Post-Game Talk: Jets 3, Sabres 4 - The collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Actually the Blue Jackets are a great example of how quickly fortunes can change for a very young team as they start to gain experience. Last year they were a complete mess and last in their division. This season the are cruising along in 1st. Last season they were a very bad team. The same players a year older this season are a very good team.

The Jets were very young twi years ago as well. We havent shown a step forward yet.

Blue Jackets are younger than the Jets

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You said they were a mess all year. They were a mess for 2 weeks. They were good for 5.5 months. [mod]

Thanks for the advice but but no one on a fan forum needs to do anything other then respond respectfully to others. I like the young talent we have accumulated and expect it to breakout by next season. Not much different then the Blue Jackets did this season. And if the Jets were a mess last season (which they were) so was any team that finished below them no matter what their start. Eventually Chevy will be judged by his employer if he has succeeded or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
They are not a poor team and their young players are doing well considering. They flashed a stat during the intermission that was interesting - top scoring "under 23" line in the league - think about where this line will be in a year or 2. The facts are not excuses - this team is young and you need to be patient with them as they develop. That won't stop many from blaming the coach, goalie, or individuals when they lose - but they will lose as they learn. This ownership group knows that and have been very clear in communicating the youth movement and the rebuild. As for this coaching staff, they will be spending the better part of their time developing the players at a reasonable pace - what's reasonable you ask? 2 or 3 years IMO which is shared by ownership and management. The pcs are now in place (for the most part) and now they need to develop - they're still a blast to watch regardless of the win/loss record.

We are a poor team. Look at the standings. Hopefully our second half is better but until it is, it isn't.

The young thing as an excuse again. Just because you are young doesnt mean you have to be a poor team. Blue Jackets example. There are others. We need to expect more in my opinion.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets were very young twi years ago as well. We havent shown a step forward yet.

Blue Jackets are younger than the Jets

By a touch, but both are in the bottom 20%. And the Jets will soon need to take a step forward as well. A good stating point might be better coaching and a goalie with a .930 SV%. Though I'd settle for something closer to .920.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
By a touch, but both are in the bottom 20%. And the Jets will soon need to take a step forward as well. A good stating point might be better coaching and a goalie with a .930 SV%. Though I'd settle for something closer to .920.

Agree with you on coaching. Its time. Its actually way overdue. Doesnt even have to be Maurice yet. But GT coach, special teams coaching and for Mo to expect less stupid penalties.

I dont see .920 goaltender in our near future. Id settle for .915 the rest of this year as hopeful but with a chance.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't look now but our power play has crawled into 18th in the league... led mainly by the vet unit everyone hates so much.

Oh and the penalty Killing has been improving as well albeit slightly.

Funny how that seems to coincide with the team getting healthy and having time to practice.

And can we please stop with the Columbus comparison's? The only thing these 2 teams have in common this season is youth. Columbus hasn't had nearly the injuries or the schedule the jets have. If the Jets got Bob or Dubnyk level goaltending PoMo would be the frontrunner for the Jack Adams.

If you think PoMo is a dinosaur just remember Torts played Buff at wing in the WC.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We're younger now than last year.

We were younger last year than the year before.

We've gotten younger 2 straight years since our playoff exit.

Doesn't mean the youth you are infusing will ever be nhl calibre. Every 1st rounder we added should have been added every one else not drafted in 1st round should not have been added to roster. But the belief is as long as we play them they will turn into nhlers because well they just have too.

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
[mod]
This is a ridiculous notion.
Great open ice hit nothing more nothing less.
Has the league assessed a suspension ?
Laine will bounce back lesson hopefully learned.
[mod]

Agree 100%. someone who has coach in the NHL for years, players currently playing and past players on TV see it as a perfectly good hit, apparently none of them know anything about hockey. Us older fans remember a when an open hit creamed a star player, while his bench boss was p****** with the hit there was no retaliation because it was seen as a good hit. check it out, Bill Mcreary jr. crunching WAyne Gretsky.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't mean the youth you are infusing will ever be nhl calibre. Every 1st rounder we added should have been added every one else not drafted in 1st round should not have been added to roster. But the belief is as long as we play them they will turn into nhlers because well they just have too.

So lets go through the roster. The following are players 18-23 y/o that have had at least some time with the Jets this season:

Scheifele
Lowry
Laine
Armia
Dano
Copp
Ehlers
Petan
Trouba
Morrissey
Helly
Connor

Which of those don't you consider to be NHL caliber?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Hitting 6 consecutive first rounders is pretty good. 7 with roslovic having one of the best AHL seasons by a 19 year old in the history of the league. Stanley is probably the most likely to miss.

Oh and Petan/Hellebyuck/Comrie/Lowry all say hi.

Copp is fringe at best right now.

Spacek, Poolman, Niku, Harkins and Foley all look to have a shot.

Plus we've added Dano, Armia Lemieux all players drafted after we got the team and 23 or under.

That's a pretty decent crop of youth with some pretty interesting ceilings

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
And can we please stop with the Columbus comparison's?

It's one example to show that you don't have to be a poor team just because you are a young team. I'll stop comparing us to other young teams that are good, when people stop saying that we aren't good because we are young.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So lets go through the roster. The following are players 18-23 y/o that have had at least some time with the Jets this season:

Scheifele
Lowry
Laine
Armia
Dano
Copp
Ehlers
Petan
Trouba
Morrissey
Helly
Connor

Which of those don't you consider to be NHL caliber?

As of today dano tanev copp petan. And helle is not ready for the minutes he gets. Playing them to death in the nhl doesn't guarantee they will be nhlers in a few years. But we need to believe that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As of today dano tanev copp petan. And helle is not ready for the minutes he gets. Playing them to death in the nhl doesn't guarantee they will be nhlers in a few years. But we need to believe that.

Petan in a limited role is on pace for almost 40 points and is sporting a real nice corsi of 53%. That looks pretty NHL calibre to me. I'll give you Copp is a fringe guy but by and large the youth that is playing is ready.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
It's one example to show that you don't have to be a poor team just because you are a young team. I'll stop comparing us to other young teams that are good, when people stop saying that we aren't good because we are young.

Okay. Compare them but put Bobs .930 save percentage and 73% quality start rating on the Jets.

Bet we are a playoff team.

Columbus has had a lenient schedule, less injuries and top of the league goaltending.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Petan in a limited role is on pace for almost 40 points and is sporting a real nice corsi of 53%. That looks pretty NHL calibre to me. I'll give you Copp is a fringe guy but by and large the youth that is playing is ready.

Petan has 4 points in 21 games and only 1 goal 5vs5. Thorburn who has probably played less games has 3 goals. That to me isn't nhl calabre. Hell copp has 4 goals.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Petan has 4 points in 21 games and only 1 goal 5vs5. Thorburn who has probably played less games has 3 goals. That to me isn't nhl calabre. Hell copp has 4 goals.

He has 9 points not 4 and is widely known as predominantly a playmaker not a goal scorer.

Thor has 3 goals and points in 29 games.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Put petan up with scheif line over staff, and you'll see what a guy with his talents can do.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I am as gutted by this loss as anyone.

But to those saying youth is not and "excuse" and pointing to the Blue Jackets, firstly I would disagree that Torts is much better than Maurice. He was a trainwreck in Vancouver. Secondly, if the Jets had Bobrovski's .930 goaltending we'd probably have a 15 game win-streak too.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He has 9 points not 4 and is widely known as predominantly a playmaker not a goal scorer.

Thor has 3 goals and points in 29 games.

He only has 4 points 5 on 5 in 21 games the other 5 points he got on pp. If connor had stuck petan would have gotten no pp time at all. Mo won't even play him 3 on 3. At his size and being drafted in 2nd round there is no sin in breaking in at 23 or 24.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

Pretty sure he's hit 3 crossbars in the last 2 games as well.

Petan's been good. Would rather not see Thor anymore, I'm done with him.

People always call into 1290 during the post game show asking for Pav and Peluso back. NO THANKS is all I have to say to that. Doubt I'd watch a game with Pav starting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He only has 4 points 5 on 5 in 21 games the other 5 points he got on pp. If connor had stuck petan would have gotten no pp time at all. Mo won't even play him 3 on 3. At his size and being drafted in 2nd round there is no sin in breaking in at 23 or 24.

No there is no shame in that as there is no shame in him being on the big club contributing which is what he's doing. The team is healthy and Petan is still getting pp time so he's won a role there. He's also pushing the play in ES situations so he's good there. He's NHL ready and given our forward depth will have to push a pretty solid player out of a higher spot. He'd have to do that regardless of where he played. I'm not sure how Connor is relevant now, he wasn't ready on a number of fronts and got sent down.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Okay. Compare them but put Bobs .930 save percentage and 73% quality start rating on the Jets.

Bet we are a playoff team.

Columbus has had a lenient schedule, less injuries and top of the league goaltending.

Lenient schedule? They play in the Met. The toughest Division. In fact, you just reminded me of one of the other lame excuses of a couple years ago - that we played in the Central which was the toughest division. So thats why we sucked. Now the Central is weak so I guess the excuse shifts to distance of travel - so why have a team in the Peg. The Peg isnt going to move.

Goaltending. I agree it has been an issue. So then do something about goal tending. Its time for this organiaztion to take steps to resolve issues rather than adopt excuses or mediocrity. And fams should do the same. Thats the bigger picture point here. I am so tired of excuses. Do something to resolve resolvable issues.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Corsica has the Jets' 5v5 xGF% at 53.9% over the last 25 games. Maurice has them rolling at 5v5.

He's been mentioning that.... he's been happy with their game at 5v5 recently. He still obviously thinks that the special teams need improvement, and then there's the inconsistent goaltending....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad