Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really don't mean to compare players, but I just took a look at Laine's underlying stats and again they are among the worst of the team. His corsi is the 2nd worst (42.50%) while his oZS% is the 2nd highest of the team (69%). So basically the game is tilting towards their zone while he's on the ice. Pulju on the other hand has an excellent corsi% (55.2% which is around the same as McDavid and Nuge, the highest forwards). His oZS% is 58.9 (5th highest of the team).

I'm not writing Laine off, his shot is phenomenal and I think he's adjusting to a new team, but it hasn't been easy lately. Once he starts scoring again things may look very different, but I think this time he's forced to concentrate on becoming a more complete player. The bad thing with pretty one dimensional scorers is that their contratcs tend to cost a lot. In that regard Pulju is looking like a better and better pick and I think we're getting closer to the point where we can be happy it was him the Oilers decided to pick. It's quite a change really. I hope I'm not annoying Laine fans, like I said he should bounce back so patience is the key. And comparisons are useless as the Oilers couldn't have picked him at #3 anyway.

Laine is a 1 shot scorer that needs service to maximize his skills, who is his center in Columbus?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Laine is a 1 shot scorer that needs service to maximize his skills, who is his center in Columbus?

I haven't really watched his games this season, just read what's going on and seen some highlights. I think it's been Roslovic now. The CBJ doesn't really have an elite center, which Laine obviously requires. On the other hand even with great centers Laine is much more of a PP guy. In that area he can shine, but other than that he needs to keep working hard as right now he hasn't looked great at all in short pieces that I've seen. Skating is the biggest area and whatever he's been doing in that area he needs to do differently in the future. Only then we can see what he can actually do.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That was a big goal he scored yesterday. It was nothing fancy but a real nice effort to get to the puck and then bury it.

Yeah not a fancy goal but I think the best part was how fast he got himself to the free area and especially how he "demanded" the puck at just the right time. If Russell had passed him the puck at that time it could've been a high hockey IQ goal+assist to both him and Russell, but of course it could've failed so better this way :) I have to say I really liked what McDavid did just before the goal, it was a very important part too.

Sometimes pucks go in and sometimes they don't. Rather than concentrating on goals (though I do like that he's been getting them lately) I tend to notice little improvements that suggest some success in the future. The way Pulju has played himself to open spots in some goals lately has been very promising. I think he's realised that in the NHL you need to learn to slide to the right position at the right times as there won't be room otherwise. Fortunately his good skating and size help in this too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah not a fancy goal but I think the best part was how fast he got himself to the free area and especially how he "demanded" the puck at just the right time. If Russell had passed him the puck at that time it could've been a high hockey IQ goal+assist to both him and Russell, but of course it could've failed so better this way :) I have to say I really liked what McDavid did just before the goal, it was a very important part too.

Sometimes pucks go in and sometimes they don't. Rather than concentrating on goals (though I do like that he's been getting them lately) I tend to notice little improvements that suggest some success in the future. The way Pulju has played himself to open spots in some goals lately has been very promising. I think he's realised that in the NHL you need to learn to slide to the right position at the right times as there won't be room otherwise. Fortunately his good skating and size help in this too.

He's played very well. Even when he has not been scoring he has been a dog on the puck and has even added a bit of a physical component to his game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was a big goal he scored yesterday. It was nothing fancy but a real nice effort to get to the puck and then bury it.

Yep, right place at right time and reading that there was a shot from the point and possible rebound. Helped even more that Russell hit the post and making the tap in easier. Opponents tend to scramble immediately after a post and less adept at picking anybody up.

pulju is well suited to bag some goals around net as he's physically strong, can't box him out and he can be strong on puck with the right stick length. That he takes the most notes from Drai is only going to help him as the two have merging aspects in play and skills.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Dare I write - Peter Forsberg in the making...

JP was doing that all night. I truly feel like the sky is the limit for him. We talk about him using his size and he's actually doing it. His 'floor' to me seems to be one hell of a 40pt complimentary forward whose game is a lot for the opposition to handle.

It's going to be really fun to watch his progression over the next few years.

This team also seems to have a really good culture. Devin Shore alluded to it in his most recent interview on the Oiler's youtube channel, where he mentions there isn't a divide socially in the room (between taxi/non-taxi squad, elite players, etc). This was a problem a remember reading about when Hall & Eberle were here.

Bright things ahead for us. It's up to Holland to not mortgage the future and take on any excruciatingly poor contracts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jesse was a force last night even held pointless. He's the one player you notice on his line, and it should be RNH, but it isn't. Its Jesse on the mad forecheck punishing people and claiming pucks.

I mean on the lines goal Jesse makes the whole play happen.

A crushing forecheck and his battle creates/pressures the turnover, puck bounces off Nuge, and Ennis pots the gold. Jesse doesnt' even get an assist and made it happen. In the same preceding shift Nuge had turned the puck over twice and Jesse got it back.

I dunno, its deserving of mention here that Jesse created that goal. Didn't see it mentioned.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I haven't seen the recent games, but it seems Pulju has been solid in the 2nd line too. Unfortunately there hasn't been points, obviously two post in these two games and played a part in the goal Ennis scored.

I've been patient and still am, but at some point I'd like to see Pulju have a real chance on the PP. It would also be nice to see what he could do with McDavid and Drai.

A quick calculation shows he's averaged something like 13,5-14 minutes per game this month. Playing in the 2nd line with Ennis and Nuge, having bottom-9 (or maybe middle-6) minutes and no real PP usage is in my eyes pretty much like playing in the 3rd line. In his first stint this kind of usage didn't bring a lot of results, but at least it seems Pulju is readier to drive a line this time. It's been close lately so hopefully he'll score a goal with this line soon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't seen the recent games, but it seems Pulju has been solid in the 2nd line too. Unfortunately there hasn't been points, obviously two post in these two games and played a part in the goal Ennis scored.

I've been patient and still am, but at some point I'd like to see Pulju have a real chance on the PP. It would also be nice to see what he could do with McDavid and Drai.

A quick calculation shows he's averaged something like 13,5-14 minutes per game this month. Playing in the 2nd line with Ennis and Nuge, having bottom-9 (or maybe middle-6) minutes and no real PP usage is in my eyes pretty much like playing in the 3rd line. In his first stint this kind of usage didn't bring a lot of results, but at least it seems Pulju is readier to drive a line this time. It's been close lately so hopefully he'll score a goal with this line soon.

Nuge is struggling immensely at Even strength. he just isn't driving any offense, and hilariously the puck just bounced off him to Ennis yesterday, and he gets an assist.

Jesse is fine, but Nuge is in one big production funk outside the PP, and has been all season.

I'd eventually like to see what this healthy version of Pulju would look like playing with Draisaitl. I bet that would have some jam to it. I'm not sure what is going on with Nuge but I don't know theres going to be a ton of points on that line. We'll see, but its not Jesse who continues to battle hard.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Nuge is struggling immensely at Even strength. he just isn't driving any offense, and hilariously the puck just bounced off him to Ennis yesterday, and he gets an assist.

Jesse is fine, but Nuge is in one big production funk outside the PP, and has been all season.

I'd eventually like to see what this healthy version of Pulju would look like playing with Draisaitl. I bet that would have some jam to it. I'm not sure what is going on with Nuge but I don't know theres going to be a ton of points on that line. We'll see, but its not Jesse who continues to battle hard.

I respect Nuge and there's obviously some fans of his here so I'll try to be careful with my words. But sometimes I wonder if paying something like 6-7 million to him helps the team take the next step. He's been a part of a working PP (though it seems he's been quieter on that side lately) and already that is worth something, but before an expensive extension it might be good to see how the PP would do without him.

So far I haven't seen him produce much centering his own line. If that doesn't change it'll hopefully at least bring the salary down a bit. CBJ would obviously offer a lot for Nuge (at least if he signs an extention), but I don't know if there's pieces the Oilers really need (though it'd be nice to see how someone like Domi would do). Then again, DRY was terrific last year so credit for that needs go to Nuge too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jesse was a force last night even held pointless. He's the one player you notice on his line, and it should be RNH, but it isn't. Its Jesse on the mad forecheck punishing people and claiming pucks.

A crushing forecheck and his battle creates/pressures the turnover, puck bounces off Nuge, and Ennis pots the gold. Jesse doesnt' even get an assist and made it happen. In the same preceding shift Nuge had turned the puck over twice and Jesse got it back.

I dunno, its deserving of mention here that Jesse created that goal. Didn't see it mentioned.

I think this is what McLellan was wanting from Pulju and why he could have a good offensive game and not get a lot.

What a player does when he isn't putting up points and scoring is super important. Puljujarvi has learned how to contribute without getting points and I feel like that's extremely hard for guys who have been elite offensively based on talent to learn.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I respect Nuge and there's obviously some fans of his here so I'll try to be careful with my words. But sometimes I wonder if paying something like 6-7 million to him helps the team take the next step. He's been a part of a working PP (though it seems he's been quieter on that side lately) and already that is worth something, but before an expensive extension it might be good to see how the PP would do without him.

So far I haven't seen him produce much centering his own line. If that doesn't change it'll hopefully at least bring the salary down a bit. CBJ would obviously offer a lot for Nuge (at least if he signs an extention), but I don't know if there's pieces the Oilers really need (though it'd be nice to see how someone like Domi would do). Then again, DRY was terrific last year so credit for that needs go to Nuge too.

I have high confidence in what Nuge can be, and also a realization of the hand he is showing. He's a star player that has accepted less of himself, and thats hard to see. He's the polar opposite of Leon Draisaitl, a player that did the opposite, made himself great through determination to get better each season.

Its drive, (excuse pun) how bad does a person want it, how much will they sacrifice to be the absolute best they can be. With a guy like Yakupov the answer was not much. he wasn't gonna roll up and do all it takes. he was going to pick his spots. For awhile I worried about Pulju being that, as you know, but because we had just witnessed the Yakupov saga here. I wanted both to succeed. I'm just mentioning it because part of my reaction to Pulju was based on another player result, and that is unfair.

So I got my glasses back on and I'm trying to see straight now with limited vision..;)

Pulju by my eyes is doing what it takes to have imminent success at the highest level of hockey. Oh, and he's a wrecking ball. I love it.

Reactions: PulYou and Whyme

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think JP is a perfect player to look at the different analytics for. The gap between what his point totals show and his impact on the game is quite immense.

His forechecking and two-way ability are top notch. He is pretty much the complete package right now and you can put him out in all situations and he will add value to the shift. When you look at his "fancy stat" metrics for different categories, he shows very well in many of them.

The scary thing for the rest of the league should be the fact JP is still relatively raw in the NHL and already looks this good. Once he finds out ways to take advantage of D and his goal-scoring increases... watch out. I do not think its a stretch to say he could get up to Blake Wheeler level of player

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The scary thing for the rest of the league should be the fact JP is still relatively raw in the NHL and already looks this good. Once he finds out ways to take advantage of D and his goal-scoring increases... watch out. I do not think its a stretch to say he could get up to Blake Wheeler level of player

There's room in improving the goal-scoring section, but even now and with the non-scoring start of the season in the bottom-6 his ESG/60 is the 2nd best of the team.

Despite having much (about 3-4 times) less PP usage than the guys around him his G/60 is the 4th best of the team. So him still developing, getting to play with McD/Drai and getting more PP (and also ES) time could lead to nice numbers in that section.

Reactions: PulYou

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I also feel like Jesse has a higher upside than Nuge, however that was a goal created by the entire line. Jesse and Ennis from the pressure, Nuge for his positioning and Ennis for being Johnny on the spot. Add to that a bad pass from them and there's your goal.

When Jesse feels even more comfortable in his body he will be an absolute beast. You can tell already that he's one of the strongest players in every game that we play.

Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I also feel like Jesse has a higher upside than Nuge, however that was a goal created by the entire line. Jesse and Ennis from the pressure, Nuge for his positioning and Ennis for being Johnny on the spot. Add to that a bad pass from them and there's your goal.

When Jesse feels even more comfortable in his body he will be an absolute beast. You can tell already that he's one of the strongest players in every game that we play.

What on Earth was Stutzle thinking on that play. heh. Thats a rookie look. Panicked, did the first thing and passed the puck right into his own slot, off Nuge and to Ennis who scored. yeah, good positioning by Nuge going to the net, and Ennis being there. But without the monstrous effort by Pulju none of it happens.

Hope the line gets going, we need that and we need Nuge dialed into the best he can be. He's not giving the team his all.

But I loved the goal, all had a part. Good chaos goal and the line is well equipped to be getting some more of these. They pressure very well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have high confidence in what Nuge can be, and also a realization of the hand he is showing. He's a star player that has accepted less of himself, and thats hard to see. He's the polar opposite of Leon Draisaitl, a player that did the opposite, made himself great through determination to get better each season.

Its drive, (excuse pun) how bad does a person want it, how much will they sacrifice to be the absolute best they can be. With a guy like Yakupov the answer was not much. he wasn't gonna roll up and do all it takes. he was going to pick his spots. For awhile I worried about Pulju being that, as you know, but because we had just witnessed the Yakupov saga here. I wanted both to succeed. I'm just mentioning it because part of my reaction to Pulju was based on another player result, and that is unfair.

So I got my glasses back on and I'm trying to see straight now with limited vision..;)

Pulju by my eyes is doing what it takes to have imminent success at the highest level of hockey. Oh, and he's a wrecking ball. I love it.

Drai and Pulju have physical tools that Nuge could only dream of. That said I would also like to see more out of RNH and to my eye he has been looking better at center. We'll see how the next handful of games go. That said if we move on from RNH who centers the 2nd line? What is their acquisition cost? Unless it's Holloway we have no one remotely close in the system to replace him even when he's not at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad