Jesse Puljujärvi has 4th most goals among Oilers players and has a 40 pt pace

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Blake Wheeler played at a 38 point pace in his D+7 year. Players develop at different rates.
Blake Wheeler never played with McDavid. Must be nice to have a 4th overall pick from a pretty stacked draft averaging 40 points while playing full-time wing with a guy who's about to put up 100+ points in a shortened season. Pat yourselves on the back Oilers management. You guys have a stud. :thumbu:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
still a bust in my eyes. 40 points in year 4 for a top 4 pick isnt great.

Meh... it's the way he's playing that is helpful. A solid two-way game.

He's not a dynamic offensive force, but he's a huge body who is learning how to use it. Lots of raw power to still harness.

Here are a few top 4 picks since the 1990 draft who also didn't score 40 until their D+4 season:
Keith Primeau - retired with 623 pts in 909 gp
Radek Bonk - retired with 497 pts in 969 gp
JP Dumont - retired with 523 pts in 823 gp
Olli Jokinen - retired with 750 in 1231 gp
BOTH SEDINS - retired with over 1000 points each
Andrew Ladd - retired with 538 in 950 gp
Bobby Ryan - 569 pts in 866 gp
James Van Reimsdyk - 520 in 794 gp
Ryan Johansen - 462 in 706
Jonathan Drouin - 232 in 393
Dylan Strome - 120 in 204

That's 12 guys from 1990 - 2015, so one every other year or so.

Sedins an obviously outlier, but there are a lot of big, gangly, players in that list that needed time to grow into their frame. Many on the list ended up as solid two-way, imposing forwards with plenty of 50-60 point seasons under their belt.

I think that would be a big win for the oilers. Lots of interesting comparables.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Pulju has been so much better than his production shows this year. With all the negative comments I wonder if there's someone with major critic of his play who's actually been watching him play this season? He's very impressive. That speed, the physical play, smart passes. And he doesn't play PP at all but is going to have his chance in the future. That could really boost up his point totals.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Pulju has been so much better than his production shows this year. With all the negative comments I wonder if there's someone with major critic of his play who's actually been watching him play this season? He's very impressive. That speed, the physical play, smart passes. And he doesn't play PP at all but is going to have his chance in the future. That could really boost up his point totals.
This thread a good example people only looking at stats when they are giving an opinion on player or evaluating them.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Meh... it's the way he's playing that is helpful. A solid two-way game.

He's not a dynamic offensive force, but he's a huge body who is learning how to use it. Lots of raw power to still harness.

Here are a few top 4 picks since the 1990 draft who also didn't score 40 until their D+4 season:
Keith Primeau - retired with 623 pts in 909 gp
Radek Bonk - retired with 497 pts in 969 gp
JP Dumont - retired with 523 pts in 823 gp
Olli Jokinen - retired with 750 in 1231 gp
BOTH SEDINS - retired with over 1000 points each
Andrew Ladd - retired with 538 in 950 gp
Bobby Ryan - 569 pts in 866 gp
James Van Reimsdyk - 520 in 794 gp
Ryan Johansen - 462 in 706
Jonathan Drouin - 232 in 393
Dylan Strome - 120 in 204

That's 12 guys from 1990 - 2015, so one every other year or so.

Sedins an obviously outlier, but there are a lot of big, gangly, players in that list that needed time to grow into their frame. Many on the list ended up as solid two-way, imposing forwards with plenty of 50-60 point seasons under their belt.

I think that would be a big win for the oilers. Lots of interesting comparables.

. . I mean, he hasn't scored 40 points? He has 24.

Reactions: CherryToke

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Blake Wheeler never played with McDavid. Must be nice to have a 4th overall pick from a pretty stacked draft averaging 40 points while playing full-time wing with a guy who's about to put up 100+ points in a shortened season. Pat yourselves on the back Oilers management. You guys have a stud. :thumbu:

giphy.gif

Reactions: nobody

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That's pretty poor production given that he's played with McDavid for most of the year.

He's played about 60% of his even strength ice time with McDavid. Jesse doesn't get premium PP often at all, and for half the year Archibald would sub in with McDavid at the end of games and get the easy empty net points.

If Puljujarvi was glued to McDavid like Monahan was to Gaudeau back in the day to leech points we'd probably be looking at a 60ish point pace.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Welp... somebody missed the point.

Perhaps re-read the poster I was responding directly to. It may help you connect the dots.

No, the dots were connected, you compared him to guys who didn't score 40 until their draft+4.

Puljujarvi hasn't scored 40 yet. The poster you responded to said 40p in draft+4 is still a bust, which is stupid (although you went back 31 f***ing years as well, and he's in his D+5?) none of that matters, he still hasn't scored 40 points. So the comparison doesn't matter.

He's proven he's a solid NHL player. He's still young and has a lot of room for improvement.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Some people really don’t watch Puljujarvi play and it shows

He hasn’t hit his peak yet, this is his first “real” season. It’ll be great to see where he is at 24/25

Beginning with the OP calling him the dominant one on the ice.

The title of the thread is misleading since most Oilers fans agree that he's more valuable than his Nick Bonino-esque share of points. Bringing up that he's 4th in goal scoring in his own team is certainly a weird way to reflect that on the main board.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Beginning with the OP calling him the dominant one on the ice.

The title of the thread is misleading since most Oilers fans agree that he's more valuable than his Nick Bonino-esque share of points. Bringing up that he's 4th in goal scoring in his own team is certainly a weird way to reflect that on the main board.

Its a GeorgeLeafer Thread. You shouldn't expect any kind of rational thought process.

Reactions: MardyBum

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I love people who make it clear as day they don't actually watch the players they post about. His points don't tell the whole story of his impact this year. Dude has been a legit top sixer for the Oil.

Reactions: Biltmore

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ve watched him a lot this year and while he has definitely improved he’s also benefitted a lot from the McDavid and Drai effect.
Decent player but McDrai have a history of making decent players look better than they are.
Having said that it’s been a big improvement over the last time he played in the NHL. Just need to see more consistency from him for a larger sample size.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryToke

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Draft +5 year and putting up 40 point pace.

Not bad considering he was out of the league last year and was unanimously considered BustJarvi. I get that people want to sit around a decade later and stare at draft position like it's their wedding photos, but any team is just happy to have a contributing player and his contract isn't gross either.

Reactions: Biltmore

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This would be more appropriate on the Oilers Board in the "Everyone gets a thread about them!" section.

He ain't an Oiler fan, so you'll have to let the mods know so they can move the thread I guess?? Assuming they agree with you, which they may not.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
He is what he is, playing like defensively responsible forward with third-liner production.

Either you can see him as a 4OA putting up an disappointing 40 points in his D+5 year, or as a player who people basically gave up on, was presumed a total bust and after being sent back to Finland actually returned as a decent player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad