Oct 31, 2007
How many defensemen should we play?

giphy.gif

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I agree. I have no idea why Sellgren signed, but I guess maybe he has an inept agent? Regardless, good news for us.

I wonder what our sales pitch was? "Sign here and we can guarantee you'll be at least our 10th option at the NHL level!"

I was going to say “this must mean an NHL D shakeup because otherwise we’re so stacked in Charlotte,” but then I went to CapFriendly and realized every one of our non-NHL top 6 D are on expiring contracts except Bean. Assuming we re-sign McKeown, Sellgren still will likely be top 4 in Charlotte next year if his current level of play is any indication.

I think you’re right, behind this year’s 7, Bean, and McKeown, he’s 10th right now.

I agree, from an earnings perspective it’s hard to see why he did this. Not complaining in the slightest though.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I agree. I have no idea why Sellgren signed, but I guess maybe he has an inept agent? Regardless, good news for us.

I wonder what our sales pitch was? "Sign here and we can guarantee you'll be at least our 10th option at the NHL level!"
As stated in the other thread, there are a ton of things that can happen between now and 1-2 years down the line to our d-corps. Highly unlikely anyone would sign him to immediately play in the NHL even if he waited for the UFA route (how many other teams really know much about him even?). Now he gets a chance to immediately play for an NHL franchise to prove himself. He's either good enough to force his way into the lineup in a year or two (either spots open due to expiring contracts or trading players) or make himself an enticing trade option for a team who wants him and has a spot open for him. It's probably his fastest route to the NHL vs waiting a year or two to become a UFA and pick his spot, likely starting with that teams AHL franchise before having a chance to move up

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
As stated in the other thread, there are a ton of things that can happen between now and 1-2 years down the line to our d-corps. Highly unlikely anyone would sign him to immediately play in the NHL even if he waited for the UFA route (how many other teams really know much about him even?). Now he gets a chance to immediately play for an NHL franchise to prove himself. He's either good enough to force his way into the lineup in a year or two (either spots open due to expiring contracts or trading players) or make himself an enticing trade option for a team who wants him and has a spot open for him. It's probably his fastest route to the NHL vs waiting a year or two to become a UFA and pick his spot, likely starting with that teams AHL franchise before having a chance to move up

I believe, drafted as an overager as he was, he would have been eligible for UFA next June. I get what you're saying, but it's going to take a lot for Sellgren to sniff the NHL for at least two years with us.

And I'm quite certain after the season he just had, that no team is sleeping on him now, especially after stepping right into the Checkers lineup and scoring in Game 4 of the ECF *in* Toronto.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
First, from what I have seen (admittedly on AHL-TV) Sellgren fits in.
Second, the defensive depth is not that impressive. The left does have more options: Fleury, Bean, and now Sellgren. However, in Raleigh de Haan is injury-prone and Pesce is playing his off-side. If Fleury is traded, Bean moves up, and Pesce goes back to the right, the Sellgren is the first option as soon as October.

On a side note, the Canes need to draft 4 or more D-men in 2019. Because if Martin doesn't sign, there really is nothing in the pipeline for Charlotte.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
On a side note, the Canes need to draft 4 or more D-men in 2019. Because if Martin doesn't sign, there really is nothing in the pipeline for Charlotte.

There’s this really good guy Jesper Sellgren that they just signed...

With the NHL depth that we have and the years we have them locked up long term, I think we can survive a year or two of a more veteran Charlotte group. Very few AHL teams have a top 4 of legitimate prospects to be NHL players, and that’s what they currently have with Fleury, Bean, McKeown, and Sellgren. (Though I’ll admit, the fact that there’s been no smoke with McKeown in the last year or two has me concerned. May be another Carrick situation - our perpetual “he could be a bottom pairing guy right now” prospect that just never is.)

Re-sign McKeown and Carrick as good AHL defensemen, Sellgren’s there, Bean maybe/maybe not depending on NHL moves. It’s not the deep pipeline we’ve had, but it’s not Brett Bellemore and Rasmus Rissanen. AHL teams are always going to go through these ebbs and flows. Charlotte is more stacked with actual prospects than I can remember at any point (which makes going to the finals all the more exciting, it’s not on the backs of a giant group of career AHLers). We just signed a pretty good guy to add to the group.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I prefer Charlotte to have a couple high-end D prospects and then 4-5 veteran AAAA defenders. Provides the best support for both the Canes forward prospects and goalies. While also still allowing prospects like Bean or Sellgren to get prime minutes.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Complaining about the fact we just sign our best D prospect not named Bean? Yeah, okay.

We are in good spot, no doubt but...
- de Haan has some pretty brutal history with injuries.
- TVR while ideal on bottom pair is what he is - good bottom pairing guy. Way too expensive for #5 guy. I doubt he has future here.
- Faulk - soon UFA.
- McKeown is just AHLer.
- Fleury - no future here at all.

If they continue to develop (Bean/Sellgren), we could move from Faulk, could trade Hamilton... a lot of options honestly. I'm fine with this. Exactly what we need. Good and talented young kids. I would love if Bean/Sellgren becomes next Slavin/Pesce and we roll up with homegrown core of talented and pretty cheap contracts.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah, that would be bigger problem if the average age of our *NHL* defense wasn't 26.0.
Of the top 6:
2 UFA in 2020.
1 UFA in 2021.
(Also Seattle expansion draft in 2021.)
1 UFA in 2022.

Plenty of reason to see a path for a kid who isn't insisting upon an immediate path to the NHL. Even if Fleury, McKeown, and Bean all successfully move up from Charlotte, which isn't guaranteed by any stretch, there's still plenty of potential open slots coming.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I agree with the sentiment that he's got quite a few bodies between him and a regular NHL role. these things have a way of working themselves out, I think. if Sellgren develops at the top end of his potential and starts banging on the door, I doubt they'll let the NHL team languish by keeping him in Charlotte. otherwise, I feel like a "positional competition is good and raises the bar throughout the organization" mantra fits here.

but looking at it from perhaps a different team-building angle, it's hard to argue that the 2018 6th round pick was ill-spent on Sellgren. and if this is what can be expected from depth draft picks by the management Borg going forward, even allowing for Sellgren to be an outlier development-wise, that is a great sign for long-term organizational stability. for now, at least, Rick Dudley / Robert Kron / Tony MacDonald have a good thing going.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Well he has one year left on his deal in the SHL. He’ll probably finish his contract and then join Charlotte.

He could be a 9 game tryout guy in October to buy time. He is a LH shot but doesn’t he prefer the right side?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Complaining about the fact we just sign our best D prospect not named Bean? Yeah, okay.

We are in good spot, no doubt but...
- de Haan has some pretty brutal history with injuries.
- TVR while ideal on bottom pair is what he is - good bottom pairing guy. Way too expensive for #5 guy. I doubt he has future here.
- Faulk - soon UFA.
- McKeown is just AHLer.
- Fleury - no future here at all.

If they continue to develop (Bean/Sellgren), we could move from Faulk, could trade Hamilton... a lot of options honestly. I'm fine with this. Exactly what we need. Good and talented young kids. I would love if Bean/Sellgren becomes next Slavin/Pesce and we roll up with homegrown core of talented and pretty cheap contracts.
Eh can't say that for sure with Fleury and McKeown, though yeah most likely case for Fleury is we hold him for Seattle to take to make sure we don't lose someone even more valuable, and that's about it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Perhaps he's more confident than a Freddy Andersen or Adam Fox that seemed to want easier paths to the NHL.

Perhaps he has some loyalty to a team that drafted him after not having been drafted.

Perhaps he sees injury and contract situations that may work out for him.

Perhaps he sees his competition up close in Charlotte and thinks he's got this in the bag.

Perhaps he really likes NC BBQ.

Perhaps he or his agent are aware that we are developing a good track record for developing talented young dmen.

Any number of reasons he might have signed beyond an inept agent.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well he has one year left on his deal in the SHL. He’ll probably finish his contract and then join Charlotte.

He could be a 9 game tryout guy in October to buy time. He is a LH shot but doesn’t he prefer the right side?

He's 20, so not Slide eligible. His ELC starts burning from the day one wherever he plays, so there's no 9 game considerations here. Canes org will want him in NA.

The IIHF/NHL transfer agreement has it that the NHL SPC supercedes the contract to a club in an IIHF-associated league, so the SHL contract wouldn't mean much in any case. They get a $200k+ transfer fee for their troubles and are happy about that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He's 20, so not Slide eligible. His ELC starts burning from the day one wherever he plays, so there's no 9 game considerations here. Canes org will want him in NA.

The IIHF/NHL transfer agreement has it that the NHL SPC supercedes the contract to a club in an IIHF-associated league, so the SHL contract wouldn't mean much in any case. They get a $200k+ transfer fee for their troubles and are happy about that.
Fair point on the ELC not sliding. The transfer fee would come to in effect if he makes the roster. He can be borrowed for a short period and “loaned” back to his SHL team without having to pay his ELC salary or transfer fee. As long as Sellgren’s contract allows for him to be transferred of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad