Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Islanders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
perfetti and ehlers are both dealing with injuries right now

Sure but Bones has kept Cole on the bench the last 5 minutes in the vast majority of games we are leading so no change there. He has stated he wants size for board battles late.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Glad that others caught Kupari's strong play tonight in his 2nd game back after injury

He hasn't shown much (anything?) in terms of finishing this season but he has all the tools

Kid is still only 23. At the very least, he's a solid bottom six guy
Can't remember who wrote the article, think it was WFP, but apparently Kupari was a huge sticking point in the Dubois trade and Chevy wouldn't go ahead if he wasn't a part of it, so clearly he sees something he really likes there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
well it works...

To date sure. As I said I don't agree but am not complaining much. Also Cole seems to take shorter shifts which impacts his minutes. He had 20 shifts today which is around what KC had. He just doesn't extend like KC and Mark.

Reactions: hn777

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The difference to me is the forecheck and pressure all over the ice. I dunno if it's coaching or what, but it's insane how quickly the jets are closing gaps this year.

For those of us that play hockey you know the feeling when you receive a pass and before you even have a chance to look around there's a f***ing guy in your face checking you. So hard to play against.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't remember who wrote the article, think it was WFP, but apparently Kupari was a huge sticking point in the Dubois trade and Chevy wouldn't go ahead if he wasn't a part of it, so clearly he sees something he really likes there.

If his decision making was a bit better he'd be a real impact player. He's a bit like Lambert hopefully they have him in a similar plan.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The difference to me is the forecheck and pressure all over the ice. I dunno if it's coaching or what, but it's insane how quickly the jets are closing gaps this year.

For those of us that play hockey you know the feeling when you receive a pass and before you even have a chance to look around there's a f***ing guy in your face checking you. So hard to play against.

The defense and forwards can be super aggressive in the neutral zone, because they know the third forward is gonna bust his ass to cover him.

No chance Wheeler or Dubios is gonna screw them.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The defense and forwards can be super aggressive in the neutral zone, because they know the third forward is gonna bust his ass to cover him.

I think Ehlers deserves a lot of praise here. He's regularly the forward back covering for the defenseman stepping up. He might not be the best defender but he's saved us from a ton of odd man rushes against. Today he was the last man back on 2 shorthanded attempts against.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think Ehlers deserves a lot of praise here. He's regularly the forward back covering for the defenseman stepping up. He might not be the best defender but he's saved us from a ton of odd man rushes against. Today he was the last man back on 2 shorthanded attempts against.

Ehlers plays with a certain level of desperation in his game on the defensive end that is what I like about him over Connor or Dubois.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Ehlers plays with a certain level of desperation in his game on the defensive end that is what I like about him over Connor or Dubois.
Yeah, he's not great at it, but the effort is usually there and just having that extra body back limits what the opposing team can do a ton. I do feel like Connor's been doing a lot better in that regard this season though.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Chevy is such a goddamn pitbull on those eleventh hour concessions, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he made Blake foot the bill for beers that night too.

As I regaled in the past, I literally had food-drop-out jaw-wide-open moment of shock when I saw some of the backchecking from our offensive forwards. This team is all in to win, and no one can deny that.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Chevy is such a goddamn pitbull on those eleventh hour concessions, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he made Blake foot the bill for beers that night too.

As I regaled in the past, I literally had food-drop-out jaw-wide-open moment of shock when I saw some of the backchecking from our offensive forwards. This team is all in to win, and no one can deny that.
I really appreciate how he operates. He doesn't really make moves for the sake of making moves, if he doesn't think he's getting fair value he waits until he gets it. Jets had their backs to the wall so many times with Trouba, Laine, Dubois wanting out and he's always returned more than I expected.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lots of players stood out tonight but none as tall as Helle. No Helle, no W.
I thought Kup, Schmidt, Names, Iafallo, DeMelo and JMo all had strong games.

I don't want to bitch with the way the team is playing, but why isn't Sammy played more? Tonight, I thought Pionk/Dilly were a bit off and Sammy/Schmidt could have seen more time. I do love the way Dilly keeps the front of the net clear though.
Would Chevy/Bones give Dilly an "A" if they weren't going to re-sign him?

DeMelo has changed my mind and he is going to get more than the 4m I predicted earlier. Cool as a cucumber and doesn't make many mistakes with the puck. Just a really good partner for JMo. Chevy should see if anyone would take a 2nd for Schmidt this summer. If Heinola replaces him, that should be over 4m in savings.

Names is a steal at 2m.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I really appreciate how he operates. He doesn't really make moves for the sake of making moves, if he doesn't think he's getting fair value he waits until he gets it. Jets had their backs to the wall so many times with Trouba, Laine, Dubois wanting out and he's always returned more than I expected.

I once described him as the work buddy who shows up at your Friday night poker game every week, but never plays -- he just sits, hangs out, and chats, until one Friday, he sits down and bought in with two mobster rolls of hundreds for a game most people bring $40 to.

And yet sure as the sunrise, there was Darcy Reghier thinking "Oh I just can't WAIT to get into a big pot with this guy!" which is basically how we unloaded Kane.. and so it went.

Chevy is never desperate. He will never willingly eat the bad end of a deal just to 'make a move, for move-ness' sake" When push came to shove, he raided the waiver wire for scraps.

And now, with that brown hair turned grey, and that toothy shit-eating grin getting a bit more snaggly, he nevertheless is the one I feel most happy for. He, more than anyone, staked it all on our chances this year; prospects that I really don't think any of us held hope in.

Back to winning ways!

AH Apples finally scores

solid D and netminding

sad part, only 12600 for a first place team

"Oh, is sip posting?"

Just kidding, Sarge; glad to see you back, and yes, I'm glad to see Apples finally get one. By, uh, whatever means necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad