Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I think he's going to start like a house on fire. And pleasantly surprise us with how well he keeps his point totals up.

I think he's got the makings of a star. Don't know why, but yes.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
im with nabob, play him with the good players so he can make some plays with them, we aren't turning him in to a ****in grinder FFS.

from what is said and what ive seen Puljujarvi and Laine seem closer to Barkov, who is lights out, than some of the other top prospects of recents years. Really intelligent and well rounded approaches to their game, if Laine had Puljujarvi skating he would be in with mathews eichel etc, Pulju is more raw, he needs more polish to his game he has the skating.

who knows maybe pulju goes taylor hall out there and i look stupid :naughty:

o ya and dats an awesome picture

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
im with nabob, play him with the good players so he can make some plays with them, we aren't turning him in to a ****in grinder FFS.

from what is said and what ive seen Puljujarvi and Laine seem closer to Barkov, who is lights out, than some of the other top prospects of recents years. Really intelligent and well rounded approaches to their game, if Laine had Puljujarvi skating he would be in with mathews eichel etc, Pulju is more raw, he needs more polish to his game he has the skating.

who knows maybe pulju goes taylor hall out there and i look stupid :naughty:

o ya and dats an awesome picture

Agreed and well said. However if Laine had Eichel's skating he would be there with McDavid (that's how good he is). The good thing is, he's still young and there's plenty of skating to be coached in. Same can be said of Puljujärvi. Man I'm so pumped of for their futures. McDavid and Puljujärvi will probably be the deadliest combo of their times if all goes as planned.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lets not get carried away. Puljujärvi or Laine comes nowhere close to McDavid I don't care if they had Orr's skating. Even Eichel was clearly the better prospect than either of them and Eichel wasn't in the same stratosphere as McDavid.

Puljujärvi belongs to the same group as MacKinnon, Barkov, Hall, Stamkos, Kane etc. Not with Tavares, Eichel, Matthews and certainly not with McDavid (who is in the Crosby tier).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lets not get carried away. Puljujärvi or Laine comes nowhere close to McDavid I don't care if they had Orr's skating. Even Eichel was clearly the better prospect than either of them and Eichel wasn't in the same stratosphere as McDavid.

Puljujärvi belongs to the same group as MacKinnon, Barkov, Hall, Stamkos, Kane etc. Not with Tavares, Eichel, Matthews and certainly not with McDavid (who is in the Crosby tier).

Kane and Stamkos arent in the same group as Eichel? :laugh:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Kane and Stamkos arent in the same group as Eichel? :laugh:

I meant as prospects. Obviously in hindsight it's tough to rank Eichel higher than two proven superstars but strictly as prospect in their draft year, no I don't they are in the same group.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
In regards to Kane you could make that argument, but going into his draft Stamkos was as hyped and had as many expectations as any top prospect, Crosby and Tavares included.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
In regards to Kane you could make that argument, but going into his draft Stamkos was as hyped and had as many expectations as any top prospect, Crosby and Tavares included.

Maybe I am misremembering things but I don't recall Stamkos being as hyped as Tavares. Tavares had somewhat disappointing draft year but the hype was longstanding and carried over pretty strong all the way to the draft day. Plus he didn't really have a strong challenger for 1st overall. Doughty was pretty hyped but he was a defenseman and people seemed to question his conditioning.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll be quite happy if Puljujarvi is a Landeskog-tier player ... would be very happy with that. Though Jesse, feel free to be even better than that if you want :nod:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

This is over-exaggerating. I don't know what exactly you have against Laine and it doesn't even really matter. But I take that McDavid comment with a grain of salt even though Connor came into last season as advertised. Nothing wrong with healthy-skepticism but no need to spread it.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
[NHL][/NHL]
"has been a fantastic training week, especially the gym today"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH5EXp0gGej/

I'm starting to believe, trust he's going to have a helluva offseason.

Same here. And he is one proud and happy Oiler, wearing the cap in the gym and all.

And if you go to his tagged pictures you can see there, that Jesse has played with kids today. Nice to see, that his knee is somewhat heeled already. Whether or not he can contact play is another thing, but atleast he really can skate now.

#IsItOctoberYet

Last edited:

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton

Well if Laine had elite skating he would be ovechkin level, which I feel pretty comfortable putting in the top tier with all of the best players in the league. How you organize the franchise talents from there is whatever.

Pulju has elite skating and the potential to be an elite player - he's the complete package he just need to keep getting better.

Hossa potential rather than Landeskog as has been mentioned. Landeskog isn't as dynamic.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
[NHL][/NHL]

Same here. And he is one proud and happy Oiler, wearing the cap in the gym and all.

And if you go to his tagged pictures you can see there, that Jesse has played with kids today. Nice to see, that his knee is somewhat heeled already. Whether or not he can contact play is another thing, but atleast he really can skate now.

#IsItOctoberYet

It right now looks like he is going to have quite a bit longer offseason than Matthews, Laine, Juolevi will have.
I like that he is training with Teravainen/Aho/Juolevi with pro trainers, they will compete against each other and get more out of their workouts.

Well if Laine had elite skating he would be ovechkin level, which I feel pretty comfortable putting in the top tier with all of the best players in the league. How you organize the franchise talents from there is whatever.

Pulju has elite skating and the potential to be an elite player - he's the complete package he just need to keep getting better.

Hossa potential rather than Landeskog as has been mentioned. Landeskog isn't as dynamic.

I like the quote from Director of NHL Central Scouting Dan Marr,
“the ultimate power forward package.”

“He is a big, mobile, highly skilled, well-rounded winger who is both a scorer and a playmaker,” said Marr. “He is a powerful skater with excellent offensive instincts, puck skills and determination.”

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
"has been a fantastic training week, especially the gym today"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH5EXp0gGej/

I'm starting to believe, trust he's going to have a helluva offseason.

Jesus, is Jesse still growing? Wouldn't be surprising considering he just turned 18.
How tall is Juolevi? Some places have him listed at 6'3 and Jesse is clearly 2 inches taller than him in this pic unless one of them is wearing a higher heel shoe. I know some places have Jesse at 6'3, but I don't think there's anyway he's not 6'4.

Not that it really matters, but Jesse's skating is borderline freakish for a guy that tall. I can't remember any players that big who could skate like him.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
This is over-exaggerating. I don't know what exactly you have against Laine and it doesn't even really matter. But I take that McDavid comment with a grain of salt even though Connor came into last season as advertised. Nothing wrong with healthy-skepticism but no need to spread it.

There is nothing skeptical in thinking Laine with elite skating isn't the same tier as McDavid. McDavid beats Laine in every single regard except for shot. Even if we magically added McDavid's skating to Laine's skillset, he still wouldn't have the hands and awareness of McDavid and couldn't utilize the speed nearly as well.

The same applies to Puljujärvi and I am a huge fan of his. So your "I don't know what exactly you have against Laine" excuse doesn't work this time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I really don't think he was off in that comment. Even Eichel is nowhere near the skater that McDavid is when you look at ability to change gears, accelerate, and move laterally. His skating is simply the best of the best. There is also nobody in the league who can handle the puck as well as McDavid at top speed, his puck control is out of a video game, it honestly looks like the puck is on a string attached to his blade. I also don't think Laine processes and sees the game as well as McDavid. Laine still has the edge in shooting (by a large margin) and physicality, but even if he had Eichel's skating McDavid still blows him away in every other category other than the 2 I mentioned. Eichel's a great skater, but he's simply not on the same level as Connor in that regard.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jesus, is Jesse still growing? Wouldn't be surprising considering he just turned 18.
How tall is Juolevi? Some places have him listed at 6'3 and Jesse is clearly 2 inches taller than him in this pic unless one of them is wearing a higher heel shoe. I know some places have Jesse at 6'3, but I don't think there's anyway he's not 6'4.

Not that it really matters, but Jesse's skating is borderline freakish for a guy that tall. I can't remember any players that big who could skate like him.

Canucks tested him at 6'3, I was looking at that picture and thinking Jesse has to be 6'4 atleast.

At 1st I was worried he's not going to be able to improve his skating/strenght this offseason that much due to the injury but right now after seeing these newest pictures I can't wait to see how his skating is going to look like, especially if his skating coach is the ex olympics speed skater Hänninen.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Canucks tested him at 6'3, I was looking at that picture and thinking Jesse has to be 6'4 atleast.

At 1st I was worried he's not going to be able to improve his skating/strenght this offseason that much due to the injury but right now after seeing these newest pictures I can't wait to see how his skating is going to look like, especially if his skating coach is the ex olympics speed skater Hänninen.

Yeah it should be exciting to see what he looks like by the time he's 23-24. His frame isn't slight, but you can tell he could certainly add a decent amount to it still. Who knows maybe once he fills out to hopefully 220+ he might add a more consistent physical element to his game. He's certainly going to be a ***** to get the puck off when he gets bigger and stronger with that long reach, but I could definitely see him developing into a power forward if he wants to.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Cl02ixtUgAAXa5i.png

Niemeläinen is listed at 6'6. Jesse is at least 6'4, looks to be closer to 6'5 if not there already.

He was listed 6'3 early in the season so he must have grown quite a bit during the season.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8479344

Oilers list him as 6'4. (And Niemeläinen is listed as 6'5.)
He has grown during the season and still may half an inch/inch.

I am really looking forward which kind of a player Jesse will be when he is in his prime. If he really is going to be 6'4/6'4.5 215-220 PWF he is something what Finland has never produced. Oh my... I think that he might be somewhere around 208-210 when he comes over, if his strenght training goes as planned. He really has long offseason to gain more power and muscle.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8479344

Oilers list him as 6'4.
He has grown during the season and still may half an inch/inch.

I am really looking forward which kind of a player Jesse will be when he is in his prime. If he really is going to be 6'4/6'4.5 215-220 PWF he is something what Finland has never produced. Oh my... I think that he might be somewhere around 208-210 when he comes over, if his strenght training goes as planned. He really has long offseason to gain more power and muscle.

Depends what kind of build he wants to achieve. At this point there shouldn't be any question that he will be 220 at least in his prime, but he could certainly end up built like Jagr or Ovi who are both shorter than him and both between 230-240. He has the potential to be a ****ing bull out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad