Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I generally don't look at points, I look at impact. For prospects before the NHL, I look for players who's games are transferable to the NHL and players who are a step above their peers (or who have specific qualities that are above their peers). For players in the NHL I look at whether they are behind on skill or behind on pace, whether a lag is because of thinking, skill level, or maturity.

That being said, you are completely wrong on his 'it' factor. Perpetual 50pt guy is absolutely his floor not his ceiling, in a regular NHL season he's already good enough to be a 50pt player. The thing hindering his production right now isn't a lack of skill, it's a lack legs. He's processing the game while, he's got fantastic vision on the ice, he generally makes the right plays and goes where he needs to go. He's just behind on pace, which all things considered (he's 20) us not concerning in the slightest.

I don't see him becoming a point per game centre but his shot, passing, physicality, creativity, and vision are all going to make him into a 60pt top 6 centre.
He has 62 career points in 3 seasons., I think saying his floor is 50 points/year minimum is a little bit disingenuous to say the least.

Reactions: gab6511 and Voight

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I generally don't look at points, I look at impact. For prospects before the NHL, I look for players who's games are transferable to the NHL and players who are a step above their peers (or who have specific qualities that are above their peers). For players in the NHL I look at whether they are behind on skill or behind on pace, whether a lag is because of thinking, skill level, or maturity.

That being said, you are completely wrong on his 'it' factor. Perpetual 50pt guy is absolutely his floor not his ceiling, in a regular NHL season he's already good enough to be a 50pt player. The thing hindering his production right now isn't a lack of skill, it's a lack legs. He's processing the game while, he's got fantastic vision on the ice, he generally makes the right plays and goes where he needs to go. He's just behind on pace, which all things considered (he's 20) us not concerning in the slightest.

I don't see him becoming a point per game centre but his shot, passing, physicality, creativity, and vision are all going to make him into a 60pt top 6 centre.

Maybe he should hit 50 points first? Also, points is impact. I find it humorous all of the hoops fans jump through to justify lack of production (I'm guilty of it as well at times).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't understand why he was rushed. He had good stats in the Finnish league but not third overall stats. He should have spent a few years in Finland

Habs gave into the pressure from the fan base I'd guess. Most fans want to see their shiny new toy in the lineup right away. That team also rushes their prospects more often than not.

He 100% should have spent another year or two across the pond.

Reactions: varsaku

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m not one to judge guys too quickly I mean Barkov took awhile to become the superstar he is today, not saying that Kotkaniemi is the next Barkov, but I don’t think it’s all said and done with him just yet.

Barkov at the same age had 59 points & came 6th in Selke voting..... he also showed steady progression & development from his rookie year.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Habs gave into the pressure from the fan base I'd guess. Most fans want to see their shiny new toy in the lineup right away. That team also rushes their prospects more often than not.

He 100% should have spent another year or two across the pond.

you realy thing Habs fans decide who is playing lolll c'mon

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Far from "bust", but it also isn't anywhere close to the type of production where you think "50 points as a FLOOR".

Agreed.

I mean his floor is what he is now. It's always possible a player who has already been in the league doesn't get much better for whatever reason, no matter how young he is.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
well he was drafted 3rd overall, and it is Montreal, who still havent had an elite 1C since...... since.....

The top5 C drafted by Montreal are:
Saku Koivu
Mike Ribeiro
Tomas Plekanec
Keith Acton
Craig Conroy

The best Cs all came trough FA and C/B forms.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
2cvj4i.gif

What's the story here? Is that at the draft where the Habs picked Kotkaniemi?

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
No he doesn't. He's just not good at all. Mediocre in all aspects of the game. Sure he is only 20, maybe in a few years he gets stronger and becomes a 2C. 0% chance he is a #1 C. More likely he is out of the league or a Galchenyuk than a #1 C.
Very mighty of you to pronounce a 20 year olds future as set already

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Very generous of this Brampton, Ontario OP to create a jinx thread just before the seemingly inevitable TOR-MTL playoffs, a setting where Kotkaniemi excelled last year.

There are valid concerns on his slow shot release, weak stickhandling, and not having an elite skill atm, but the kid has great tools to work with and build on when he isn't as obviously gassed out and deprived of self confidence from this hectic season.

What the numbers don't show is the amount of luminous plays he set up early in the season for Lehkonen/Armia and even Anderson to whiff on. I think Ducharme has to take some blame for not reacting earlier to the confidence erosion, and mixing him up with different linemates and assignments when he was already lost to start with. To his defense he had to navigate through the worst year in recent MTL history in terms of injuries.

I get it, a star player would find a way to be better, but he can still be a very impactful player (1B/2A center). He's already pretty dependable defensively, more than some will ever be in their career.
I'm hoping the Habs and Kotkaniemi find a way to see the playoffs as a fresh start, because they're sending strong "crawling to the finish line" vibes atm.

(Lastly, I want to see a Kotkaniemi/Caufield duo sooner than later, seems to me those player styles are meant to match beautifully.)

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Do we even see a Nazem Kadri role out of him in the long term? I can't seem him significantly doing more than him.

If hes a #2 habs should be happy and not piling on him for not being a #1. Can't hit a home run every pick.

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
Like for Romanov (and to an extend Suzuki), the last 2 months were way too much hockey for a 20 years old adapting to a new coach without any on ice training for pretty much 3 months. He's gazed. I wouldnt read anything about those kids futur out of this season right now.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
It’s not even about the points for me, I understand he’s young and having confidence issue but there just aren’t any plays where he’s the guy and goes out there and makes it happen. The Oil game he made a couple cute little high skill passes, but he’s just not a game breaker. (As of right now anyways)

The best way to explain this is even though in Ottawa our boy Jimmy isn’t putting up ridiculous points, he’s constantly showing flashes of taking over a game. I just don’t see that with KK.

I think he’s going to be a bigger version of a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at his peak.

He does have great underlying numbers, aside from the offensive zone starts. There’s definitely a player in there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad