Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part III On Loan To Finnish WHC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's gonna work real well with McDavid I think. Loves to shoot, surprisingly good vision too though. Needs to gain a bit more strength on his skates, but big frame too.

I'm assuming you didn't see much of him before this year if this comes as a surprise. Jesse has always been a fantastic playmaker with great vision. He's not a pure sniper, he's a hybrid who can play many roles on a line or PP unit. He can be the puck carrier, the finisher, or the playmaker at 5 on 5, and he can be the QB or the one-timer option on the PP.

It will take time for that to shine through in NA and especially at the NHL level, but he can do it all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As disappointing as Pulju was this year, i see a Draisaitl trajectory for his career if people just have patience for him. Basically two years ago after his 1st kick at the NHL can, Drai was playing for Kelowna in the W playoffs. Pulju didn't have that opportunity - to play with similar aged kids, instead with career pros in the AHL. He wasn't great there either, but I remember thinking Drai was a blown pick in Year 1 too. Now look. Drai still is inconsistent, but TOP TEN IN NHL SCORING. I hope they take their time with Pulju - tell him NOW that he's starting next year in the AHL for at least 10 games - take ALL the pressure off. Let him have some fun and grow up. He'll be good, but can't contribute in this playoffs.

I think that he will challenge Drai for the title of 2nd best forward on our team at some point. I hope that he has a big offseason of training and that next year he has a huge season for us.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think that he will challenge Drai for the title of 2nd best forward on our team at some point. I hope that he has a big offseason of training and that next year he has a huge season for us.

Agreed fully. I think JP will open a ton of eyes next year. I could honestly see him being around a Hall level player. Crazy to look at our team now and think that we have a ultra blue chip prospect waiting to join it

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed fully. I think JP will open a ton of eyes next year. I could honestly see him being around a Hall level player. Crazy to look at our team now and think that we have a ultra blue chip prospect waiting to join it

That would be excellent. If JP is ready to play in one of our top two lines next year it's great for the team. Allows the opportunity to shop Ebs and improved the team and its cap situation.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Reading some of these posting make me smile . Our team is coming along nicely . I truly thing we are a couple of piece away from a Chicago like run .

Needs

An upgrade on Russell . He helped a lot this year but he is really a number 5 or 6 D on a contender

I love RNH but unless he improves his offence he will have to be moved . 6 million is too much to pay for a checking C

Eberle who most Canadian love from his Jr days will be a goner because of cap space . He has improve his 2 way play a lot since T Mac got here . Future team will like see Draisaitl as a 2 C leading his own line

I am also unsure about Maroon . Can he keep scoring at his current rate ? Does he want to be here long term with his kid in St Louis . Maybe Chia moves him to St Louis next trade deadline if he doesn't want to resign

Going forward I see a top 9 of

XXX McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Foo ....LOL hoping
Cagguila XXX Kassian

D

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera XXX Nurse may be able to jump up to top 4 next year but would have to have Sekera playing RS not ideal
Nurse Benning

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
When does the World Championship (or w/e its called) actually start?

I always thought it was underway during Round 1?

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Reading some of these posting make me smile . Our team is coming along nicely . I truly thing we are a couple of piece away from a Chicago like run .

Needs

An upgrade on Russell . He helped a lot this year but he is really a number 5 or 6 D on a contender

I love RNH but unless he improves his offence he will have to be moved . 6 million is too much to pay for a checking C

Eberle who most Canadian love from his Jr days will be a goner because of cap space . He has improve his 2 way play a lot since T Mac got here . Future team will like see Draisaitl as a 2 C leading his own line

I am also unsure about Maroon . Can he keep scoring at his current rate ? Does he want to be here long term with his kid in St Louis . Maybe Chia moves him to St Louis next trade deadline if he doesn't want to resign

Going forward I see a top 9 of

XXX McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Foo ....LOL hoping
Cagguila XXX Kassian

D

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera XXX Nurse may be able to jump up to top 4 next year but would have to have Sekera playing RS not ideal
Nurse Benning

Unless you can find a clear upgrade on Russell and he doesn't want too much money, why not keep him as our 5/6 Dman? Let Nurse or Benning move him out of the top 4 naturally. As you said, he's a 5/6 on a contender, so why do you not want him?

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
The fact Jesse in 99% of the photos of him is either smiling from ear to ear or sticking his tongue out makes me laugh so hard.

He's such a character. As he learns English, I think he's going to make for some great interviews.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Unless you can find a clear upgrade on Russell and he doesn't want too much money, why not keep him as our 5/6 Dman? Let Nurse or Benning move him out of the top 4 naturally. As you said, he's a 5/6 on a contender, so why do you not want him?

If he wants to sign for 3 to be a 'team guy" I'd give him a year or two. But you have to be sure that it won't take away from more important additions.

Good chance Reinhart takes his spot next year at some point. He's a bit to weak against the boards but his game is great at times. Pushes the pace sometimes which is needed on the back end.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

That should be the plan.
I would still try to hang on to Russell and let Nurse and Benning fight for play time.

Russell can play both sides on D.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If he wants to sign for 3 to be a 'team guy" I'd give him a year or two. But you have to be sure that it won't take away from more important additions.

Good chance Reinhart takes his spot next year at some point. He's a bit to weak against the boards but his game is great at times. Pushes the pace sometimes which is needed on the back end.

Reinhart playing well in the AHL doesn't mean he will eliminate the need for the leading shot blocker in the NHL. I don't understand why people consistently underrate the role that Russell brings to the team. It's actually quite mind-boggling to me, yet it seems like I'm int he minority.

Keep Russell, unless he asks for an insane amount of money (honestly anything higher than 3.5 is too much and I am a fan of him), and let other players take his spot away from him. He will be very easy to trade if we suddenly have no use for him on the team. But even if we sign a 2RD to take his place, I still think it makes sense to re-sign Russell and have him playing bottom pairing minutes and heavy PK mins. Nurse and Benning both still have some kinks to iron out in their game, it wouldn't hurt either of them to play more time in the A.

We will know soon enough what our GM and coach think of Russell when free agency comes around. I believe that he will get re-signed for approx 3x3. And this doesn't mean that Chia isn't looking for upgrades - I would think that any successful GM always has his ear to the ground for players who are available. Shattenkirk suddenly decides he wants to play in Edmonton this summer and we've already re-signed Russell? Trade him!

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
That should be the plan.
I would still try to hang on to Russell and let Nurse and Benning fight for play time.

Russell can play both sides on D.

Agreed completely. And then if we need to move him for capspace and have a rookie take a bottom pairing spot while one of the two youngins moves up.... then we trade him!

I just think it's more realistic to try and re-sign the current good players we have before thinking that we'll land an upgrade without thinking about it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm okay with keeping Russell, but I strongly believe we should sign him for ONLY one year.

The AAV is not important as long as it's just one year. I'd even give him a NMC if he signed for one year. He probably wants a long term deal but his future here is bottom pairing and we have a massive cap hit coming into this team in 2018. 3 million on the bottom pair is unacceptable (and it would probably take 3.5-4.0 to sign him), and there's always the chance that no one will help us out on the trade market.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm okay with keeping Russell, but I strongly believe we should sign him for ONLY one year.

The AAV is not important as long as it's just one year. I'd even give him a NMC if he signed for one year. He probably wants a long term deal but his future here is bottom pairing and we have a massive cap hit coming into this team in 2018. 3 million on the bottom pair is unacceptable (and it would probably take 3.5-4.0 to sign him), and there's always the chance that no one will help us out on the trade market.

No one will do us any favors, sure... but Russell at anything under 4M for anything under 4 years is a very valuable contract that we would EASILY be able to not only get rid of if needed, but would also be able to return some decent assets, or at the very least not handcuff us with another middling contract. Teams aren't out to do favors, but they would be stupid to not improve their team by adding an available Russell just because it's the Oilers. Pittsburgh & Chicago are able to make trades regardless of their status as the best teams in the past however many years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No one will do us any favors, sure... but Russell at anything under 4M for anything under 4 years is a very valuable contract that we would EASILY be able to not only get rid of if needed, but would also be able to return some decent assets, or at the very least not handcuff us with another middling contract. Teams aren't out to do favors, but they would be stupid to not improve their team by adding an available Russell just because it's the Oilers. Pittsburgh & Chicago are able to make trades regardless of their status as the best teams in the past however many years.

A lot can happen over the course of a season though. Russell may start the year next to Sekera on the 2nd pairing, but if Nurse takes that spot, then he may fall to the bottom pairing and his stats and usage may suffer. Then you've got a 3-4 AAV contract for long term, for a Dman with bottom pairing stats. Could be nearly impossible to move then. There are elements of Russell that are like what Fayne was when we signed him. Fans and pundits were generally pleased with that deal too.

Also, Russell knows that 3 of the 4 top 4 spots are taken. He also sees how much priority the org puts on Nurse. He may have figured out that if he stays here it's just a matter of time until we trade him, and so he would likely want a NTC of some kind so he can dictate a bit where he goes.

I still insist just on the one year.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
Good! At least I see him in paris

It´s not certain that he´ll be there. He still has lot to prove, but i do belive he´ll make. You could say he´s on a try out period for the final WHC team, but, yes i do believe he´ll make it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It´s not certain that he´ll be there. He still has lot to prove, but i do belive he´ll make. You could say he´s on a try out period for the final WHC team, but, yes i do believe he´ll make it.

Yes, that's how it is. There should still be some players coming to the team (e.g. 1-2 players from the FEL finalists) so a few players will be dropped out. However, I also believe Pulju will make it to the final WHC team.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Quite an invisible tonight, but tbf to him, no one else really stood out from NA forwards either (Rantanen imo being the best of them... no bias :laugh:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad