Prospect Info: Jesper Lindgren

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, but if you consider his talent that was not really a breakthrough. He has said on multiple occasions that he was considering going back to Sweden after he finished the last Pens contract. (Personally I also think this partly had to do with previous view Swedes had on what was considered a good enough NHL career. Basically it was: either you become a star or it is not really worth it.)

I don't blame the Pens for this obviously, it's mostly a matter of coincidence and timing.
Well. We got back hot garbage and that's what annoys most people. I can't imagine the canucks were the only team that wanted naslund which tells you Stojanov was their target.

It also tells you how absolutely f***ing idiotic that scouting staff and management was for that deal.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Hey Pens fans. Leafs fans here.
During the stoppage, I did a top 20 Leafs prospects report, so with Lindgren now your property, here is the piece on Lindgren. I had him 11th on the top 20.

11. RHD Jesper Lindgren
Overview

Speaking of the Lindgren, he is next in my rankings at 11. Anyone who has seen my posts over the year knows I have been hyping him up. He is one of my favorite prospects and maybe even my favorite as strange as that sounds. He was drafted in the 4th round in 2015. People had him as a sleeper in the draft. In the 16/17 season, he played in the Allsvenskan league which is the tier 1 league of the SHL so a step below, and Lindgren posted 24 points in 51 games, and it was clear he needed a bigger challenge. He signed a 2 year deal with HPK of the Finnish league, and he played a defensive role on a team that underachieved finishing with 8 points in 43 games. Leafs however signed him to an ELC which indicated Leafs were happy with Lindgren's progression. Here is what Lindgren in regard to the season. “I want to be a complete hockey player who can play defence and offence. I think what I need to improve most is to get stronger and be a little faster so that I can win battles in the corner,” he said.
“I got a big role defensively, I played a lot of penalty killing and that helped me a lot, but I played powerplay too, just a little bit less than usual. It’s no excuse though. I could have done more. I need to shoot more if I want more points. The plan is to go back to Finland for one more year to get a big role like I had last year and play probably even more. The only thing with hockey is you need to play to develop. I will get to play a lot there. It’s business. It’s a little bit smaller in Finland compared to Sweden and that helps a lot too but it’s even smaller here and takes a while. I just need to get used to it.” (taken from Scott Wheeler’s Athletic article).
He made no excuses in regards to his production despite being in a defensive role. The next season his production took off. He posted 19 points in 45 games. He more then doubled his production while playing only 2 more games. He also played a few playoff games for the Marlies, looking really solid after struggling the year before in limited games. This season he went to the Marlies and on many nights was one of the better defenceman for the Marlies, and Keefe seemed to share the opinion, as after Lindgren was in the rotation at the start of the season, he was removed from the rotation and became a regular on defence. Lindgren put up 9 points in 31 games with no PP time. If Lindgren can just continue this progression and get a deserving bigger role, the NHL should be in his future.

Stats
2017/2018
GP: 43
Goals: 2
Assists: 6
Rating: -4
TOI: 20:14

2018/2019
GP: 45
Goals: 2
Assists: 17
Rating: -2
TOI: 18:56

Advanced Stats

2017/2018
Corsi%: 45.5
Corsi Close%: 44.6

2018/2019
Corsi%: 59.4
Corsi Close%: 59.0

Defenceman 22 years and younger, he was 5th in PPG.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in COR%.
Among all players that have played at least 20 games, he was 9th in COR%.
Among all D man that have played at least 20 games, he was 2nd in Corsi Close.

Statistical Analysis
Usually I don't put a separate heading for advanced numbers, but I think here I have to as it really tells the story. After struggling posession wise as the entire team was as a whole, HPK had a corsi% of 47.4. Lindgren was amazing the next season where he was one of the better players at driving play. He also produced well in terms of his age group. When Lindgren was put more into a 2 way role and not just a strict defensive role, he produced at a nice clip. This season with the Marlies he has 9 points in 31 games, but all those points are at even strength, so the numbers are actually fine, especially when you consider the 3rd pair ice time and no PP time.

Talent Analysis

Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good

5-great

Player grades:
Present/Future
Skating: 4.5/4.5
Shot: 2/2.5
Puck Skills: 3.5/3.5
Defence: 4/4
Compete: 3.5/3.5
IQ/Smarts: 4/4
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of Lindgren’s strengths is his skating. He moves around the ice very well with and without the puck. All the elements part of skating, Lindgren has them. Whether its top speed, back skating, side to side movement, there aren’t any weaknesses. It's a very effortless motion. It's a pleasure to watch him skate.

Lindgren's passing is top notch, and is a great puck mover as a result of his puck carrying. He can quarterback a PP, as his ability to make plays can be a big factor there. His passing in the defensive zone to the offensive zone always stands out. He puts them right on the tape his teammates. He also moves the puck extremely well, and can hold on to it for a long while escaping pressure and finding an outlet. I don't have him as a 4 because I don't see a wow factor, but he produces because of his solid playmaking. His shot is below average. It doesn’t have a lot of power, and isn’t really a threat. Its not a concern though, as Lindgren’s game is about creativity and passing. I felt he can be more aggressive sometimes with his offense.

Going back to the last point, the lack of attacking might show how he has shifted from an offensive defenceman to a 2 way defenceman. Lindgren isn’t going to lay a big hit in the corner to get the puck, but his commitment will still be there, and he will cut off players on the cycle despite not being strong. This was what really impressed me with the Marlies. His one on one defending was really good which really surprised me, and he played a solid gap in transition. It's not a surprise Keefe gave him PK time. He made his biggest gains over the years defensively, to the point where I classify him in the good category.
He works hard and does what you want a player too. He does deserve to a 3.5 for what he has done to improve defensively.
Really smart player. He does the right things when he has the puck, and doesn't panic with the puck. He makes the correct passes in all 3 zones. He is extremely calm on the ice. In the defensive zone, he cuts the players off when needed, and doesn't go chasing.
Side information everyone, ignore any typos or grammar issues, I am just getting started.

My future projection: he is a great skating puckmover who is reliable all over the ice. I think he becomes a piece for the Leafs if this progression continues.
NHL Player? Yes
that puts him ahead of jj

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Well. We got back hot garbage and that's what annoys most people. I can't imagine the canucks were the only team that wanted naslund which tells you Stojanov was their target.

It also tells you how absolutely f***ing idiotic that scouting staff and management was for that deal.

Well, thanks to that management you got bad enough to later get the picks of Crosby and Malkin which was the base for 3 cups. So I don't really feel sorry for Pens fans :)

Also, you can always comfort yourselves that your Pennsylvania rivals did a way worse trade when they got Lindros. Atleast if we see what it finally resulted in!

(Fyi, I not a true fan of any NHL-team I just support MoDo alumni)

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As a leafs fan, I liked him as a prospect. He strikes me as a low ceiling, but high floor type. Good defensively and in transition. He skates very well. He will likely slot top 4 in Wilkes-Barre, which is something he couldn't have in Toronto. He might make it as 6/7d in 2022, when he is waiver eligible.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just looked up his size on HockeyDB. Is he still only 176 lbs? He's listed as 6'1, which is decent, but a defenseman who is only 176 lbs. gives me concern about being able to handle NHL forwards.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Just looked up his size on HockeyDB. Is he still only 176 lbs? He's listed as 6'1, which is decent, but a defenseman who is only 176 lbs. gives me concern about being able to handle NHL forwards.

Doesn't matter. Sully gonna dress him as 4LW

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

im not sure if he was any good to begin with but wasnt he in a bad car accident that really sealed his fate?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't mean this at all to undermine the OP whatsoever as he clearly has gone way deeper on this than me and I had no idea who Lindgren was (I got a text that said we traded 15 and the Swede for Kapanen while on vacation, so I'm just recovering)...I put on some tape of Lindgren and got about eight shifts in or so and shut it off...thinking I was just being surly from no longer being on a beach with my tequila, I grabbed a couple more sequences of him breaking out and attacking and then a couple of him attempting to defend (just standard stuff, like rush absorption...nothing tricky) and that didn't help...

I hope the OP has it on point and I'm just really, really bad at this...I just don't see how this player could possibly play an NHL game...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mean this at all to undermine the OP whatsoever as he clearly has gone way deeper on this than me and I had no idea who Lindgren was (I got a text that said we traded 15 and the Swede for Kapanen while on vacation, so I'm just recovering)...I put on some tape of Lindgren and got about eight shifts in or so and shut it off...thinking I was just being surly from no longer being on a beach with my tequila, I grabbed a couple more sequences of him breaking out and attacking and then a couple of him attempting to defend (just standard stuff, like rush absorption...nothing tricky) and that didn't help...

I hope the OP has it on point and I'm just really, really bad at this...I just don't see how this player could possibly play an NHL game...

He likely won't.

But then again, Chad Ruhwedel is on his 4th season (and more) of being our #7. So all kinds of idiocy is possible in Pittsburgh Hockey.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Always like going back to these to see what was forecasted when he was a prospect and where a player is career-wise today.

Not knowing the full story, seems curious that he spent two seasons in Liiga and not the more competitive SHL in his native Sweden. Played just four games during Marlies' Calder Cup conference finals run in 2018-19 and just 31 AHL games last year. Seems like a AHL, financial move and nothing to get excited about either way.

Jesper Lindgren - Hockey's Future

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petts has decent attributes as a D man but he is simply unable to hang with bigger forwards who just rag doll his butt. Unless he somehow matures and gains needed size and strength, extending him for 20 million was a bad reach again ala Olli. He has to go before he puts this franchise in a giant hole that will take years to get out of. Lindgrin may be an OK prospect but no question he is another add who simply lacks the needed size to be an NHL D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad