Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Islanders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
29-10-4 at the allstar break, tied for 1st overall in the entire NHL with 1 game in hand on Vancouver, man is this a GREAT SEASON so far.:nod: There are going to be teams that don't get to 29 wins all season . We aren't winning solely on the back of Helly, we aren't winning because of a brilliant PP that we would be hooped if you play a game without getting a bunch of PP's . We are winning by playing a all around great game of hockey and i LOVE it. Just had to get that off my chest now lets have a nice little break here boys, recharge the batteries and finish 1st overall and continue the Fantastic Voyage that we are on this Saturday.:nod: Now we boogie-woogie.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I frickin love the plane team

Spare_Squadron_Formation (1).jpg

"Stick with Bowness, and you'll make it"

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Just curious as to opinions here...

Bowness said he's given the team "two days off". I'm wondering what the players do when they have time off. Do they fall face down on the bed and not move for two days (which would be my choice) or do they pursue normal life with a gf or wife or go ice fishing or what? Is this when they get the car serviced or take the kids tobogganing? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Also, when you get two days off, does that mean you don't have to do promo videos or photos, attend events at the request of the team, visit hospitals, etc.?

Reactions: Stumbledore

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Bowness said he's given the team "two days off". I'm wondering what the players do when they have time off. Do they fall face down on the bed and not move for two days (which would be my choice) or do they pursue normal life with a gf or wife or go ice fishing or what? Is this when they get the car serviced or take the kids tobogganing? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Also, when you get two days off, does that mean you don't have to do promo videos or photos, attend events at the request of the team, visit hospitals, etc.?
I am guessing Helle and Iafallo and maybe Sammy are out ice fishing.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I'd expect each player has their own version of decompressing. I had a job where I worked about 15 hours a day for 3 months straight and the very rare time I got a day off I'd get a hotel room and not leave the bed. When it ended I'd always need about 2 weeks of doing nothing before reintegrating into society :laugh:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'd expect each player has their own version of decompressing. I had a job where I worked about 15 hours a day for 3 months straight and the very rare time I got a day off I'd get a hotel room and not leave the bed. When it ended I'd always need about 2 weeks of doing nothing before reintegrating into society :laugh:
Usually when you hear "get a hotel room and not leave the bed" it's in a different context.

Working 15 hours a day is beyond the comprehension of someone who whined when her 4 hours shifts were occasionally increased to 6 hours. Of course, I did mine in heels...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Usually when you hear "get a hotel room and not leave the bed" it's in a different context.

Working 15 hours a day is beyond the comprehension of someone who whined when her 4 hours shifts were occasionally increased to 6 hours. Of course, I did mine in heels...
I did mine outdoors while living in a tent :laugh:
It was rough, but paid my way through 10 years of university.

Reactions: Inanna and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

There was a short period around 19 years of age when I was completely insane.

Had three jobs, two of them part time. One in the restaurant industry, one at Carling O'Keefe (one of the three big Canadian brewers during the Cretaceous period) and one at a local tennis club doing court maintenance.

My evening shift at the brewery started at 10:00 P.M. It finished at 6:30 A.M. 8 hours of pay, half hour for "lunch.

My day shift at the tennis club started at 6:00 A.M., I got there about 6:46 A.M., still before anyone else's start time except the guys on the golf course and they didn't rat me out.
That shift ran until 3:00. 8.5 hours, half hour for lunch.

Went home, showered and drove to the restaurant for a 4:00 P.M.. to a 1:30 A.M. shift. No breaks paid (there really were no breaks at the time, we were so busy), so 9.5 hour shift.

Time elapsed: 27.5 hours.
Time paid: 26 hours. I did functionally "steal" 47 minutes of pay from one employer.

Next shift was 6:00 A.M. at the tennis club in the morning but that glorious break in between was fabulous. I probably got about two hours of solid sleep (too wired to fall asleep when I got home).

I eventually quit the job at the brewery (too depressing in spite of ridiculous pay) and went down to a full time and part time job over the summer. Quite a few times when I had the evening shift at the tennis club but was actually at the restaurant working. I had to go back to the club at 2:00 in the morning to finish up my court maintenance and cleaning duties.

None of this was in heels of course. I do have great legs, but back in the day it wasn't really acceptable like it is now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
There was a short period around 19 years of age when I was completely insane.

Had three jobs, two of them part time. One in the restaurant industry, one at Carling O'Keefe (one of the three big Canadian brewers during the Cretaceous period) and one at a local tennis club doing court maintenance.

My evening shift at the brewery started at 10:00 P.M. It finished at 6:30 A.M. 8 hours of pay, half hour for "lunch.

My day shift at the tennis club started at 6:00 A.M., I got there about 6:46 A.M., still before anyone else's start time except the guys on the golf course and they didn't rat me out.
That shift ran until 3:00. 8.5 hours, half hour for lunch.

Went home, showered and drove to the restaurant for a 4:00 P.M.. to a 1:30 A.M. shift. No breaks paid (there really were no breaks at the time, we were so busy), so 9.5 hour shift.

Time elapsed: 27.5 hours.
Time paid: 26 hours. I did functionally "steal" 47 minutes of pay from one employer.

Next shift was 6:00 A.M. at the tennis club in the morning but that glorious break in between was fabulous. I probably got about two hours of solid sleep (too wired to fall asleep when I got home).

I eventually quit the job at the brewery (too depressing in spite of ridiculous pay) and went down to a full time and part time job over the summer. Quite a few times when I had the evening shift at the tennis club but was actually at the restaurant working. I had to go back to the club at 2:00 in the morning to finish up my court maintenance and cleaning duties.

None of this was in heels of course. I do have great legs, but back in the day it wasn't really acceptable like it is now.
I had a summer when i was 18 where I worked 5:00am to 1:00pm in a warehouse M-F and 2:00pm to 10:00pm cleaning golf clubs Tues - Sat

I think I saved almost every penny I made that summer because I didn't have any time or energy to blow any of the money I made lol

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had a summer when i was 18 where I worked 5:00am to 1:00pm in a warehouse M-F and 2:00pm to 10:00pm cleaning golf clubs Tues - Sat

I think I saved almost every penny I made that summer because I didn't have any time or energy to blow any of the money I made lol
Now i know who to come to for cleaning my clubs this year. :naughty::laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I spent a summer working a 9-5 office-ish Job as a summer student, and then I worked weekend closing shifts at a Robin's - it was many, many days without any time off, I would not recommend - I took one weekend off in four months, and I spent it going to a wedding in Toronto, which was fun at least.

Although I was very popular at the office, because I could bring a dozen donuts from the Sunday to work every Monday.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Ahh the days when you drank the night before, had 3 hours of sleep and still showed up to work on time for 8 hours and did it again the following night.

Like a lot of people here, when I was 21 I had 4 Jobs at once. Worked full time at the CRA, part time I was a lending associate at one of those predatory loan companies (Trans Canada Credit),detailed cars for National car rental and a cashier at Danier Leather. I had one day off in 7 months. To be young again.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Guys, I loved your replies, even if they all underlined what a wimp I was in the labour force. This place continues to entertain and fascinate me. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Every job has its unique set of challenges. I was much happier doing that job than I ever was at any other.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Guys, I loved your replies, even if they all underlined what a wimp I was in the labour force. This place continues to entertain and fascinate me. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Didnt mean to disparage your work life. School and work was tough on me. After I got my business degree I was running around aimlessly. Took me 16 years to finally figure out I wanted to be in the family business, something I was avoiding most of my early adult life.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

As to the bolded part I would imagine that any of those would be scheduled a fair bit in advance( I could be wrong) and while one of the two days Thursday or Friday would have been a designated day off in accordance with NHLPA guidelines the 2nd of these days was something Bowness (likely in conjunction with Chevy & Chipman) was in response to the grueling schedule the players have had lately. So if something had been organized then said player or players would honor the commitment regardless of "the day off".

I would imagine those with families will spend as much time with them doing the normal day to day stuff families do while getting as much rest as possible, seeing as how the Jets will be away for close to week once they get back to "work",

The single guys are doing whatever it is singles guys do, some maybe having a drink at your work establishment hoping to see Stumbledore mooning over you :D.

I'm willing to bet that many of the guys found time to lace up the skates for an hour or so whether at canada Life Center if that's allowed under the CBA or at some private location. Don't know if he still does it but it seems to me I recollect that 55when he was younger found every chance he could get to get on the ice and hone his craft. Ehlers might have spent his whole time playing Fortnite. Didn't Laine used to spend every waking second not on the ice playing Fortnite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad