Rumor: Jesse Wants Out 4: Get Out of the Pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Quick Recap

-Lehto ( Puljujarvi's agent) revealed before draft that Puljujarvi wanted a trade and will not play for the oilers again, said he will play in europe.
This, on the assumption that this will force Holland to trade him during draft.
Holland didn't flinch.

-Fast forward a couple months and Lehto backtracked on his original statement that Puljujarvi wasn't for sure not going to play for the oilers this fall.

- This past month, Puljujarvi interviewed in Finnish, double down on his trade request and said he will not play for oilers, will play in europe if not traded, but apparently ia very confident he will be traded before camp, will play in NA with a NHL team, and wants a top 6 role on top of that.
NHL media and oiler fans took exception to this.

- Leads to now, where there is just an entitled poo in the pool.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. So much speculation over what was or wasn’t going on from his side that I wasn’t sure what the facts were anymore.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Quick Recap

-Lehto ( Puljujarvi's agent) revealed before draft that Puljujarvi wanted a trade and will not play for the oilers again, said he will play in europe.
This, on the assumption that this will force Holland to trade him during draft.
Holland didn't flinch.

-Fast forward a couple months and Lehto backtracked on his original statement that Puljujarvi wasn't for sure not going to play for the oilers this fall.

- This past month, Puljujarvi interviewed in Finnish, double down on his trade request and said he will not play for oilers, will play in europe if not traded, but apparently ia very confident he will be traded before camp, will play in NA with a NHL team, and wants a top 6 role on top of that.
NHL media and oiler fans took exception to this.

- Leads to now, where there is just an entitled poo in the pool.

This is my favourite part about it. The fact that he wants to play top 6 in the NHL for a team that's not us despite doing nothing to warrant it is astonishing. Does he not realize that he probably has limited his chance to be traded at all. Making demands without any leverage is bad. We are one of the only teams that could realistically give him a shot in the top 6 and he burns all bridges.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
source.gif

North

Jun 25, 2009
This is my favourite part about it. The fact that he wants to play top 6 in the NHL for a team that's not us despite doing nothing to warrant it is astonishing. Does he not realize that he probably has limited his chance to be traded at all. Making demands without any leverage is bad. We are one of the only teams that could realistically give him a shot in the top 6 and he burns all bridges.

He’s pissy because Holland made it clear he’d have to start on the third line and basically earn his way up to the top 6. He’s not interested in doing that.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Mara

May 10, 2011
Finnish newspaper Kaleva reports that Pulju's hometown team has started the process to register him as a player for next season. He's also been participating in their powerplay practice recently. Puljujärvi said at the start of the month that he'll make a decision by September, so we might know more very soon.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Finnish newspaper Kaleva reports that Pulju's hometown team has started the process to register him as a player for next season. He's also been participating in their powerplay practice recently. Puljujärvi said at the start of the month that he'll make a decision by September, so we might know more very soon.

I'd just let him stay there for this season and re-evaluate the situation at the end of the season.

Reactions: Bangers and frag2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was definitely all going according to plan for veteran agent Letho. Then he realized Holland wasn't going to bite on his pressure and had to make a desperate attempt to salvage the situation, backtracking on all his threats and looking like a goof in the process.
Lehto/JP had so many chances to save face on this whole situation, but everytime they open their mouth they just make things worse.

This isn't a superstar like Heatley or St.Louis who had years of proven hockey that felt wronged and demanded a trade. It's a kid who's proved nothing. Hasn't even been in a world hockey championship and did something.

Team Jesse just need to make a decision on what they want to do this year and shut up already. Your options are rather simple. Either play in Europe, sign with the Oilers or find another GM that is willing to give the Oilers what Holland is looking for.

Reactions: oobga

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lehto/JP had so many chances to save face on this whole situation, but everytime they open their mouth they just make things worse.

This isn't a superstar like Heatley or St.Louis who had years of proven hockey that felt wronged and demanded a trade. It's a kid who's proved nothing. Hasn't even been in a world hockey championship and did something.

Team Jesse just need to make a decision on what they want to do this year and shut up already. Your options are rather simple. Either play in Europe, sign with the Oilers or find another GM that is willing to give the Oilers what Holland is looking for.

Thing is he won't shut up. Even if Lehto does, JP seems to do things and say things on his own without even consulting his agent if it's a good idea or not.

Unfortunately for him, as Leavins said, interest from other teams in him is mild at best

Reactions: joestevens29

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thing is he won't shut up. Even if Lehto does, JP seems to do things and say things on his own without even consulting his agent if it's a good idea or not.

Unfortunately for him, as Leavins said, interest from other teams in him is mild at best

“Mild interest” would be putting it wildly optimistic. Unless we’re willing to take a used puck bag and some pool cleaner he’s going nowhere but to the Oulu Whatevertheyares.

Reactions: frag2

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I see 3 scenarios, none of which result in him playing in the NHL for another team.

1. He caves, comes back, and succeeds. It then makes no sense for either party to want to explore a trade. He stays.

2. He caves, comes back, and fails. His value doesn’t improve, and he therefore can’t be traded.

3. He stays in Europe.

I’m not sure how he can’t figure it out. Either bet on yourself, or take your ball and go home already.

“Mild interest” would be putting it wildly optimistic. Unless we’re willing to take a used puck bag and some pool cleaner he’s going nowhere but to the Oulu Whatevertheyares.

Ya. Rust was a non starter for him. Asking for a 27 year old, 5’11, ~35 point, winger killed the discussion. He’s got no interest around the league

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If he does choose to stay in Finland, getting big minutes and playing on the powerplay, it should be really great for him. But he's going to have to show that he's a superstar in that league. If not this decision is going to backfire in a big way for him.

If no trade can be made by the start of next season I wonder if the year away from the NHL will humble him and give the Oilers another go. I say this because Jesse's value to the Oilers is greatest if he plays here. Face it, he's got next to no trade value.

Reactions: scholl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
All his agent has to do is look around the league at their RW depth charts and he'll see that almost every team has 3 RW's that are better than JP is right now. The only teams that he has a legitimate shot in the top six is with Edmonton, Anaheim, Buffalo, Florida, Ottawa, San Jose, and Vancouver. Edmonton is the only one of all these teams listed that has both top 6 RW spots opened and 3 great centers to play with. Edmonton is a dream situation for a young, scoring RW. He's just entitled and doesn't want to put the work in and if he can't make it with Edmonton's current situation then he won't make it with any other team.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
My Pulju prediction is

He plays the whole season in Finland, he has a great year. Next NHL draft some team offers a late first for him.

Book it :)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My Pulju prediction is

He plays the whole season in Finland, he has a great year. Next NHL draft some team offers a late first for him.

Book it :)
What would a great year in Finland look like and how would that impress any NHL GM enough to offer anything close to a first round pick for him? We’re not even talking about the KHL here, which hasn’t really proven to mean anything as far as NHL standards goes, we’re talking about a lower caliber league than that. I don’t see how Puljijarvi going back to Finland helps him in any way. He has trouble playing a North American game and for him to learn how to play one, he needs to be in North America. Right now the only team over here interested in him is the Oilers. If his goal is to play in the NHL then any year spent over there is a wasted year in his career.

My prediction is if he doesn’t come back here then he’s never going to be a full time NHL player.

Reactions: guymez

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Great. We didn't really have room for him on our roster, and we still have his rights for 4 years. Hopefully he regains his confidence and scoring touch and comes back in a year or so and unbusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad