Post-Game Talk: Jets 3, Sabres 4 - The collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I have refrained from making any comment on "the hit" until now,because I have been too filled with emotion. My thoughts are:

(1) McCabe has shown in his early career that he has no respect for other player safety, and in fact, prides himself on seeking out "predatory hits" that create maximum damage and pain. He uses a technique whereby he simply watches for the target to be in a compromising spot, awaiting a pass, and then approaches aggressively hoping to time the hit with the arrival of the puck. Planned, anticipatory, and very impactful. Certainly not illegal but an approach that most players and the League do not find favor with. Since the League is literally helpless to stop these "predatory hits", things will change only when McCabe himself finds that he has become the target and gains some first-hand respect for the real consequences of such hits.

(2) Almost everyone (including Maurice) has jumped to the conclusion that there was nothing technically wrong or illegal with the actual contact itself. Everyone is satisfied that McCabe`s skates are still at least arguably on the ice at impact- therefore no foul. If you watch carefully however McCabe uses a unique hitting style as well -generally lowering his body mass slightly by flexing his knees, then literally thrusting himself forward and upward by staightening his legs, facing squarely towards the target. The raised arms/shoulders usually deliver the blow so generated but the helmeted head also can, as in this unfortunate case, make contact as well. The Dept, of Safety should, in my opinion, look at this as exactly the same as visibly having one`s skates leave the ice surface.

I suspect however that there will be no review and of course young McCabe will continue with his bragging in his pressers and will continue to seek predatory hits (until he has his own come-to-Jesus moment). [mod]

I agree 100%. Everyone saying he should keep his head up has no idea. This was a hunting type hit, as you said, anticipating before the player gets the puck. It's absolutely how you hurt someone. He was waiting to the side, looking for the hit. Many players have spoken out about these types of hits.

And to your point, here is another McCabe hit, driving his head into another guys head, knocking him out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeblqxNrcWk

and another:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBe-_vXuKmQ

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree 100%. Everyone saying he should keep his head up has no idea. This was a hunting type hit, as you said, anticipating before the player gets the puck. It's absolutely how you hurt someone. He was waiting to the side, looking for the hit. Many players have spoken out about these types of hits.

And to your point, here is another McCabe hit, driving his head into another guys head, knocking him out.

First hit is very similar to the hit on Laine. It's "legal" but predatory, in that it's meant to hurt and intimidate. It's part of the game, but he'll have a reputation for this so players better be careful, and he should definitely receive special physical attention to let him know that your team isn't going to take his physical play lightly.

Maybe the gash below his eye will make him less likely to lead hits with his head.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Lenient schedule? They play in the Met. The toughest Division. In fact, you just reminded me of one of the other lame excuses of a couple years ago - that we played in the Central which was the toughest division. So thats why we sucked. Now the Central is weak so I guess the excuse shifts to distance of travel - so why have a team in the Peg. The Peg isnt going to move.

Hiya Jetfaninflorida,

Sorry for using your post as a jumping off point for a mini-rant. I enjoy your other posts, but you just hit a nerve, sort of a straw that broke the camels back sort of thing.

Ok, enough with the posts slamming "lame excuses". It is seriously annoying the crap out of me. When the Jets suck, folks around here like to discuss why. It's why discussion boards like this exist.

When we talk about the team being young, or talk about the schedule being hard, or talk about injuries, or talk about underperforming players, we're trying to figure out the reasons for the team's problems. We're not trying to excuse it. We just want to discuss why we are where we are. The reasons for it.

If you disagree with a particular reason, great! Chime in. Tell us what you think the actual reasons are.

If you do not want to discuss this, then please start a thread titled "The Jets Suck". You can post in this thread. The content of your posts can be "Yes, the Jets suck". Other like-minded posters can chime in, "Hey, I think the Jets suck too!" Enlightening stuff.

Others of us want to figure out why they suck. Why they aren't winning. We do want the team to win as much as you. We are not making excuses.

Discussing how much the schedule, or youth, or injuries play a role in the Jets' current woes is important. If it was a complete non-factor, then obviously the problems fall more on coaching, or management, or the players, or whatever else. And we should all clamor together to change those things. Blow everything up. Fire everybody.

If, on the other hand, these are significant factors, then maybe we can more accurately recognize what is good on the team, and what needs changing. Maybe we need patience. Or maybe we do need some change. But discussing what factors into the Jets' current record of losses is critical in establishing this.

This goes equally for Maurice in interviews. The dude has to stand up there before reporters every other day. He simply cannot say "We lost because we suck." He too, like many of us, has to offer some theories what went wrong in a game. If he sees his players are dead tired, and skating in molasses, it's fine to observe the schedule has been tough. It's a real factor. If you think the hardest 30 game schedule in NHL history will not impact a team's performance [...]. If you want Maurice to ignore all factors (or "excuses" as some call them) during his interviews, what the **** is he supposed to say? "We lost. We're going to practice. We'll try to win next time." That's stupid. I'll take an actual analysis of the game, thanks.

/rant off

Last edited by a moderator:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Excuses are for losers.
Sure you can use it one or twice but we are half way through the season stop with the excuses.
This team is under performing ... who knows maybe its planned. One more lottery pick and sign a vet goalie ... the Jets are set.
IMO its the coaching from special teams to the head coach. I understand everybody has a bad game or bad streak, bad luck whatever but to play 2 good games and play like crap for the next 3 games or 2 periods you look great and than stink the joint out and lose on 1 bad period time after time it has to be how they are coached.
You can't fired the whole team ... it starts with the coach.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
First hit is very similar to the hit on Laine. It's "legal" but predatory, in that it's meant to hurt and intimidate. It's part of the game, but he'll have a reputation for this so players better be careful, and he should definitely receive special physical attention to let him know that your team isn't going to take his physical play lightly.

Maybe the gash below his eye will make him less likely to lead hits with his head.

I mentioned the hit on Paille by McCabe in response to a poster who said that he was not that kind of player a page or two ago, interesting enough that hit earned him a 5 minute major for interference.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Who taught this clown how to hit? :shakehead

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Who taught this clown how to hit? :shakehead:

Oh this is rich. Coming from Jets fans, who's team employs one of the most predatory hitters in the league. There is nothing dirty about McCabe's hits, those players leaned in with their head, or didn't pay attention.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Who taught this clown how to hit? :shakehead:

I have no issue with the hits. He tries to lay big hits, and I do think he tries to hurt guys and is proud when he does. Just watch his post game interview, nothing about hoping Laine is ok, just pumped about his hit that knocked a guy out. Hes nothing more then a punk

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Excuses are for losers.
Sure you can use it one or twice but we are half way through the season stop with the excuses.
This team is under performing ... who knows maybe its planned. One more lottery pick and sign a vet goalie ... the Jets are set.
IMO its the coaching from special teams to the head coach. I understand everybody has a bad game or bad streak, bad luck whatever but to play 2 good games and play like crap for the next 3 games or 2 periods you look great and than stink the joint out and lose on 1 bad period time after time it has to be how they are coached.
You can't fired the whole team ... it starts with the coach.

It's like Puckatron's post went straight over your head...

EhlersPLDConnor

Mar 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I have no issue with the hits. He tries to lay big hits, and I do think he tries to hurt guys and is proud when he does. Just watch his post game interview, nothing about hoping Laine is ok, just pumped about his hit that knocked a guy out. Hes nothing more then a punk

Trouba should knock a few of McCabe's teeth out tbh :rant: . Pretty sure they're friends back in USNTDP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Laine injury really has had me in a bad mood all weekend. I don't even wanna watch or think about hockey anymore :(

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Lenient schedule? They play in the Met. The toughest Division. In fact, you just reminded me of one of the other lame excuses of a couple years ago - that we played in the Central which was the toughest division. So thats why we sucked. Now the Central is weak so I guess the excuse shifts to distance of travel - so why have a team in the Peg. The Peg isnt going to move.

Goaltending. I agree it has been an issue. So then do something about goal tending. Its time for this organiaztion to take steps to resolve issues rather than adopt excuses or mediocrity. And fams should do the same. Thats the bigger picture point here. I am so tired of excuses. Do something to resolve resolvable issues.

Yes, lenient schedule as in less games in a less condeneed manner probably resulting in less injuries and less man games lost with a less total cap hit of the players lost.

Loosing Matthias/Armia/Little/MP and being without Trouba is a pretty savage blow. Never mind all the other guys that have missed games including Myers/Toby/Chef/Dano/Petan

Being around 500 with that string of players out and one of the most condensed schedules in hockey history is acceptable for me. Throw in outright bad goaltending and I'm going to be a bit lenient in my overall critique on the team and management.

Maybe we should have done something about the goaltending. I'm content however letting one of the highest ranked goalie prospects coming into the league who sported a record breaking sv% in the NCAA and faired pretty well in the AHL to continue to learn the NHL game and work through a rough transition period. If he doesn't work out we also happen to have one of the other highest ranked goalie prospects playing in the AHL right now.

Personally I'm okay with where we are in most facets of the overall organization. I'd be happy if we picked up a decent veteran goalie from someone looking to shed a goalie before the expansion draft too. Won't want to fire everyone if we don't though considering Helle/Comrie.

If we don't find a real 3rd pair LHD before next season my patience will start to get tested. If we aren't easily in a playoff spot this time next year I'd probably be looking hard at getting rid of PoMo. If we aren't in a playoff spot this time 2 years from now it time to move on from Chevy.

That's my timeline.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Oh this is rich. Coming from Jets fans, who's team employs one of the most predatory hitters in the league. There is nothing dirty about McCabe's hits, those players leaned in with their head, or didn't pay attention.

The post I quoted showed two others where he hits the other player in the head with his own head.

How do you teach hitting? Is it to lead with your own face? :facepalm:

(Thanks for the self-righteousness, though. Show me what I've ever written about Byfuglien's hits. I'll wait...)

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

wow. he sure has bad luck with those unfortunate and accidental hits to the head :shakehead

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
wow. he sure has bad luck with those unfortunate and accidental hits to the head :shakehead
McCabe is probably concussed from the hit as well but is such a cement head he doesn't even realize it . Who hurts a player and brags about it after ? I've NEVER seen or heard Buff do this and he has made some of the best hits ever . Can't wait till we play Buffalo here next season , that's if this meat head is still in the NHL by then . :rant:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Excellent posts. Agree 100%, whether the player is Laine, or anyone else.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
The Laine injury really has had me in a bad mood all weekend. I don't even wanna watch or think about hockey anymore :(

I am almost 100% sure it won't, but I am concern if this hit has some long term consequences. I am still angry about almost non respond for the hit. Laine has awaken my amazement for potential of 18 year old player more than Crosby did, more than Jagr did as 19 year old. Only two who I have been more amazed at that age have been Eric Lindros and Connor McDavid. Its clean hit but it makes me sick also.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
McCabe is probably concussed from the hit as well but is such a cement head he doesn't even realize it . Who hurts a player and brags about it after ? I've NEVER seen or heard Buff do this and he has made some of the best hits ever . Can't wait till we play Buffalo here next season , that's if this meat head is still in the NHL by then . :rant:

LOL, yes he seemed to take particular delight in that. (Mcsorley)

And as for the Buffalo fans cheering all the way thru (if they did) F$%^ them! That's Philly-level shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad