Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part II

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Lol really? He's always smiling and happy, can't imagine him having a temperment to him.

His mother said in an interview that when things don't go his way he throws stuff around and is in very bad mood generally.

That's probably because he's very competitive , I'm sure this situation is not the most ideal for him. I think he is "slightly" immature , he probably could've used at least one more year in Finland. But oh well.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
They could still send him to FEL. His team Kärpät should be ready to pay a pretty big part of his remaining salary (say 250 000 or so) as they would get a large part of the money back from sponsors and increased amount of people coming to the games. They would also need Pulju on the ice and it's very difficult if not impossible to get a player of that level. Kärpät might be happy with a shorter stint as well. Of course some 250 000 won't mean too much to Oilers in this process.

However, I don't think that will happen, as it would look like the Oilers' plan, whatever it was, failed. They also probably want to keep Jesse in NA because of the language issues and may be planning to use him in Oilers later on in the spring. In Finland he could get to play a lot in an adults' league, have some playoff games (probably) and then World Championship games at the end of the season. They could accommodate him with the English speaking players of the team or some other foreigners and put him to language classes. It's not the same as living in NA, but he could return to Edmonton in 5-6 months so it wouldn't be that long really.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
I don't think it'll happen either. He should do good in Bakersfield with one or two Finns in there.

I just hope he hasn't been throwing stuff around in front of his coaches or teammates lol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think theres any way they send him to Finland. I do hope they send him down after the road trip ends tomorrow though. He clearly needs to get his confidence back and Bakersfield's schedule is more condensed on the back half of the season (they still have 39 games out of 68 to play). I think give him 20 games down there and then re-evaluate. If he does well and is looking confident call him back up for some games down the stretch and see how he looks. Could be a nice trade deadline addition without having to make a trade if all goes well.

IMO there have been plenty of games he's shown he can play as an NHL calibre player, and his skill set is rather obvious. Get him some confidence and bring him back up with some PP time and you might have some added depth for a playoff push/playoffs.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's interesting how fast things can change. Just a week ago he obviously had a pretty good game (didn't see it, but read the comments) and a lot of poeple here wanted him in the 1st line. I was actually surprised to see how many suggested that when talking about line combos, and Pulju also got some positive feedback in those posts. In the next game he got a penalty and obviously got shaken up by it (IMO probably because of the way he was treated the last time he took penalties) and then played just three minutes in the last two games (3 minutes and press box). Now some people are questioning his talent, which is kind of understandable, but I am not worried at all.

However, trading him might not be such a terrible option. I'm sure he would be seen as a top6 forward in many other teams, which could also utilize Jesse's marketing value more than the Oilers, who already have McDavid and Draisaitl in the team. Oilers would for sure get a good value for him, so unless they really see Pulju as an important part of the team's future they should possibly consider that option as well. Of course it would be a shame if that meant that him and McDavid wouldn't be playing together, as I am sure they would form a lethal pair. It's hard to say what is the best solution, but it can't be some three minutes per two games on a constant basis.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't think theres any way they send him to Finland. I do hope they send him down after the road trip ends tomorrow though. He clearly needs to get his confidence back and Bakersfield's schedule is more condensed on the back half of the season (they still have 39 games out of 68 to play). I think give him 20 games down there and then re-evaluate. If he does well and is looking confident call him back up for some games down the stretch and see how he looks. Could be a nice trade deadline addition without having to make a trade if all goes well.

IMO there have been plenty of games he's shown he can play as an NHL calibre player, and his skill set is rather obvious. Get him some confidence and bring him back up with some PP time and you might have some added depth for a playoff push/playoffs.

Every time I see him on the ice, you can tell there's talent. I mean, in the WJC, 7 games, 17 points. I think he's just not processing the game fast enough since there was so much more space in open ice. Laine's game is much simpler- go forward, get puck and shoot whereas Puljujarvi, IMO anyway, his game is more diverse.

Smaller, slower pace AHL to get him up to speed is probably best for him IMO. Don't bring him up unless he's tearing it up.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Laine's game is much simpler- go forward, get puck and shoot whereas Puljujarvi, IMO anyway, his game is more diverse.

I think it's also a huge factor that Jets have showed by their ACTIONS that Laine is allowed to make mistakes during the process of learning the NHL game. I don't even need to exaggerate to say that in that sense Oilers and Jets have been total opposites. While Winnipeg kept him on the ice and on PP and even put him back to the 1st line when he was playing his worst hockey, Oilers has seemed to punish Pulju for each mistake he's made, even when there'd be almost none before that.

As a Finn and someone who's following the both guys it's been quite interesting to see what a difference the kind of treatments have done to two pretty similar prospects.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think it's also a huge factor that Jets have showed by their ACTIONS that Laine is allowed to make mistakes during the process of learning the NHL game. I don't even need to exaggerate to say that in that sense Oilers and Jets have been total opposites. While Winnipeg kept him on the ice and on PP and even put him back to the 1st line when he was playing his worst hockey, Oilers has seemed to punish Pulju for each mistake he's made, even when there'd be almost none before that.

As a Finn and someone who's following the both guys it's been quite interesting to see what a difference the kind of treatments have done to two pretty similar prospects.

Perhaps Laine-Puljujarvi is to Hall-Seguin where the former is expected to carry the load now and they dont have other options whereas the latter is a process, preparing for long term success. Granted, 3 mins and then bench is absurd but Puljujarvi definitely isn't read yet IMO

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Also, Laine took the chance right away with two hattricks in his first 15 games.

I have very little worries for Puljujarvi. He is one of very few players who manages to play in the NHL at the age of 18. And his upside is very obvious to see.

He did make misstakes and kept on playing earlier in the season. Now the leash is shorter but I think that has to do partly with what frag2 brought up above and partly because I think the management are actually under huge pressure to make the playoffs this season. They are in a critical point right now with several teams just a few points behind and they are playing to win games, no room for experimenting at moment. It will come though, he will get time before the season ends.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Perhaps Laine-Puljujarvi is to Hall-Seguin where the former is expected to carry the load now and they dont have other options whereas the latter is a process, preparing for long term success. Granted, 3 mins and then bench is absurd but Puljujarvi definitely isn't read yet IMO

Yes, the situations are very different in Edmonton and Winnipeg, so that must be one factor in this. There was also a huge hype around Laine in Winnipeg already before the season started, so Laine was able to make the team even when his preseason games were pretty bad. And then the goals he scored at the beginning of the season made it easier to be patient with his pretty long difficult period. So yes there are many factors, but I still think the treatments have been opposite.

When I was still following Laine's games he was far from ready as well, but that didn't stop Winnipeg putting him back to the 1st line and giving him a lot of PP time. They realized that in order to bring the best out of him he should be put with the best players available, which I think was a brave and wonderful desicion. Laine made some brutal and costly mistakes, but thanks to sticking with him Jets are now picking the fruits. I can't help but feel it could be the same with Pulju, in which case Oilers would be an even more dangerous team right now. Especially the lack of PP time is something I don't get, it's almost as if they haven't done their homework about him. Or that they don't have a clue about how to support a young talent's confidence.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Also, Laine took the chance right away with two hattricks in his first 15 games.

I have very little worries for Puljujarvi. He is one of very few players who manages to play in the NHL at the age of 18. And his upside is very obvious to see.

He did make mistakes and kept on playing earlier in the season. Now the leash is shorter but I think that has to do partly with what frag2 brought up above and partly because I think the management are actually under huge pressure to make the playoffs this season. They are in a critical point right now with several teams just a few points behind and they are playing to win games, no room for experimenting at moment. It will come though, he will get time before the season ends.

While I agree with most of your post, I think there was a pretty long period when a lot of people here were wondering how mistake free Pulju was. It was even said quite a few times he was already the best forward of the team defensively. I didn't see each game myself, but quite a few, and don't recall seeing any bad mistakes from him in those games. The ones Laine made were in a completely different league, costing directly at least five goals in the games I followed (two against Oilers). I am absolutely positive that any of the five ones would have sent Pulju to the press box.

And please don't think I've got something against Laine, as it's the opposite. He is just a wonderful example of what patience and some offensive freedom can create.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
who is Puljujarvi's agent anyway...

wait...I got this...

dominos-pizza-delivery-hours-i2.jpg
?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I just thought about Dregers? comment on Pulju maybe getting send to AHL after this trip.

My question to Chia.
What was the point to keep Pulju up& sit him these games to burn his RFA instead of sending him to AHL before the trip to avoid burning a year yet.
He likely would have still ended up burning that year but you never know and atleast it would have made sense then.

Burning ELC likely makes him cheaper to re-sign which should help with McDavid& Drai contracts.

Me too. Hopefully he spends an entire off season in Edmonton.

Again, I understand the frustration from many Finns. Lots of us are frustrated too, but Pulju also is playing for a team that is 2nd in our division and in a playoff spot. We've rushed prospects in the past and Pulju is coming off a season where he had surgery. Not to mention that he barely speaks English.

We tend to forget, Pulju is the youngest player in the NHL. He's just a kid. I've got plenty of time to be patient with him, I only speak for myself but I'm sure others have lots of time to be patient with him too.

An entire summer in Edmonton hanging out with McDavid, Nurse, and Draisaitl could do wonders for him. Joe Thornton turned out alright and he went through something similar as a rookie and he didn't have the same cultural barriers/language issues.

Either way, yeah I'd like to see him play more or go to Bakersfield, but I understand why they want to keep him around the team rather than send him to California all by himself.

Puljus weakness is his puck handling, McDavid is one of the best if not the best puck handlers, definitely the best at full speed.
Summer with McDavid could do wonders for Pulju and if he gets his puck handling to another level Edmonton has a helluva player in Pulju.
That size+speed+ skill is such a nice combo to have on a player.

My frustration is that Pulju hasn't been the worst forward on this team, but he's the youngest so he doesn't get any favours over vets.
I want to see him play now, develop, work his weaknesses and find his confidence again, was it then NHL or AHL as long as he can play.

He could be a top6 winger for this team this year, he showed that potential before the 3 game benching but I doubt he will like that.
Gaining a free top6 winger would be a huge help for the team on their playoff run and run in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
I just thought about Dregers? comment on Pulju maybe getting send to AHL after this trip.

My question to Chia.
What was the point to keep Pulju up& sit him these games to burn his RFA instead of sending him to AHL before the trip to avoid burning a year yet.
He likely would have still ended up burning that year but you never know and atleast it would have made sense then.

Burning ELC likely makes him cheaper to re-sign which should help with McDavid& Drai contracts.

Puljus weakness is his puck handling, McDavid is one of the best if not the best puck handlers, definitely the best at full speed.
Summer with McDavid could do wonders for Pulju and if he gets his puck handling to another level Edmonton has a helluva player in Pulju.
That size+speed+ skill is such a nice combo to have on a player.

My frustration is that Pulju hasn't been the worst forward on this team, but he's the youngest so he doesn't get any favours over vets.
I want to see him play now, develop, work his weaknesses and find his confidence again, was it then NHL or AHL as long as he can play.

He could be a top6 winger for this team this year, he showed that potential before the 3 game benching but I doubt he will like that.
Gaining a free top6 winger would be a huge help for the team on their playoff run and run in the playoffs.

I am thinking, if we see Pulju go down after the road trip, then this is exactly the reason why he was handled this way.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Someone posted that they needed to burn the RFA year in order to send him down to AHL without Kärpät being able to do anything about it. Is this factual? What's the source?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Someone posted that they needed to burn the RFA year in order to send him down to AHL without Kärpät being able to do anything about it. Is this factual? What's the source?

That feels weird considering Rantanen played in the AHL, both Nylander brothers playing in the AHL, as well as Pasta.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

My understanding is Kärpät already lost its right once the ELC kicked in after 9 games.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I haven't heard about this, but somebody wrote a few months ago that Oilers could not send Puljujarvi to AHL without offering him first to Kärpät. However, I thought this would not make a difference in practice, but you never know.

Another unlikely possibility is that they thought it would be extremely likely they would be bringing Pulju up again later on, and maybe wanted to show that to him by burning the 40 game limit. Well I don't know if that would make sense either...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm disappointed seeing Jesse get this treatment. How can it possibly be better for him to stay up and not play, as opposed to be sent down and get top line minutes? Also now that Laine went down there'd be plenty of time to watch the Oilers games if they'd just let him play. Oh well, NHL suddenly went from being the best thing in the world to why even bother, gah.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm disappointed seeing Jesse get this treatment. How can it possibly be better for him to stay up and not play, as opposed to be sent down and get top line minutes? Also now that Laine went down there'd be plenty of time to watch the Oilers games if they'd just let him play. Oh well, NHL suddenly went from being the best thing in the world to why even bother, gah.

So the Oilers should base their decision on Laine's injury and one fans opinion across the pond? I love the passion from Finns like you, but sometimes it seems you're too quick to throw Pulju under the bus.

Think of the salient differences. Laine is well spoken in English, plays for a non-playoff team, has been given top 6 minutes, and PP time. Pulju speaks poor English, plays for a playoff team, and has been in a dog fight for minutes. He's not being handed out anything.

Pulju is going through the grind like Thornton, Stamkos, and Seguin did. You have to remember we're a playoff team. The Jets aren't.

Pulju also barely speaks English. Laine is fluent in the language and can articulate himself clearly. So what if Pulju plays minimal minutes this year? He's the youngest player in the NHL. We have a long-term plan, he's McDavids future RWer down the road.

Hopefully the Finns and the Finnish media ease up on the kid. We're being patient with him, we don't want to rush the kid or send him to Bakersfield before he can even express himself in English (Bakersfield is a low income American city with high crime rates and a very different demographics/politics/climate/culture, etc).

Be patient with Pulju, an offseason or two in Canada hanging out with his teammates and training with them will do wonders. Don't judge him yet, reserve your judgment until he's in his mid 20s destroying the NHL with McDavid by his side.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So the Oilers should base their decision on Laine's injury and one fans opinion across the pond? I love the passion from Finns like you, but sometimes it seems you're too quick to throw Pulju under the bus.

Think of the salient differences. Laine is well spoken in English, plays for a non-playoff team, has been given top 6 minutes, and PP time. Pulju speaks poor English, plays for a playoff team, and has been in a dog fight for minutes. He's not being handed out anything.

Pulju is going through the grind like Thornton, Stamkos, and Seguin did. You have to remember we're a playoff team. The Jets aren't.

Pulju also barely speaks English. Laine is fluent in the language and can articulate himself clearly. So what if Pulju plays minimal minutes this year? He's the youngest player in the NHL. We have a long-term plan, he's McDavids future RWer down the road.

Hopefully the Finns and the Finnish media ease up on the kid. We're being patient with him, we don't want to rush the kid or send him to Bakersfield before he can even express himself in English (Bakersfield is a low income American city with high crime rates and a very different demographics/politics/climate/culture, etc).

Be patient with Pulju, an offseason or two in Canada hanging out with his teammates and training with them will do wonders. Don't judge him yet, reserve your judgment until he's in his mid 20s destroying the NHL with McDavid by his side.

You even serious with that question?

The answer is so transparent I'm not even going to bother replying. This is about Jesse's development, not about viewer experience. Also, are you implying Laine being given handouts? He's earned every minute of his ice time. Puljujärvi is more of a project and I told that long before the draft already. The Oilers staff obviously weren't on the map about his current abilities and now they seem to be even more clueless how to handle things that will affect his long term success. I'm puzzled how you'd think sending a potential future star winger into AHL to get experience equals to him being sent under the bus.

There's nothing wrong about your long-term vision other than it's lack of sight of how to reach that point of time. Right now, while benching the kid, that scenario is being pushed further and further away. Now I do know that having a young promising player only participating in daily training sessions isn't enough. What I find hard to believe is how Bakersfield would be a bad option. Jesse needs only to understand what he's being told to do and I think he's at that stage of his English at least. If not, send a translator with him. If the area itself is that bad, I can only guess why they have a team there in the begin with.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You even serious with that question?

The answer is so transparent I'm not even going to bother replying. This is about Jesse's development, not about viewer experience. Also, are you implying Laine being given handouts? He's earned every minute of his ice time. Puljujärvi is more of a project and I told that long before the draft already. The Oilers staff obviously weren't on the map about his current abilities and now they seem to be even more clueless how to handle things that will affect his long term success. I'm puzzled how you'd think sending a potential future star winger into AHL to get experience equals to him being sent under the bus.

There's nothing wrong about your long-term vision other than it's lack of sight of how to reach that point of time. Right now, while benching the kid, that scenario is being pushed further and further away. Now I do know that having a young promising player only participating in daily training sessions isn't enough. What I find hard to believe is how Bakersfield would be a bad option. Jesse needs only to understand what he's being told to do and I think he's at that stage of his English at least. If not, send a translator with him. If the area itself is that bad, I can only guess why they have a team there in the begin with.

Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified. Some of my Finnish friends have translated articles from Finnish papers/tabloids and it appears the kid is being crucified in the Finnish media. Perhaps the hyperbole is unnecessary was my general point.

I'm equally confused as to why he didn't get AHL time and why he's getting minimum minutes in the NHL. However, I don't believe it is out of malice. You have to understand, many Finns are saying we are "ruining Pulju". I don't think that's entirely fair.

Some are even going as far as saying he's being treated like a "filthy dog". This just seems over the top to me. He's not the first young draft pick to play minimum minutes (i.e. Thornton). As well, I don't think many are aware of how different Bakersfield is from Edmonton and Suomi, it's a different world.

I don't know, I share the frustration regarding his lack of playing time. At the same time, I don't think it's out of malice and I know he'll be just fine. He's not being "ruined" and just because he's not seeing big minutes as an 18 year old doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future with the Oilers and won't be a star in the NHL.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified. Some of my Finnish friends have translated articles from Finnish papers/tabloids and it appears the kid is being crucified in the Finnish media. Perhaps the hyperbole is unnecessary was my general point.

I'm equally confused as to why he didn't get AHL time and why he's getting minimum minutes in the NHL. However, I don't believe it is out of malice. You have to understand, many Finns are saying we are "ruining Pulju". I don't think that's entirely fair.

Some are even going as far as saying he's being treated like a "filthy dog". This just seems over the top to me. He's not the first young draft pick to play minimum minutes (i.e. Thornton). As well, I don't think many are aware of how different Bakersfield is from Edmonton and Suomi, it's a different world.

I don't know, I share the frustration regarding his lack of playing time. At the same time, I don't think it's out of malice and I know he'll be just fine. He's not being "ruined" and just because he's not seeing big minutes as an 18 year old doesn't mean he doesn't have a bright future with the Oilers and won't be a star in the NHL.

Yeah, he´s going to be great 4th liner for years to come....:handclap:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
While I agree with most of your post, I think there was a pretty long period when a lot of people here were wondering how mistake free Pulju was. It was even said quite a few times he was already the best forward of the team defensively. I didn't see each game myself, but quite a few, and don't recall seeing any bad mistakes from him in those games. The ones Laine made were in a completely different league, costing directly at least five goals in the games I followed (two against Oilers). I am absolutely positive that any of the five ones would have sent Pulju to the press box.

And please don't think I've got something against Laine, as it's the opposite. He is just a wonderful example of what patience and some offensive freedom can create.

I remember thinking he was excellent defensively at times, for an 18 year old, but best on the team would have been a hyperbole to say the least. Patience and freedom is one thing if you are depending on a player to a big extent, which WPG is and TOR as well if we bring Matthews into this conversation as 1st year rookies. WPG and TOR are much more dependent on the game of these specific players than not and they are riding them to whatever success they have imo (wpg a bit less, tor a lot). That is not to say that Puljujarvi couldn't be doing great things, but right now this team wants to be at its best on any given night to stay in a playoff position and that means that they cut the ice time and/or shelter an 18 year old rookie.

Anyhow, I am not trying to justify anything here. I could also see the benefit of him playing more in the AHL (WJC not so much seeing as he has already shown how superior he was in the tournament last year).

As many have pointed out there could be many factors to him not being sent down, and far from all are negative. Staying with the team in terms of being comfortable in the new environment, training with the team, getting paid as a NHLer and not an AHLer (huge difference), maybe they think/thought that he will be able to work himself back into the line-up within a fairly short period of time.

I don't buy that this is a testament to the Oilers mishandling of rookies, it is true that lately we have seen may young players come right in and be gifted huge minutes (on the oilers as well as in other places) but what is happening to him is not that crazy imho. Even being hard on him after making mistakes is not always a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad