Confirmed with Link: Jesper Sellgren signed to ELC

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I mean, this dude can really play. At this point you'd think Fleury's future with the Canes is very much in doubt and back in the latter days of JR we would've killed to have a couple young d-men of his competence.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I mean, this dude can really play. At this point you'd think Fleury's future with the Canes is very much in doubt and back in the latter days of JR we would've killed to have a couple young d-men of his competence.
And tbh I think the dude, Fleury, still has top 4 potential. When he was picked he had to think he was going to the best place imaginable as a d-man picked in the top 10. Next thing you know Slavin and Pesce turn into absolute studs and the Canes managed to be bad enough for Hanifin.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Well he has one year left on his deal in the SHL. He’ll probably finish his contract and then join Charlotte.

This makes no sense. If he was going to finish up his contract in the SHL, why would he sign with us? He would be a UFA if he went back to Sweden for another year. He signed because he's coming over.

Reactions: Unsustainable

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

IMO, it also goes to show how big a mistake it is to take d-men in the Top 10, unless they are "franchise" type guys. Our sixth-round pick from 2018 just passed our No. 7 overall pick from 2014 on our depth chart. Fleury may be a top-4 somewhere, but that's not going to be here. I hope he gets moved this summer just so he can have a chance at a career. I really wish we had taken literally *anyone* else with that pick.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fair point on the ELC not sliding. The transfer fee would come to in effect if he makes the roster. He can be borrowed for a short period and “loaned” back to his SHL team without having to pay his ELC salary or transfer fee. As long as Sellgren’s contract allows for him to be transferred of course.

I'm only guessing (in educated fashion I hope), but I'd assume there is no option to not pay the transfer fee in a case like this where the guy is not Slide eligible. He's full Canes property now without any contractual obligation* to offer him back to SHL in case he doesn't make the roster.

(* caveat: we don't know yet if he got an European Assignment clause on his SPC to give him the personal option to be loaned to overseas team instead of AHL if he doesn't make the NHL roster, but that wouldn't effect on the transfer fee between the teams I guess)

But, I have to admit, a promise to send him back to get paid SHL money instead of AHL money could have been an enticer to get him to sign with us now.

But it would be a bit funny and unusual that guy is loaned to Euro league after his ELC has started burning.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This makes no sense. If he was going to finish up his contract in the SHL, why would he sign with us? He would be a UFA if he went back to Sweden for another year. He signed because he's coming over.

It would allow him to get a shot at getting into NHL and the NHL monies a year early? Or two, as we don't know how it's going to be with the season 2020-21.

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
Google translated articles

"Luleå's defensemen has signed a three-year contract with the NHL team Carolina Hurricanes. According to Ulf Engman, assistant GM in Luleå Hockey, the club has been waiting for this announcement.
- It was very expected that they would sign a contract with him now. But then it becomes a tricky situation, he takes a regular place in the NHL so he is lost so it is, says Ulf Engman and continues:
- But we have a good dialogue with Jesper and his agent. And he is more eager to be in Luleå than to play in AHL and we have the rights to it on our side. So it will be either NHL or Luleå Hockey, says Engman."

"Not on the world map"
ISHOCKEY Late Tuesday evening the announcement came. The Luleå Hockey defenceman Jesper Sellgren has signed a contract with the NHL club Carolina Hurricanes. "A childhood dream comes true," explains Sellgren.
Håkan Stridblom23: 14 | 2019-05-28
Jesper Sellgren came to Luleå Hockey before last season.
Already after a season in SHL, the talent has impressed so much that he was offered a contract with the former Luleåcenter Lucas Wallmarks club, Carolina.
- Had anyone told me a year ago I had said "It's just bullshit" because I wasn't even drafted. It was so far away and was not even in my minds and not on the world map, says a satisfied Sellgren.

Sellgren left Luleå after the team had gone out to the semi-finals against Frölunda to play with the AHL team Charlotte Checkers. It turned out to be a success draw because now the 20-year-old has a signed contract in his hotel room.
- It is so much fun and it is a childhood dream that comes true. Having a look at an NHL contract has been a carrot as long as I remember.
How important was it to you that you went over to play in Charlotte Checkers?
- Well, just for the contract, I do not know if it was particularly important. But for me personally, it was important that I had to get to know the surroundings, the club and also play on the small rink here over, explains Sellgren.
The contract signed by Sellgren is a so-called rookie contract, which means that he can be sent to AHL, but then another situation arises.
- If I do not take a seat in the NHL then Luleå Hockey has the right to demand me home. I do not expect that there will be any AHL game next season.
So then you play another season in Luleå Hockey?
- It will be enough if I do not take a seat in Carolina Hurricanes, says Sellgren before continuing:
- Everything indicates that I play one season in SHL.
How would it feel with a contract written in North America?
- I have no problem with that. I want to do the most development for me, says Sellgren and continues:
- But the goal is to join the NHL team because then I would be coached here directly by Carolina, but it is only up to them and nothing that anyone else can influence.
What chance do you think you have to beat Carolina's NHL team?
- It's hard to say, but they've had some injuries at the end. At the same time, much will happen during the summer with new contract writings. So right now it's nothing I can say about it.
- We have to wait until the start of the season with the speculation.
The contract between the parties was written a few days ago, but the contact between Sellgren and Carolina has been tight during the winter.
- We have had a dialogue all season where I have received feedback after the matches. It has been positive all the time.
Currently, Jesper Sellgren plays with Carolina's father team Charlotte Checkers in the AHL playoffs (Calder Cup) and the team is at a final against Chicago Wolves.
- It is the second best league over here and it is a great prestige that we have taken so far. It will be very fun to play the final, says Sellgren.
What happens after the playoffs. Do you stay there or?
- After the final play is over, I go home to Sweden to be home over the summer, he finally says."

https://www.nsd.se/sport/100-hockey/lulea-om-sellgren-det-var-valdigt-vantat-nm5125422.aspx
https://www.nsd.se/sport/100-hockey/backen-om-kontraktet-inte-pa-varldskartan-nm5125449.aspx

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm only guessing (in educated fashion I hope), but I'd assume there is no option to not pay the transfer fee in a case like this where the guy is not Slide eligible. He's full Canes property now without any contractual obligation* to offer him back to SHL in case he doesn't make the roster.

(* caveat: we don't know yet if he got an European Assignment clause on his SPC to give him the personal option to be loaned to overseas team instead of AHL if he doesn't make the NHL roster, but that wouldn't effect on the transfer fee between the teams I guess)

But, I have to admit, a promise to send him back to get paid SHL money instead of AHL money could have been an enticer to get him to sign with us now.

But it would be a bit funny and unusual that guy is loaned to Euro league after his ELC has started burning.
Its clause 11.19 of the CBA, if I interpret it right. We don’t have to pay salary or a transfer fee if he plays in Europe next season. Nabokov rule

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Its clause 11.19 of the CBA, if I interpret it right. We don’t have to pay salary or a transfer fee if he plays in Europe next season. Nabokov rule

This is the "European Assignment" clause, that Sellgren can ask into his SPC. The team prolly isn't too keep to grant that extra right to a player.

I don't think this effects on the transfer fee, but I don't know the particulars as the NHL/IIHF transfer agreement isn't public. I would guess signing the SPC pretty much automatically triggers the transfer fee to be paid as the NHL team gets the control.

The club that gets the fee isn't party to the EA clause in the SPC which grants the right to go overseas only to the player.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This is the "European Assignment" clause, that Sellgren can ask into his SPC. The team prolly isn't too keep to grant that extra right to a player.

I don't think this effects on the transfer fee, but I don't know the particulars as the NHL/IIHF transfer agreement isn't public. I would guess signing the SPC pretty much automatically triggers the transfer fee to be paid as the NHL team gets the control.

The club that gets the fee isn't party to the EA clause in the SPC which grants the right to go overseas only to the player.

I think this is probably correct that the transfer fee is automatically paid upon signing the SPC.

I'd also guess there's a fee that will be paid back to Carolina as part of the "European Assignment" in lieu of going to the AHL. Not as much as the transfer fee, but something if Sellgren is loaned back next season.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think this is probably correct that the transfer fee is automatically paid upon signing the SPC.

I'd also guess there's a fee that will be paid back to Carolina as part of the "European Assignment" in lieu of going to the AHL. Not as much as the transfer fee, but something if Sellgren is loaned back next season.

Only guessing again but I have hard time believing that the IIHF side would have agreed to pay any fees, if the NHL team and the player mutually agree to an SPC clause and the player then opts to use it. The IIHF teams generally speaking don't have this money to throw at NHL, and the transfer fee monies probably get in short order earmarked for the contracts of the players the teams hastily sign to replace the super talent who ditches to NA.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Seems a little early to claim Sellgren has passed Fleury. Has he even passed McKeown and Carrick who look like AAAA level players? What's the at the root of all this excitement?

Shiny new toy.

Not that he isn’t a good prospect. He just hasn’t had enough time to show any flaws.

Sellgren barely saw the ice during the OT periods and regulation crunch time in gm 6 vs. the Marlies. He’s a good prospect, but to say he’s passed Fleury on the depth chart I think may be just a tad bit premature.

Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but with Sellgren being either NHL or Sweden, and Fleury requiring waivers, it's not hard to see a path forward that includes Sellgren at the NHL level and Fleury on another team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but with Sellgren being either NHL or Sweden, and Fleury requiring waivers, it's not hard to see a path forward that includes Sellgren at the NHL level and Fleury on another team.

Or that's why Carolina agreed to such a clause: put Sellgren in Sweden for one more year but still under contract long-term and be able to retain Fleury (or McKeown) as the 7th D.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ideally, he’d play next year in Charlotte and get top 4 mins, but I don’t think that’s possible. It sounds like he’ll be playing 20mins a night in Sweden next year too, so not a bad way to develop. The lack of up and coming D to fill out Clt next year is a little concerning I think, but it’s not like they won’t be able to sign 2-3 Carricks next year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Damned sneaky Canes posted his contract info somewhere where the capfriendly hasn't yet found it:

Canes Sign Sellgren to Entry-Level Contract

At the NHL level, Sellgren will be paid $700,000 in 2019-20 and 2020-21 and $750,000 in 2021-22. The deal pays him $70,000 annually at the AHL level and he receives a signing bonus of $260,000.

The capfiends are very suspiciously off:

Jesper Sellgren - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Canes site figures come up to $2.46M when summed up.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Capfriendly apparently got their confirmation on his contract:

Jesper Sellgren - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The contract suggests he signed with Canes to get his ELC going but he might go back to Sweden for the next season to serve out his SHL contract in Lulea.

The Lulea guy in that one article expected him to get signed by Canes but also was hopeful for getting him back for this fall. There being no "performance" bonus (looks like games played bonus from the numbers) for year 1 unlike for years 2 and 3 strongly hints that he and his agent don't see like at all him playing 10+ NHL games in 2019-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad