Confirmed with Link: Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
I honestly hope Tangradi works out for you guys. I thought the Penguins management and coaching staff grossly mishandled his development, and him turning into at least a functional winger for you guys would send Bylsma, Shero, and co. a much-needed message. Good luck.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I honestly hope Tangradi works out for you guys. I thought the Penguins management and coaching staff grossly mishandled his development, and him turning into at least a functional winger for you guys would send Bylsma, Shero, and co. a much-needed message. Good luck.

From what I understand, you guys hate Bylsma, anyways.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I still really like this trade. Very low-risk on our part.

A guy Tangradi should be able to mold his game after is our own Blake Wheeler. They both play very similar games. I'd say that they're both primarily playmakers, but both have been typecasted as powerforwards simply because of their size. Yet I'd say both play a "small mans game" which has caused their respective fanbases (Wheeler with Boston and Tangradi with Pittsburgh) to dislike them. Wheeler has since added a bit of hitting and grit into his game, but that's not really what I expect from him anymore. I think we should gear our expectations for Tangradi to become a sort of Wheeler-lite for us. In fact I'd even recommend Tangradi shed a few pounds to get a little more speed back into his game.

I think if Tangradi looks at the success Wheeler has had with us and possibly mimic that type of play he can find success of his own for us.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I still really like this trade. Very low-risk on our part.

A guy Tangradi should be able to mold his game after is our own Blake Wheeler. They both play very similar games. I'd say that they're both primarily playmakers, but both have been typecasted as powerforwards simply because of their size. Yet I'd say both play a "small mans game" which has caused their respective fanbases (Wheeler with Boston and Tangradi with Pittsburgh) to dislike them. Wheeler has since added a bit of hitting and grit into his game, but that's not really what I expect from him anymore. I think we should gear our expectations for Tangradi to become a sort of Wheeler-lite for us. In fact I'd even recommend Tangradi shed a few pounds to get a little more speed back into his game.

I think if Tangradi looks at the success Wheeler has had with us and possibly mimic that type of play he can find success of his own for us.

only problem there is one of wheelers biggest asssets is his speed. By all accounts that is one tangradi's biggest issues.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
only problem there is one of wheelers biggest asssets is his speed. By all accounts that is one tangradi's biggest issues.

Yeah, he'd never be as fast as Wheeler. In fact some players have stated Blake is the fastest player on the team. It's why I think him shedding a few pounds down to around 200lbs (where Wheeler is at) would be more beneficial to him. Wheeler however is a first line player and I see Tangradi as being a 3rd liner, with still some possible 2nd line upside. I don't think the lack of speed will be all that detrimental to him in that role.

It really seems like the Penguins were trying to force a square piece into a round hole. Trying to get Tangradi to put on weight and play a powerforward game, when that's not really the game Tangradi's brain is built for.

I hope we don't make the same mistake and instead allow Tangradi to play his own game and play to the best of his abilities.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
And Wheeler has a nice shot and great hands... I haven't read anything like that about Tangradi.

So speed, hands and shot are different. I wouldn't really compare them.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
And Wheeler has a nice shot and great hands... I haven't read anything like that about Tangradi.

So speed, hands and shot are different. I wouldn't really compare them.

I've read differently. I've heard Tangradi has quite solid hands and a decent shot. He was always credited with solid distribution skills. Especially in junior.

Even looking at a scoresheet he's been able to put up points at the lower levels. I haven't heard many concerns on his hands from Pens fans. Mostly just decision making.

The negatives I've read are slow feet (although this has apparently improved somewhat) and a slow mind. Mainly towards his net crashing tendencies. Which again I would say he's been forced into a role that isn't geared toward his actual play (instead geared towards his body) and the hockey IQ concerns could be alleviated by letting him play his game rather than a powerforward game.

Edit: An example of concerns I've read by Corey Pronman:
Tangradi is a skilled big man, who has shown some solid physical game value in terms of puck protection and some grit. The two main areas of his game that are issues have been his skating which has been an issue for many years and his ability to adjust to the pro level pace and make good decisions particularly in the NHL. Tangradi would regularly look quality in the AHL, standing out for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in a top role. However when he was brought up to the top level he was caught in a tweener role where he did not have the necessary qualities required of a defensive forward and he did not have enough talent to play on a scoring line considering the holes in his game.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'd love you to be right an me wrong ;)

Let's see what he'll do tonight.

I'm certainly looking forward to watch him play and I will keep an eye on him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd love you to be right an me wrong ;)

Let's see what he'll do tonight.

I'm certainly looking forward to watch him play and I will keep an eye on him.

Haha, I hope I'm right too. Truth be told I've been given a lot of confidence by Pens fans on the main board: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1349431&page=9

Posts like this:
Tangradi has talent and if he is brought along correctly, he could be a diamond in the rough.

[...]

Tangradi will never be anywhere close to an elite talent, but he can max out as a 20 goal, 30 assist guy. He isn't a natural goal scorer, so don't expect big totals there. He is more of a big bodied playmaker, but he wasn't allowed to play that game in Pgh. He was told to get to the net and be a straight line, gritty PF. That isn't his game and the Pens brass made a big mistake trying to force him to change his game.

Big body does not always equal PF.

My worry though is Noel still tries to do what Bylsma did and is going to try putting a square piece in a round hole.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, he'd never be as fast as Wheeler. In fact some players have stated Blake is the fastest player on the team. It's why I think him shedding a few pounds down to around 200lbs (where Wheeler is at) would be more beneficial to him. Wheeler however is a first line player and I see Tangradi as being a 3rd liner, with still some possible 2nd line upside. I don't think the lack of speed will be all that detrimental to him in that role.

It really seems like the Penguins were trying to force a square piece into a round hole. Trying to get Tangradi to put on weight and play a powerforward game, when that's not really the game Tangradi's brain is built for.

I hope we don't make the same mistake and instead allow Tangradi to play his own game and play to the best of his abilities.
Agree with the above, especially the bolded. The Jets need to give him TOI, at least 10 minutes or so a game, and let him regain confidence in his native ability. The 3rd line is a perfect place for him and Pitts is the perfect way to start.
I'm going to the game tonight and am pumped to see him play against his old team. I am not predicting big points but betcha he'll be noticed a hell of a lot more than Poni was these past few games.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Not bad but not good either.

6 GP 0 G 0 A -2

"non-factor"

... still: I think that the Poni/Tangradi swap makes sense for us in the long run.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Tangradi is... meh, for me. And we've got enough "non-factors" in this lineup. I think if we're going to be a playoff team, we need more from that 3rd line than Tangradi can offer or produce.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Watching him play it as actually quite shocking the Pens would have had him playing with Malkin. Peluso and Wright have both looked better, Wright significantly.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I like Tangradi more than Poni. He had a couple great chances over the last 2 games, he could easily be sitting with 2G right now.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Age and size makes him a great fit. His desire to prove himself with the oppurtunity the Jets are giving him is what the Jets need. He'll develop well for the 3rd line in due time.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I like Tangradi more than Poni. He had a couple great chances over the last 2 games, he could easily be sitting with 2G right now.

I agree with this, i thought he's been pretty good. Don't know if i'd say better then Poni, but he hasn't been bad. When he played with Joki and welwood i thought the line did a really good job of holidn ght epuck in the ozone and cycling it back to the D....unfortunately it seemed that it ALWAYS went to stuart, who's about as useless as **** on a turtle when it comes to blasting the puck from the point.

Follow that up with 2 great opportunities in which he was robbed and I didn't think he looked bad at all, but i will agree Wrights looked as good or better.

Both have looked pretty good defensively (wright, exceptionally) and both have been put in offensive situations but haven't produced, so who knows.

Our entire bottom six isn't producing and that's an issue.

i don't know how you could say peluso's looked better, hasn't he literally only been on the ice for less then 10 minutes so far?

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Watching him play it as actually quite shocking the Pens would have had him playing with Malkin. Peluso and Wright have both looked better, Wright significantly.

His experiment with Malkin only lasted 2 games. While hes good in front of the net he just doesn't have the speed for a top 9 role IMO. He will be at his best I think once he starts using his size more and being really physical in board battles and on the fore check.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Bump.

It looks like Tangradi's ice time has been cut back pretty drastically (I'm assuming he's a F/T 4th liner at this point) and he has yet to contribute offensively. How has he looked in that role?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
well to be honest, he's making whoever told chevy they should acquire him look bad.

hes had spurts where he's looked good and promising, but hey're too few and far between.

He was on a line at one point that looked promising, but they got broken up a little sooner then i'd hoped.

all in all...pretty ineffective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad