Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Pens 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
No worries. My reference was to his total earning in his 20s, not his AAV. Probably closer to $4M than 5 at this point, but will exceed that in his next contract, assuming he sticks. Not a bad gig so far, I'm sure you'd agree.

Enjoy the party!
I certainly did, thanks. I got to meet many of BF's friends and we ate and drank and cheered, and everyone squealed at Usher's striptease. After that, the second half was serious for some folks so the rest of us moved aside and gossiped away from the TV. Unusually (for me), 8 of the 11 guests have full-time Monday-morning jobs so the party melted away by 10 pm. Which was fine by me as the BF and I repaired to his place to continue our own celebration. Best Super Bowl ever!

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
For an avid hockey fan like yourself, that must have been some distraction. I'm assuming the joy refers to your physiotherapist friend. At the rate these distractions are increasing, shall we assume that the Sharks game on Valentine's Day will also be a miss for you?
Never assume.

Yes, it's fabulous having a BF who has studied every muscle in the body and makes his living with his hands. I haven't felt this stress-free in ages, even with a week of edits ahead of me. And yes, the distractions are indeed increasing but I will definitely be watching the Sharks game. (Since the BF is Catholic, we're celebrating Valentine's tomorrow night.) I think several Jets will break out of their scoring slumps on Wednesday and I don't intend to miss that. It'll be the perfect prelude for Spring Break (providing I get my edits done).

Reactions: GNP and Stumbledore

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I’m guessing that Chevy has multiple teams that are interested in Stanley and would 100% claim him, but won’t give Chevy the price he wants in a trade. Chevy grinds the return, he doesn’t mind dragging it out, but I think we know at this point that Stanley’s trade value can’t be very high. He will be traded, it is just a question of how much is coming back, and when Chevy is willing to finally budge.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Never assume.

Yes, it's fabulous having a BF who has studied every muscle in the body and makes his living with his hands. I haven't felt this stress-free in ages, even with a week of edits ahead of me. And yes, the distractions are indeed increasing but I will definitely be watching the Sharks game. (Since the BF is Catholic, we're celebrating Valentine's tomorrow night.) I think several Jets will break out of their scoring slumps on Wednesday and I don't intend to miss that. It'll be the perfect prelude for Spring Break (providing I get my edits done).
Where are you heading for your spring break? A beach in florida to break out your bikinis and drink beer on the beach?

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Where are you heading for your spring break? A beach in florida to break out your bikinis and drink beer on the beach?
Not heading anywhere. I'm staying put. My roomie is off to Padre Island with friends and I was invited to join them but I'd never vacation in a forced birth state. Plus the BF is working all next week.

A few friends got together for my birthday last month and gifted me with the first 7 volumes of the Slow Horses series so I'm going to put work aside and read one book a day for Spring Break. No bikinis required.

Now, even with a hangover, lunch awaits.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can say you're desperate but when you're in 3rd in your division, leading in points percentage and comfortably in a playoff spot you're not really desperate, are you?

You are desperate when you have lost 5 in a row and can't score more than 1 goal a game. Going into that game Jets had been shut out 3 times in 6 games, 4 in 8. The 3 games in 6 when they were not shut out they managed just 1 goal twice and 2 in the other. If Jets are not desperate, they sure as hell ought to be.

Yes, they have a cushion for a PO spot. We've seen this act before though. They had a nice cushion last year too and just barely squeaked in to 2WC.

The only game in the last 10 where they have looked good was a 4-2 win over the struggling Isles who fired their coach a few days later. They also beat Chi, the worst team in the league, 2-1. Then they were shutout by Philly, not a good team, before the Isles game. They followed that one with another 2-1 win over a bad team, Sens 5th from the bottom, and took OT to do it.

So despite 3 wins in those 4 games the bad streak really extends to 10 games. They need to start playing with a little desperation. A 2-1 win over another not very good team on a b2b is still part of the problem unless it is the beginning of the rebound.

I hope it is. I hope they take this 3 day break look in the mirror and return to the style of play that got them to leading the league for a while. Time will tell.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gustafsson was on pace to fall short of Toninato's best offensive season by less than 2 points. Toninato has never put up points in this league. Gustafsson is the only center over 50% on the draws apart from Monahan now and is much, much better defensively than Toninato. Gus and Barron were also clicking really, really well when he went down.

Yes, Gus was beginning to play well before he was injured. But Toni has played well so far this season too. Gus - 4 pts in 27 games. Toninato 5 in 15 playing the same role.

Gus may be better defensively but Toni is not that bad there either. I think "much, much better" is a bit of overstatement.

Toni has exhausted his potential. Gus still has quite a bit and that would be the deciding factor for me. Ignoring that and just going on play this season, if they were the same age, etc. I would easily keep Toni. JMO

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
based on what is gus better defensively?
1707766038136.png

seems like when they've been on the ice this year, the Jets rate better in xGA/60 with Toninato as opposed to Gus.

nevertheless neither should be in the lineup when healthy and if so, are barely putting a dent on the game.
Yes, Gus was beginning to play well before he was injured. But Toni has played well so far this season too. Gus - 4 pts in 27 games. Toninato 5 in 15 playing the same role.

Gus may be better defensively but Toni is not that bad there either. I think "much, much better" is a bit of overstatement.

Toni has exhausted his potential. Gus still has quite a bit and that would be the deciding factor for me. Ignoring that and just going on play this season, if they were the same age, etc. I would easily keep Toni. JMO

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You are desperate when you have lost 5 in a row and can't score more than 1 goal a game. Going into that game Jets had been shut out 3 times in 6 games, 4 in 8. The 3 games in 6 when they were not shut out they managed just 1 goal twice and 2 in the other. If Jets are not desperate, they sure as hell ought to be.

Yes, they have a cushion for a PO spot. We've seen this act before though. They had a nice cushion last year too and just barely squeaked in to 2WC.

The only game in the last 10 where they have looked good was a 4-2 win over the struggling Isles who fired their coach a few days later. They also beat Chi, the worst team in the league, 2-1. Then they were shutout by Philly, not a good team, before the Isles game. They followed that one with another 2-1 win over a bad team, Sens 5th from the bottom, and took OT to do it.

So despite 3 wins in those 4 games the bad streak really extends to 10 games. They need to start playing with a little desperation. A 2-1 win over another not very good team on a b2b is still part of the problem unless it is the beginning of the rebound.

I hope it is. I hope they take this 3 day break look in the mirror and return to the style of play that got them to leading the league for a while. Time will tell.
Its not like they played terrible.
Yes the Jets had a couple of bad periods here and there but the reason they lost some of those game was that the puck was not going into the net for them ... it happens.
Look at Ovechkin ... he was getting chances galore during the season his shooting percent was terrible because the puck was just not going in for him. Yesterday he made a pass to Oshie and it never made it to him because the pass hit the Canuck D man and it went into the net. That's 5 straight games Ovi has now scored in ... things even out over time.
I don't have a problem with the Jets losing if they play well and I don't except ANY team to dominate another team for 3 whole periods ... that's unrealistic.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Weak.

So essentially you're saying that you're assertion that Chevy tried to trade him several times has zero basis in fact and further you don't want to tell us what you'd do with him today and how.

Lots of NHL 24 management going on here.

Exactly. Let's say Stanley wasn't here all season. How exactly does that change anything with the players we have in our top 6?

Heinola got hurt anyway - I guess it would maybe mean that we would have kept Chiz which is not nothing but it's close.
Jet if you read this board and newspapers you will find the FACT that Stanley asked for a trade out of frustration for his treatment here.........I would trade him now or at the trade line and get whatever i could get for what maybe the slowest defensive player in the NHL, especially at start and go which has betrayed him and the Jets many times in his stay here, and let another team finish his endless development. At least he will get to play hockey continously ...maybe.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 818442

seems like when they've been on the ice this year, the Jets rate better in xGA/60 with Toninato as opposed to Gus.

nevertheless neither should be in the lineup when healthy and if so, are barely putting a dent on the game.

Gus might be better than Toninato - might not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its not like they played terrible.
Yes the Jets had a couple of bad periods here and there but the reason they lost some of those game was that the puck was not going into the net for them ... it happens.
Look at Ovechkin ... he was getting chances galore during the season his shooting percent was terrible because the puck was just not going in for him. Yesterday he made a pass to Oshie and it never made it to him because the pass hit the Canuck D man and it went into the net. That's 5 straight games Ovi has now scored in ... things even out over time.
I don't have a problem with the Jets losing if they play well and I don't except ANY team to dominate another team for 3 whole periods ... that's unrealistic.

Well, yes and no.
I agree they were not playing as badly as they did at this time last year. The difference between the last 10 games and the preceding 40 may be down to failing to play 60 minutes. The 2nd period Sat being being an example.

There is a difference though between an individual player having a cold streak and a whole team having one.

We talk about the puck just not going in (I use the term too) as though the puck had some kind of supernatural control over where it goes. For a short time it might be bad luck and good goaltending. But longer than a game or two and the shooter is probably doing something wrong. A millisecond slow or rushing the shot. Aiming for corners and missing, etc. But again, when it is a whole team, there needs to be a deeper explanation.

I have no problem with this last 10 game stretch if they can pull out of it. No team can play at their peak level for an entire 82 game season. If it is just a mid-season slump that they pull out of, it is nothing. But if it becomes the new norm we have a bigger problem than ever.

After all of the disappointments we have had since 2018, I can't help having that uh oh, here we go again feeling.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
View attachment 818442

I'm fine with that. I'm not the one touting Gus as "much, much better" defensively.

I've liked Toni this year. I have liked him in the past - as a 13th/14th F. He is versatile and reasonably safe. Just what you want on standby in the PB.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet if you read this board and newspapers you will find the FACT that Stanley asked for a trade out of frustration for his treatment here.........I would trade him now or at the trade line and get whatever i could get for what maybe the slowest defensive player in the NHL, especially at start and go which has betrayed him and the Jets many times in his stay here, and let another team finish his endless development. At least he will get to play hockey continously ...maybe.
You still did not answer my question. I know that Stanley quietly asked for a trade, but YOU said that Chevy tried to trade him several times. Show me proof of this outside of hearsay.

Additionally, you say trade him. Isn't that at polar odds to your assertion that Chevy somehow couldn't trade him?

I am all for trading Stanley. I don't see him in the plans and I'd MUCH rather have Capobianco or Heinola up.

However, people are saying we should waive him and that would just be a dumb idea. You need more defensive depth going into the playoffs, not less. And, as much as I'm not a Stanley fan, I recognize he is a very good bench option with NHL experience.

I'm not sure what people want out of their 7th defenseman, but this is what you get in that role.

My issue with your post was the lack of any concrete evidence. There's far too much of that floating around nowadays.

OK, Mort.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he also did seem to walk it back - this was after re-signing here - so take it fwiw.

"It was nothing against the organization, the city of Winnipeg or my teammates," Stanley said to Jets at Noon. "I am very happy being in Winnipeg. And actually, I’d love to play there my whole career. The team that drafted me and I’ve built some great relationships there. It wasn’t anything about that.

"It was more so just the opportunity to play some games. At the end of the day you’ve got to worry about your own career a little bit too. But it was just about opportunity, it wasn’t anything that transpired with the team or myself."

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm fine with that. I'm not the one touting Gus as "much, much better" defensively.

I've liked Toni this year. I have liked him in the past - as a 13th/14th F. He is versatile and reasonably safe. Just what you want on standby in the PB.
Yeah, I feel bad for him as I want everyone to get a FT spot but I think we got lucky to keep him. He's a guy that can draw in and not hurt you.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I feel bad for him as I want everyone to get a FT spot but I think we got lucky to keep him. He's a guy that can draw in and not hurt you.
Agree. I think we are lucky to have him. If he was 5-6 years younger he probably gets claimed.

I see Gus is off IR but on a conditioning stint. I'm happy to have him back but I was hoping for Heinola.

Reactions: thereturn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad