Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi | His Mouth Contain His Tongue Only When He Eats Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Puljujärvi probably understands just fine what coaches are telling him, understanding and speaking are not the same thing. He's just not that talented with languages and Finnish is completely different from English. His lack of English does not mean he has low iq or anything. And as you can see, this is coming from a Flames fan.

I just really hate when lack of understanding a language is used against a player when the languages are so far apart each other

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Puljujärvi probably understands just fine what coaches are telling him, understanding and speaking are not the same thing. He's just not that talented with languages and Finnish is completely different from English. His lack of English does not mean he has low iq or anything. And as you can see, this is coming from a Flames fan.

I just really hate when lack of understanding a language is used against a player when the languages are so far apart each other
There has been talk of him being frustrated in practice and doing similar mistakes after being told not to. So either English isn't great or he's an idiot that didn't listen.

In any language one word is so crucial. Having Koskinen is going to be huge off the ice. Maybe JP won't understand things at the time, but after he can clarify with a fellow Countryman.

Kinda was hoping they'd keep Korpioski for that reason, but PC needed to get rid of him as Todd liked him far too much.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Obviously he has to earn his opportunities, but it sure would be nice to see him get a shot with Nuge and McDavid to begin camp. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought JP looked most comfortable when he was playing with Nuge. Playing with 2 cerebral players who are playmakers could allow him to focus on finding good areas to shoot from and letting it go. A confidence boost would be huge for this kid.

I also agree, having Koskinen (a guy who will be in the dressing room everyday) will be a huge step in the right direction for easing the language barrier.

I too think this will be a breakout year for the kid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So I did some reading, and stat analysis and looked into comparables. Listened to things on Pulju.

He hits 25 goals and 45+ points next year almost guaranteed.

I've been tough on the kid and kind of blinded by his lack of breaking out.

I don't think the coaching staff has mishandled him, I think they did the best for him possible. His issue was he was still taking this too casually, I think he takes this season to heart and comes back and will act as a professional. Todd's the kind of guy who loves when his players learn the lessons he teaches.

Pulju will, imo be with McDavid or Draisaitl and be a scoring winger

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Interesting stats posted by Travis Yost over at TSN regarding secondary assists. Puljujarvi was the second most unlucky player in the league when it came to secondary assists last year. Probably doesn't help when your most common linemate was stone cold Milan Lucic.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-noise-surrounding-secondary-assists-1.1134501

travis-yost.JPG

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Reactions: oobga

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So I did some reading, and stat analysis and looked into comparables. Listened to things on Pulju.

I don't think the coaching staff has mishandled him, I think they did the best for him possible. His issue was he was still taking this too casually, I think he takes this season to heart and comes back and will act as a professional. Todd's the kind of guy who loves when his players learn the lessons he teaches.

Definitely, if he can learn to be more intense, he will be a force, every couple games he would have a shift where he would dominate physically and lay the body on the D, and it left you wanting more.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
His own damn fault for passing the puck to Lucic :sarcasm:

Ah, touche. I was thinking more that if he passed the puck to the center and the center passed to Lucic then the chance of him getting a secondary assist was pretty low. If he passed to Lucic though the likelihood of Lucic then setting somebody else up for a goal is also low.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ah, touche. I was thinking more that if he passed the puck to the center and the center passed to Lucic then the chance of him getting a secondary assist was pretty low. If he passed to Lucic though the likelihood of Lucic then setting somebody else up for a goal is also low.

Regardless, Lucic was Belanger blackhole bad

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

25 goals, 45pts guaranteed? hahahaha

This from a player when last seen wasn't getting any goals or any pts and that finished with 20 in a spectacularly dismal season.

But apparently player stock improves in offseason. Interesting phenomenon. I wonder how that occurs. My theory is that the longer fans are removed from specific visual reminders of the players abject futility, i.e. actual games, the more the heart goes fond through extended absence. ;)

I think if the offseason goes much longer what heights this will end up in.

Maybe Pulju is a 30G 55pt player by September..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting stats posted by Travis Yost over at TSN regarding secondary assists. Puljujarvi was the second most unlucky player in the league when it came to secondary assists last year. Probably doesn't help when your most common linemate was stone cold Milan Lucic.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-noise-surrounding-secondary-assists-1.1134501

travis-yost.JPG

Sorry, read the article, what a brutal site, advertising right in the print columns resulting in the print expanding and contracting continually and literally impossible to stay reading on the right line. My lord who webmasters this kind of junk site.

Anyway this is largely garbage in garbage out. Simply postulating average numbers of pts awarded while on ice or secondary assists while on ice and saying that differentiation from that mean is simply " bad Luck" is an inherent misunderstanding of statistical methodology, science, statistical analysis or extraneous 3rd variables.

My head starts to hurt at all these bloggers that don't even remotely comprehend statistical methodology.

Well here goes. If a player substantially deviates from means it could be do to a number of things. Maybe even that they sucked. Lets draw this to an extent. Lets say X player was a complete passenger (I'm not saying Pulju was, just a hypothetical) by this metric he would be standing in a corner sucking his thumb all the time but on the basis of this metric substantially deviating from mean points accrual on goal events. This metric would determine this player just had "horrendous bad luck"

Sorry, but what a garbage stat.

Heres the real deal, some players, like a Sedin are constantly involved in plays and the probability that a play goes on without them being involved for 15 secs is remote. Puck movement flows through those players. They QB every play, they make plays on every shift. Other players are not very involved in plays typically, and thus the stats. its really not a lot more complicated than that. No, it isn't bad luck. Conversely if a player happens to play with multiple other puck movers in a unit and including a quality pmd their pts accrual on goal events will be diminished by QOT factor on the ice.

Finally statistical noise, i.e. unexpected data is indicative of data not represented by a theorem, not being explained by a hypothesis, not being nailed down. Too much noise in data through repeated experiments and one deduction could be that the parameters of the study are not close to detecting signal. It would often be a stage where research study is abandoned and wherein the data failed to support a hypothesis. How about that..?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
25 goals, 45pts guaranteed? hahahaha

This from a player when last seen wasn't getting any goals or any pts and that finished with 20 in a spectacularly dismal season.

But apparently player stock improves in offseason. Interesting phenomenon. I wonder how that occurs. My theory is that the longer fans are removed from specific visual reminders of the players abject futility, i.e. actual games, the more the heart goes fond through extended absence. ;)

I think if the offseason goes much longer what heights this will end up in.

Maybe Pulju is a 30G 55pt player by September..
So a player cannot improve unless they improve. Huh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So a player cannot improve unless they improve. Huh.

Of course players can improve. The probability is greater of that if said player has even shown signs of getting it, or adapting to NHL play. Without which you're just throwing blind dart optimism on a board and seeing where it lands.

Do you want to BET that Pulju doesn't get 25G AND 45pts next season.

The probability is he won't.

So stand up on it or sit down.

hey I get that suddenly you've become an overnight optimist regarding the team, but nothing has changed to warrant that change of opinion. Two weeks ago you weren't optimistic. 3mths ago for sure you weren't. Like I said before the absence of seeing the Oilers actually play is resulting in people starting to preted this team is better than it is. Which is fine. But I wonder what thoughts are in December if Chia doesn't improve this lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Obviously he has to earn his opportunities, but it sure would be nice to see him get a shot with Nuge and McDavid to begin camp. Maybe it’s just me, but I thought JP looked most comfortable when he was playing with Nuge. Playing with 2 cerebral players who are playmakers could allow him to focus on finding good areas to shoot from and letting it go. A confidence boost would be huge for this kid.

I also agree, having Koskinen (a guy who will be in the dressing room everyday) will be a huge step in the right direction for easing the language barrier.

I too think this will be a breakout year for the kid.
Pulju is more of a playmaker tho... hw lacks the accuracy to be a elite sniper. However he has tremendous power in his shot.

Reactions: Ippenator

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
There has been talk of him being frustrated in practice and doing similar mistakes after being told not to. So either English isn't great or he's an idiot that didn't listen.

In any language one word is so crucial. Having Koskinen is going to be huge off the ice. Maybe JP won't understand things at the time, but after he can clarify with a fellow Countryman.

Kinda was hoping they'd keep Korpioski for that reason, but PC needed to get rid of him as Todd liked him far too much.

To be fair, he did have Pakman and Auvitu around for most of last year. Of course they would also be working on their own thing, so perhaps they didn't have the time. A backup goalie likely will have more time to spare I'd imagine.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the bigger problem was they didn't have that guy to "take him under his wing" so to say. His Roy to Yakupov.

I'd argue Jokinen was supposed to be that guy, but so don't think they were ever on the ice at the same time. Hell, I'd argue Cammy could have also been that guy, but I don't think it was ever forced.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yeah because no player has ever made the same mistake twice in practice.

He must have also thought games ended with 5 minutes left in the 3rd period for the last two seasons in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Of course players can improve. The probability is greater of that if said player has even shown signs of getting it, or adapting to NHL play. Without which you're just throwing blind dart optimism on a board and seeing where it lands.

Do you want to BET that Pulju doesn't get 25G AND 45pts next season.

The probability is he won't.

So stand up on it or sit down.

hey I get that suddenly you've become an overnight optimist regarding the team, but nothing has changed to warrant that change of opinion. Two weeks ago you weren't optimistic. 3mths ago for sure you weren't. Like I said before the absence of seeing the Oilers actually play is resulting in people starting to preted this team is better than it is. Which is fine. But I wonder what thoughts are in December if Chia doesn't improve this lineup.
Cause you look back and reflect without the anger of the active losing you can see the potential and that it wasn't as bad as it seems.

In the moment we could lose 2-1 to Winnipeg in a tight fought game and me and others would freak out and call everyone buns and horrible player. In the summer when you take a step back and look at it analytically, you can see it clearer.

Pulju will probably score 20 goals next year cause I see little chance Pulju isn't used more on the PP or top 6. I believe if the summer goes for him the way I believe, he will be able to get to a level to add 5 more goals.

It'll probably be closer to 22-18-40

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Cause you look back and reflect without the anger of the active losing you can see the potential and that it wasn't as bad as it seems.

In the moment we could lose 2-1 to Winnipeg in a tight fought game and me and others would freak out and call everyone buns and horrible player. In the summer when you take a step back and look at it analytically, you can see it clearer.

Pulju will probably score 20 goals next year cause I see little chance Pulju isn't used more on the PP or top 6. I believe if the summer goes for him the way I believe, he will be able to get to a level to add 5 more goals.

It'll probably be closer to 22-18-40
Thats exactly what I project for him. 20 goals and 18 assists for 38 points. Hopefully that's enough to keep him on the squad and let him get better rather than auctioning him for scraps.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the bigger problem was they didn't have that guy to "take him under his wing" so to say. His Roy to Yakupov.

I'd argue Jokinen was supposed to be that guy, but so don't think they were ever on the ice at the same time. Hell, I'd argue Cammy could have also been that guy, but I don't think it was ever forced.
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jokinen, a seasoned veteran, came here, figured he could help, but then evaluated the student and then wanted out of here as quick as possible? Everything in Jokinens play suggested he didn't want to be here and we know that the Oilers were setting up the mentorship role for him with Pulju. That was one of the most apparent things we've seen. But Jokinen plays his way out, is not involved in any way, is benched and scratched and soon sent away. People will remember he played differently for at least a brief spell the moment he left here.

There were also rumblings last year of a topsix player, either McD, or Drai having expressed concerns about Pulju not being ready for topsix play.

More and more I'm wondering if the situation isn't similar to Yakupov in that the team is not connecting to player and the player to team. You are right with Roy and Yakupov and that Derek did come in here and mentor the kid out of sympathy. Yak commented on it a few times. But its interesting that came from an external player and not from somebody that had been on the team. Theres something about Pulju, no need to get into details, that makes me wonder how much he fits with club.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jokinen, a seasoned veteran, came here, figured he could help, but then evaluated the student and then wanted out of here as quick as possible? Everything in Jokinens play suggested he didn't want to be here and we know that the Oilers were setting up the mentorship role for him with Pulju. That was one of the most apparent things we've seen. But Jokinen plays his way out, is not involved in any way, is benched and scratched and soon sent away. People will remember he played differently for at least a brief spell the moment he left here.

There were also rumblings last year of a topsix player, either McD, or Drai having expressed concerns about Pulju not being ready for topsix play.

More and more I'm wondering if the situation isn't similar to Yakupov in that the team is not connecting to player and the player to team. You are right with Roy and Yakupov and that Derek did come in here and mentor the kid out of sympathy. Yak commented on it a few times. But its interesting that came from an external player and not from somebody that had been on the team. Theres something about Pulju, no need to get into details, that makes me wonder how much he fits with club.
Have you considered it a possibility that jokinen just sucks now? He was moved multiple times last year

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
i feel like the language issue with this player is a red herring. Looking back on his career in say 20 years, i'm confident that whether he hits or busts, it won't be because of his language ability.

Seems like a convenient and oversimplified narrative to explain a young player's non-linear development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad