Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part II

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I actually think that the approaching 40 game limit has given even extra pressure to Pulju, so with all the things going on I'm not that surprised he seemed insecure. When Pulju played over 10 minutes per game he was doing fine, so it's sometimes hard to understand why they're doing this. I believe that if they'd boosted his confidence (words, not benching after almost every single mistake, more ice time, good line mates, some PP time) Oilers could have one top player more, which would increase secondary scoring. And there is never too much of that.

About this... If I'm not mistaken, the 40 game limit is for 40 games where the player is in the team roster, meaning that press box appearances count. The game against Boston was the 40th this season for the Oilers so it strongly seems like they already burned the RFA year just to have him play 3 minutes in the first two periods.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I just gotta say its a good thing we didn't let him go back to the WJC his confidence would of been destroyed playing for Finland. Rautakorpi woulda coached him out of an NHL career in 2 weeks. :sarcasm:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
About this... If I'm not mistaken, the 40 game limit is for 40 games where the player is in the team roster, meaning that press box appearances count. The game against Boston was the 40th this season for the Oilers so it strongly seems like they already burned the RFA year just to have him play 3 minutes in the first two periods.

Yep.

What this organization is doing with this player is beyond me.

I can't help but think that the mindset is "We ****ed around with Draisaitl in his rookie year and look how good he turned out. So lets just dick with Puljujarvi's rookie year even more and he'll be a surefire hall of famer!"

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Yes, I've heard that too, but I just didn't realize the limit's already been crossed.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Finnish media has been making sure everyone knows what the situation with Pulju is. Yesterday I saw two articles about it, with one of the headlines containing "Ridiculous leftover minutes for Puljujarvi".

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
As I've written earlier, they should give Puljujarvi a real chance for a few games before sending him to AHL. I think it'll leave a bitter feeling if they do it now, after the 3-6 minute games / press box visits and right after the 40 game mark. I mean a trip to AHL isn't the end of the world and it must be better than playing three minutes per game, but Jesse was playing well when he had a solid place in the roster, so why not try that before sending him down.

After all, his defensive stats are still good (good corsis and +5 e.g. compared to Caggiula's -3). The last penalty was actually the first mistake or "mistake" he made that cost the team a goal, but every player takes a penalty sometimes, and after all he's still got just 10 penalty minutes during the season.

So what I'm saying is either give him a real chance or send him to AHL for some time.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think the thinking is that if they send him down, he's bound to get called up again, meaning he'll burn that RFA year anyway. So give him the 40 games now so that's not a consideration if he earns the call up later.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the thinking is that if they send him down, he's bound to get called up again, meaning he'll burn that RFA year anyway. So give him the 40 games now so that's not a consideration if he earns the call up later.

That literally makes zero sense.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That literally makes zero sense.

I think it does. It's like, if you are trying to lose weight and have chocolate in the house, you should just eat all that chocolate right away so you're not tempted by it later.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think it does. It's like, if you are trying to lose weight and have chocolate in the house, you should just eat all that chocolate right away so you're not tempted by it later.

:handclap:

The flaw in your argument is then you go out and buy more chocolate.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's pretty sad. I thought this terrible management of prospects would be over with, but Oilers gonna Oil. That burn't RFA year could come back to haunt them, and for what? He's not getting any minutes or good development anyway. It's completely pointless. He could and should've been sent down a month ago.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yep.

What this organization is doing with this player is beyond me.

I can't help but think that the mindset is "We ****ed around with Draisaitl in his rookie year and look how good he turned out. So lets just dick with Puljujarvi's rookie year even more and he'll be a surefire hall of famer!"

Could it maybe have more to do with mentorship and cultural transition? Pakarinen has been in Edmonton nearly the entire time he's been injured. The only way to have the two together is keep Pulju in Edmonton. While his ice time and opportunity have been odd, they've at least been cautious vs throwing him to the wolves. I fully expect that as soon as Pakarinen is healthy, both will be sent to Bakersfield.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
IMO the language barrios is not an excuse. Was it a problem for Panarin? That's right... I would send him down to AHL... but there is a reason why they keep him up with Oilers. I hope it's the best way to develop him. Keep in mind the Thornton case.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
IMO the language barrios is not an excuse. Was it a problem for Panarin? That's right... I would send him down to AHL... but there is a reason why they keep him up with Oilers. I hope it's the best way to develop him. Keep in mind the Thornton case.

I hope you're right. I hope Jesse will take it like Jumbo did. He got only a bit over 8 minutes ATOI in his rookie year and he turned out rather OK.

I've heard that Jesse has quite a temperament. I wonder they are trying to teach him patience lol

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I do hope they find a way to get Pulju to spent his offseason with McDavid.

Me too. Hopefully he spends an entire off season in Edmonton.

Again, I understand the frustration from many Finns. Lots of us are frustrated too, but Pulju also is playing for a team that is 2nd in our division and in a playoff spot. We've rushed prospects in the past and Pulju is coming off a season where he had surgery. Not to mention that he barely speaks English.

We tend to forget, Pulju is the youngest player in the NHL. He's just a kid. I've got plenty of time to be patient with him, I only speak for myself but I'm sure others have lots of time to be patient with him too.

An entire summer in Edmonton hanging out with McDavid, Nurse, and Draisaitl could do wonders for him. Joe Thornton turned out alright and he went through something similar as a rookie and he didn't have the same cultural barriers/language issues.

Either way, yeah I'd like to see him play more or go to Bakersfield, but I understand why they want to keep him around the team rather than send him to California all by himself.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
My bet is he is sent down after this road trip and recalled close to the trade deadline.

Not that this is what i would have wanted for him, but i think that's the plan and why they burned the RFA year anyway :dunno:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My bet is he is sent down after this road trip and recalled close to the trade deadline.

Not that this is what i would have wanted for him, but i think that's the plan and why they burned the RFA year anyway :dunno:

At least he'll be cheaper to resign ;)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
People are making way too big of a deal out of the RFA year burned. If anything it might work out better in a similar sense to how a potential Draisaitl extension could. If we sign Draisaitl long-term for 6M or less its entirely possible that by next season he would command closer to 7M long term. I mean if he puts up 2 seasons in a row of ~70P you can bet he's getting 7M if we're signing him longterm.

Same could end up true with Puljujarvi. Anyways I just hope they send him down soon to get some confidence and then potentially call him back later in the season if he's really lighting up the AHL. I have no doubt he's going to be a great player given the skill set I saw in the U20's as a 16 and 17 year old and the U18's last year. He's going to imo be a pretty ideal line mate for McDavid because of his speed and shot. I sense a lot of 2 on 1 goals in their future together.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Me too. Hopefully he spends an entire off season in Edmonton.

Again, I understand the frustration from many Finns. Lots of us are frustrated too, but Pulju also is playing for a team that is 2nd in our division and in a playoff spot. We've rushed prospects in the past and Pulju is coming off a season where he had surgery. Not to mention that he barely speaks English.

We tend to forget, Pulju is the youngest player in the NHL. He's just a kid. I've got plenty of time to be patient with him, I only speak for myself but I'm sure others have lots of time to be patient with him too.

An entire summer in Edmonton hanging out with McDavid, Nurse, and Draisaitl could do wonders for him. Joe Thornton turned out alright and he went through something similar as a rookie and he didn't have the same cultural barriers/language issues.

Either way, yeah I'd like to see him play more or go to Bakersfield, but I understand why they want to keep him around the team rather than send him to California all by himself.

I like this post. While I do not agree with everything Edmonton has done with the kid there are a lot of factors that we are not privy too.

oilinger

Jul 11, 2016
Hopefully he spends an entire off season in Edmonton.
An entire summer in Edmonton hanging out with McDavid, Nurse, and Draisaitl could do wonders for him.

I don't think those 3 players or ANY of the Oilers spend their off-seasons in Edmonton, that I know of.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think those 3 players or ANY of the Oilers spend their off-seasons in Edmonton, that I know of.

Or head with them to Ontario or wherever. It was more a general point of spending an offseason training with his teammates here in Canada.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I hope you're right. I hope Jesse will take it like Jumbo did. He got only a bit over 8 minutes ATOI in his rookie year and he turned out rather OK.

I've heard that Jesse has quite a temperament. I wonder they are trying to teach him patience lol

Lol really? He's always smiling and happy, can't imagine him having a temperment to him.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

That's something to keep in mind. Yeah, he's the youngest player this season, next season it's a distinct possibility that he'll still be the youngest player in the league, or maybe the 2nd youngest or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad