Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Pens 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I'm not gonna be the guy defending Stanley to the death here. He's clearly not one of our best defensemen. I'm only pushing back on what I consider irrational hatred of a player. The tone around him is toxic and I don't understand why. He had two penalties yesterday, but both of them were at least semi-BS. Otherwise he played an unremarkable game. There were like 15 Jets yesterday who played unremarkable games so I don't see why the talk has to focus on one guy.
If he knew how to take a pass, the score would have been 2 nothing for the Jets. We tried to trade Stanley several times, always to no avail.........Why do you suppose that is? At this time all Stanley is doing is standing in the way of superior Moose players. Enough!!!

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
2-3 games in hand, while 1-3 points behind? It’s doable if we can right the ship and play like we did earlier in the season.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'if's' right now. They needed helly to be great last night and he was but lets hopd their midseason swoon is temporary or it will be a first round exit.

I'm not gonna be the guy defending Stanley to the death here. He's clearly not one of our best defensemen. I'm only pushing back on what I consider irrational hatred of a player. The tone around him is toxic and I don't understand why. He had two penalties yesterday, but both of them were at least semi-BS. Otherwise he played an unremarkable game. There were like 15 Jets yesterday who played unremarkable games so I don't see why the talk has to focus on one guy.
Very well said. The coach even acknowledged what they have done to him is not fair.chevy has to shoulder some blame for not being able to move him while 2 apparently more nhl ready dmen have been claimed off waivers.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Laurose

Jets Masochist
Jan 13, 2016
Kleefeld, MB
Man! Glad to be wrong on this one!! Whew!! I thought the Pens would win 6-1. Jets played awesome first period but returned to old habits in a horrible second period. Turnovers in neutral zone, lack of communication in driving the zones, poor offensive zone forecheck...yet solid penalty killing and I thought adequate defensive zone work (except for a few blown coverages). I love Stanley's nasty edge! If he can play more and get it better under control, it can certainly be a plus to have come playoff time. Third period they returned back to more of the first period Jets. I still think they're mentally fragile and need to find a way out of their heads. Some of the guys are, but a few are struggling. Would love to see an offensive explosion!! And a bulldog mentality in the forecheck...and COMMUNICATE!! I say this jokingly...but...have a joint before a game...get outta your heads!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
But how can Heinola get any experience unless you make space for him. Then you are in a situation where you always need to bring in depth from other teams. Dumb question, but, how do other teams resolve it? How do they get their 7th and 8th d playing time?
Well - I think you have to do it by giving him opportunities in stages. His injury really f***ed things up, as I would think he would have gotten bottom pair sheltered minutes and some PP time, and slowly worked his way into more meaningful minutes and could slowly adapt to how the league gets so much tougher as you get closer to playoffs.

As it stands now, all we know for sure is he's exhibition good, but that is a far cry from post all star break hockey. If we put him in he is going to be mightily challenged and if he struggles, that could be a major setback for him.

In my world, Stanley would have lost his position last year and Heinola would have been given that opportunity. Unfortunately, Heinola had a brutal TC and didn't really help his case.

I feel for Ville, it's just been a series of unfortunate incidents for him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If he knew how to take a pass, the score would have been 2 nothing for the Jets. We tried to trade Stanley several times, always to no avail.........Why do you suppose that is? At this time all Stanley is doing is standing in the way of superior Moose players. Enough!!!
The supposition is immense in this post.

Who did we try to trade Stanley to? What were they offering? Please list the several times for reference.

How would you handle Stanley today if you were the GM? Please be specific.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well - I think you have to do it by giving him opportunities in stages. His injury really f***ed things up, as I would think he would have gotten bottom pair sheltered minutes and some PP time, and slowly worked his way into more meaningful minutes and could slowly adapt to how the league gets so much tougher as you get closer to playoffs.

As it stands now, all we know for sure is he's exhibition good, but that is a far cry from post all star break hockey. If we put him in he is going to be mightily challenged and if he struggles, that could be a major setback for him.

In my world, Stanley would have lost his position last year and Heinola would have been given that opportunity. Unfortunately, Heinola had a brutal TC and didn't really help his case.

I feel for Ville, it's just been a series of unfortunate incidents for him.
But, even then we had only a few games where Stanley slotted in when we had Chisholm. If we gave those games to Chisholm would it have been a big enough sample size. Do teams platoon their bottom pairing like if we had played Schmidt fewer games when we were winning we’d know if we had a game capable guy in Chis.
A) who does that messes with a winning team?
B) even if Chis was a gamer you still need an 8th and 9th game ready guy as there is usually more than 1 injury in po.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Stanley wasn't awful last night i agree but i think it's more that people expected more out of Stanley than what he has become. I will say this though for the amount of money he's making he's fine for a extra defenseman , i actually have more issues with Schmidt and his 6 million a season to be honest.
That Schmidt contract stings a bit......but it's all done in a couple months.

Reactions: GNP

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Didn’t look fine in my opinion. Took foolish penalties, was out of position often. Part of the frustration is that he’s been given every chance while guys like Heinola barely get a sniff.
He was out of position quite often last night. And he is too slow attempting to get back into position so it really looks bad. Just my opinion.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Or Dillon? No suspensions and unintentional contact with the head on a hockey play.

If it's fair Reilly should get at least 5 but we all know there's no rhyme or reason to this shit.

The only reason he doesn't get suspended is because he is a Leaf and that sends a terrible message, truthfully I don't think the league cares
InCollage_20240211_132732221.jpg

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I only saw the first period before getting too distracted to watch hockey but we played a fabulous opening 20. There were a few early mistakes which Helle bailed us out from, and a few bumbles on our attack, but overall I thought we were first rate. I'm surprised to see this thread start off with a "well, at least we won" collective shrug and then go on a blame Stanley slide.

Whatever happened to enjoying a win? Were the last two periods so terrible as to generate a collective depression? What's wrong with celebrating? Schief finally got untracked, Nino broke a long scoreless streak, and Ehlers showed us once again what a great playmaker he is. And, best of all, we got two points on a night when Colorado didn't. Let joy be unconfined.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My problem with Stanley stems entirely from the opportunity cost associated with him. They traded up to get him in the 1st round, traded away assets to keep him, kept him in the lineup when waivers were required over better players that were waiver exempt, etc. All for a bottom pairing ceiling defenseman. He even requested to be traded so he could get better playing time, and the Jets didn't trade him. I am so frustrated with his utilization and ceiling that I want him gone.
I agree that the main issue here is the opportunity cost and how it reflects on the organization, not the player himself. Every time that Heinola, Capo or Chisholm come up, the decision-making with Stanley cannot be avoided.
However, to my eyes, there has not been any "toxicity" in the discussion -- he seems like a fine, upstanding young man who has simply been over-valued. In point of fact, there have been personal aspersions cast toward many of our other players over the years (some perhaps deserved, some not), but none involving Stan's character.
It also seems Stanley has avoided the damning personal behaviour, addictions and other risks that beset professional athletes, while earning upwards of $5M and a future NHL pension while still in his 20s. He's doing just fine, thanks, and the discussion around him has been civil and mostly justified.
Now, can we please all move on (from him...;) )?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I only saw the first period before getting too distracted to watch hockey but we played a fabulous opening 20. There were a few early mistakes which Helle bailed us out from, and a few bumbles on our attack, but overall I thought we were first rate. I'm surprised to see this thread start off with a "well, at least we won" collective shrug and then go on a blame Stanley slide.

Whatever happened to enjoying a win? Were the last two periods so terrible as to generate a collective depression? What's wrong with celebrating? Schief finally got untracked, Nino broke a long scoreless streak, and Ehlers showed us once again what a great playmaker he is. And, best of all, we got two points on a night when Colorado didn't. Let joy be unconfined.

Sorry, but that 2nd period was depressingly dismal. The 3rd was better but you wouldn't have thought that Pens were the ones on a b2b, with OT no less.

The 1st period was winning streak Jets. The last 2 periods were 2nd half last year Jets. The PP still stinks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Can we please staple Ehlers on the top line

With an Industry grade stapler not those tiny office ones
Strongly agree with this post, that Ehlers should be "permanently" stapled to that 1stline. He makes things happen bigtime, and can score, and has great chemistry with Scheifele. I believe our winning percentage is a lot higher when Ehler's is on that 1st line.

Also I think Namestikov should be a regular on the 2nd line, and play with Monahan. The guy is a smooth playmaker, very fast skater, and can drive a line. I believe,according to Bowness he was on the 2nd line last night between Mono, and Iafallo. He's too good to be on the 4 th. Just listened on the radio, so not 100 % sure on this.

You could also drop Connor down to the 2nd line, and give that line some potent scoring ability. Connor is still not himself, but slowly coming around after his injury. Monahan will get better every game, and that line could be great. Key is having Names on that 2nd line, and quit changing the lines, and let them develop some chemistry.

If you do move Connor down to the 2nd line (smart) maybe move Cole up to the 1st line and try to get him out of his current slump, because he does have the talent.

Right now, too much scoring talent all on the 1st line, so needs to be tweeked a bit. Good part was - Ehlers to the 1st line, and Names put back on that 2nd line, so we're making progress.:nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Should be Heinola. With 3 days before the next game there is a chance to get him a couple of practices.

Could just be Gus though. Not sure I would waive Toni for Gus. Toni probably clears though. Nearing 30 YO, almost career AHL'er.
I think Gus is slowly rounding into the type of player we were hoping for. A reliable bottom 6 c that can pk and eat minutes without hurting you.

Not sexy but necessary. I wouldn't risk him for a 30 yo tweener (though I do like having toni as insurance)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sorry, but that 2nd period was depressingly dismal. The 3rd was better but you wouldn't have thought that Pens were the ones on a b2b, with OT no less.

The 1st period was winning streak Jets. The last 2 periods were 2nd half last year Jets. The PP still stinks.
I thought the third was fairly even.

The Pens were on a b2b but they're in desperation mode right now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
It also seems Stanley has avoided the damning personal behaviour, addictions and other risks that beset professional athletes, while earning upwards of $5M and an NHL pension in his early 20s. He's doing ok, thanks, and the discussion around him has been civil and mostly justified.
Now, can we please all move on (from him...;) )?
I agree with your comments about Stanley, but he's only earning $1M and not $5M. (Yeah, embarrassed to point that out but somebody has to be the anal retentive one in the crowd.)

Now, off to a Super Bowl party. Or, as some of us like to call it, one week until Spring Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad