Confirmed with Link: Jesse Puljujarvi 2 years 800k

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not really sold on Pulju being a every day NHLer.

I think he could be fine as our 12th forward and at his cap hit that's fine and I like his size and abilities, but not really super impressed with his game.

Edmonton fans said this is his game too. He looks like a ghost for 5-7 then suddenly looks like a rock star for 2.

Hard to hate us taking a shot on him and giving him two years though.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'm not really sold on Pulju being a every day NHLer.

I think he could be fine as our 12th forward and at his cap hit that's fine and I like his size and abilities, but not really super impressed with his game.

Edmonton fans said this is his game too. He looks like a ghost for 5-7 then suddenly looks like a rock star for 2.

Hard to hate us taking a shot on him and giving him two years though.

I bolded the part I'll correct. That's not how it is. Puljujarvi's problem was he looked like a good or even great top-6 player for over a year and then disappeared for a similar stretch. Now it's a matter of taste if you want to find a partial explanation from the hip injury, but I think it was also about confidence, increasing frustration about not scoring etc. Based on what we saw in the Oilers a confidence boost can do wonders, but of course only time will tell.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
I Followed Edmonton HFboard quite intensively when Pulju was there, and that is absolutely not what was said. Pulju played great for about a year, and was dog shit after that. Probably mostly because of the mid body stiffness caused by the hip problems.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's all about expectations. If people are expecting the 4OV pick from 2016 to come in and play like he did in the 2016 world juniors, there will be disappointment. If we are expecting a 4th line wing who can be good defensively and chip in offensively, we might not be disappointed.

When the bar is Carter, Harkins, Nieto, and Acciari...it doesn't take much to "look good" here.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Did they say he was? I missed that. But I mean Poulin got the sully treatment of 5 minutes then healthy scratch too.

Dude is allergic to youth and energy
Apparently Poulin was loaned back to WBS.

From Taylor Haase:
Sullivan says Sam Poulin didn’t play because he was loaned to Wilkes-Barre. Sounded like it wasn’t his call. Given the illnesses going around, might be done to free up cap space for a recall at another position. I noted this in the game feed, but Poulin coming off the ice with the game group at the morning skate and Emil Bemstrom staying out late seemed to indicate that the plan was to scratch Bemstrom again and play Poulin. Roster management stuff apparently dictated otherwise.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I didn't complain about his usage when he was not producing, but now... He scored 3 goals in 6 games playing just 10 minutes per game. But since that he's averaged 7 minutes per game. He's +3 so being a net negative doesn't explain that either. Crazy but it is what it is.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't complain about his usage when he was not producing, but now... He scored 3 goals in 6 games playing just 10 minutes per game. But since that he's averaged 7 minutes per game. He's +3 so being a net negative doesn't explain that either. Crazy but it is what it is.
He’s playing like 5 min a game recently because apparently Jeff Carter needs more ice time lol

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Pulju seems good for 10g and 10-20a a year. He's not bad defensively, and a big body that isn't afraid to throw it around.

At worst he's a 4th liner or a 13th forward. They should really work on his net front presence and tipping ability on the PP in practice.

At 800K/year all I see is upside.

Reactions: Pens1566 and Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Pulju seems good for 10g and 10-20a a year. He's not bad defensively, and a big body that isn't afraid to throw it around.

At worst he's a 4th liner or a 13th forward. They should really work on his net front presence and tipping ability on the PP in practice.

At 800K/year all I see is upside.
He's playing at the rate of over 13 goals with very low TOI and with a slow start after being aside from the NHL for such a long time. In his best season he scored goals at the 2nd best rate of the Oilers so there could be clearly more upside, but it's hard to make any numbers if he plays 5-10 minutes per game. Of course he needs to deserve more time, but I thought he'd done that with the goals he scored :)

As for PP he had strong PP goals/60 numbers in the Oilers, but the sample rate was so small it'd be nice to see how it'd go in Pittsburgh. A great deal with that salary even if his role stays low, but it'll be one of the best in the NHL if he gets a bigger role and manages to score like at his best in the Oilers.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
He's playing at the rate of over 13 goals with very low TOI and with a slow start after being aside from the NHL for such a long time. In his best season he scored goals at the 2nd best rate of the Oilers so there could be clearly more upside, but it's hard to make any numbers if he plays 5-10 minutes per game. Of course he needs to deserve more time, but I thought he'd done that with the goals he scored :)

As for PP he had strong PP goals/60 numbers in the Oilers, but the sample rate was so small it'd be nice to see how it'd go in Pittsburgh. A great deal with that salary even if his role stays low, but it'll be one of the best in the NHL if he gets a bigger role and manages to score like at his best in the Oilers.
Isn't that what I said?
Well maybe without the additional facts you added :D.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I never said it wasn't :DD But yeah I meant to support what you said and add a bit, I understand it obviously didn't come out that way.
I'm just messing around...lol :).

Point is Pulju is the least of our issues. He's young, plays hard, and has upside. He lacks a certain amount of confidence. You can see how different he played after he scored.

He reminds me of DOC last year (in some ways).

I would love to see them together crashing and banging as part of a strong forecheck. Would create havoc out there.

Reactions: Whyme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad