Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Jesse’s biggest strength is or atleast was hammering one timers from the left hand wall on the pp. He’s not Ovi or Laine on that spot but still a big threat. On his draft year after getting huge confidence boost from wjc him and Aho were deadly duo on pp.
I can’t even put in into words how confusing it is that he hasn’t had a single shift there these past two season.
Last season when Oilers powerplay was tragic, Letestu was there for half a season and then every foward other than Jesse. I’m not saying that he should be put there now cause the pp is actually somewhat working but there was a perfect chance for it at the end of the last season and Todd didn’t use it.
If Jesse busts as a Oiler both parties need to take long hard look in the mirror: Jesse simply for not being good enough and Oilers for compleatly ****ting the bed.

While you make a good point, there must be a logical explanation why 2 NHL coaches are not using him there, and could equally be valid

I think it's pretty clear JP's weakness is processing the offensive game as it unfolds and his inability to win puck battles with any type of consistency. Seeing as winning battles/retrieval/positioning is such a huge part of the pp, maybe that's why he isn't trusted there?

Also, inflating his point production w/ PP points is not gonna solve his weaknesses either. So why would the Oil inflate his stats making him cost more if they plan to keep him?

I'm sure once JP starts showing massive progress at 5v5, he will earn himself a boatload of PP time

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Woodcroft put him there right away in the AHL. Think he got some good 1-timers off and a point or 2 on the PP as a result.

I think McLellan flat out said Jesse's communication was not good enough to learn the PP system and zone entries. I believe Hitch said a few weeks ago that Jesse has some learning to do to get a PP spot. Seems this is all very complex on our team. Not so complex that Letestu and Lucic aren't allowed to do nothing but give pucks away in the zone and during failed zone entries for 50+ games straight last year. But complex enough that every forward except Jesse can get PP time. Wonder if his bad English just had him completely on the sidelines during PP practice under McLellan, not even worth the waste of McLellan's brilliant mind. Would explain why he has lots of catching up to do now that HItch is coach.
To be somewhat fair Lucic was tied for 8th in the league in PP goals in 2016-17 and Letestu was tied for 12th in the league in PP goals in 2016-17, while it became clear it wasn't working at a certain point last year they atleast proved recently they could be solid PP contributors, hard to say if the coach was wrong in trying to re-kindle prior success or trying to get success out of someone who has never shown any aptitude at the NHL level. The person most people took issue with playing on the PP was Letestu, but he had 4 solid years of PP production based on track record he was deserving of the ice-time he got in lieu of the lack of quality options we had, Lucic's never been a great PP producer and should of been shuffled out of the top unit rotation sooner. Lucic's spot is also where Pulju should be used on an NHL PP he's just better at an NHL level at burying rebounds than he is sniping the puck in like was expected of Letestu in his spot, plus Letestu can win the initial faceoff which helps set the tone for the PP.

Also as an aside Pakarinen had a better shot than Pulju yet no one was really sticking up for him getting a PP opportunity and he was good in that trigger role in the AHL, a lot of players in the AHL will play a role successfully down there, but doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL. There is a multitude of things needed to be good on the PP and isn't as simple as person "A" has a good shot so they should be plugged in, like Ovechkin is doing more on his PP than just being a great shooter.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
He's not going anywhere, which is what I like to hear. Giving up on him would be a grave mistake

IMO, 2 years from now everyone will thanking the hockey gods we didn't give up on him, and traded him for a little bit of nothin'

Based on what exactly, blind faith? Jesse has shown miniscule progress this season, just like in the previous ones. Don't get me wrong, I love Pulju and really wish he could've reached what was originally expected from him, but I don't see him achieving that. 3rd/4th line grinder is what he's destined to become.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Based on what exactly, blind faith? Jesse has shown miniscule progress this season, just like in the previous ones. Don't get me wrong, I love Pulju and really wish he could've reached what was originally expected from him, but I don't see him achieving that. 3rd/4th line grinder is what he's destined to become.
If he doesn't figure out the offense he probably has no role in the NHL. He doesn't show much of a grind to his game at all.

Reactions: Coffey

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've said that a few times and I stand by it. I watched 3 of his 4 games in the AHL this year and he was the best player on the ice(and the game I missed he was named 1st star). He might've only been PPG in that sample size but he easily could've had double the points, made a ton of plays that linemates just couldn't cash in on.
Apparently if you’re not above PPG you can’t be considered dominant. All the reports from everyone who actually watched him play said he was dominant (you included) I couldn’t care less about the opinion of other posters (not you) who didn’t watch a second of his games.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
According to who? He wasn't even a ppg player.

If JP is dominant in the AHL, I guess Ty Rattie must be generational then :laugh:

According to those who actually watched the games. Could care less what an ignorant and abrasive poster has to say. A poster who can’t put it together that 4 points in 4 games is actually PPG.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
To be somewhat fair Lucic was tied for 8th in the league in PP goals in 2016-17 and Letestu was tied for 12th in the league in PP goals in 2016-17, while it became clear it wasn't working at a certain point last year they atleast proved recently they could be solid PP contributors, hard to say if the coach was wrong in trying to re-kindle prior success or trying to get success out of someone who has never shown any aptitude at the NHL level. The person most people took issue with playing on the PP was Letestu, but he had 4 solid years of PP production based on track record he was deserving of the ice-time he got in lieu of the lack of quality options we had, Lucic's never been a great PP producer and should of been shuffled out of the top unit rotation sooner. Lucic's spot is also where Pulju should be used on an NHL PP he's just better at an NHL level at burying rebounds than he is sniping the puck in like was expected of Letestu in his spot, plus Letestu can win the initial faceoff which helps set the tone for the PP.

Also as an aside Pakarinen had a better shot than Pulju yet no one was really sticking up for him getting a PP opportunity and he was good in that trigger role in the AHL, a lot of players in the AHL will play a role successfully down there, but doesn't necessarily translate to the NHL. There is a multitude of things needed to be good on the PP and isn't as simple as person "A" has a good shot so they should be plugged in, like Ovechkin is doing more on his PP than just being a great shooter.

I don't blame them for starting with that 1st unit. But it became obvious pretty quickly that both of those guys totally lost their touch. Letestu became a complete disaster 5v5 too and was not deserving of any PP time after a couple weeks into the season. Wouldn't even expect them to gift Pulju that 1st PP time, they should have been changing things up in some way though instead of letting the team embarrass themselves for 50+ games in a row. One of the laziest coaching displays I've seen as an Oilers fan, and that's really saying something. And I do question if they were ever exploring alternatives in practice. I really doubt they were.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
According to those who actually watched the games. Could care less what an ignorant and abrasive poster has to say. A poster who can’t put it together that 4 points in 4 games is actually PPG.
4 points in 4 games is hardly reflective of dominant. He could have been, but those numbers don't scream it.
Is Ty Rattie a Generational AHL player?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
According to those who actually watched the games. Could care less what an ignorant and abrasive poster has to say.

I guess Gary Fleming(his old AHL coach) is "ignorant" then? "If Jesse thinks he can play like that in the NHL, he's in for a big wake up call:(paraphrase), talking about his puck possession/protection

Rob Tychowski must be also?. This is what he said after JP's last stint

"What they need from him, though, is to be a more complete player, someone who doesn’t turn the puck over as much or coast around the ice as often as he tended to with the Oilers.
They obviously didn’t accomplish that in four games, but GM Peter Chiarelli says the first step was helping a struggling 20-year-old get his groove back before they can try again with him at the NHL level."

Such abrasiveness Rob! What an ignorant sob :laugh:

Now lookie lookie, JP is coasting around unaware where to go and is getting benched and demoted for being extremely weak on the puck

The only "ignorant" person on this topic is you.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I guess Gary Fleming(his old AHL coach) is "ignorant" then? "If Jesse thinks he can play like that in the NHL, he's in for a big wake up call:(paraphrase), talking about his puck possession/protection

Rob Tychowski must be also?. This is what he said after JP's last stint

"What they need from him, though, is to be a more complete player, someone who doesn’t turn the puck over as much or coast around the ice as often as he tended to with the Oilers.
They obviously didn’t accomplish that in four games, but GM Peter Chiarelli says the first step was helping a struggling 20-year-old get his groove back before they can try again with him at the NHL level."

Such abrasiveness Rob! What an ignorant sob :laugh:

Now lookie lookie, JP is coasting around unaware where to go and is getting benched and demoted for being extremely weak on the puck

The only "ignorant" person on this topic is you.

Says the guy who thinks 4 points in 4 games isn’t PPG.

Fleming had nothing to do with his stint in the AHL this year. Not sure why you’re bringing him up when it’s irrelevant to his play there this year. Unless that’s all you got? An opinion of a fired coach from a time when Jesse struggled at times to stand out at the AHL level. Thanks for your input though. When you learn that 4=4 I’ll respond to you again.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's not any better here. If anything NHL is caving his already disappearing confidence [if that is indeed whats causing his inability to produce]. Stick him in the AHL and get him in a groove and have him come back next season all fired up. Right now, he's just 'there'.

The fact he only got 6 mins from Hitch, who was championing him upon his hiring, is kind of telling how he views him as a player now.

Well, with JP's tendency to be in the wrong spots more often than not, I can why Hitch isn't exactly fond of JP on the PP where space is an asset.

All very fair points Frag.

If he was bleeding goals against or really costing the team Yakupov style I would agree fully. Since his call and coaching change his game has been better, not great, only sometimes good, but better.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of calling him up after four games. I had really hoped they would leave him down for at least 10-15 games.

Maybe parking him in front of the net on the 2nd unit could be a possibility?

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Says the guy who thinks 4 points in 4 games isn’t PPG.

Fleming had nothing to do with his stint in the AHL this year. Not sure why you’re bringing him up when it’s irrelevant to his play there this year. Unless that’s all you got? An opinion of a fired coach from a time when Jesse struggled at times to stand out at the AHL level. Thanks for your input though. When you learn that 4=4 I’ll respond to you again.

Oh, so we are picking and choosing sample sizes now? You said dominant in the AHL. You never said this year

I guess JP learned positioning and board battle in the span of FOUR games? All his warts completely fixed in FOUR games of shear dominance?:laugh:

Clearly it's translating so well for him here. Too bad we can't send him down as he made such a mockery of the AHL this year...in his FOUR games

Edit. PS: Fleming had everything to do w/ calling him out on his weaknesses and how they translate to the NHL. I thought that was point. Clearly I was wrong, and some simple offensive stats in an extremely small sample size is the only thing that matters

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oh, so we are picking and choosing sample sizes now? You said dominant in the AHL. You never said this year

I guess JP learned positioning and board battle in the span of FOUR games? All his warts completely fixed in FOUR games of shear dominance?:laugh:

Clearly it's translating so well for him here. Too bad we can't send him down as he made such a mockery of the AHL this year...in his FOUR games

Edit. PS: Fleming had everything to do w/ calling him out on his weaknesses and how they translate to the NHL. I thought that was point. Clearly I was wrong, and some simple offensive stats in an extremely small sample size is the only thing that matters

How many years are you going to talk about past years? His play in the AHL this year is relevant to his play in the NHL this year.

No where did I say anything like his warts are fixed. Continue with your arrogance elsewhere. Especially if you want to continue with saying 4 points in 4 games isn’t PPG

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Hitch benched him last game because twice he went into the boards for an O-Zone puck retrieval and instead of using his size to protect the puck, he folded like a lawn chair and the puck was gone. That is getting*seriously* old. "He'll grow into his man strength" is fine when he's 19. He's now 100 days from turning 21. If you're that size and you don't learn to use your body to protect and cycle pucks then your days are numbered in this league. I really did love JP when he came on board but the reason they can't put him on the PP is because he can't retain pucks, he gets killed when any kind of pressure arrives.

Pretty much every single one of Jesse's advanced metrics have seriously declined from last year (the year where the Oilers completely sucked, remember). Fenwick, Corsi, PDO, Shots/60, points/60, GA/60, everything is way down.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Puljujarvi needs to go to Bakersfield and STAY there for the rest of the year. He needs to play, his 6-10 min a night isn't helping him develop.

Yamamoto needs to go with him.

The Oilers desperately need these 2 to turn into NHL players.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Puljujarvi needs to go to Bakersfield and STAY there for the rest of the year. He needs to play, his 6-10 min a night isn't helping him develop.

The Oilers desperately need them to BE NHL players... because Chiarelli destroyed the wingers.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Woodcroft put him there right away in the AHL. Think he got some good 1-timers off and a point or 2 on the PP as a result.

I think McLellan flat out said Jesse's communication was not good enough to learn the PP system and zone entries. I believe Hitch said a few weeks ago that Jesse has some learning to do to get a PP spot. Seems this is all very complex on our team. Not so complex that Letestu and Lucic aren't allowed to do nothing but give pucks away in the zone and during failed zone entries for 50+ games straight last year. But complex enough that every forward except Jesse can get PP time. Wonder if his bad English just had him completely on the sidelines during PP practice under McLellan, not even worth the waste of McLellan's brilliant mind. Would explain why he has lots of catching up to do now that HItch is coach.
I could see it as he just doesn't communicate well enough with his teammates for him to work well with them. Not even necessarily a language barrier just pure communication.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
All very fair points Frag.

If he was bleeding goals against or really costing the team Yakupov style I would agree fully. Since his call and coaching change his game has been better, not great, only sometimes good, but better.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of calling him up after four games. I had really hoped they would leave him down for at least 10-15 games.

Maybe parking him in front of the net on the 2nd unit could be a possibility?

He looks more engaged on ice which I've said before. Just no results. And that's what the Oilers need from there wings.

His lack of coordination and his seemingly oversensitive nature, not sure NHL is good idea period . When the going gets tough, he's either sulking or weighing himself down mentally .The Oilers don't have a spot for someone that temperamental .

Just let him build his game in the AHL. He's just not ready and there's no shame (unless you're Chia) in admitting that. At the rate things are, "developing" him in the NHL, he will just end up as a bottom sixer or tweener .

Same would apply for Yamamoto but I'm guessing the only reason Hitch "trusts" him more is because he was NA developed .

Like I said, Chia shit the bed with all this

Reactions: nabob

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Said it a million times. I hope he turns out as an Oilers fan. he is only 20.

Too timid. Useless right now. No fire in his belly at all. MPS style.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017

Lets keep stocking those draft picks boys and the #1 pick this year. "One day we will get there" (and McDavid and Drai will probably be on a nice decline.

Gotta get the shiny new toys instead of trading some for legit help and actually being a consistent winning team.

Who wants winning anyways. Potential is more exciting.

Reactions: TKB21 and fuswald

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

This is basically it.

Neither is going to improve much playing limited minutes without much offensive opportunity.

If you're not going to use/trust your two 20 year old, highly drafted, offensive wingers on the PP, why are they in the NHL?

At the moment neither brings more than a guy like Rattie.

Send them down and let them dominate the AHL for the year. If you want an example, look at Kapanen in Toronto. I don't think he's anything super special, but he's a guy that's needed until he was 22 to break out at the NHL level. There is no good reason why Pulju and Yamamoto shouldnt be afforded the same path.

The fact that they're not ready at 20 isn't a problem, nor is its a sign that they'll never be. What is a problem is the team's (lack of a) development path, plan, and patience for them.

Reactions: Faelko and frag2

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
The fact that they're not ready at 20 isn't a problem, nor is its a sign that they'll never be. What is a problem is the team's (lack of a) development path, plan, and patience for them.
People often bring up Blake Wheeler. At 20, he was still playing in NCAA at less than PPG. And he was 0.5 PPG for the first 5 years in the NHL. It's only when he joined Winnipeg in 2011-12 that he saw success with 64 points in 80 games at the age of 25+, after which he has been a perennial 60+ pointer (70+ in the past 3), and reached 91 points last sesason. This season, he is on pace for 104 points.

Reactions: fuswald

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So pathetic that they brought JP up after 4 AHL games and Yam after 11.

Nothing changed from that.

Reactions: A91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad