Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part III On Loan To Finnish WHC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
What´s wrong with Pool-Party, he looks scary on the ice. This year hasn´t done him any good, quite opposite i would say. He´s not going to take his place on finlands`s WHC team if he plays this way, i´d even say Markus Hännikäinen is closer to get his roster spot right now....

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That's unfortunate to hear. Still hoping he can have a big year next year but he sure has been a disappoint thus far. Glad I was never super high on him as it was.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
That's unfortunate to hear. Still hoping he can have a big year next year but he sure has been a disappoint thus far. Glad I was never super high on him as it was.

Before anyone gives up on him, i hope they remember how drai first looked. He'll get there

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What´s wrong with Pool-Party, he looks scary on the ice. This year hasn´t done him any good, quite opposite i would say. He´s not going to take his place on finlands`s WHC team if he plays this way, i´d even say Markus Hännikäinen is closer to get his roster spot right now....

Don't panic.
These EHT games are only practice matches to upcoming IIHF men's world.

Personally i don't give nothing value of these hobby games.
Puljujärvi has played often with Aho but he isn't never played with Filppula and before Jesse will knows his linemates better it'll take time few games.

Also Puljujärvi has played all season in North American ice surfce so also adjusting to European ice surface takes time.
Be patient and don't freak out immediately if Puljujärvi can't play so well as you expect.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Do you know what these EHT games really are?.
They are hobby games which have no sporting or athletic value.

It will take time few games berofe Puljujärvi knows his linemates better.
Keep in mind that fact Puljujärvi hasn't never before played with Filppula.

Be patient and don't freak out immediately if Puljujärvi won't play so well as you expect.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Before anyone gives up on him, i hope they remember how drai first looked. He'll get there

The Draisaitl comparisons really need to stop. Drai had an issue with skating...that's it.

Poolparty is having an issue with how to play the game.

Massive difference

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

I don't see why everyone is using Draisaitl as a comparison. I have zero hope JP will be better. Lacks elite hockey sense. Leon oozed that in junior. JP needs to be more bull in a China shop Taylor Hall - tell him to shoot and teach him to protect the puck. If he does, he'll replace Eberle easily.

JP could easily be another Benoit Pouliot though.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The guy is still 18, has been playing in a small rink all season and just played his 2nd game in the national team. He hasn't been bad, but has been pretty invisible as have many other Finnish players. It's also good to remember he is playing against very good teams now, as Russia is full of great players with lots of experience. Last year Laine was having a tough time against the better teams, but of course Pulju is a year older than that now so more could be expected. We'll see, tomorrow is another chance.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The Draisaitl comparisons really need to stop. Drai had an issue with skating...that's it.

Massive difference

More to it than just skating with Drai his first year.
He also had an issue with how to play the game at the NHL level.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Draisaitl never had skating issues. That's just a narrative Flames fans used to claim Bennett was better than Leon.

Leons stride, size, first step a tiny bit, but mostly his style to slow things down made him look slow.

JP may take awhile but I wouldbe shocked of he doesn't develope into a solid top 6 wingers.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
tell him to shoot and teach him to protect the puck. If

Right now problem seems to be that he´s too arfraid to do any of those things or to battle with opponent players. self confidence Zero. He need´s a shrink after one year in NA. Way he´s been treated this season is totally wrong for a natures child like him. He still has a chance to be a huge player, but now it´s up to him, to pull it through. He either does it or he doesnt..... the guy doesn´t believe in his self right now.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Right now problem seems to be that he´s too arfraid to do any of those things or to battle with opponent players. self confidence Zero. He need´s a shrink after one year in NA. Way he´s been treated this season is totally wrong for a natures child like him. He still has a chance to be a huge player, but now it´s up to him, to pull it through. He either does it or he doesnt..... the guy doesn´t believe in his self right now.

How has he been treated?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I've only seen four periods of the six he's had in the national team. In those I didn't quite see what you did. I saw an energetic player who filled his role, but didn't meet big offensive expectations some people had. But not many other Finns did either.

To me it's not such a bad sign if an 18-year-old player plays solid, though not shining offensively, games against the Czech Republic and Russia in his first national games. Playing in the 1st line also meant he often played against the best players of those teams. But I do understand if some other people expect more and actually so do I, but not during the first few games.

I'm not trying to say what Pulju will or won't become at the NHL level, but surprisingly often people forget that the best level he had at Oilers was already pretty good, also statistically. It's not just my opinion, as almost everyone here seemed to think so too. Already based on that I would be disappointed if he won't turn into a top three player. If he won't be shining by the end of the next year I may start to lower my expectations, but at the moment I see no reason to do so.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The good thing is that we can still send him to the AHL again next season but I think that once he plays his next NHL game he will never play an AHL game again.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017

It's funny how the expectations from an 18-year old have changed since the arrival of McDavid, Laine and Matthews :laugh:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

Massive difference

point I'm making is not to call a guy a bust as some of you seem to be doing. or panicking that's he's not going to be any good.
there is a reason he was considered a top 3 pick by everyone.

in his first year people were commenting drai sucked, and look how he turned out.

just want people to remember that the first season isn't the sum of what a player is going to become.

you or anyone else calls Pulju a bust, or say he can't think the game/isn't good enough for the NHL, is likely to be eating a lot of crow in 2 years.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What's this talk i'm hearing that the top guys in Oilers didn't much like Pool being on the lineup, is it just me or has anyone else too heard such things?

I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't be too surprised if that was true to some extent. After all Pulju was a young-looking and maybe young-acting guy who couldn't speak barely any English. He must have been quite different from everyone else. I also didn't want to write this as I thought it's probably not true, but maybe (just Maybe, not that I believe so) even players such as McDavid felt somehow strange when it seemed there was suddenly another teen star coming to the team. Please don't attack me too hard for this :)

Puljujarvi played so well in the 1st line that it didn't make sense to drop him out of the lineup the way they did, so it did feel a bit strange. So maybe it's got something to do with what you wrote, maybe not. Even if that was the case I'm sure things would be different now that Pulju has learned some English and got more accustomed to the NA culture.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Lol the way people are talking you'd think the kid was 24 and never played half a season yet. Like what in the actual ****. He's still 18. 18. Stop and think about that for a second. How many players are gamebreakers at 18 in pro hockey? I'm gonna say not very many. He still scored .72 ppg in the AHL this year on a team that missed the playoffs. Now saying things like he isn't liked in the dressing room? Yeah I don't think McDavid feels threatened in any way by JP, that's ridiculous. This is crazy.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah I don't think McDavid feels threatened in any way by JP, that's ridiculous. This is crazy.

I knew that'd be coming. But I didn't quite say threatened. I said that maybe, just maybe, the more experienced players felt somehow strange that there was another teenage star gaining attention (as Jesse did in the few games he played in the 1st line), especially if they felt it started to happen too fast to a guy they didn't really connect to (due to different language etc.). But as I said I don't think that's likely, just a thought. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned McDavid's name there as I didn't find too good words to express how I meant it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He'll be fine. He'll get to play with McDavid next year, put up some points and his confidence with go from there.

His AHL numbers for an 18 year old were quite good.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he get's gifted McDavid we are committing MacT rule #1. He needs to earn it

He honestly looked not that bad with McDavid this past year. Connor scored his only hat trick in one of the games playing with Jesse on his wing.

He's the only quality winger we have that can actually keep up with McDavid speed-wise (sorry Eberle).

Why shouldn't he get a look there, even Pitlick got some time with McDavid this year. We didn't draft him no.4 overall to play in the bottom six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad