Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I'd think there wasn't barely anything to improve. In fact I'd be worried if that was the case. I just think than Jesse played pretty much in the same level if not even higher than some veterans, but as he was a rawer case he was the one slowly dropped out of the roster. IMO in many other teams he would've stayed in the roster throughout the season, but the Oilers had a very deep forwards roster with several highly paid veterans and some reliable youngsters with more experience and no language issues like Jesse did.

Well,.... I think we are saying much the same thing. He wasn't going to play like vet, nor would he be expected to... and unlike Caggiula or Benning, the trust in his decision making wasn't quite there yet. Coaches WANT him to drive the net and carry the puck or make a move, but it only takes a few times where he turns toward traffic and loses the puck vs a safe dump or cycle before the mgmt team is going to assume, correctly IMO, that he needs ice time and freedom to make those mistakes away from prying eyes.

I think they have handled him very well... if anything, I'd have sent him down earlier. But it doesn't temper my excitement about him one bit. He's going to be fine, but is (again IMO) more raw than other rookies we had last year, and we couldn't keep them all in a year where playoffs were a must.

To me he's like Nurse, you know he's a good kid and the physical skills are unquestionable... the key is patience and easing the transition.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe he has a wife.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/jokinen-ready-to-help-oilers-in-any-way/c-290324890
"Jussi Jokinen, who signed a one-year deal with the Edmonton Oilers, is ready to do anything he can to help the team win, including mentoring one of their young players.

"I remember when I was a young guy I came to the Dallas Stars and Jere Lehtinen was my roommate my first year I was able to learn from him what you have to do to be an NHL player," said Jokinen. "I learned how you have to train, how you have to play and carry yourself and stuff like that so I learned a lot from him."

Jokinen spoke with Oilers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Peter Chiarelli before signing about helping Puljujarvi along.

"I'm there any time he needs something," said Jokinen. "I think he'll be a great player for the Oilers for a long time. He's a young guy and it's not easy to come into the League but I'll do everything I can to help him grow as a player and person."

Those are promising quotes.
I hope they work something out, Jokinen is a quality vet who I trust with mentoring Pulju, he understand the importance of that/impact it can make. Pakarinen just doesn't have the experience.

There was an even more recent Finnish article where they noted that both have a Karpat Oulu pedigree, and they apparently have already trained together for last couple of summers.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think he looks better in that 39 jersey.

The Jokinen signing should go a long way to helping the kid adjust this year. Bringing in a quality vet who a) can actually communicate with him, and is familiar with him from Finland and the Karpat organization should help him find his groove in the NHL.

Going back this is what they should have done for Yak years ago.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think he looks better in that 39 jersey.

The Jokinen signing should go a long way to helping the kid adjust this year. Bringing in a quality vet who a) can actually communicate with him, and is familiar with him from Finland and the Karpat organization should help him find his groove in the NHL.

Going back this is what they should have done for Yak years ago.

They should have done this and SO much more for Yak.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I have not been very impressed with this what I have seen of Puljujarvi, and worry that he is not going to turn out BUT I am rooting for him. I really want to see him do well in Edmonton.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have not been very impressed with this what I have seen of Puljujarvi, and worry that he is not going to turn out BUT I am rooting for him. I really want to see him do well in Edmonton.

Statements like this really make me scratch my head.

By the numbers as an 18 year old 4th OA he had a solid debut both in the NHL and AHL professional leagues.

By eye I think he has showed better than his stats. Just turned 19 and does not need to be rushed into the NHL above his head.

With Cap Hell starting the following year I'm far more worried he will make the team and tear the league a new one than busting. If he has a great year and we will be forced to trade him just for cap implications.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
With Cap Hell starting the following year I'm far more worried he will make the team and tear the league a new one than busting. If he has a great year and we will be forced to trade him just for cap implications.

It's unlikely, but sometimes I've even thought that maybe the cap problems played a role in why he was taken off from the 1st line and then the playing roster so quickly and why they burnt the 1st year of his contract. I mean maybe they realized that Jesse's production in the few games with McDavid would (if continued for longer) affect his future salary. Yes I'm prepared for comments such as "the team's advantage comes first", "Jesse wasn't ready" and so on. As I said I think that scenario is unlikely and I agree after the difficult years the team's success had to be the main thing. But maybe, just Maybe they made some kind of a plan as follows:

- With Jesse and Lucic McDavid got back to scoring goals, so they could now try e.g. Eberle there to increase his value before selling him. If the team keeps doing well they'd rather keep a player they're planning to sell with McDavid instead of Pulju, whose salary would go up.

- By sending Jesse to AHL and maybe keeping him with average skilled guys during the 2nd year they could keep his contract reasonable. In this scenario they'd seen that Jesse can be a very important part of the Oilers future, but they realize the problem with high salaries McDavid, Drai and possibly Jesse would need.

Unlikely yes, but I guess somewhat possible. It would not be a stupid plan to be honest, but of course they'll try Jesse with McDavid at some point this year if that would be the best for the team.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

By the numbers as an 18 year old 4th OA he had a solid debut both in the NHL and AHL professional leagues.

By eye I think he has showed better than his stats. Just turned 19 and does not need to be rushed into the NHL above his head.

Apart from the numbers, what did your eyes tell you about him as a player? I certainly didn't see a poor pick or a bust or anything, but that kid is getting a **** tonne of hype around here, and I'm still not quite sure why. Nothing really stood out about him when he played for his cup of coffee with the Oil. He still has a lot to prove before worrying about him breaking out huge and earning a huge contract. I haven't seen anything to indicate that to be honest.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Apart from the numbers, what did your eyes tell you about him as a player? I certainly didn't see a poor pick or a bust or anything, but that kid is getting a **** tonne of hype around here, and I'm still not quite sure why. Nothing really stood out about him when he played for his cup of coffee with the Oil. He still has a lot to prove before worrying about him breaking out huge and earning a huge contract. I haven't seen anything to indicate that to be honest.

The problem with these young kids, especially if they come from outside of NA is that they often need great line mates to succeed well. That's probably because they aren't accustomed and/or good enough to create enough free time and space on their own.

Laine still serves as a good example. He didn't look too convincing when he played in lower lines, but became a real star when playing in the 1st line. Jesse was more of a low scoring energy player when he played in the lower lines (e.g. with Caggiula and Pouliot), but created and also scored pretty good points when he got a chance to play with better players. It'd be great to see what he could do in a longer run in the 1st line, but fortunately there are pretty good players left for his line mates in the 3rd line too.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Bumping this video. Not many got to see it as I wasn't able to put it up on YouTube.

Jesse Puljujarvi World Championships
Its one game, but that was not very impressive at all.

They should have done this and SO much more for Yak.
Russians that played with Yakupov in Edmonton starting with his first season; Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Belov, Grebeskov and Nikitin. How many translators does one man need?

As someone who has some experience living in various cultures and adjusting to new languages its mho that having a translator and a babysitter from your home country is not always the best thing. Depending on personality, but some people will over rely on the babysitter. Particularly if living together they will resort to using their native language instead of practicing the language they need to improve. They will stick to the babysitter instead of forcing themselves to get along with new people. Its not everyone obviously, but I've seen it happen many times.

A strong minded and determined person doesn't need a babysitter and may actually be hindered by having one. Sadly Yakupov was the opposite of strong minded. I guess we just hope that JP does better, although I gotta say I'm not filled with optimism based on what I've seen so far.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I don't see much hype at all personally. My high end expectations are a Loui Eriksson type player. My low a solid 2 way middle 6 winger.

I think only a very few had the rather ridiculous expectations that he would step in and be Hall 2.0. And I don't think I've seen anyone still saying that for some time.

I seen a 18 kid struggling in the NHL but with as many positives as negatives. He had waaaaaay better positioning than Yak ever did. If I remember correctly had a few elite defensive moments and a few really nice shifts in the O-zone as well.

Anyone remember Stamkos first 28 NHL games?

JP's first foray into the NHL was similar to Leons. Just a half step off the play, not a full step or completely lost when on the ice.

Most payers struggle to get up to NHL game speed in the first half of their rookie season. Pretty much all but the elite of the elite do at age 18.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

I have been pretty sure that Jesse will turn into very good NHL player and Oilers didn't harm his development last year. But I may have to change my opinion ! At least for the Oilers not harming his development. Yesterday I had conversation with Lauri Marjamäki. He coached Jesse in Kärpät and in WHC couple months back.

He said that Oilers could go all the way in near future, but he was pretty negative about Jesse. He said that Jesse was worse player in WHC than he was year ago in Kärpät.

Also said that AHL was a bad place for him to grow and develop his game, because Jesse needs big minutes and constant feedback/guiding. And because he barely speaks English it is hard to get feedback/guidance.

And Oilers told him to gain weight. Jesse did, but after that Marjamäki said that 20 secs into each shift and Jesse was extremely exhausted. Of course he needs to get stronger but Jesse had enough weight already to play in NHL. Now it affected into his durability and agility/acceleration.

Next year is huge for Jesse. Really hope that he plays all season in NHL. And Jokinen can be his mentor, giving feedback after each shift.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I found it interesting how good this kid was in regards to shot generation. Top 5 on our current roster for forwards (excluding Eberle et al) was:

McDavid: 1 shot/6.89 minutes
RNH: 1 shot/7.14 minutes
Maroon: 1 shot/7.47 minutes (Most likely McDavid factor)
Puljujarvi: 1 shot/7.64 minutes
Lucic: 1 shot/8.02 minutes

As an aside, Draisaitl was 1 shot/ 8.87 minutes which was close to last on our team. Considering he was paired with McDavid for a chunk of the season that is actually pretty bad. However, it's his accuracy that can make up for his lack of shot generation and he is definitely more of a playmaker.

I think there is a case to be made for Puljujarvi on 2nd line RW if he shows his stuff at training camp. All he really has to do is beat out Slepyshev/Caggiula/Kassian which shouldn't be too hard for him imo. I think the lineup will end up being something like this when all is said and done:

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Jokinen-Strome-Caggiula
Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't see much hype at all personally. My high end expectations are a Loui Eriksson type player. My low a solid 2 way middle 6 winger.

I think only a very few had the rather ridiculous expectations that he would step in and be Hall 2.0. And I don't think I've seen anyone still saying that for some time.

I seen a 18 kid struggling in the NHL but with as many positives as negatives. He had waaaaaay better positioning than Yak ever did. If I remember correctly had a few elite defensive moments and a few really nice shifts in the O-zone as well.

Anyone remember Stamkos first 28 NHL games?

JP's first foray into the NHL was similar to Leons. Just a half step off the play, not a full step or completely lost when on the ice.

Most payers struggle to get up to NHL game speed in the first half of their rookie season. Pretty much all but the elite of the elite do at age 18.

A 5 year old has better positioning than Yakupov, but that's besides the point....har har. Good post here though Aerchon. Thanks for reminding me about Drai's first bit. But that is basically my point. Leon looks like he's turned out quite well, Jesse still remains to prove it like Drai has. Sorry for lumping you in there with the posters who think he's possibly the Cat's ass, your post just brought me my own thoughts on Puljarvii so far. I was a little concerned with the reports that he may have weighed too much and was out of shape. He may have misunderstood the concept of putting on good weight (muscle?) rather than bad weight (pizza). All that pizza was probably a contributer to his weight as far as fats, carbs, and excessive sodium content is concerned. I'm far from an athlete, but because of my life style, health, and age, I'm well aware of the issues of bad diet habits. Now if someone like me needs to follow certain restrictions to stay and feel healthy and to keep in good shape, I'd imagine a kid becoming a professional NHL athlete has to bear down on those concepts hard. Gotta keep it real.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
A 5 year old has better positioning than Yakupov, but that's besides the point....har har. Good post here though Aerchon. Thanks for reminding me about Drai's first bit. But that is basically my point. Leon looks like he's turned out quite well, Jesse still remains to prove it like Drai has. Sorry for lumping you in there with the posters who think he's possibly the Cat's ass, your post just brought me my own thoughts on Puljarvii so far. I was a little concerned with the reports that he may have weighed too much and was out of shape. He may have misunderstood the concept of putting on good weight (muscle?) rather than bad weight (pizza). All that pizza was probably a contributer to his weight as far as fats, carbs, and excessive sodium content is concerned. I'm far from an athlete, but because of my life style, health, and age, I'm well aware of the issues of bad diet habits. Now if someone like me needs to follow certain restrictions to stay and feel healthy and to keep in good shape, I'd imagine a kid becoming a professional NHL athlete has to bear down on those concepts hard. Gotta keep it real.
After a big workout, you usually want to fuel your body. For athletes at this level, it takes a ton of calories to maintain your body weight and pizza is full of them. Look at Phelps' diet in 2008 when he was just a bit older than Puljujarvi.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2873231/rio-2016-how-michael-phelps-diet-changed-in-the-past-8-years/

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I thought we went through the diet thing 223 times already. He is nowhere near anyone of us, he can eat a pizza a day if he wants to. He'll burn it.

They asked a pretty famous cyclist the other year about keeping in shape and what to eat and he pretty much told them that he is/was the wrong person to ask since he eats loads of high calory food. Pizza, steaks etc etc. 3-4 times what we need to eat. People doing sports for a living don't play by the same rules as others. That is also why many get fat after they retire...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have been pretty sure that Jesse will turn into very good NHL player and Oilers didn't harm his development last year. But I may have to change my opinion ! At least for the Oilers not harming his development. Yesterday I had conversation with Lauri Marjamäki. He coached Jesse in Kärpät and in WHC couple months back.

He said that Oilers could go all the way in near future, but he was pretty negative about Jesse. He said that Jesse was worse player in WHC than he was year ago in Kärpät.

Also said that AHL was a bad place for him to grow and develop his game, because Jesse needs big minutes and constant feedback/guiding. And because he barely speaks English it is hard to get feedback/guidance.

And Oilers told him to gain weight. Jesse did, but after that Marjamäki said that 20 secs into each shift and Jesse was extremely exhausted. Of course he needs to get stronger but Jesse had enough weight already to play in NHL. Now it affected into his durability and agility/acceleration.

Next year is huge for Jesse. Really hope that he plays all season in NHL. And Jokinen can be his mentor, giving feedback after each shift.

These things, that you told here that you heard from Marjamäki, are exactly the things I had also noticed when I watched Pulju's play last season and compared it to how he played the previous season in FEL. He was seriously worse after all. Him becoming quickly exhausted already in the beginning of each of his shifts was clearly visible. It could definitely have to do with gaining too much of weight in a too short time, but I also suspect that his training has not been guided in that sense well either, that he could be very well even over conditioned and partially exhausted because of that too. At least he is very well known as a crazy training kid whom would need a lot of guidance with doing more the right quality of training than huge amounts of training. He was even in a couple of his interviews this season wondering himself if he is after all training too hard and not getting enough of rest for himself. If he is not guided and adviced well enough, there can seriously be this kind of problems with him.

I don't see him as a really stupid player, but he definitely is not as mature and well prepared for the tough adult world of sports as Laine or Aho are. So Pulju would definitely need very specific and detailed guidance with almost everything for maybe even 2 years from now. I'm at least very happy that the Oilers got Jokinen to help Pulju. That sure was a good move.:)

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The problem with these young kids, especially if they come from outside of NA is that they often need great line mates to succeed well. That's probably because they aren't accustomed and/or good enough to create enough free time and space on their own.

Laine still serves as a good example. He didn't look too convincing when he played in lower lines, but became a real star when playing in the 1st line. Jesse was more of a low scoring energy player when he played in the lower lines (e.g. with Caggiula and Pouliot), but created and also scored pretty good points when he got a chance to play with better players. It'd be great to see what he could do in a longer run in the 1st line, but fortunately there are pretty good players left for his line mates in the 3rd line too.

Laine played in fact well even when he was not playing with Scheifele. The only really bad stint he had last season was at the end of the season, when he was obviously exhausted. Laine in fact earned his position in the 1. line with his encouraging play. Although the sample size was not seriously large with Laine playing without Scheifele in the beginning of the season, as he played only about three games in other lines at that point of the season. But when he played in the first line with Scheifele, he immediately started producing great amounts of goals and points. Pulju couldn't unfortunately do anything even close to that, when he got to play with an even better player than Scheifele, when he played with McDavid.

There's no use to try to lift Pulju to the same tier where Laine is, as he clearly is not that level of a talent. I love Pulju as a player and I can still see him at some point be even a potential 60-80 point player in his prime. But Laine can very well be a 90 to even over 100 point player if everything goes well for him. Both are great young talents though, and I seriously wish all the best for Jesse. I just hope he gets more quality guidance and advice than he has got so far. He for sure would need it a this point of his career.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Laine played in fact well even when he was not playing with Scheifele. The only really bad stint he had last season was at the end of the season, when he was obviously exhausted. Laine in fact earned his position in the 1. line with his encouraging play. Although the sample size was not seriously large with Laine playing without Scheifele in the beginning of the season, as he played only about three games in other lines at that point of the season. But when he played in the first line with Scheifele, he immediately started producing great amounts of goals and points. Pulju couldn't unfortunately do anything even close to that, when he got to play with an even better player than Scheifele, when he played with McDavid.

I know you don't like if I say that you are wrong in this one, but what can I do as I really think you are. I followed Laine very carefully in the first half of the season, and he had more than three games without Scheiffele at the first third of the season. Winnipeg fans, especially the Finnish ones, were actually very mad about this for quite a while. At that time Laine couldn't create much and kept making bad mistakes. For 10-15 rounds Jesse was doing better than Laine, believe it or not but also stats wise. After that it was a different case, Laine was put with Scheiffele and did extremely well with a bit of trouble at times as you wrote, while Jesse had a more average end of the season.

There's no need to say which one did better, of course Laine had a very much better season and is more ready as a player. You can use other adjectives if you like. But the four games Jesse had with McDavid, he did well gamewise and stats wise. It's just four games but the ppg was elite in the league (without PP time), and the comments here and in the newspapers were very positive, with him mentioned one of the best players of the game in some of them. You can't really expect much more from an 18-year-old player with no language skills and no prior experience in NA, or actually almost anyone (not named McDavid) to be honest. The next step is to make sure that is Pulju's basic level just about all the time.

I don't want to argue and thus have said all I wanted to say to this. Oh and I do agree with most of what you wrote in the last paragraph, but I still hope that especially with McDavid Pulju may have the cealing even higher than what you wrote. Like I said, the 1 ppg (plus one point robbed) without PP time in the small sample gives some hope for the future years. It's not a totally impossible thought that one day he'll be able to keep or even exceed that ppg with the help of PP time.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I know you don't like if I say that you are wrong in this one, but what can I do as I really think you are. I followed Laine very carefully in the first half of the season, and he had more than three games without Scheiffele at the first third of the season. Winnipeg fans, especially the Finnish ones, were actually very mad about this for quite a while. At that time Laine couldn't create much and kept making bad mistakes. For 10-15 rounds Jesse was doing better than Laine, believe it or not but also stats wise. After that it was a different case, Laine was put with Scheiffele and did extremely well with a bit of trouble at times as you wrote, while Jesse had a more average end of the season.

There's no need to say which one did better, of course Laine had a very much better season and is more ready as a player. You can use other adjectives if you like. But the four games Jesse had with McDavid, he did well gamewise and stats wise. It's just four games but the ppg was elite in the league (without PP time), and the comments here and in the newspapers were very positive, with him mentioned one of the best players of the game in some of them. You can't really expect much more from an 18-year-old player with no language skills and no prior experience in NA, or actually almost anyone (not named McDavid) to be honest. The next step is to make sure that is Pulju's basic level just about all the time.

I don't want to argue and thus have said all I wanted to say to this. Oh and I do agree with most of what you wrote in the last paragraph, but I still hope that especially with McDavid Pulju may have the cealing even higher than what you wrote. Like I said, the 1 ppg (plus one point robbed) without PP time in the small sample gives some hope for the future years. It's not a totally impossible thought that one day he'll be able to keep or even exceed that ppg with the help of PP time.

I will just answer to you with some facts here:

Laine first 10 games: 6+2=8

Pulju first 10 games: 1+2=3

Laine clearly more goals and points.

Laine first 15 games: 11+5=16

Pulju first 15 games: 1+4=5

Laine scored even clearly more goals and points. So how on earth you can claim that Pulju had better stats than Laine in the first 10-15 games of the season? If you are referring to advanced stats, you should realize that they are completely secondary stats when compared to goals, assists and points.

Then also for your information how line combinations with Laine in them, were distributed. This shows that Laine played in fact an incredibly small amount of even strength hockey without being on the same line with either Scheifele or Ehlers. He played some games with Little during the first half of the season, but those games went in fact very well with Laine's production, as he had at least a PPG average in even those games. Scheifele had to rest a few games because of injury then.

2016-2017 Line Combinations & Production
Even Strength Line Combinations
Freq Line Combination
33.1% EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - SCHEIFELE,MARK
26.2% EHLERS,NIKOLAJ - LAINE,PATRIK - LITTLE,BRYAN
15.4% LAINE,PATRIK - PERREAULT,MATHIEU - SCHEIFELE,MARK
14.6% LAINE,PATRIK - LITTLE,BRYAN - PERREAULT,MATHIEU
10.7% LAINE,PATRIK - SCHEIFELE,MARK - WHEELER,BLAKE

I watched over 70 games from the Jets last season. In addition to that I watched over 50 games from the Oilers, over 50 from the Canes and over 40 from the Leafs. In addition to all those I still watched a huge amount of other team's games. Of course a lot of games I couldn't watch live because of the time difference, but I still watched them usually within 15 to 20 hours from when they were originally played. So I don't really make my claims on a shallow basis here. I will also back up my claims with stats and other facts if someone starts to claim as strange stuff as you did here.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Its weird... I thought Pulju was super overrated at the draft, but now I think he is super underrated.

It blew my mind some people thought he was better than Laine pre-draft. That to me is like seeing Gagner and Kane play and thinking Gagner was better. Its just obvious to me one player doesn't quite have the same tools. Only way Pulju was better than Laine is if Laine straight busted. Same with Gagner/Kane. Laine is a player that can score from anywhere in seconds in any kind of traffic. He's a special player that just has an elite shot with an elite sense of timing and finding open ice and lanes to the net; best by far at that entire skill set since Ovechkin. This was something that was pretty evident in my eyes pre-draft.

Like nothing against Pulju, I think he has a ton of assets that will make him a great NHL player. Like right now I think he has above NHL average skating and shooting. I think he has good size and strength, and has a tenacity to him. For a young player he is also quite "complete" in that his game, while raw as hell, doesn't really have huge deficiencies to it. He makes unforced errors and whiffs shots, and is sometimes in the wrong spot, but I don't think its a fundamental failing, its more hes a lanky kid (lower BMI than Nurse, LOL.) who just rehabbed a knee and doesn't know a lot of system play yet. He's a dynamic player with a ton of tools but you never watch him and go "wowow boy, this kids XXXX is elite. Something special." A lot of people compare him to Yak, but I don't see it. He has similar deer in the headlights monikers, and the same work ethic, but Pulju is a guy who number one has the size to play Yak's game at this level, but more importantly doesn't actually play yaks game; Pulju actually utilizes his teammates pretty well and has a good idea in general how to play as a team player he just needs seasoning. You get the sense with him like you got the sense with Eberle or RNH that he is quite comfortable passing and being a cog in the machine instead of the guy. Its a good trait.

A guy who Pulju reminds me of a lot is Jere Lehtinen; I'm not saying will be a Selke nominee or anything like that, I think he leans more towards the O-Zone, but he is a pretty good defensive zone player for a guy who was 17 at the start of the year. Think about the comparison for a second; what was Lehtinen good at? What did he excel at? He was a good skater. Excellent shot. Hard worker. Good Size. But really... all in all nothing that special about him. Doesn't mean he was a bad player, he was a great player that I think will one day make the HHOF. But for a guy who leads his team all time in GWG and is like 3rd in scoring behind guys like Hull and Modana.... nothing really sticks out. Lehtinen was frankly just a solid hockey player. I guess another comparison that could be made is Thornton vs Marleau; Marleau has always been an awesome hockey player. Been a top line guy for like 15 years. Nothing against Marleau, but frankly he has nothing about him that is frankly overly memorable, he does great things but largely its because he is just a strong overall hockey player. Thornton on the other hand has been likely the best combination of elite passing and puck control the NHL has had over the course of his career.

I think a lot of people thought for some reason Pulju would be this world beater to put a team on his back and drag them around but that's just not Pulju's game. Pulju is the kind of player who can put up big numbers and be a huge part of a team, but hes a team guy and will never be the lone wolf. Its just not his game. Think of his WJC in his draft year; he played very well and was arguably the best player in the tournament... But can anyone vividly recall any particular goal he scored or point he got? He was pretty much just good; he was fast, won puck battles, supported the puck well, was in the right spots, and just played good hard Hockey. If things go well for Pulju, In his prime he will be a player that you could call the best player on a team at any given night; but like Lehtinen even if he was our teams best player over the course of 5+ years and did a ton right, he is not a player who you can sit down and name a single notable or unreal goal.

This is a great thing for us; we don't need an elite player, we have 2 of them. I'm quite happy about the prospect of Pulju long term, the player he projects to be with his skillset, and even the year he had last year. This is the kind of player that takes some breathing room and some time to get his feet wet in the NHL. Just plain overall good hockey players rarely take the league by storm, it is the elite at one thing kind of guys that do. Compare these two lists:

1) Marleau, Lehtinen, Sedinx2, Doan, Ribiero, Briere

2) E. Staal, Heatley, Nash, Samsonov, Skinner, Alfredsson

At their peak, the level of these players wasn't truly that different; but you look at the first group and while you can say most of these players where damn good at almost every facet of the game, you can't look at a single one and say "boom that right there, he was always fundamentally the best at that!" or "wow, his XXX really makes him as a player. Elite talent." Look at the second group, and all of them just had that one thing that makes them special that they abused and took the league by storm with because they were frankly just so good at that one thing that they can just do it to anyone all the time and beat them with it right out of the gate; not thought, no learning to it just bashing the NHL over the wall with the same skill till it stops working and they had to adapt (and notably, all these guys had a period after a year or two where the NHL "figured them out.") A guy like Briere even early was flat out better than much of the NHL at a lot of things, but he had to learn when and where to use whatever skill.

All things considered, I don't think there is any cause for concern with Pulju.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
One thing that keeps popping into my head about Pulju is please develop this guy properly. The team finally has the luxury to take any amount of time needed to max out his potential. This may be unfair, but I see a lot of Paajarvi in this scenario. Having the size and tools to make an NHL team at an early age only to have it be a detriment to their overall development. Could just be tank syndrome talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad