Jesper Pettersson - D - 5'8" - 187 - Linkoping Sweden - 2014 pick (7-198)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
sz817c1a.jpg

Final Rank European skater: N/A -- Midterm Rank: 72
Position: Defenseman Shoots: Right
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 180
Born: July 16, 1994
Born in: Stockholm, SWE
Drafted: 2014: PHI (7th Round / 198th Overall) Philadelphia Flyers

The NHL has two different height and weight listings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=11000

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
No notes on him lol.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 25s
PHI takes Jesper Pettersson. Some may remember him from past World Juniors. Little guy who can play.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
From ElitePorspects:

Pettersson is a defensive defenseman. Although small in stature, he is very stocky and plays like a much bigger man. He likes the rough stuff and blocks shots. Might also have some offensive upside.
- Erik K. Piri, EP (2014)

Sounds like a Kimmo 3.0 haha with less O

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ahh, he was the one who got suspended for the gold medal game, right?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
He has 60 SHL-games already. Undersized. Was going to play in the WJC two years ago but got injured THE HIT.

He played in the last WJC but was suspended in the final after coming out of the penalty box and doing this Flyer attitude ;)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He is ok... good on D and chippy, he likely steps into AHL and battles for a #6-7 role on the Flyers very soon if not straight away.

But from what I have seen his ceiling is a bottom pairing NHLer. I dont think he has the ability to put up points. But tbh there is nothing left that could be above #4 anyway, so ok taking a 5-6 who is more likely to hit it, since he was competant in the SHL this year already.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ahh, he was the one who got suspended for the gold medal game, right?

Yes, he is.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=24733

Sweden forward Jesper Pettersson has been suspended by the IIHF Disciplinary Panel for the gold-medal game of the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship on Sunday against Finland (1 p.m ET, NHLN-US).

Pettersson was suspended for leaving the penalty box to engage in an altercation with a Russian player during Sweden’s 2-1 win against Russia in the semifinals on Saturday.

Pettersson had been in the penalty box after being whistled for slashing with 19 seconds left in the game. When the final buzzer sounded, Pettersson left the penalty box and entered a scrum along the wall. Pettersson grabbed Russia’s Andrei Mironov and the pair began exchanging punches.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I like this pick a lot. He's a safe pick, chances of hitting a homer in the seventh round are nearly nonexistent.

I'll take the bunt here on a steady D. Not concerned about height; weight matters more. Like Appleyard's saying, he'll probably be in the AHL right away which I'm intrigued by.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
The fans calls him "Pitbull". ;)

Had problems in his own zone this season and did not take the step that most people excpected. But still has a lot in him, plays much bigger than his size might indicate.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Was excellent in the WJC for Sweden.
He was good, but nothing really stood out to me about him. But I guess when talking about Swedish defense, that's a good thing, since it means I must have thought he was reliable. From what I recall, he didn't play that much, though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Maybe he can play in the AHL right away?

I doubt it. Maybe in 2015. Even highly rated Swedes often stay until they are 21. His contract runs out after next season, so if he proves to be NHL caliber, he may get a shot then, but they hold his rights until his is 24, so there is no rush on the Flyers' end.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Look at that picture in the OP with him standing next to the boards, there's no way he's 5'8", unless they have some tall ass boards in Europe :laugh:

But what do I know.

Edit: And yes I know he's not standing up straight in that picture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad