Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kekäläinen did a favor for his country actually... None of us Finns wanted to see Puljujärvi in Columbus.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Gregor posted this on OilersNation about Puljujarvi:

http://oilersnation.com/2016/7/14/patience-for-puljujarvi?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I love how he comes out and says to be patient with Puljujarvi and says it's VERY rare a 18 year old get's 30 plus points a season but doesn't even put Taylor Hall on there. And there is a HUGE difference this year than 6 years ago when bringing up 18 year olds. Puljujarvi will be sheltered. He won't be relied on to get 20+ goals or carry the Top 6 line. yes, there is an adjustment period, but if there is need of one, you put him in the AHL, let him improve for 10-20 games then bring him back up when he is ready. Like a LOT of people here said, he is ready to make the jump. He can handle the older men. Sometimes I wonder about Gregor...one day he praises the Oilers and their ideals, the next he just trashes them and makes them look incompetent.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH2ghE9AZfG/

Link goes to Jesse's latest Instagram picture. Apparently he already is back on the ice. Good good.
Still don't know can he already go 100%, but atleast he can skate now.

That is fantastic to see, hopefully he is good to go.
It would mean instead of having a shorter offseason than his competition he could/would have a longer offseason.

I hope he uses Kekalainen passing him as a extra motivation.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Gregor posted this on OilersNation about Puljujarvi:

http://oilersnation.com/2016/7/14/patience-for-puljujarvi?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I love how he comes out and says to be patient with Puljujarvi and says it's VERY rare a 18 year old get's 30 plus points a season but doesn't even put Taylor Hall on there. And there is a HUGE difference this year than 6 years ago when bringing up 18 year olds. Puljujarvi will be sheltered. He won't be relied on to get 20+ goals or carry the Top 6 line. yes, there is an adjustment period, but if there is need of one, you put him in the AHL, let him improve for 10-20 games then bring him back up when he is ready. Like a LOT of people here said, he is ready to make the jump. He can handle the older men. Sometimes I wonder about Gregor...one day he praises the Oilers and their ideals, the next he just trashes them and makes them look incompetent.

Um... Thats because Taylor Hall was a 19 year old in his draft+1 season

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kekäläinen did a favor for his country actually... None of us Finns wanted to see Puljujärvi in Columbus.

:yo:

Pulju is coming to the heartland of hockey. The western Canadian prairie provinces are hockey crazed provinces. Wait until you see what an Edmonton crowd looks like when the team is winning. It is a frenzied atmosphere ready for battle.

As I'm sure you can tell by HFOil alone, we are as passionate about the game of hockey as they get. Hopefully yourself and your fellow Finnish countrymen can come for a visit. I have no doubt Oiler fans will be welcoming and more than happy to share a beer with you and talk hockey.

Pulju in the frozen north beats out an American team that can't sell out their arena. We have the same passion and love for hockey as you Finns do, and as northern cousins hopefully we see more Finnish fans come visit Alberta.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He should really earn that right.

I agree, maybe play him on his off wing with either of Letestu or Lander all year...

or

Play a guy where he should be played, a guy who has proven at every level that he is a top talent and is considered an elite level prospect for a reason.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Um... Thats because Taylor Hall was a 19 year old in his draft+1 season

He was drafted in 2010. He was 18 still being drafted. He didn't turn 19 until November. I could understand if he was 19 BEFORE playing the season, but he came in as an 18 year old. Just the way I look at it. Either way, he's always downplaying everything so later when the player excels he looks like a genius. Can't stand that.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree, maybe play him on his off wing with either of Letestu or Lander all year...

or

Play a guy where he should be played, a guy who has proven at every level that he is a top talent and is considered an elite level prospect for a reason.

Yeah we could gift him prime minutes without earning it, we've seen how that has worked with all the other wunderkids.

He hasn't proven anything in the NHL.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yeah we could gift him prime minutes without earning it, we've seen how that has worked with all the other wunderkids.

And playing with Hendricks and Letestu is gonna help? He's a Top 6 forward. It's not 'rewarding' him anything. You give him a chance on the top 2 lines and if he can't click, you put him in the AHL.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Did Panarin prove anything in the NHL before last season? What about McDavid or Hall in his rookie season?

Which one of the "wonder kids" had a poor rookie season because they got to play in the top 6 where they belonged?

Just because you have a limited knowledge of a player and his abilities doesn't mean he shouldn't get the ice time he deserves. Puljujarvi is regarded as being in the same tier as Hall was and higher than RNH or Yak.

Why do you insist that he play with scrubs who do not compliment his abilities?

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
And playing with Hendricks and Letestu is gonna help? He's a Top 6 forward. It's not 'rewarding' him anything. You give him a chance on the top 2 lines and if he can't click, you put him in the AHL.

If he's not capable of playing with a proven NHL caliber player like Hendricks, that's the kids problem.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why not make the lineup the best possible way to compliment the strength of the players on the team regardless of how many NHL games they have played?

You would rather have either Kassian or Yakupov play in the top 6? Both of those guys have proven in the last two seasons that they haven't earned that spot.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Why not make the lineup the best possible way to compliment the strength of the players on the team regardless of how many NHL games they have played?

You would rather have either Kassian or Yakupov play in the top 6? Both of those guys have proven in the last two seasons that they haven't earned that spot.

Kassian and Yakupov are both far more proven NHL players.

If this kid shows he belongs, fine, but until he proves that, I'll be skeptical.

I'd rather he start in the AHL anyway, personally.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Kassian and Yakupov are both far more proven NHL players.

If this kid shows he belongs, fine, but until he proves that, I'll be skeptical.

I'd rather he start in the AHL anyway, personally.

Kassian was inches away from never playing hockey again and no one would trade a 3rd round pick for Yak. Yet you want one of them in the top 6 ahead of an elite level prospect that has shown at every level that he will be a top 6 player.

No **** he isn't a proven in the NHL. He is a rookie! By that logic McDavid shouldn't have been in the top 6 last season either, Panarin in Chicago either. How is he supposed to prove that he belongs of you think he shouldn't be given the chance to prove it? I seriously think you don't have a clue about Puljujarvi and his skills.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McDavid is on a level this kid couldn't dream of, poor comparison.

Do you disagree that Piljujarvi is an elite level prospect? Not generational, but is regarded as being one of the top 10 1st round picks in the last 6-7 years.

How is he supposed to prove himself as a top 6 player if you won't even give him a chance ahead of two players that wouldn't be top 6 players on any team in the league?

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you disagree that Piljujarvi is an elite level prospect? Not generational, but is regarded as being one of the top 10 1st round picks in the last 6-7 years.

How is he supposed to prove himself as a top 6 player if you won't even give him a chance ahead of two players that wouldn't be top 6 players on any team in the league?

Prove he belongs in the NHL and earn his way up the roster.

Sadly, a foreign concept to the Oilers with every shiny new toy.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Prove he belongs in the NHL and earn his way up the roster.

Sadly, a foreign concept to the Oilers with every shiny new toy.

So you believe that we should have a player in the top 6 that has repeatedly proven he is not a top 6 quality NHL player then simply because you don't know how good Puljujarvi is.

We probably also shouldn't have started Talbot as the starter last season because he hadn't proven himself as a starter. Should have ran with Scrivens as the starter even though he had proven he couldn't handle it.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So you believe that we should have a player in the top 6 that has repeatedly proven he is not a top 6 quality NHL player then simply because you don't know how good Puljujarvi is.

We probably also shouldn't have started Talbot as the starter last season because he hadn't proven himself as a starter. Should have ran with Scrivens as the starter even though he had proven he couldn't handle it.

None of us know how good he is, he hasn't played any top competition yet.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
None of us know how good he is, he hasn't played any top competition yet.

I can argue that Puljujarvi played in a men's league and was able to play as a go-to guy on his team. Same was said about Matthews. I'd say he can duke it out. It's basically "Here is a spot on the roster, if you can't hack it, we move you to another spot where you will excel, then when that time comes, THEN we will try that spot again". Not "Well you can't prove anything to us so we won't give you that opportunity so back to Europe you go and talk to us 2 years down the road".

I wonder which scenario he'll go for? :sarcasm:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was drafted in 2010. He was 18 still being drafted. He didn't turn 19 until November. I could understand if he was 19 BEFORE playing the season, but he came in as an 18 year old. Just the way I look at it. Either way, he's always downplaying everything so later when the player excels he looks like a genius. Can't stand that.

He was going by Calendar year though and only included those born after December 31st, I thought that was pretty clear. As for the article, I don't think he's that far off as I only expect Puljujarvi to score something like 20-20. If he scores more than that I think it would be a very pleasant surprise for a guy who won't turn 19 until the NHL season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot