Confirmed with Link: Jets agree to terms on a 2-year contract with Paul Postma (887.5k AAV)

jetkarma*

And other times not , he may or may not evolve but he has more of a chance to have a more regular ice time ongoing career at the NHL level than either of them . We'll obviously see , there was a playoff hunt on all year and Maurice values players he knows and likes and experience .

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
With the emphasis on shot blocking in today's NHL .... Pardy and Postma will see plenty of ice time as the Jets 7/8 D men.
Buff is also highly likely to be traded moving Postma up to 6 th D- Man.
2 years at >.9 mill per season is great value for what Postma brings to the table.
I see Harrisson being the odd man out and being exposed to waivers.... Hopefully somebody grabs him and we don't have to pay his 1 million $ salary in the AHL.
Clitsome I see as a year long member of the IR club. Hopefully the club is properly insured on that contract for 2 mill. If he is healthy I don't think he makes the top 8 let alone the top 6.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Last season, Postma was scratched in favor of Harrison and/or Pardy multiple times.

Which made no sense to anyone but Po MO, and when he finally did get into a game after no playing for two months he was the best D man on the ice, was first star and managed to get injured again.:(

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I think Postma started to gain the confidence of PMo and then right away he got hurt. I expect or maybe just hope that Postma would play ahead of Pardy and Harrison.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the emphasis on shot blocking in today's NHL .... Pardy and Postma will see plenty of ice time as the Jets 7/8 D men.
Buff is also highly likely to be traded moving Postma up to 6 th D- Man.
2 years at >.9 mill per season is great value for what Postma brings to the table.
I see Harrisson being the odd man out and being exposed to waivers.... Hopefully somebody grabs him and we don't have to pay his 1 million $ salary in the AHL.
Clitsome I see as a year long member of the IR club. Hopefully the club is properly insured on that contract for 2 mill. If he is healthy I don't think he makes the top 8 let alone the top 6.

Do you really believe that? The draft was the obvious time to do that. Apparently some teams inquired and were told there was no point in pursuing it. I've accepted that he will be back. I just hope he doesn't get too much term and $$$.

I think Postma started to gain the confidence of PMo and then right away he got hurt. I expect or maybe just hope that Postma would play ahead of Pardy and Harrison.

Hope you are right. When an RHD is moved over he is the best 3RHD candidate we have.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
PoMo did talk about "getting quicker" which leans way more towards Postma over Harrison and Pardy.

He even mentioned about Postma being an effective weapon for 3v3 OT.

Interesting since it feels like Paul was in the dog house for a stretch last season? Maybe it's because they saw the Ducks up close and their puck retrieval and transition was druel worthy. Fast, quick, skilled, decisive, then supported by great breakout design. Postma has the skills nessesary to hold up his end on the fire drill IMO

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
PoMo did talk about "getting quicker" which leans way more towards Postma over Harrison and Pardy.

He even mentioned about Postma being an effective weapon for 3v3 OT.

He did, but he also mentioned him at the back end of his list of defencement IIRC. If the Jets go with one d-man in the 3-on-3, it's pretty easy to see them cycling through Buff (if he's still here, he was mentioned by Mo), Trouba, Myers and Enstrom without even using Postma.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Postma is criminally underrated among Jets fans. He is a great 3rd pairing guy IF he can get a role on the PP. He is an amazing PP player that has never had a chance (largely due to Enstrom, Byfuglien, Perreault, Trouba, Bogosian, Myers). In the right role he is for sure as good as someone like Joe Corvo (708gp, 310pts). Just been trapped behind good RH D that won't allow him his chance. I am really hoping he gets a chance here but I don't see it, I'd love to see him traded to excel. He could be 2nd pairing RD with LA with 2nd pairing PP minutes and really excel (while Voynov is out). He needs that chance before his prime is over.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
2 years... interesting.
Hope this signals an impending Byfuglien trade. Paul Postma is an NHL defenseman. I would hate to see him wasted another year and find it hard to believe he'd sign for 2 years if the deal was to keep him in the press box. Good value.
While I disagree with your opinion of Buff, I do agree that this sets up a win-win situation in the event he is traded. See below.
Postma is criminally underrated among Jets fans. He is a great 3rd pairing guy IF he can get a role on the PP. He is an amazing PP player that has never had a chance (largely due to Enstrom, Byfuglien, Perreault, Trouba, Bogosian, Myers). In the right role he is for sure as good as someone like Joe Corvo (708gp, 310pts). Just been trapped behind good RH D that won't allow him his chance. I am really hoping he gets a chance here but I don't see it, I'd love to see him traded to excel. He could be 2nd pairing RD with LA with 2nd pairing PP minutes and really excel (while Voynov is out). He needs that chance before his prime is over.
I agree that Postma is starting-NHL defenceman quality and has been the victim of a)a strong Jets RHD corps, b)injury and c)Maurice's lack of familiarity with him. To me, the difference between Postma as a #7D and #4/5D is a millisecond of reaction time when pressed in his own zone...and I think he is at the stage of development where he could pick that up without missing a step. IOW, he may just be entering his prime.
If so, the big question is, why did he accept a 2-year deal with the Jets when he is worth an least double his second year's salary as a UFA?? Either we are over-rating him or he was told something very reassuring by Chevy.
If Postma is a bona fide NHL starter and PP man just entering his prime--and I believe he is--he left a million dollars on the table in the second year of this contract. Athough I am very happy at the bargain Chevy got, it leaves a lot of interesting questions.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
While I disagree with your opinion of Buff, I do agree that this sets up a win-win situation in the event he is traded. See below.

I agree that Postma is starting-NHL defenceman quality and has been the victim of a)a strong Jets RHD corps, b)injury and c)Maurice's lack of familiarity with him. To me, the difference between Postma as a #7D and #4/5D is a millisecond of reaction time when pressed in his own zone...and I think he is at the stage of development where he could pick that up without missing a step. IOW, he may just be entering his prime.
If so, the big question is, why did he accept a 2-year deal with the Jets when he is worth an least double his second year's salary as a UFA?? Either we are over-rating him or he was told something very reassuring by Chevy.
If Postma is a bona fide NHL starter and PP man just entering his prime--and I believe he is--he left a million dollars on the table in the second year of this contract. Athough I am very happy at the bargain Chevy got, it leaves a lot of interesting questions.

I disagree that he right now is "worth" more than what he signed at. He is signed for market value for what has he shown. I don't think another year on the Jets buried behind their depth will increase his value. I think he accepted the deal basically to stay in the NHL where in the Jets system it might be easy to bury him where he couldn't persue the NHL career (coughKuldacough). I could see him having a "later" career resurgence like Anton Stralman.

I think he can show way more if given the chance. I really think he just needs a real chance somewhere else where he can play PP and show his value. He could be a 40 point D-man in a situation where he can play real minutes and play PP. He has been stopped by the great depth of Jets RD depth and great Jets PP D so far.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Holden: signing him to that sweetheart deal means that he would be an easy D-man to move, especially if a team is looking for a cheap puckmoving defenseman like Postma.

It sucks, but if there's a logjam on RHD and on the PP, perhaps the best utilization of Postma is to trade him to strengthen other areas, or acquire more picks. Helps the player, and helps the Jets.

Or, they could see him as necessary depth in case of injuries, or as a useful player if the RHD logjam is resolved in some other manner (Buff gets moved, instead).

I personally like Postma - his skating is excellent, his outlet passes are quite good, and he's pretty darned efficient at getting pucks through to the net.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I disagree that he right now is "worth" more than what he signed at. He is signed for market value for what has he shown. I don't think another year on the Jets buried behind their depth will increase his value. I think he accepted the deal basically to stay in the NHL where in the Jets system it might be easy to bury him where he couldn't persue the NHL career (coughKuldacough). I could see him having a "later" career resurgence like Anton Stralman.

I think he can show way more if given the chance. I really think he just needs a real chance somewhere else where he can play PP and show his value. He could be a 40 point D-man in a situation where he can play real minutes and play PP. He has been stopped by the great depth of Jets RD depth and great Jets PP D so far.
We are mostly on the same page here (as we were on Kulda :) ).
My argument was that he is worth the first year of his contract, but, potentially, much more next year as a UFA.
There is a reasonable likelihood is that Postma plays 40 games with the Jets this year if he stays healthy (based on 15 games lost to injury per starting RHD). If Buff is traded, that could increase to >60 games. If he is as good as we think, he would then be worth much more next year as a UFA. That is what I would have advised, had I been his agent.
But I am not......

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'd agree Postma got market value. He is 26 yo with 100 games and 18 points to his name. He has kept himself in the NHL for 2 more years to help get his career off the ground. A also see potential, but he is competing with a lot of other players with potential. If Buff ever gets moved the sea will part for him assuming we don't get another RHD back.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Last season, Postma was scratched in favor of Harrison and/or Pardy multiple times.

Not entirely true

*puts on tinfoil hat*

I don't think we're getting the full story. I think Paul Postma has been battling injuries all year. Not enough to put him on IR. Maybe there were blood clot worries? Plus he has always had to battle 3 big guys for a roster spot when they're healthy. There's no way one of them is going to sit, and who knows about Paul on the left side.

He played exactly one game after January 8. Looking at his game log, he is easily the #6 guy as far as TOI. Even around Christmas he was barely getting minutes So either he cannot handle big minutes, or Maurice doesn't trust him with big minutes. He only averaged 14 minutes a game. Almost no PK, and averaged a minute on PP.

So why all the healthy scratches after Jan 8? Quite honestly he looked almost like our best D-man at the beginning of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad