Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
KK is flashing high end skill /hockey IQ. And Poehling is actually slowing him down. He's pretty useless out there right now. Skates fast, looks the part but I've seen ZERO high end skill elements from him.

Kotkaniemi with the highest - on the team and only 7 pts after 29 games, along with Poehling shooting all blanks is pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
We all see the Bambi-on-ice aspect of his game that I'm sure will iron out over time. Does anyone else feel like his stick is too long? I didn't mind at first as there are pros and cons and he was stealing lots of pucks and making plays. Right now, it just seems to get in his way. He struggles to make skill plays in tight and seems to bumble it with that belly-putter.

It depends on players. When it becomes a habit it's hard to change. But he could go middle ground, just shorten it a tiny bit. It would facilitate his adaptation.

When you try to adapt to new sticks it's also positive for your overall understanding of deking because the adaptation makes you think a bit more than usual.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
Neither Poehling or KK should be in the NHL right now.

I like Kotkamiemi but man is he looking like a worse pick more and more by the day.
Yes, but by the day he remains 19 years old with chicken legs.

I agree he should be in the AHL, but I think a lot of the heat he gets also comes from the fact that Tkachuk and Q.Hughes are doing well, and Zadina has been productive since being called up. Let's be patient, we should not be expecting big changes until this summer in his case.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Neither Poehling or KK should be in the NHL right now.

I like Kotkamiemi but man is he looking like a worse pick more and more by the day.
Simply another case of the Habs having piss poor player development. Kotkaniemi probably should have spent some time in the AHL to get his confidence back. It’s the same story all the time with his franchise. Draft for need and then have no idea how to develop them.

at this point — and I’m not saying Tkachuk long-term is better — but Tkachuk was physically mature and this organization would have had to have been so bad to f*** up Tkachuk because he was literally the easiest pick after the first two picks.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Simply another case of the Habs having piss poor player development. Kotkaniemi probably should have spent some time in the AHL to get his confidence back. It’s the same story all the time with his franchise. Draft for need and then have no idea how to develop them.

at this point — and I’m not saying Tkachuk long-term is better — but Tkachuk was physically mature and this organization would have had to have been so bad to **** up Tkachuk because he was literally the easiest pick after the first two picks.
Yeah well most "connoisseurs" on this website wouldn't even consider Tkachuk in their top 25 so these people can't come back and bitch about this pick.

Reactions: the and Ozmodiar

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It depends on players. When it becomes a habit it's hard to change. But he could go middle ground, just shorten it a tiny bit. It would facilitate his adaptation.

When you try to adapt to new sticks it's also positive for your overall understanding of deking because the adaptation makes you think a bit more than usual.

Who has the longest stick in the league? :)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Maybe in the end i'll be wrong but at least i have the guts to say it before the real hindsight kick in. I don't see it in JK. I don't see the elite IQ people speak of or the elite skills. I just don't. No doubt he might develop into a solid player (any kid his age could). Could very well develop into a solid 200 feet 60 points center which would be great. But i really don't see the elite skills expected by a 3rd overall pick.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Maybe in the end i'll be wrong but at least i have the guts to say it before the real hindsight kick in. I don't see it in JK. I don't see the elite IQ people speak of or the elite skills. I just don't. No doubt he might develop into a solid player (any kid his age could). Could very well develop into a solid 200 feet 60 points center which would be great. But i really don't see the elite skills expected by a 3rd overall pick.
Yep I'm afraid to say it but he should of stayed in Finland one more year, and played for his country as a junior one more year and then come over.....Man I hope I'm wrong!!!!

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Who has the longest stick in the league? :)
Ask Pierre

598F260C-74AD-45C4-BA6B-D74A76C1A6B0.jpeg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom and the

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, but by the day he remains 19 years old with chicken legs.

a lot of the tall players do coming out of the draft. They don’t look so bloody awkward and fall all the time.

yeah, we wasn’t a true top 3. He was a 10-15 player.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
His skating is almost comical in truth. That has to be improved or else it's another bust. Bulking up and girth wouldn't hurt either.

I wouldn’t say it’s comical but when he’s going thru the neutral zone and bringing the puck forward on a rush he’s never rushing past someone and the D always seems to have position on him I’ve never seen him make a dman turn awkwardly from a rush

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Okay. Well what I see NOW is a guy who skates well and can get engaged in the corners.
I just dont see any high end skill from the guy.
But he could be a good third line grinder?

I really like how he follows players and hits them that’s one of his best early features. When he’s like 225 he will wreck people if he continues to focus on developing his physical game

He needs a few more offensive tricks to his game other than that fade to the side shot thru a screen

Reactions: azcanuck

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
He really needs to work on his lower body. A significant part of the issue is his strength and conditioning. More work on his technique wouldnt help, but hes already improved a lot, even if he still looks awkward.

His hands, shot, positioning and passes are all improving at least, but the athletic side needs a lot of work.

Yea I think once he gains his adult weight a lot of his skating and balance issues should be much better I’d like to see him really add some sprint ability to his skating

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah well most "connoisseurs" on this website wouldn't even consider Tkachuk in their top 25 so these people can't come back and ***** about this pick.
I was admittedly one of the people who didn’t watch Tkachuk, but because I didn’t see much more upward growth in his game because he was already mature physically. Then you sit back and realize this organization can’t develop a prospect to save their life anyways, so Tkachuk as is would have been perfect for them.

I was also clearly wrong about the upward progression in his game but Ottawa can also develop prospects.

Again, I think in the right situation Kotkaniemi should be a 1C and develop into it, but I don’t trust our organization. Our track record is horrible with this regime.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Lol what ?
Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember a mock draft on here where he wasn't even drafted in the top 15-20. The official one had him drafted 12th. I mean I still like the KK pick, I'm just playing devil's advocate here and I can't pretend I know more on prospects than most of you, but I just remember how Tkachuk was hated by most who considered he had very limited upside.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember a mock draft on here where he wasn't even drafted in the top 15-20. The official one had him drafted 12th. I mean I still like the KK pick, I'm just playing devil's advocate here and I can't pretend I know more on prospects than most of you, but I just remember how Tkachuk was hated by most who considered he had very limited upside.

Hindsight is funny on this one. Tkachuk probably would have been the ideal pick considering he could ultimately be a quality NHL player without any development needed. I could also say the same for Hughes, but there was no way the Habs were going to go in that direction as they clearly prefer their defensemen to have complimentary offensive skillsets (as opposed to being showrunners). Only thing I will mention: it's not like Tkachuk is setting the world on fire this year either. 24 points in 43 games is fine, but it's not so outstanding where I'd be pushing the comparison with anguish and despair.

Moving forward. I believe Barrett Hayton will be the better subject to compare anyway, for they were both centremen drafted far ahead of their projected slots.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
KK is the perfect example of drafting higher a player because of a good U18. Bad mistake.

he wasn’t worthy of the third overall selection and will never be. I see him like Lars Eller in the futur.

Should have gone with Tkachuk. At least we would have had a real top 6.

Still baffled that Timmins still has a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad