Post-Game Talk: Jets 7 - Avs 0, b2b Bagels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I think everyone has Helle as a virtual lock for the Vezina. The latest Athletic award predictions had 100% of those surveyed giving it to Hellebuyck.
Not Home Alone. She looks nothing like Macauley Kulkin.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Last night, a lot of people were talking about the Jets. (Too many people for a noise-averse little wallflower like me.) Someone pointed out that the odds are we'll face the Avalanche in the first round and the Stars in the second round, and we'd just shut out both teams in dominating victories in their own arenas. A loud voice said we shouldn't read too much into that and mansplained why it was meaningless.

Came home this afternoon thinking that we SHOULD read a lot into that. Two shutouts, in consecutive games, against the two most powerful teams in our path. That's far from meaningless. That's a pretty clear statement that we're ready and more than able to take on the best. We've got great coaches (YMMV) and players buying into the defence-first structure and guys not only trying at full speed but willing to lay down in front of shots (repeatedly) to prevent a goal when we're 7 ahead.

Reflecting on these past two games has put me in a great frame of mind (okay, laundry notwithstanding) that won't be ruined by reading how this or that player is horrible or NPC, or how the coaches are all idiots and rigid, or why Chevy is a moron.

And two powerplay goals to boot! Bring on the playoffs!
YMMV-You're mindset may vary?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Absolutely agree.
But - at the same time we should temper our euphoria a bit. We had a sh% of 27. A more reasonable and sustainable sh% of 15 and we win by 4-0. :laugh:

Avs are going to play us a lot tougher than that in the PO. I think we can count on that.

Yes, bring it on!
Honestly i get the temper the euphoria a bit comment but i say screw that, we have a very solid and very deep team with the best goaltending tandem in the NHL. Some teams would kill to have Brossoit as their starting goalie and he's our backup . If we play like Bowness wants us to we have a very good shot at going deep in the playoffs this season. Bring on the Whiteout .

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That was a fun game to watch. A lot of things went right for sure.

Something I've really liked in the last two games is the Jets more aggressive forecheck and better play in the neutral zone.

IMO getting depth scoring and being able to play all of our lines will be big for the Jets in the playoffs.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Saw this elsewhere but I am going to use it now

The Jets are 11-3-1 when Logan Stanley is in the lineup in their last 15 games, a 125 point pace over a full season. They are 8-7 in their last 15 games without him in the lineup or an 87 point pace over a full season.

The STANALYTICS DON'T LIE
19-5-3 with AJF in the lineup... let's make it happen!!! Bench Connor!!!

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

The Jets are 11-3-1 when Logan Stanley is in the lineup in their last 15 games, a 125 point pace over a full season. They are 8-7 in their last 15 games without him in the lineup or an 87 point pace over a full season.

If he can continue his play as of late, I’ll make sure I lather on the bbq for the huge piece of crow I’m eating.

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023

So your STANce is he better be in the lineup because he is peaking at the right time!

Reactions: Dirtbag151

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Deciding which good player to sit is such a better problem to have vs trying to decide which shitty player to play lol.

Which is what Colorado is going to have to do with their goalies
I complain about line combos because I want the Jets to win the cup...

But I'll never forget that Jim Slater was our go-to shutdown centre for many years.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I complain about line combos because I want the Jets to win the cup...

But I'll never forget that Jim Slater was our go-to shutdown centre for many years.
And Mark Stuart on the 2nd pair with Trouba as the shutdown pairing

And now people complain about a 40 goal scorer being on our top line and want to demote him to the 4th

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
And Mark Stuart on the 2nd pair with Trouba as the shutdown pairing

And now people complain about a 40 goal scorer being on our top line and want to demote him to the 4th
Can you imagine the behind the scenes shit in that room... Bones has it easy.

Like Trouba's dad making an app for his son.... and then getting the call 'yeah Im shutdown with Mark fkn Stuart'

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Its another case of finally finding a centre that works with Ehlers though... we re-sign Monahan, its a lot more likely Ehlers stays... if we don't, I'd walk because he's never playing with Scheif.

Monahan is probably going to be 5x6m though...
Do you think Monahan can command 5x 6 mil as a free agent ? I thought it would be in the range of $ 4.5 to 5 mil ? He was only making $ 2 mil with Montreal this year, as he wanted to prove to them he could stay injury free. One year he had a bad hip with Calgary I believe, and was out from a hip operation, and the next year, the same thing happened with the other hip, which he had operated on. Apparently from what I've read, he's been injury free for about 1.5 years, so maybe his operations were very successful. I know Tyler Myers had both hips operated on, and he was fine after that, and for quite some time now.

I like Monahan, and if the Jets have a great playoff run and he plays well, he probably could get $ 6 mil per year from some team. Do the Jets want to take that chance considering his past health issues ? If we knew he would stay healthy, I think $ 6 mil would be at the top end, but I'd like to see it come in at around $ 5mil. On the other hand you don't want to lose a guy you need as a top 2nd line center, buy trying to low ball him, as other clubs will be offering him better money.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Do you think Monahan can command 5x 6 mil as a free agent ? I thought it would be in the range of $ 4.5 to 5 mil ? He was only making $ 2 mil with Montreal this year, as he wanted to prove to them he could stay injury free. One year he had a bad hip with Calgary I believe, and was out from a hip operation, and the next year, the same thing happened with the other hip, which he had operated on. Apparently from what I've read, he's been injury free for about 1.5 years, so maybe his operations were very successful. I know Tyler Myers had both hips operated on, and he was fine after that, and for quite some time now.

I like Monahan, and if the Jets have a great playoff run and he plays well, he probably could get $ 6 mil per year from some team. Do the Jets want to take that chance considering his past health issues ? If we knew he would stay healthy, I think $ 6 mil would be at the top end, but I'd like to see it come in at around $ 5mil. On the other hand you don't want to lose a guy you need as a top 2nd line center, buy trying to low ball him, as other clubs will be offering him better money.
I still have PTSD from letting Stastny go after our playoff run... so I'd pay him whatever he wants really - Chevy has a history of getting value signings though

Its the same story for Vilardi and Monahan - two injury-prone guys that you basically have to take a chance on... our PP1 sucks without both of them and Monahan is the only consistent FO guy.

Overpay now to keep the window open - can't see him going for 4.5 since Nino is getting that on 3rd line wing... 2C is worth $6 to start I'd think. Cirelli is probably a good comparable

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I still have PTSD from letting Stastny go after our playoff run... so I'd pay him whatever he wants really - Chevy has a history of getting value signings though

Its the same story for Vilardi and Monahan - two injury-prone guys that you basically have to take a chance on... our PP1 sucks without both of them and Monahan is the only consistent FO guy.

Overpay now to keep the window open - can't see him going for 4.5 since Nino is getting that on 3rd line wing... 2C is worth $6 to start I'd think. Cirelli is probably a good comparable
You could very well be right ? I really don't know. You are certainly right that both Villardi and Monahan are very injury prone players, and if I was the owner, I'd be very nervous about 2 big long term commitments. That's the game of hockey tho -- no guarantees. It will be very interesting to see how all these contracts play out.

Reactions: Dirtbag151

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021
Monahan is 29. be 30 this year ..He's going to want to get paid as the kids say . But he's at that age where this could be his last contract..He might prefer term over high dollars ..that's where it gets sketchy for the Jets! ...could pay him on a reducing contract over 6 years or something along those lines (6m next year then 1.5m last year ) who knows but he already fits in the system and has looked pretty good for us so far

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad