Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Dashing Silver Fox lives. Except the quality of his posts have gone way down hill. Sad
Haha. DSF. Wonder what happened to that guy.
But seriously I’m going to go to bat for bobby here a bit.

JP is putting some things together in his game this year. It’s true. There’s improvement. But I can see why bobby has to roll his eyes at some of the posters in this thread. There are some who are only on this board because JP is an Oiler. Period. They are one trick posters and very very dedicated. For all the exaggeration you and others engage in when you satirize Bobby’s posts, he’s not wrong above when he posts stuff like ‘elite’ ‘selke’ 40 goal guy’. Those posts are all over the place in this thread and they simply aren’t based in reality. One fellow used to go on and on about how JP was being robbed of his PP birthright minutes on this club. At least he’s quieted down on that a bit lately.

One other thing, I notice a trend in this thread to attack bobby personally. Like just above there’s a poster hinting with all the fake politeness he can muster that bobby, how was it put, posts here for ‘social contact’. To my eye he’s been pretty damn good about not firing back at some of the personal attacks he’s taken on this thread.

I chose to post this to you because we’ve had our battles in the past over particular players (Gagner - with you in the bobbythebrain role if I may say so, and MPS to name a couple). So I was hoping you could understand my viewpoint based on that history. I don’t see bobby hating on JP, more like he can’t seem to help himself from over reacting to the handful of posters that are pumping up JP’s game to levels that the kid just hasn’t got to yet.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Just like the analytic fanatics are very loud, so are the hard-line anti-analytics fanatics. I think they are the minority but they make a lot of noise in the anti JP discourse. Personally, I think thats a very small % of our fanbase and majority love and know Pulju worth to this team.
You can understand analytics and also get that Puljujarvi is a line in the sand case for those clutching onto shot metrics like they‘re gospel truth, this isn’t an either-or analytics vs. anti-analytics case. CF% and goal share is a small subset of analytics not all-encompassing. And how did xG become fact when it was speculation driven by judgement calls from the very beginning.

They are so taken by this ”line driver” concept that they can‘t understand why a player so good by their reasoning can be deemed so poor in other ways.

In the cold light of objective reasoning, Puljujarvi as a player has some good aspects and some bad aspects. If you’re using math and science to determine your own reasoning the question begs why do they feel so threatened to not be able to accept other ideas? Or is a superiority complex part of being an analytics fanatic?

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Is JP just snakebiten or does he have hands of stone? He's an effective player, but he is also frustrating. If ur gonna play with the best player in the world, ur gonna get lots of 5 bell chances. It follows that u have to bury some of them; u can't miss them all. JP buries just 1 of the glorious chances 97 sets him up for and they beat the best team in the league!! Heretofore, I'm not convinced JP is a 1st line player.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You can understand analytics and also get that Puljujarvi is a line in the sand case for those clutching onto shot metrics like they‘re gospel truth, this isn’t an either-or analytics vs. anti-analytics case. CF% and goal share is a small subset of analytics not all-encompassing. And how did xG become fact when it was speculation driven by judgement calls from the very beginning.

They are so taken by this ”line driver” concept that they can‘t understand why a player so good by their reasoning can be deemed so poor in other ways.

In the cold light of objective reasoning, Puljujarvi as a player has some good aspects and some bad aspects. If you’re using math and science to determine your own reasoning the question begs why do they feel so threatened to not be able to accept other ideas? Or is a superiority complex part of being an analytics fanatic?
My cat likes cat food.

Reactions: oilers'72

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Haha. DSF. Wonder what happened to that guy.
But seriously I’m going to go to bat for bobby here a bit.

JP is putting some things together in his game this year. It’s true. There’s improvement. But I can see why bobby has to roll his eyes at some of the posters in this thread. There are some who are only on this board because JP is an Oiler. Period. They are one trick posters and very very dedicated. For all the exaggeration you and others engage in when you satirize Bobby’s posts, he’s not wrong above when he posts stuff like ‘elite’ ‘selke’ 40 goal guy’. Those posts are all over the place in this thread and they simply aren’t based in reality. One fellow used to go on and on about how JP was being robbed of his PP birthright minutes on this club. At least he’s quieted down on that a bit lately.

This is a wild thing to say about people other than the guy who jumps on to post multiple times to slam one particular player even when said player has a great game. Dude is obsessed.

Reactions: PulYou

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Points are nice, but outscoring your opponent is how you win hockey games.

Since Woodcroft was hired, there isn't a single player in the league with a better 5v5 goal differential than Puljujarvi.

I'll take a player with average offense and elite defense any day of the week.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Points are nice, but outscoring your opponent is how you win hockey games.

Since Woodcroft was hired, there isn't a single player in the league with a better 5v5 goal differential than Puljujarvi.

I'll take a player with average offense and elite defense any day of the week.
Scoring one goal in the last 15 games, while playing with the best player in the game, is not average offence though.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
This is also completely untrue. I love these made up bs narratives

I started to question JP's "ELITE" talent when he sniped Maroon in the neck from 2ft away. Not even pro golfers get a lob wedge up that fast. Then his "talent" really became on display when he was set up on a wide open net and wound up and did a slap pass to absolutely nobody. Watching him falldown 10x in one game was also amusing

However, my posts ramped up when everyone blamed Tmac and the Org for JP's troubles when indeed it was JP himself admitting he didn't bother learning English

Now, I just reply to posts and tweets using words like"elite" "selke" and "potential to score 40"
Do you get tired of sitting on your phone/computer incessantly watching this thread for posts that disagree with you so that you can post the same shit over and over again? Puljujarvi is a good player that lacks finish. His defensive stats are damn good and it's not because he doesn't go battle down low. He tries to read the play and jump in when it's smart to do so. Growing up playing hockey every coach would all same the same thing. There needs to be a guy high when 2 are down low forechecking to play defensive if the other team starts breaking out. You rotate in the offensive zone on the forecheck when the puck goes from one side to the other Pulju will slide down and someone should slide up and cover. If no one covers that how you give up odd man rushes. Surprise surprise the Oilers don't rotate the forecheck in the opposing zone which is why they give up so many odd man rushes against. I have no issue with JP staying as the high man on the forecheck for defensive support because he's actually been VERY good and pickpocketing players who are trying to break the puck out at the blue line. He did that exact thing on one of McDavids goals in a previous game recently as well as many other times that lead to amazing chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad