to move core pieces.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I've seen no evidence Chevy is willing to make tough decisions regarding core players. Once he starts doing that I'll believe more. To date he's made on trade (NHL players for NHL player) and that was forced on him so it means nothing to me regarding his ability to move core pieces.

Isn't signing Ladd long term (rumoured almost done) one of those tough decisions? Or is it only tough if you decide the other way and trade him? IMO he's making the decision, you just don't agree with it. The same reasoning applies to Buff, whether he trades him or signs him it is making a tough decision.

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Don't think the Postma signing says much about a potential Buff trade. They could still be moving him (or another RHD) to his off side, to make two strong top pairings.

jetkarma*

Don't think the Postma signing says much about a potential Buff trade. They could still be moving him (or another RHD) to his off side, to make two strong top pairings.

Agreed , just securing a decent asset at a decent price for a couple of years . Also gives some depth and at a cheap price .

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some of our signings do have a bit of a "good ol boys club" feel to them.....which is disappointing.

Thx

It's depth, and asset management. For me: no more, no less. Allowing an asset you've developed to walk is silly. Postma is a useful player, no matter how many times you say "meh", and he could have trade value, if not value on the roster.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I don't see this as having anything to do with Buff either, but I think it helps in the case of either a trade or an extension.

Trade: The Jets have a cheap, bottom pair D man to slot onto the 3rd pair.
Extension: The Jets have a cheap depth piece that can ride the press box and not dent the cap.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I understand that of course, but to be honest I don't give Chevy that much credit based on some of his other moves/nonmoves.

Mmmm, maybe.....let's hope. Thus is a bit more evidence than just looking at the defense. But again not holding my breath on Chevy. I'll believe when I see it.

Not sure this is entirely fair?

Chevy pulled off a huge trade where he moved out a 3rd overall pick and a 4th overall pick for a rental, a former rookie of the year, and 3 first round picks (actually Lemieux was 31st overall so borderline first). If he just fire sold Kane then I would agree but the trade was a blockbuster and it showed me that club is in his bag.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I just don't see Clitsome coming back. Again, same surgery for the same injury. It didn't heal properly so they had to go back in again. I think he's done and ends up LTIR. So this only gives us 9 D if we discount Clitsome which I think in time we'll get that announcement, though not until closer to or in the season. Do LTIR salaries count against the cap?
Technically, yes... but... teams are allowed to exceed the nominal cap, without penalty, by the amount of salary they pay out on LTIR. It's similar to the LTIR cap-hit not counting, but the wording is different. E.g. the Leafs traded Clarkson for Horton. Horton's salary is very similar to Clarkson's. But Horton is permanently on LTIR, and the Leafs now have more cap room, because they can exceed the nominal cap by the amount of Horton's cap hit. Is that clear as mud? :help:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Technically, yes... but... teams are allowed to exceed the nominal cap, without penalty, by the amount of salary they pay out on LTIR. It's similar to the LTIR cap-hit not counting, but the wording is different. E.g. the Leafs traded Clarkson for Horton. Horton's salary is very similar to Clarkson's. But Horton is permanently on LTIR, and the Leafs now have more cap room, because they can exceed the nominal cap by the amount of Horton's cap hit. Is that clear as mud? :help:

That makes sense, it just doesn't make sense :laugh:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If Morrissey isn't good enough to make fringe guys like Stuart, Harrison, Chiarot, et al expendable, then he's not ready anyways.

I like Postma...... As a 6-7 man

Stuart Chaiot and Harisson all make more cake $ than Postma and are all Ld vs Postma Rd position. Postma would be a regular RD on a lot of NHL clubs ( see Redmond/Col) but is stuck behind A trio of RD of Buff/Myers/Trouba that is hard to crack.
I am calling it right now..... Postma is going to rove his worth this year and next years buzz will be about keeping him or trading him in his last year B4 UFA.

Edit....Sorry just re read your post and U were talking about Morrisey in the Postma thread.... Not Postma

Well ..... I still like Postma and agree and applaud the signing.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Isn't signing Ladd long term (rumoured almost done) one of those tough decisions? Or is it only tough if you decide the other way and trade him? IMO he's making the decision, you just don't agree with it. The same reasoning applies to Buff, whether he trades him or signs him it is making a tough decision.

Who said I didn't agree with signing Ladd? If that's what your saying. Is signing a player to a contract a tough decision? It could be, depends on the player, tear, dollars, age of player, style of play, injury history, etc.

IMO saying Ladd is a no brainer, not tough in the least.......unless Ladd is demanding 7-8 year term. 6 year term......not sure about. 5 years or less I say yes sign him. Lots of variables to consider before saying its a tough decision or not, but I agree it could be.

As you noted no decision has been made to date on Ladd.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's depth, and asset management. For me: no more, no less. Allowing an asset you've developed to walk is silly. Postma is a useful player, no matter how many times you say "meh", and he could have trade value, if not value on the roster.

Hmmmmm ok, not sure what your comments have to do with the two posts of mine you quoted.

One was about the useless plugs/tough guys we sign.....that's depth or asset management? Nope

Postma has little to no value.......maybe 5-7 round pick if we're lucky. But again I never said it was a bad signing.....if you think I did show me where I said that. All I stated is the truth....Postma is nothing but a 7-10th defenseman......that I don't care about.....they're a dime a dozen. Never stated anything negative about the signing.....

Heck in theory Peluso adds some marginal value and might have small value......don't care about him either. Not sure what your point is.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hmmmmm ok, not sure what your comments have to do with the two posts of mine you quoted.

I'm discussing Postma. If you're not sure what my comments have to do with your statements about Postma, then I guess I should drop this line of discussion.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Good signing,

Strong RIght Defense

Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Postma

The left Defense

Enstrom
Stuart
Chairot
Morrissey

Harrison and Pardy, rounds out the 10 D

Solid D, they will look better if Jets have a better goalie in net

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Not sure this is entirely fair?

Chevy pulled off a huge trade where he moved out a 3rd overall pick and a 4th overall pick for a rental, a former rookie of the year, and 3 first round picks (actually Lemieux was 31st overall so borderline first). If he just fire sold Kane then I would agree but the trade was a blockbuster and it showed me that club is in his bag.

We look at it slightly differently....which is fine. We know that Kane was a forced trade, Chevy had very little if any option. We know Buff GM really wanted Kane and wanted to further his tank job. These facts helped Chevy. What we don't know for sure is details about Myers and Bogo. Did Chevy offer up Bogo or did Buff GM demand Bogo as part of the trade. We will never know, but it's interesting at least to me.

If Bogo was offered up by Chevy, that would impress me. If Buff GM demanded Bogo as part of the trade.....meh I give Chevy less credit for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downgrading the trade or return, I'm just curious about the details. Was Chevy forced into trade Bogo to get the trade done, or did he offered him up. We will never know so it's kind of a mute point.

His TD trades were minor, nothing I would consider big. I'm not saying Chevy doesn't have it in him, just he hasn't proven it yet. If he were to trade Buff, that IMO would end any doubt from me.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm discussing Postma. If you're not sure what my comments have to do with your statements about Postma, then I guess I should drop this line of discussion.

I explained my POV regarding Postma, not sure what your point is. As I stated he's a depth guy, 7-10th in the depth chart. Ok.

Are we going to have a ticket parade at Portage and Main? Yes I'm using sarcasm to make my point, not trying to be a jerk about it......just don't see what the big deal is.

I get some here like to discuss every single minor move by the Jets......me I'm interested only in moves that might exactly have a noticeable effect on the team......IE roster players now or in the future. I don't think Postma will every be a perm roster player.....he hasn't made it so far....I truely hope he makes it in the next couple of years but I doubt it.

This is why I tend to avoid threads about depth players.... Don't care. But I respect others that do care.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Hunter: Postma is a piece of the puzzle - that's why it interests me. There has to be a reason why there are so many NHL defensemen signed. Trade? Depth only? Etc. I find the story, and trying to get to the bottom of the story, interesting. We are not flies on the wall, so we have to deduce what's going on.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
@Hunter: Postma is a piece of the puzzle - that's why it interests me. There has to be a reason why there are so many NHL defensemen signed. Trade? Depth only? Etc. I find the story, and trying to get to the bottom of the story, interesting. We are not flies on the wall, so we have to deduce what's going on.

I agree. Like I said I understand and respect people who find these minor moves interesting. It's just not my thing.

Again I have not critized this signing in anyway. Personally I hope I never see Postma play on the Jets team.....that would mean to me we are in good shape, free of injuries to our top 6. No offence meant towards Postma. :)

If we traded Buff......and Postma or someone else stepped into that 6th position.....I would be very happy. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad